[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A device can convert someone's entire body into data,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: body-into-Internet.jpg (409 KB, 856x856) Image search: [Google]
body-into-Internet.jpg
409 KB, 856x856
>A device can convert someone's entire body into data, to the point where they are literally just data with a physical form.
Assuming this digital body could do everything the old one could, what would be the advantages?
>>
>>44315248
In silico cloning
>>
>>44315248
Effective teleportation?
The ability to physically modify your body as desired?
People literally stepping onto the internet?
Electric viruses becoming an even bigger problem?
Cybersex becoming literally true?
>>
File: img_3227.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
img_3227.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>44315306
Does this mean monster girls?
>>
>>44315248
you can hack into people's facebook accounts without having to wear a ski mask while doing it
>>
>>44315416
pretty much

Also we could literally live in a fantasy world.
>>
File: Swat team heavy gear.jpg (149 KB, 540x357) Image search: [Google]
Swat team heavy gear.jpg
149 KB, 540x357
Advantages? Loads. You no longer need to eat or sleep, you can no longer be physically harmed. You can however be stopped from entering things through barricades (since you can still act on the world), but bullets, weapons, or even restraints cannot harm you. Data-people or holograms instantly become a favorite among criminal organizations and syndicates, sociopaths can kill and steal to their hearts content and others literally cannot fight back in any way.

I like the idea. If their body really was made of data but somehow physical then a new way of fighting them would be needed, otherwise they couldn't be stopped. This is where Shock-Jocks come in, and their related devices.

Shock Jocks are another name for the modern police forces that use guns that fire out packets of data. Essentially similar to a really disposable USB it instantly downloads its contents into a data person. What this does is assaults the person's mind with horrific images and sounds, possibly also sensations and entire scripted sequences or false memories. Pictures of people being gored or tortured from the 21st century are commonly loaded into these weapons and used on the data people, who will only stop fighting when they lose the will to fight. Doing this enough will mentally make them hesitate or pause long enough and try to either reintroduce them into physical form or find a way to stun or 'loop' their data so they can be transported back to headquarters for processing or arrest.
>>
>>44315248
Well, if I were data, I could edit myself as wished... if I had coding skill. Which I don't.

I do have some friends who can code pretty nicely, though, so maybe they could add things. Unfortunately, this means the ability to be infected by computer viruses - I mean, do you want to be shouting botnet emails at everyone you meet? Unless I install an antivirus onto myself, but then I'd have to be careful not to block off too many of my capabilities.

There'd be more drawbacks than perks, is what I'm saying.
>>
File: holoscope.jpg (977 KB, 1200x3100) Image search: [Google]
holoscope.jpg
977 KB, 1200x3100
Reminded me of this.
>>
>>44315248
Depends on what you mean by "data with a physical form". Data is just information, it doesn't have a physical form. So whatever device this is would basically be converting a person into data then into some other form, which could later be turned back into data and back to normal.

Assuming it's a robot or artificial body of some sort, or the body is remote controlled while the real "you" is stored on a server somewhere, it would be extremely useful, though it could also be terrible for society if it became widespread. Ever seen the movie "Surrogates"?

Alternatively, your body could be data encoded into a beam of light that gets emitted from one device to another, allowing lightspeed travel between two preset nodes. Downside is that this probably couldn't be used for exploration, since you'd need two machines set up... although, if it were possible to encode one of these "devices" into data, then send it somewhere as a beam of light using another device, then after a set period of time, the device would turn itself back into its normal form... Then it could work.
>>
>>44315248
So, like reality?

>implying matter isn't just the information coding quantum foam in a certain way
>>
>>44318413
I think op means Digimon rules of data or some shit.
>>
>>44315248
>>44318694
Anon is right. If technology advances to such a level that you can effectively retain consciousness (not just cut consciousness, e.g. effectively 'kill' someone and only create an exact duplicate of consciousness) while digitizing it, you could truly live in a completely fantasy realm companioned by all 5 senses in articulate detail. It would essentially be the last step in entertainment. Imagine instead of a movie, you temporarily (but awaringly) took the traits of the main hero or heroine? Assuming procedural generation is enhanced greatly, you could 'play' a movie like say, Star Wars V, and decide instead 'hey, I want to be a Sith too' and the universe would be created around your actions.
>>
>>44316981
I'm sure there'd be plenty of comercially available data body plans that simplified it enough for most people. People hacking and modding themselves would probably be the equivalent of dudes who build their own computers, a useful skill if you want it, but not necessary anymore for most things you use a computer for.
>>
>>44315306
If that teleportation works like moving files it would be more akin to creating a clone and killing the original.
>>
>>44318924
There are more than 5 senses anon.
>>
>>44320857
The exact number of senses is irrelevant.
>>
>>44315683
The only difference that makes is I'll be sporting a boner as I kill them.

>>44315248
Depending on how you see it, we are already just data with a physical form.
>>
>>44320160
I am a drooling retard with zero coding skill. I couldn't write an html page. I've still built several computers - that shit requires the same level of intelligence and skill as building legos.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.