[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's with shitty normie players who refuse to learn how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: jingai.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jingai.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
What's with shitty normie players who refuse to learn how to roleplay or even rollplay?
>>
>>44320788
They're insecure enough to indulge in what's commonly seen as a "nerdy" hobby, so they see it like a board game or something rather than actually immerse in it.

>inb4 fedora
>>
>>44320815
>taking a tripfag who uses "normies" seriously

Advanced trolling. 3/10.
>>
File: baitserk.jpg (88 KB, 680x989) Image search: [Google]
baitserk.jpg
88 KB, 680x989
>>
>>44320788
I want to blow raspberries on her tummy.
>>
>All this normie butthurt
Smugpepe.jpg
>>
They think it's a waste of time even though they spend all day on snapchat or Twitter.
>>
>>44320788
>>>/r9k/
>>
File: 1398751209376.jpg (99 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1398751209376.jpg
99 KB, 894x894
Here's a better question. How do you get someone who isn't used to acting/role playing feel comfortable enough to start playing a role?

One of my friends in our group is quiet and reserved so unfortunately this makes his characters bland and boring compared to the others. He doesn't act like he's not paying attention or anything bad, he just doesn't know how to play anybody but himself. We're starting another game with a different DM and the DM is strongly telling him he needs to role play and he expects him to play his character the DM expects him to.

Aside from the poor social skills, he's a good player. He actually likes focusing on the noncombat aspects of D&D as opposed to the two murder hobos in the group who get bored when we aren't killing stuff. Me and another guy don't mind being quiet but the DM and his brother want him to play a character that doesn't act like himself.

tl;dr How do you get a quiet and reserved person to act more outspoken as a character.
>>
>>44321665
Ask him to imagine being someone that he knows. It could be a family member, a friend, a fictional character, a famous person, or many other things. The point is to get him comfortable being someone else first.
>>
>>44320788
>>44321382

agreed, need sauce
>>
File: hurpa derpa.jpg (63 KB, 826x258) Image search: [Google]
hurpa derpa.jpg
63 KB, 826x258
>>44321830
I don't even remember how many years 4chan has had built-in GIS.
>>
>>44321830
You do not want to.

Too much 穢れ.
>>
>>44320788
>tripfag
>unironic "normies"
fuck off.
>>
>>44320788
>tripfag
>normies

Back to tumblr.
>>
>>44321848
WTF

I've been using 4chan for 8 years now
>>
>>44322049
>I've been using 4chan for 8 years now
>WTF

Yeah right
>>
File: 1438687979516.jpg (303 KB, 780x484) Image search: [Google]
1438687979516.jpg
303 KB, 780x484
>>44320788

Just reeeeeeeeeeeeeee at them you autist.
>>
>>44321830
Looks like Big Bang Theory to me.
>>
>>44322057
I remember 4chan when it was just a subreddit.
>>
>>44321665
Playing a quiet and reserved character shouldn't be a problem, and while I don't know exactly what's going on with the new DM situation you've found yourself in, I'd find it rather unreasonable to tell players that you've got to roleplay a character a certain way unless the behaviour of their characters was disruptive to the gaming experience. Your quiet friend is engaged with the game and is, presumably, playing a character that he's comfortable playing and, if he's continuing to play and engage with the game, he's enjoying it. Why make him change? Unless he's the one coming up and saying "I need help playing a character that's not quiet and reserved because I want to", what he plays - as long as it's not disrupting the game - should not be a problem.

Not every player wants to be the guy in the spotlight, playing a charismatic bard who socializes his way through everything - and a game of people who were all playing that style of character would be a complete nightmare to manage. Everyone's level of commitment to the various aspects that come together to form a roleplaying game is different.

tl;dr Don't.
>>
>>44321665
Have everyone else make wholly bombastic characters and really ham it up with the roleplaying. It's a lot easier to play pretend when it's clear everyone's there to have fun
>>
>>44322484

This. Gotta lead by example.
>>
This is why you only play with Performance Art majors. Especially aspiring actors/thespians

Everyone else is trash in comparison at roleplaying than people who play pretend professionally
>>
>>44320788
>tripshit
>normie
This shit some distilled high-purity shit.
>>
>>44321848
I don't even care about the OP, just posting to thank you for teaching me something new.
>>
>>44320788
>BBT
You answered your own question OP
>>
>normies being the ones with this problem
If you can't roleplay at all then you probably have autism. Source: I have autism.
>>
>>44324231
People with autism can roleplay just fine. Source: I have two internet friends who have autism. Or possibly more but they never told me about it.
>>
>>44322422
As an introvert myself I appreciate your point but to be honest, this is a good opportunity for someone who avoids assertiveness to practice it in a safe nonjudgmental group setting. If he's never engaged in it before he doesn't know what he's missing/capable of, and working outside of one's comfort zone even for a little while can be educational regardless of the palmsweating results.

Also I wager that the degree of socialization that >>44321665 is referring to falls way below the threshold of a bombastic charismatic character. It sounds like it barely scrapes the requirements of basic communication skills.

Maybe he can learn something that would be useful to him in regular life, who knows. I'd only hesitate to force someone into doing something like this if they've done it before in the same setting and are painfully apprehensive about it from past experience.
>>
>>44321665

Quiet reserved guy here.

Easiest way for me is if I'm making fun of the character I'm playing. Not the whole character all the time, but a trait he has that I find fun to poke at or find it hilarious to over do.
>>
>>44322688
Virt?
>>
>>44322422
Sorry for not responding sooner. I didn't think I'd get any more responses.

The situation is the DM seems to be pressuring him to give his characters more personality. The DM's not outright bullying him but expects him to act a certain way instead of being quiet most of the time. My friend usually plays the more book savvy spellcaster characters and so far I don't think the rest of the group has a problem with that.

Since we're going to be playing a goblin, orc, kobold and dragonborn campaign soon he chose to be an orc barbarian for a change. Since he usually plays spellcasters, the DM wants him to act like an orc barbarian should for this campaign. I don't see a problem with him playing a quiet hermit barbarian or something but the DM wants him to act completely different than he usually does.

I don't know if the DM just doesn't like how he plays but he is highly emphasizing he needs to play the role he chose for this next campaign.

>>44322484
That shouldn't be a problem. We're going to be playing more humorously in this campaign. We're all going to be playing as some form of crazy misfit or idiot savant that causes or gets into shenanigans as we travel through towns.

>>44324739
That's actually pretty good advice, especially since this next campaign is meant to be goofy. I'll have to figure out a way to get him to express himself when we go back to more serious campaigns but this will help him come out of his shell for this game.
>>
>>44321382

Penny is two-bit Midwestern slut trash.
>>
>>44321382
Its to taut, you'll get no satisfaction from it
>>
>>44326253

Never seen BBT, seems like nerdsploitation to me.

She seems like she has an ok body. Mediocre face. Yeah I'd fuck her IRL but hot girls are a dime a dozen in hollywood so shouldn't we hold our pics to a higher standard?
>>
>>44324231
Guy with Assburgers here.
I can't roleplay in first person, do my character's voice, etc.

But I can roleplay in third person, "He/she would [insert awesome combat action here]."
I find it easier, and generally less embarrassing.
>>
>>44329210
BBT is actually fun and a hilarious insight into how some people are.
Both in the scientific and the nerd communities.

The plot is insufferable and physically painful, but the individual situations and the humor therein make it worthwhile.
>>
>>44332060
It has a plot?
>>
>>44332576
it has an overarching plot which is progressing at a snails pace, and each plot has an episode.

It's just unbearable if you concentrate on it, because every character is a cunt at times.

But the individual situations are funny, and even more so if you actually are a part of the scientific community or of nerd culture, because then you might find parallels between yourself or people you know and some of the characters.
>>
>>44332648>>44332576
*each episode has a plot
>>
>>44322398

4chan always will be sub-reddit.
>>
>>44332648
Melvin reminds me of autists I have to deal with IRL, and that alone turns me off the show completely.
>>
>>44332951
comedy is the best medicine.
Always look on the bright side of life and all that.
It's like its parodying all the idiots weirdos and autists by depicting them to be over the top so you can laugh about them instead of being annoyed by it on a day to day basis.
>>
File: trollingdragon.png (193 KB, 540x446) Image search: [Google]
trollingdragon.png
193 KB, 540x446
>>44321665
I've had some success starting them off with some easy roleplay. For one campaign, my guys rescued the son of a Thri-kreen war-chief creatively named Tars Tarkas. These bugs practically worshipped the party, and had a big feast where human captives may or may not have been consumed.
As the campfires burned down, they asked the party members to each tell them a story. Any story. And no matter what each player said, the bug men cheered it like it was a grand epic.
It was really fun seeing how my players reacted. The barbarian power gamer spun out this whole story about how awesome he was. Mass cheering. The chaotic neutral bard told a massively raunchy joke. Mass cheering. And the druid, our least comfortable player, after much persuading decided to go with "I'm a little teapot". Guess what? Mass cheering.
I think it helped to loosen everybody up and let them know that there isn't any wrong thing to do. I want them to know that no matter what shit they pull, I can spin something out of it. That's the hardest thing for new people to grasp, and I think knowing that makes them feel much more comfortable.
>>
>>44326689
No layer of fat is needed for raspberries you funny man.

Blowing raspberries on muscles is superior anyway.
>>
>>44332060
>being this much of a cuck
>>
>>44336233
if you don't think there are plenty of people i both the scientific community and nerd culture then you didn't spend enough time in either of them.

if you don't think it can be funny to see the exact same dumb shit people you know do parodied on television, then you lack humor.
>>
>>44336276
>if you don't think it can be funny to see the exact same dumb shit people you know do parodied on television, then you lack humor.

You can make a fucking dartboard out of sitcoms that lampoon the scientific community and nerd culture and I can guarantee you it would be a better show with actually funny jokes than the big bang theory.
>>
>>44336804
>sitcoms that lampoon the scientific community and nerd culture
i couldn't name one that wasn't exclusively made by nerds for nerds and thus failing to address some of the less pleasant issues.
>>
There are people here who like BBT?
>>
>>44336804
>a fucking dartboard

Name half a dozen or however many would fit on a dart board, your choice
>>
>>44337433
Sure, its a nice break from the comparative degeneracy of other sitcoms. Its nothing compared to, say, Mike & Molley or Two And A Half Men, not really sure how many sitcoms are on nowadays.

It does feature the obligatory nerd girl that gets passed around like a communion bowl but whatever.
>>
>>44337506
>nerd girl
M8
>>
>>44337506
Sorry, meant "communal nerd property girl"
>>
File: 1450154163357.gif (341 KB, 375x266) Image search: [Google]
1450154163357.gif
341 KB, 375x266
>>44321848
Best post in the thread.
>>
>>44329210
>Never seen BBT, seems like nerdsploitation to me.
That's exactly what it is. It's for normies and "lol so NERDY" people to feel smart and part of Nerddom. Basically your classic Friends-style sitcom, but replace everyone with redditors, and add a hot normie for the normies to drool over/identify with. Uses a lot of the same tropes and gags as any other sitcom, but replace most of the pop culture stuff with "nerd" stuff - Nintendo, Star Wars/Trek, DnD, computer crap - and the jobs with sciencey stuff. Not terribly funny, but it is a somewhat different take on the sitcom, and isn't especially dumb, so it's popular.
>>
>>44333007
Then it sure would help if it was funny
>>
>>44332060
>Fun and hilarious

Nigger you what?
>>
Participatory escapism is seen as shameful my normie society.
>>
>>44325579
no
you can tell its Virt when he responds to about 8 people without actually saying anything
>>
>>44336866
"Lab Rats"? It was a programme a few years ago on BBC Two. Had Chris Addison in it.
>>
>Liking Big Bang Theory
>Not being 9

fucking hell
>>
>>44337506
You... Think Two And A Half Men is good?
>>
>>44340780
Or is that sample degeneracy? Because that would actually make sense.
>>
>>44331304
I can understand finding it less embarrassing, but in what way do you find it easier?
>>
>>44320788
The same reason they don't care much about anything.
>>
>>44332060
Maybe the first season or two. Then it's become the parody of itself, as happens with any series that runs for more than 30 episodes.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.