[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Underrated RPG General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 15
File: 1450457627213.jpg (53 KB, 475x645) Image search: [Google]
1450457627213.jpg
53 KB, 475x645
Do you have a favorite game that you can never post about because it never gets love from /tg/? Post about it here! This is a thread to try and drum up excitment for your favorite underrated games.

I'll start us off with my new favorite obsession. Urban Shadows is a powersled by the apocalypse game set up in an underworld/blade/the crow/ghostrider style setting.
>>
Bumping 1/3
>>
Don't think I've ever seen Earthdawn mentioned. Which is a shame. Apparently the newest edition is still in development hell? But the editions all really closely match each other, porting between them is almost effortless.
>>
>>44310916
What's earthdawn about?
>>
>>44310916
EarthDawn only gets mentioned here in the context of an answer to "what if Shadowrun was a D&D setting".

>>44311024
It's basically a 90s version of Eberron. There are troll armies of airships and stuff. The thing with the Shadowrun/ EarthDawn world is that magic runs in off-on cycles. The SR world is the Sixth Age, the world of the 1990s was the Fifth Age, and EarthDawn takes place in the Fourth Age, the last time magic was prevalent.

OP, do you have a link to Urban Shadows?

I don't have a favorite unsung game at the moment. I've been considering bugging my sole remaining college RPG buddy to get in a Traveller game, but all the people he games with are unlikable douchebags.
>>
File: Basic_Moves_-_FINAL.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Basic_Moves_-_FINAL.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44311063
I don't have a link via my phone atm, but have some archetype playbooks and some basic moves...
>>
File: Playbooks_-_FINALv2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Playbooks_-_FINALv2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44311143
>>
>>44311174
They're releasing about six or seven more archetypes too since the kickstarter did so well. I think they're going to be the scholar, the revenant, the dragon, the vessel, the immortal, and the hallowed. I'm pretty stoked
>>
>>44311143
Thanks, found a copy on 4plebs. You had me at "ghost rider"

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1445/67/1445670817768.pdf

>section on gay stuff
Ugh. At least this will weed out the /pol/fags.
>>
>>44311174

Those Aware intimacy and corruption movies are horrifically more punishing than any other.

You can't actually have a moment of empathy without marking corruption?
>>
Runequest 6 needs more love on /tg/ as the god tier system it is.
>>
File: DRsample.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DRsample.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44309404
Dominion Rules is the best rules light simulationist RPG I've seen. By that description alone it also makes it unique. While the official PDF is 236 pages, 200 of those pages are just resources for GMs, and the game is built around you ignoring most of the rules when you feel like and having the game still function.
>>
In A Wicked Age is pretty sweet, but it's ''narrative trash'', and there's never been any point to posting about it here. I love the setup mechanics, though. You pick one of four broad themes for the session, then draw playing cards to determine what characters exist in this setting, based on a chart for the theme you picked. Then the players all decide which characters sound neat and stay them as pcs, and the rest get stated as npcs for the gm to use. It bakes a lot of proto-story into the game before you even start, which is pretty cool.
>>
>>44309404
Mini Six.

It's a rules-liter version of OpenD6, which is in turn a universal system built off the WEG Star Wars D6 framework.

It's a fucking fantastic game.
>>
I went through a long period of switching up\game systems and having favourites that I rarely got a chance to play, but having moved through a lot of game systems in the last few years I've pretty much come back around to D&D again.
>>
>>44309404
Hillfolk. Ain't nothing like it, but hardly anyone on /tg/ seems to have heard of it. By far one of the most fun games I've ever run, though.
>>
>>44312069
I ran a game of In A Wicked Age.

TWICE.
>>
>>44312616
Which themes did you use? I really like Nest of Serpents, but they're all great.
>>
>>44312573
I've never heard of it - what's it like?
>>
>>44312732
I don't remember what the first one was, but the second one was Nest of Vipers.
>>
>>44310916
>>44311063
My Gentlemen of Throalic Descent!

Earthdawn is pretty dang cool. Sadly I rarely get to play it.

>>44311024
90s Eberron is pretty good, but I like a buddy of mine's description better. "What if Fallout was a D&D setting."
>>
The Days Before We Died
It's a indie post-apocalyptic horror rpg that took my group of veteran, jaded DnD players and actually made them scared for their character's lives.
>>
>>44311549
The aware becomes the more corrupt as she's more pulled into the supernatural world, becoming more monsterous. If you play it well, the aware becomes a new archetype long before she is fully corrupted
>>
>>44312932
>dang
>>
>>44312758
It's a fairly simple game, but I always feel like I have a hard time doing it justice when I describe it. I'll give it a shot anyway, though.

Hillfolk is built around the Drama System, which is a unique set of mechanics intended to focus the game on the dramatic interactions between characters. The intent is to create a roleplaying experience similar to some of the most compelling books, movies, and television shows: a game that revolves around interpersonal conflict. It's simultaneously a system that encourages fierce competition between players, yet that enables everyone to cooperate in unfolding a surprising and interesting narrative.

I could go into detail on what the actual mechanics are like, but I think the elevator pitch will tell you whether it sounds like something you'd care about or not. I tend to recommend it to anyone who's genuinely interested in improving their roleplaying experiences, 'cause although I've only gotten the chance to run Hillfolk once, the advice in the rulebook totally changed the way I GM every other game. It's worth checking out for that reason alone.

If you are interested, I might have a PDF of the game laying around here somewhere.
>>
>>44312069

I've had nothing but fun running In a Wicked Age. It hits the Iron Age Fantasy Sweet Spot that a lot of RPGs don't have.
>>
File: Dallas RPG.jpg (150 KB, 671x909) Image search: [Google]
Dallas RPG.jpg
150 KB, 671x909
This is the pinnacle of RPGs, /tg/ is too pleb to talk about it.
>>
>>44313122
You'll understand when you're older.
>>
>>44313168
I've been interested in Hillfolk for a while, so please share if you have it.
>>
File: Engine Heart.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Engine Heart.pdf
1 B, 486x500
/tg/ doesn't talk much about this anymore, but I still love it.

Book's on my shelf, waiting to be dusted off the second I can convince my group to play.

>I'm not a robot

But that's the problem, Captcha. This time, I am.
>>
Ghostbusters.

Seriously, the Ghostbusters RPG.
>>
>>44313273
Here you go, my friend. I hope you enjoy it.
https://mega.nz/#!35Q31JQQ!FLQB01JXvAEUwiDy1iHwa7fWcQ7s1EJoOwqbZT_sKS8

I'll be uploading a few more Hillfolk resources as well, so keep an eye out and I'll post a link as soon as those are done.
>>
>>44313826
Thank you anon
>>
>>44311549

It kind of helps if you switch the Hunter and the Aware's Intimacy Moves.
>>
File: Wicked Nights.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Wicked Nights.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44312069

You might enjoy this, then.

And as a bonus, have a compilation of WoD Oracles. https://my.mixtape.moe/kwxnog.rar
>>
>>44313826
>>44313860
No problem. Here's everything else Hillfolk-related that I've got.

https://mega.nz/#F!7kZn2TCb!sT94-KhfkKGKozwtTZ8cOw
>>
File: Bliss Stage.jpg (50 KB, 400x313) Image search: [Google]
Bliss Stage.jpg
50 KB, 400x313
I wish more people liked Bliss Stage here. Everyone dismisses it instantly without even understanding how the game works. Half the time when it gets mentioned people are spreading outright misinformation about it.
>>
I fucking love Night's Black Agents.
>>
Literally never seen Dramasystem/Hillfolk mentioned outside of my own fucking post right now.
>>
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, or other Cortex Plus systems.
Very, very good for general superdickery and even some more serious systems, but super low on crunch, which is its major flaw or its biggest asset.
>>
Low fantasy usually isn't my thing. I prefer stuff like Everquest's setting, but Ironclaw 2e is REALLY fun to play.
>>
>>44314521
GUMSHOE is just a really neat system in general. Literally everything these guys do is fantastic.

>>44314547
Might want to look a little harder, friend.
>>44313168
>>
>>44314496
>Bliss Stage has sex in it. If you’re skeeved out by the idea of sex in a role-playing game, don’t play Bliss Stage.
thanks but nothanks
>>
>>44314697
Isn't it a game about little girls?
>>
>>44314496
It's probably the stigma of roleplaying teen intimacy as an adult, even mentioned in passing only.
>>
File: Takeda Shingen.jpg (1 MB, 1800x690) Image search: [Google]
Takeda Shingen.jpg
1 MB, 1800x690
Legend of the Five Rings RPG, sans 2nd edition d20/crossover with WotC fucker aside, is an amazing game.

it is, however, designed for roleplay over rollplay by a huge margin...
>>
>>44314496
I just finished a campaign of that, it worked surprisingly well. I'm no so sure it's the kind of game you can run with a pick up group.

>>44314697
Ben is just trying to be provocative. You can play the entire game without any sex. Part of the fun can be in things getting weird, though. But even then, it's only as weird as you want it to be.
>>
>>44314751
>the posse defends the pretty boy
>>
>>44314770
What did you mean by that?
>>
File: ArsMagicaRPGCover.jpg (23 KB, 200x259) Image search: [Google]
ArsMagicaRPGCover.jpg
23 KB, 200x259
>>44309404

Ars Magica. Great setting set in Medieval Europe, but with everything people believed at the time being true. Complex but simulationist magic system. Troupe style RPing where everyone has multiple characters and can take turns GMing. Have yet to see it mentioned here.
>>
>>44314697
Fair enough. The sex is mostly just the culmination of your character's strongest relationship with someone. A lot of people misunderstand the buildup and go as far as calling it an ERP simulator and completely miss the point of it. Either way it's definitely not everyone's thing.

>>44314718
Teenagers of either gender. It's basically a weirder type of AdEva game.

>>44314735
Probably. It's a lot less weird if you just make the entire cast 16-17 though.
>>
>>44314496
>>44314867
Got a link?
>>
File: BlissStageInterimStage.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
BlissStageInterimStage.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44314880
>>
>>44314804
Man, I've always wanted to try Ars Magica, but it's a tough system to sell people on. Not sure why, though; the troupe style sounds really interesting to me.
>>
>>44314903
Probably because it's a system that aspires to be the things that pisses most people off about D&D 3.5 / Pathfinder.
>>
>>44314903
One of the reasons I find that it's difficult to sell people on Ars Magica is that you need to dedicate a lot of time to learning spells. That is the simulationist aspect of the system and it makes you feel like an actual wizard making new discoveries and developing new spells as if they are an art or a secret craft.

Most players I know still have the DnD mindset of wizards of having a spell list you just acquire when you advance your character. I never liked that. It made wizards feel like glass cannons rather than masters of lost arcane arts.
>>
>>44314960
Could you be a lot more specific?
>>
>>44315357
I was making a joke about caster supremacy.
>>
>>44315338
I've often joked that players arguing over spell mechanics is actually roleplaying in Ars Magica, because that's literally what the magi characters are doing, flipping through rule books included.
>>
/tg/ hates Cyberpunk 2020 for some reason. Even though it's leagues better than Shadowrun
>>
>>44316740
To be fair, one of those has a recent videogame that's out to popularize the setting.
>>
>>44316740
Hardfire, stop shitposting like that. /tg/ doesn't hate 2020, people just won't run it because GMs rarely ever crop up wanting to run you personal system of choice.

Try forming a stable regular group and then getting one of your friends in said group to run a game of it.
>>
>>44317027
I have a group, and I'm not hardfire
>>
>>44317147
ok kid
>>
>>44309404
I'm pretty smitten with Legend at the moment. It does a lot of interesting things with the established d20 System formula, like ensuring nobody can be MAD by breaking up how ability scores are applied to attack/defense.
Plus it's free, which is a nice plus. I'd post the PDF but it's over the file size limit.
>>
>>44317222
/tg/ actually likes Legend for the most part. The problem is that it's pretty much permanently unfinished. A sold monster manual would go a long way to making it more popular.
>>
It was an RPG about vagrants living in the tunnels beneath cities. Subway and sewer passages would sometimes get magically twisted and lead people into this realm where urban legends lived and magic spells were written by graffiti artists on the walls.

I really want to say that it's called Underground or something similar, but I can't find it via Google. I don't seem to remember being impressed by the mechanics, but the setting was absolutely fantastic.
>>
>>44314521
Running a game of it right now, actually.

Why is it that everything Ken Hite touches turns to gold?
>>
>>44317027
Shit, I'm known by name on /tg/, I must be famous or something.
Also, that's not me. I prefer 2020 over Shadowrun, but I it's not objectively better by any means.
>>
>>44311360
>section for queerness
>section for complaining about white people
>X-Cards in a game about monstrosities
This better be worth it.
>>
>>44317925

What's that one about - where can I find it if it's good?
>>
>>44311793

This post got passed up but too true. RuneQuest 6 is pretty much the best low fantasy system I've found thus far, and easily customizable, making it a great choice to modify and tailor to your own personal magical realm.

I used to post about an RQ6 campaign I ran for about 6 months or so. I plan on modifying the system a bit over my South American summer (which is now) so I can start another game up next year.

Also, the combat is just 2good.
>>
>>44316740
2020 hasn't got new stuff for a lot of time, and the last few things that came out were pretty bad (yes I know that a new edition is the air, we'll see).
Meanwhile Shadowrun has kept a consistent schedule of decent books and pushed a multi-platform approach.
This is not to say that one is better that the other, but it's obvious that one will have more people playing now.
>>
>>44310916
Yeah, Earthdawn.

There was that one rpg where a space-craft crashed into a lonely planet with aztec culture, and after 2 millenia the space technology is scarce and considered magic by all. What was that? Cannot recall...
>>
>>44320533
The world was also created by a gentleman of academic endevours, so it is pretty much Tolkien But Better in quality. But my memory fails me.
>>
>>44320580
Tekumel?
>>
>>44318854
You`re a superspy who finds out that vampires are real and all that time you worked for them.
>>
>>44309404
13th Age gets mentioned here sometimes, but not often. I really like it a lot, so it's too bad that the DM dependence turns so many people off (unless it's just a bunch of samefagging).
>>
>>44313678
Yeah, this one is better than a lot of people give it credit for. Doesn't help that licensed RPGs are usually trash, I would have never given it the time of day if someone whose opinions I respect hadn't really talked it up.
>>
>>44311793
>>44320443
Thirded. I'm a big pusher of RQ6 around here for a reason. Nothing does fantasy better in my opinion, and it has the best combat of any game I have read.

It does modern combat extremely well too.
>>
>>44322360
Is that the one that's built on Cortex?
>>
>>44322430
>Is that the one that's built on Cortex?
I assume they're talking about the old West End Games edition, which is fantastic.
>>
>>44322630
What's the mechanical chassis built on? Is it based on a generic system, or is it it's own thing specific to Ghostbusters?
>>
>>44315431
Its not really caster supremacy though if everyone is a caster. Plus a mundane with a sword is, most of the time, a decent threat to a wizard
>>
File: images.jpg (30 KB, 345x426) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
30 KB, 345x426
Unhallowed Metropolis (revised edition)
>>
File: images.jpg (70 KB, 334x441) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
70 KB, 334x441
Fate of the Norns
>>
File: ghost die.jpg (35 KB, 500x440) Image search: [Google]
ghost die.jpg
35 KB, 500x440
>>44322953
It's own thing, fairly rules light. Attribute + Skill (Traits and Talents, in the game's parlance) dice pool, with a special die (the ghost die) that if it comes up a 6 something bad happens (or if a bad guy rolls it, then something good happens to them instead).

Ghostbusters was (probably I think) the first dice pool based system and was the basis for WEG's later D6 system.
>>
>>44323387
I love this rpg. I've lost my pdf though.
>>
>>44323387
What is it, urban WWI but with lots of zombies?
>>
>>44322418

PDFs?
>>
>>44317222
>>44317431
They released version 1.1 on the forums earlier this month and are still keeping up with it.
And yeah, prebuilt creatures would do wonders for its approachability.
>>
Infernum
One of these days I'm going to convince a group to play it/run it, or finish converting it to pathfinder and trick them into it.
>>
>>44326061
www.mediafire.com/?6iibc10vw4kwn7p

There are free supplements on the design mechanism website too.
>>
I love the FATE Freeport rules.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.