[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>when your session is so bad it's not evevn worth complaining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: images1.jpg (8 KB, 292x173) Image search: [Google]
images1.jpg
8 KB, 292x173
>when your session is so bad it's not evevn worth complaining about
>not even a That Guy/GM
>just so bland, boring, badly executed and poorly driven it's not enjoyful at all
>gnawing feeling of despair and pain of the loss of the time of your life you'll never get back
>>
>>44304564
Why don't you just DM then?

I feel you, I really do, but it's five times worse if you've been a ForeverDM
>>
>>44304564
I feel the same way when people shitpost. Thanks.
>>
>>44304596
but I do, anon

>>44304598
I just want to vent
>>
>>44304620
So were you the DM then? How did you fuck up?
>>
>>44304564
I am utterly convinced that every game I run is like this.
It really burns me out on GMing too cause it makes ME enjoy it less, so, in my head, I am doing something I am not enjoying, for people who don't really enjoy it either.

I also run online games and am convinced every flake (except the one guy who never showed up at all) flaked because of this.
>>
>>44304620
>I just want to vent
blogger.com
>>
>>44304658
no, I'm complaining about a game I'm playing.
My players seem to be pretty content with my games, although i consider myself slightly below average. Perhaphs they're desperate I don't know
>>
>>44304683
because I am only allowed to pust about catbois on an anonymous imageboard?
fuck off
>>
>>44304564
I'm afraid my games are like this, but I have no way to tell besides straight-up asking the group.
At this point I could probably run two games online, because the one I'm running now is dragging like a half-dead horse.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY0Qjx5K53o
>>
>>44306125
Or maybe it's because the players are lurking /tg/ instead of playing
>>
>>44304691
Most people suck and can't tell how badly others suck. You likely just have a higher standard of average than is the reality
>>
>>44304564
I feel you, OP. I'm in a game right now and it's the GM's first time gming so I don't blame him for not being great at it, but on the other hand he doesn't take criticism. I try messaging him advice and suggestions but he ignores them. The best I can do is drip feed complaints over sessions as to not overload him and have him ignore everything I say out of spite.
>>
There will be a point where you just abandon ship

Just remember that its a hobby

It is meant to be fun
>>
If you're not having fun, quit.
No game is better than bad game.
>>
>>44304564
This is every one-off I have ever ran or hosted, ever. We get 2/3 of the way done halfway through the night, then some stupid hangup makes us lose the rest of the night to trying to over come some "challenge" that was never an issue to begin with.
Probably doesn't help that aside form myself, no one in our group likes to call for knowledge/skill checks. Pic was our attempt at a Christmas adventure this Friday.
>>
>>44304717
>because I am only allowed to pust about catbois on an anonymous imageboard?
Yes.
>>
>>44307247
But what if gaming is the only thing I'm any good at? Should I just end it all?
>>
>>44309010
You should fucking apply yourself and git gud at other things.
>>
>>44309107
That would require me to be good at applying myself. Not everyone has that as a class skill.
>>
>>44309186
Now you're just making fucking excuses.
It gets easier the more you do it.
Just, find other hobbies you enjoy.
>>
>>44309268
I don't enjoy anything else. Do you really think I'd be on 4chan right now if I did?

Where did my sense of wonder go?
>>
>>44309334
[VendingMachine.png]
>>
>>44304564
Eh.
>tfw want to run but everyone I could possibly invite has been gaming for their entire lives
>tfw old as fuck but with less experience under my belt than people half my age
Just...
>>
File: lokiok.png (130 KB, 320x209) Image search: [Google]
lokiok.png
130 KB, 320x209
>DM has an EXCITING NEW IDEA FOR A SETTING
>well that's cool
>roll up some characters, sit down to play
>first session is introduction railroad
>which is alright, because it's only like a couple hours and sets shit up

>a week later, second session
>stoked to play character, have been waiting for this moment all week
>we start journeying through the wilderness, and fight some wolves
>we kill the wolves, and keep travelling
>then, we fight some harpies
>we kill the harpies, and keep travelling
>then, we fight some gorillas
>what

>look over, DM has literal random encounter roll table
>he rolled gorillas, so gorillas it is
>session ends with us murdering gorillas
>DM informs us that we're halfway to our destination, and should finish up the journey in the third session

>there is no third session
>>
It happens. I tend to improv a shit ton of what I run, but I know when I was newer to GMing that sort of thing could happen. I think knowing when it's best to just do something else that weekend from reading the mood is sort of an unsung, but valuable GM skill.
>>
>>44304564
Current DM is running a campaign like this.

It's incredibly linear, the only direction we're given is from our superior back at base, which generally goes something like
>"Go here and get information"
>Go there, ask for information
>"What kind of information?"
>We were just told "information" so we don't know
>"Well then go here"
>Go there
>Do thing
>Head back to base
Every single time.
But it's not a railroad. Not really. A railroad would be a godsend, at least it would have some semblance of a story. Right now we do when the superior says and nothing else, going from boring, bland mission to boring, bland mission with no real connection between them.
Straying from the path or doing anything the DM disapproves of is met with extreme punishment. For example, my character didn't like how he was treated by a particular company. He disabled their door. 100,000 credit fine. Decided to go up to the big ship in orbit to ask the captain if he could hurry up fixing the weaponry on it. Tossed in jail, both arms ripped off, no longer getting paid for work that I wasn't willing to do even when I was getting paid. Didn't get to see the captain.
Every enemy we face is leagues above our abilities. 25 defence score when we have a +8 to hit. DC 25 will saves when we have +5 to will. And he wonders why we get our asses handed to us. The only reason we survive half the encounters is through the grace of the DM, because he doesn't want us to die.
The worst part about all this is that he says stuff like "Yeah, you'll get that thing in 3 ingame months." Each session so far has progressed time forwards a single day. We have 1 session a week. He fully expects this campaign to continue for at least a good 2-3 years. I've even asked him about this and he's confirmed it.
I'm not having fun, I've asked 2/3 of the group and they're not having fun. The only reason we'd keep playing in the campaign is for the benefit of the DM.

>Cont.
>>
>>44312584
I'm going to go to the next session and I'm going to see if I can make it any better, see if I can convince the DM to make his campaign less shit. I know I'll fail. Then, I just wont show up to any more sessions of that campaign. Hopefully I can even convince the other players that aren't having fun to leave too, so the game falls apart and someone else can run something.
>>
>>44304564
>not worth complaining about
>complains anyway
bravo
>>
>>44304671
chill out bruh
even if you were trying you wouldn't be able to achieve that.
>>
>>44304564
>enjoyful

Stopped reading.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.