[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best RPG system for playing a medieval noble?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: Empress Ayn Vanar.jpg (121 KB, 728x1097) Image search: [Google]
Empress Ayn Vanar.jpg
121 KB, 728x1097
What's the best RPG system for playing a medieval noble?
>>
File: GURPS.png (106 KB, 246x432) Image search: [Google]
GURPS.png
106 KB, 246x432
>>44326783
>>
>>44326783

Why would you need a system for that?
>>
Houses of the Blooded is built around playing nobles in a somewhat unusual fantasy setting. It's an interesting game, focusing a lot on managing your estates, retaining face and managing your reputation and public image while doing what must be done. The mechanics are pretty cool, with an interesting risk/reward system where you can opt to roll less dice in order to have a greater degree of success if you do pass.
>>
>>44326829
Because I'm not actually a medieval noble.
>>
>>44326783
Pendragon probably fits the bill -- especially with the new supplements from Nocturnal supporting play at the baron level and up.
>>
>>44326970

Pendragon works for playing a lineage of knights, but is maybe suboptimal for nobles.

I'd say Burning Wheel. I've yet to play it, but I like what I've read (even if it's a lot more complicated than I generally go for) and I've heard people successfully playing lawyers and things, because of its robust systems for interpersonal connections and social combat vida Duel of Wits.
Having sat in a game once and witnessed a Duel of Wits, I'd say it would be amazing for use with squabbling nobles debating things in a court setting.
>>
>>44326850

Pleb.

But seriously, you don't need a system for that. Or rather, you can do it in ANY system, so the question is moot.
>>
Honestly, not even a joking answer, GURPS with the fiefdom and City Stats rules is probably the best idea.

You can also look at Pendragon and A Song of Ice and Fire. I played the second one, pretty swell experience.
>>
>>44326783
Ars magica.
>>
>>44328071
I don't play GURPS, but fiefdom and City States rules sound like they would be useful for various things I DM. What book are those in?
>>
>>44328013
>so the question is moot

That's why he's asking.
>>
>>44328352
The City book was its own supplement, pretty good one at that. Stats for everything from Constantinople to Sci-Fi colonies. The Fiefdom rules are part of the Pyramid magazine, easily downloadable from the GURPS general.
>>
>>44328431
Nice, thank you.
>>
>>44328352

Try Social Engineering, too.
>>
File: Nobilis_1_by_Islan_Kleinknecht.jpg (78 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
Nobilis_1_by_Islan_Kleinknecht.jpg
78 KB, 900x675
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 300x341) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 300x341
>>44326783
The Prince Valiant Storytelling Game
>>
File: reign_cover_b.jpg (59 KB, 250x334) Image search: [Google]
reign_cover_b.jpg
59 KB, 250x334
>>44326783
Reign covers that sort of thing.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.