[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there no games with fantasy India settings? There are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: 1448585797447.jpg (87 KB, 537x717) Image search: [Google]
1448585797447.jpg
87 KB, 537x717
Why are there no games with fantasy India settings? There are endless fantasy Europe, Arabia, and Japan settings, but no fantasy India ones.
>>
I bet there are.
>>
File: 1832377-448px_asurasmt.jpg (22 KB, 463x640) Image search: [Google]
1832377-448px_asurasmt.jpg
22 KB, 463x640
>>44318427
Here's your obligatory post about shitting in the street.

But there are probably fantasy india setting. I'd like to play around with one because I think it's pretty cool.
>>
>>44318427
I know a french one named Devastra.
No clue on others published in english though.
>>
>>44318427
There's one called uh...Arrows of Indra? I think it's a deeundee retroclone but don't take my word for it.
>>
File: 128449.jpg (299 KB, 530x801) Image search: [Google]
128449.jpg
299 KB, 530x801
>>44318427
>>
File: 13821.jpg (62 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
13821.jpg
62 KB, 308x475
>>44318427
Because we don't know a lot about it.

It's a subcontinent, nearly the size of America, with like, three thousand years of consecutive cultural, religious, mythological history.

And westerners don't know about it. I mean, every westerner, religious or not, christian or not, has a mild exposure to Christianity just by growing up in western society right? And everyone gets at least a passing nod at the far east. The Silk Road, Imperial China, and hey, japs are cool too, they got those katana things and were in World War II. It's a thing.

But nobody has the slightest clue about India because nobody fucking studies it. It doesn't have an entry in 6th grade world history textbooks outside of maybe something on Harrapa or Indus River Valley civilizations. Nobody gets a passing acquaintance with it just incidentally, elsewhere.

And so when it comes time to making a game setting that draws on tropes and mythology everyone loves and is familiar with... nobody loves it 'cause they don't know it, nobody is familiar with it, for the same. And do you really want a crash course on the past two to three thousand years of three million square miles, just to read a fucking RPG system?
That's why.

And it's a real shame too.
>>
>>44318427
Because any and all professional experience with Indians turns you off the culture and anything related to it forever.
>>
>>44318427
We'd need mechanics for DESIGNATED SHITTING STREETS
>>
Honestly. The ideas are cool, but the aesthetics are shit.
Dumb hats and everyone looks like a girl. Might as well just play touhou
>>
>>44319878
This.

Getting into a mythology when you have no grounding in it is difficult. Have you seen how fucking BIG the required reading is to get any clue who the key figures are and what they think of each other?

Without a cultural cheat-sheet or pop culture version, the Ramayana and Mahabharata are so fucking dense that most people could not get into them.
>>
>>44318427

Closest thing I can think of is that Kill 8 Billion Demons or whatever Apocalypse World port and possibly Legends of the Wulin as long as you focus on western portions of the setting.
>>
File: indiarrhea.png (753 KB, 1366x1372) Image search: [Google]
indiarrhea.png
753 KB, 1366x1372
Obligatory.
I don't even want to post this.
>>
>>44320098
DESIGNATED
>>
>>44321554
SHITTING
>>
>>44321575
WAGON WHEELS
>>
why would you want to roleplay people who dont even POO IN LOO?
>>
>>44318427
POO
IN
LOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
>>
File: nuke will come soon.png (129 KB, 1006x342) Image search: [Google]
nuke will come soon.png
129 KB, 1006x342
>>44320098
>>
Great thread /tg/

/int/ would be proud.
>>
>you can see the exact moment in the thread when teenagers wake up for their last day of class before Christmas break

I made a fantasy India setting in high school, but being a high-schooler who didn't know anything about the culture, I just made a blend of stuff that seemed cool.
>>
>>44318427
Somebody has to have the Death Sitar shit saved. You're our only hope.
>>
>>44321657
It wouldn't shock me if a lot of /tg/ goes to /int/.

Collecting flags isn't much different from collecting trading cards.
>>
>>44321747
>It wouldn't shock me if a lot of /tg/ goes to /int/.

The time it took for the thread to be full of POO IN LOO and DESIGNATED SHITTING STREETS would tell me otherwise. I'll also take into account the lack of spurdos and lauging lemon heads and say that /tg/ has little to no /int/ overlay.
>>
>>44321640
>MAKE THIS SONG YOUR CALLER TUNE
mysidesplsno
>>
Read "Distant Shores" for Pathfinder.

I think one of the countries in Golarion is based on India.
>>
>>44318427
Mostly because Indian mythology is bonkers.
That said, consider Exalted.
>>
>>44321771
That's because most posters have the common sense to realize one board's culture doesn't apply to every board.

I keep /int/ in /int/ and /tg/ in /tg/.
>>
>>44321771
>>44321845
fuck off curryniggers
>>
>>44321845

Maybe. I left /int/ some years ago because I realized that for me it was actually influencing my brain and making me think in certain patterns that were in the end not good.
Like this one time I was at a party and this Austrian exchange student girl ask me if I want to come with so we can sit down and talk in an empty room, just the two of us. I agree but then blow it completly by making some retarded and autistic jokes about basements. How awkward. I wanted to kill myself. I then understood that /int/ is the kind of environment that encourages dumb aspergers behaviour and was holding me back from growing away from it.
>>
>>44322164
>blaming a taiwanese pictogram borad for your autism

bravo
>>
>>44322164
Perhaps you should have browsed something other than the shit meme threads. Perhaps you should have kept that Josef Fritzl joke to yourself. Perhaps the fault is yours rather than the board.
>>
>>44322164
>It's /int/'s fault I'm a retard.
>>
>>44318427
All I know about Indian mythology is that the powerlevels are bullshit.
>>
File: godess-kali-1 (1).gif (511 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
godess-kali-1 (1).gif
511 KB, 1024x768
>>44322536
I believe the shothand is, the more arms and faces you have, the bigger ruckus you can bring.

Kali might be cheating here with he severed appendage accessorizing. But who's gonna call her on it?
>>
>>44318427
nobody likes brown people?

I'm not a racist, but it's the truth.
>>
>>44322164
No, you're just a retard
>>
>>44322568
>I'm not a racist
Damn, that's an unassailable point. Even acknowledging your post leaves me vulnerable to accusations that I'm from another website.
>>
>>44318427
There is, but most of them that I'm aware of are supposedly not very good. I've been meaning to check out Arrows of Indra.
>>
>>44323221

Yeah, what kind of beta bothers with that preface anymore? Real men acknowledge their racism, because there's nothing wrong with it.
>>
>Ranjid, you play Steve from Idaho
>ok, whats my class?
>Well... you are call center agent in the dell IT support
>>
I remember the tales of that muslim laywer who toured the known world and wrote about it during the middle age.

In India, he joined some local lord's war against the infidels and got lost. Took him days of running and hiding until he found somebody who could point him back to his benefactor's court. The benefactor was a paranoid asshole who started to randomly kill people around him shortly after that, so he hightailed out of there and got a job as a judge in SE-Asia.

Then there was that ethnographic field research from the 80s about how wrestlers and strong-men are controlling the real estate market in some provinces.

Oh, and finally the funny changes in how royalty represented their right to rule through the ages in relation to war, peace and the enviroment.
>>
>>44321692
>Christmas break hasn't started yet'
What?
>>
Dominions has, off the top of my head, Kailasa, Lanka, Bandar Log, and Patala, which are nations based on India. They're based on different aspects of Indian mythology with different beings as divine rulers, but the citizen race is the same. They have four castes, each a different species of monkey.
>>
>>44326558
Today is the last day for most schools in the US.
>>
>>44328886
>implying the US is the same from one state to another
Last day was Thursday, here.
>>
>>44318427
where is the follow up picture? where they all decide to be friends
>>
>>44328901
Well shoot, that anecdotal evidence sure proves me wrong.
>>
>>44320098
I was going to bring this up but yeah, no one wants to play a game where shitting in the street in public is the norm unless it's a creepy fetish setting.

Yeah, that's right, India is some creeps feces fetish setting.
>>
>>44321657
t. Alberto Barbosa
>>
I never got all the Indian hate on the internet.
The caste system basically still exists mostly because the lower casters are dumber and filthier then American niggers. The people from the upper castes are generally as clean as westerners.
>>
POO IN LOO
O
O

I
N

L
O
O
>>
We had an Indian family move in a few houses down a few years ago. The father kept getting arrested for trying to shit in the street. Apparently their kids (in their teens) were absolutely terrified of flush toilets and had to have someone else there watching them.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.