[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guild Ball - Nobody can paint Masons edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: WP_20150424_002.jpg (372 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150424_002.jpg
372 KB, 1600x900
What's Guild Ball?

Short answer: The best game you haven't played

Slightly longer answer: Medieval mob ball crossed with gladiator combat from the coliseum.

Long Answer: Guild Ball is a table top skirmish game for a fantasy sport. You win by reaching a set amount of points before your opponent, which are gained by taking out his team, scoring goals, or a mix of the two. Playing Football or focusing entirely on combat are equally viable ways to win.

Teams represent one of the various trade guilds, currently there are 8 playable guilds with more being released next year. Guild ball is simple to pick up but hard to master. Teams are composed of six models, fielding a team for a full sized game costs <$100 USD.

Rules and templates for proxy models are available for free http://guildball.com/#downloads

Abridged Lore:
> Stupid humans are stupid humans and start fighting amongst themselves. Conflicts continue and escalate, strings of wars break out across the entire continent that become known as the Century War
> Century War is fucking ruining everything. The various trade guilds realise this is ultimately going to do nothing but bankrupt them and leave all their customers dead.
> Guilds unite behind the political scenes and simultaneously lean on all the weakened countries to eventually broker a peace.
> Realising that humans are fucking stupid ass animals, if they don't give them something to channel their aggression and nationalistic pride into the peace will be shortlived and the wars will resume.
> Guilds nationalise mob football, a popular peasant game in every country, as Guild Ball. Guild Ball essentially becomes Europe's The Premier League + Roman Gladiator fighting.
> Guild ball is keeping the peace but also making the guilds a fuckload of money.a

Learn to play Guild Ball: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7G-sTFpQto&list=PLWFbeAG_fgZMTCFPNHVgkoRh-KpbIb_Kj&index=13

Guild Ball world championship announcement https://youtu.be/6vreaekxsf4?t=66
>>
>>44323147
Lots of nice paintjobs out there, but never for Masons. Everyone seems to paint them like burn victims. Why?
>>
So if you qualify for the big tournament they pay for your flights and accommodation?
>>
More like nobody plays edition.
>>
Bought the butcher starter because a local shop is closing out on stocking it and put it on sale since it's a dead game here. Models are good, so plan to just gussy them up for my display shelf.
>>
>>44325556
USA?
>>
>>44323157
Because people who play Masons lack artistic talent, much like the team itself.
>>
Is it worth getting into?
>>
>>44331432
Do you like soccer/football, or alternatively do you like the idea of rushing the field and murdering all the players? Do you like balanced rules? Do you like games that are easy to learn but have high skill caps? If yes, then yes.

Try it for yourself and see, rules are all free.
>>
>>44331432

It's only worth getting into if you know you'll have people to play with. If you have people getting tired of games like Warmachine, like in my meta, it's a really easy sell.

The models are nice, but they're not so nice that you wouldn't want them to just sit on your shelf.

As for the game itself: it's hella fun. It's at a great early stage where almost everything in the game sees some sort of play time.
>>
>>44332415
Maybe this is just my experience but I find it's a really easy sell in general. I basically spawned an 8+ player scene just by giving demos for a week, and half the players are just random people who had never played a miniatures game in their life.

The only group that refuses to give it the time of day are the rapidly dwindling group of 40kids, but we're probably better off without them anyway, they can't handle the banter.
>>
/I should try harder to grab the KS mason leader lady.
>>
>>44332626
Yeah it's a pretty easy sell. We've had a 10 player group spring up out of one guy deciding to play some paper cutout proxy games.

Main draws are it's a very cheap miniatures game to get into, and it's a very fast paced and dynamic game.
>>
>>44333145
So what stage is your group at?

Mine is still at the "wait, Defensive Stance does what?" and "we literally can't stop Fishermen from scoring 1.5 times every single turn" level.

Also, I can't get anyone to print out their own fucking plot cards or reference sheets, considering homicide, please send help.
>>
>>44334467

Not the same guy, but my meta is at "Oh I don't see the harm with trying to fight Butchers in melee ow ow what the fuck why are three of our players dead".
>>
>>44327629
Yeah, not much of a miniature scene locally. I drive 40 minutes to another place to play WMH and Infinity.

Also no one there cares for Guild Ball.
>>
>>44334467
The groups been playing for all of a couple of weeks. First shipment of models, tokens, and cards just arrived at the LGS.

It's a pretty strong group though, some WTC players from Warmachine in it. Few people are already using the deathclock in games.

>>44337375
Try this to find a pundit (pressganger) https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zat7BoPHdQzw.k5lRjpJFGDY8

Has your group actually tried playing Guild Ball and don't like it or are they just eh, can't be bothered right now. If it's the latter get the proxies printed out and strongarm some of your friends in the group into trying it.
>>
>>44334467
>>44335816
I think probably the biggest hurdle to any new meta, beyond not trying to facetank Butchers, is the collective realization that Momentum is the most fucking important thing in the entire game.

The divide between shitty players and competent ones seems to hinge on proper use of Momentum, I'd advise everyone to try to drill the importance of it into your group's heads as early as possible.
>>
>>44323147

So it's basically Salute to the Jugger?
>>
>>44341287
what?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.