[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG vs. Hearthstone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 1450582428171.jpg (23 KB, 611x633) Image search: [Google]
1450582428171.jpg
23 KB, 611x633
Hey bitch boys, can you give me the rundown on why Magic is better than Hearthstone? I used to play Yugioh and Duel Masters, looking to play another card game that isn't digital shit.
>>
Because Magic isn't tied into Warcraft and it's fucking terrible lore.
>>
>>44312318
Hearthstone is literally pay to win innit?
>>
>>44312318
MTGO client is shit. Cockatrice is full of shitters. Maybe xmage is OK but I've never used it.

Hearthstone is babbies first casual.

Pick your poison.
>>
>>44312318

The main difference between Magic and Hearthstone is how they handle mana, the currency you pay to summon creatures and cast spells.

In Magic, mana is generated by lands, which are cards you draw and have to play during your turn. There are also effects which might target your lands, such as causing them to generate more mana, become creatures temporarily, or even spells that temporarily lock down your land to prevent generating mana. The downside of this approach is that you're largely dependent on luck - you might end up with a hand full of more land than you can play, or not draw ENOUGH lands and thus starve while your opponent flourishes. A key skill in deck building is therefore balancing how many lands you put in.

In Hearthstone, your mana is mostly locked to a steady progression, in which you start off with a single mana-generating crystal and then each turn another crystal is added to a peak of (IIRC) ten. Some classes and cards allow you to get a bit more mana faster in one-off effects, but for the most part mana is generated in a far more stable and predictable pattern. Though more reliable and less prone to lead to the un-fun situation of "I can't do anything because probability" it has led some to criticise it for being more simplistic and not encouraging enough strategy in deck-building.

Other than that the games are nearly identical.
>>
>>44312389

All card games are pay to win bucko
>>
>>44312318
Pay to win game that loads itself down with false depth versus pay to win game that doesn't even carry the pretense of depth.

Guess it comes down to the fanbases?

Fat, neckbearded nurgle cultists and scumbag thieves and cheats versus pretentious esport tweens and 'professional gamers'

Fuck that, maybe we should just compare developers?

A morally bankrupt company which will sacrifice anything and everything if it means improving it's bottom line versus a morally bankrupt company which will sacrifice anything and everything if it means improving it's bottom line

Oh no, I guess everything is terrible after all!

You could try Hex, but that's also shit and basically just a digital version of MtG. About the biggest selling point it has is that the devs probably aren't Hitler. Yet.
>>
>>44312459
No, the MAIN difference is that in Magic you play interactive game, where you can respond into things that opponent do. This makes game more complex and rewards timing a lot more, making the game deeper. This, however, translates fucking horribly into digital format, where you have to keep pressing skip button instead of fluid gampley hearthstone has. Mana comes second and as a resource format, Hearthstone has it better. It's just fucking horrible how many antigames Magic has due to manasystem.

Personally like Magic better, since interactive gameplay > slight improvement on resource.
>>
>>44312361
Hearthstone's lackadaisical and humorous approach to WoW lore is way better than Magic taking the Jace And Friends Show with deadly seriousness.
>>
>>44312318
Meh, the hayday is gone. I've played MTG from 2006 until a couple years ago on and off, and now it comes with so much fucking retarded baggage that it's a drag to play. Not to say that it wasn't always a bit wonky or that competitive wasn't always full of general bullshit, but now

>boring homogenized digital art direction
>yawnworthy new lore colored by the random social idiocy of year 2010+
>fucking 6th color out now apparently
>wizards are cancerous fucks, ditching pauper in MTGO, maro posting the most obnoxious justifications for his hitler tier views ever, everybody just being a faggot

Seems like since "nerd culture" got so fucking ludicrously popular and lucrative, things have just gone down the fuckhole. mtg went from that fun game where you can summon goblins to kill enemy wizards, to Chess: *Tips Fedora* edition that charges you an assload for the pleasure.

I've listed to enough podcasts about shartstone to know that it suffers from a lot of the same issues as mtg, so fuck that noise too.
>>
>>44314925

The important thing is you found a way to try and feel smugly superior to both of them.
>>
File: 1438402544128.gif (3 MB, 658x800) Image search: [Google]
1438402544128.gif
3 MB, 658x800
>>44312318
Magic requires management of your resources and the types of resources you're using, while Hearthstone simply gives you a plain old resource and letting you drop whatever you have the mana for.
Magic lets you cross multiple colors together to make interesting playstyles combining what the colors have to offer, while Hearthstone uses it's "class system" which practically narrows down what you have in your card pool to very specific options outside of random effects that give you random cards from random classes.
Magic actually has good disruption and ways to get rid of things your opponent might be holding, while Hearthstone's developers won't allow that for how "unfun" it is and then try to make gimmicky counters to insanely-powerful combo decks that ruin the entire meta only to fail and then later nerf the deck into unplayability.

In short one's designed to involve some semblance of skill even when nothing seems to be there, while the other simply lacks interactivity purely so the average stay-at-home iPad shitter can easily play it. Sure both might be made by greedy jews, but at least in Magic you don't die to an Unstable Portal giving your opponent the exact thing he needed to literally swing the game in his favor and kill you off.
>>
Hearthsone is fun if you want something to play while you're on the toilet. Pretty damn fun game for casual beer and pretzels, but not enough cards or complex enough mechanics to really go too far with making really cool decks, or playing fun formats.

MTG requires much more money and time investment to actually play it, but evades those problems, at the price of actually having to sit across from the neckbeards you play against.
>>
>>44314925
>I've played MTG from 2006 until a couple years ago on and off, and now it comes with so much fucking retarded baggage that it's a drag to play.
It had that baggage the year you started.
I still have Alpha cards lying around
>>
Hearthstone has this fucking designated blockers mechanic. It artificially lengths the time of games so much.
>>
>>44315703
Please be bait
>>
>>44312459
that, and the fact that in hearthstone you can't do anything on the other player's turn, and there is barely any turn structure rather than "beginning" "during" and "end".

this has its pros and cons, con being it makes the game less riveting i feel sometimes but the major pro being that you never argue about the fucking rules or wording on cards ever, and its next to impossible to cheat (unless you're stream sniping someone).

and hearthstone is way cheaper than magic, which is a bonus. and you also can't smell the disgusting musk of card game players when you play hearthstone.
>>
File: 1447575767708.jpg (12 KB, 200x219) Image search: [Google]
1447575767708.jpg
12 KB, 200x219
>>44314925
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/YnMWA

Yes. Such digital art only. Is your neck covered by beard?
>>
>>44314925
>boring homogenized digital art direction
Aside from a few notable pieces, the art has always been mediocre.
>yawnworthy new lore colored by the random social idiocy of year 2010+
What good lore has M:tG had? The Thran was a good book, and I enjoyed the a few of the trilogies, but overall M:tG lore has always been pulp trash.

In both of these aspects, it's still miles better than hearthstone.
>fucking 6th color out now apparently
Will probably be an abortive gimmick like snow covered lands.
>wizards are cancerous fucks, ditching pauper in MTGO, maro posting the most obnoxious justifications for his hitler tier views ever, everybody just being a faggot
They have always been faggots. It doesn't really do much to normal play.
>>
>>44314925
(you)
>>
>>44312318

Magic is far more complex and has a gigantic pool of cards. 5 colors vs 20(?) deck archetypes might make Hearthstone look like it has more options, but in fact there are quite literally thousands of viable magic decks.

I suggest you pick up a copy of Magic: Origins (it's free) and give it a try.
>>
>>44318606
>What good lore has M:tG had?

New Phyrexia? The Eldrazi? There's a bunch of neowalker soap opera shit too, very much in the spirit of the Weatherlight fluff. Don't know if that counts as "good" lore, tho.
>>
>>44320355
>Eldrazi
>good
>>
>>44320355
So what you're saying is, Neo-MtG is actually good as old MtG?
>>
>>44320389

No, I'd say it's much better. They've learned a lot from their mistakes and are very open with their fanbase.

>>44320375

I like them. Cosmic horror is a fun trope.
>>
>>44320420
So you like anything that's cosmic horror? You like Nyaruko-san?
>>
>>44320432

I don't know what that is, but sure why not.
>>
File: file.png (3 MB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3 MB, 1600x1000
>>44320438
How many elder gods are in this photo?
>>
>>44320463

I don't watch animu because I'm not a colossal faggot. But my guess would be twelve.
>>
>>44320493
You should, if you like the Eldrazi that anime would be a masterpiece by your standards•
>>
>>44312318
Things that are fucking attrocious about Hearthstone:
>predictable mana progression
Many people will claim this as a plus, but it isn't. It favors midrangey strategies and takes away and takes the joy of deckbuilding. Mana screw is an unfortunate but necessary thing to have in a card game about resource management.

>hero powers
Fuck this shit. It's a retarded concept and should never have been part of the game. They are either useless, because the designers tried to balance them against the fact that you get to use them every turn at the cost of no card, or completely broken, because the designers forgot to balance them against the fact that you get to use them every turn at the cost of no card.

>random effects
This is already a game with a huge random factor in which cards you draw, why the fuck would you put in cards that do random things, deal random amounts of damage, attacks random targets? Why? Fucking why?

>no interaction
You have your turn, your opponent has his. You never respond to each others spells, you don't even get to decide what blocks where. The attacker is constantly at the advantage because he's the one who decides what his creatures will kill and which creatures he will destroy with spells and there's nothing the opponent can do about it.

>legendaries
Fucking why?!
>>
>>44312318
>that isn't digital shit.
>Hearthstone

What?
>>
Magic
>Not extremly luck dependant (well, it obviously still has the luck factor, but unless its manascrew the decks are normally quite consistent)
>Art is way better.
Seriously, even the CGI monsters of the newest expansion look sooo much better than anything in hearthstone
>Way more interactive.
There are different phases and you can play stuff during your opponents turn, also you basicly choose which creatures of you have taunt or not, making it a lot deeper and interactive.
>You have to play in person.
IMO that is also a positive aspect, but you just cant sit down for a few games of magic after working like Hearthstone, unless you want a retarded online client
>>
>>44320543
>hero powers are useless
Which hero powers don't see use? The only one I'd consider for that is the Shaman and only because the only good Shaman deck right now wants nothing to do with it.
>>
Magic has more depth to gameplay, but it is also a clusterfuck of a game that has to be reset every god damned year because of the bloat it amasses through the course of a year. Piece of shit game on the whole given its pay to win style.

Hearthstone, as a result, is a way more balanced game. Sure, it has a pay to win format as well, but it is nowhere near as broken as MtG is.

I don't really care for either game to be honest with you. Hearthstone is too basic of a game, MtG too fiddly and random.

I enjoy LCG more. If I want dueling mages, I go with Mage Wars Academy. No random card draws, fixed mana gain, so it becomes mainly strategy, although my usual gaming buddy hates it because the dice fuck him over constantly.

Android Netrunner is pretty solid but it is also has the same problem that Call of Cthulhu has, no local players. I like Call of Cthulhu better, probably the most strategic of the games I have played.
>>
>>44321438
Warriors hero power is essentially 'pay two mana to do nothing'.
>>
>>44321735
The strongest Warrior deck in the game is completely dependent on that hero power so I don't know where you're coming from.
>>
>>44321544
>bloat
Someone has never played legacy or modern before
Mtg isnt really pay to win. Its supply and demand. You can build competitive goblins for modern cheaply, or Burn fairly cheaply (which is a top tier deck). You just cant play something like legacy Canadian Threshold and not expect to drop up to 5K on it
>>
>>44321544
>a clusterfuck of a game that has to be reset every god damned year because of the bloat it amasses through the course of a year
Non-rotating and eternal formats also exist

You can often build good shit for not a lot of money, and with the amount of cards in the game there's infinitely more space for brewing with weird interactions. That's part of why I like Magic so much: seeing how cards work together in new and unexpected ways.
>>
>>44312318
MTG:
+/-More Complex
+More Formats
+More Decktypes
+Extensive card pool spanning 20+ years
+Can be Invested in, popular cards will retain value over years
+Available in both Digital and Paper formats
+Extensive lore with a varied cast of characters
-Can be expensive to get into/be competitive in

Hearthstone
+Cheaper
-Can't get the cards that you want without investing resources
-Babby-tier easy
-Tiny card pool with an easy meta
-Can't resell or trade cards
-Can't play outside of the client
-Its lore is that its a card game in an MMO world
>>
File: heil.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
heil.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>44320463
3, 4 if you count the green haired bitch but I don't remember what she was on about.
>>
>>44312318
why not both?
>>
Ev'body got FACES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jenlSf2E8o
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.