[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if Shadowrun was written by Japanese devs? Assuming everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14
File: Japan.jpg (13 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
Japan.jpg
13 KB, 284x177
What if Shadowrun was written by Japanese devs? Assuming everything else about it stays mostly the same. How would their culture influence Shadowrun's lore?
>>
>>44301831
All the characters would be schoolgirls.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (118 KB, 640x545) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
118 KB, 640x545
neva been done befoe
>>
When Shadowrun was translated for the Japanese audience, they took a few liberties with the presentation of Japan. Namely, they didn't make Japan appear nearly as racist and xenophobic as they do in the original material. Naturally, there's more of a focus on Japanese hotspots, but the main change was basically making the country more inclusive to the various races.
>>
>>44301831
To answer this question you need to figure out two things.
1. What is the broad, generic Japanese conception of the fantasy genre?
2. What is the broad, generic Japanese conception of the cyberpunk genre?
>>
You are aware a Japanese version of Shadowrun exists, yes? And that it is, in some places, significantly different from the English version which is different from the German version?
>>
>>44302401
We could have Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita mixed in with some Lodoss.
Or we could have nurutu in space with mechs.

Broad question.

>>44302227
Didn't they also have different poster guys, one of them being a goth loli?
>>
As has been said - already exists. But a notable difference in Japanese cyberpunk is the absence of the neoluddite belief that being cybernetically enhanced makes you less human. A low ess street Sam is likely not to be casting magic due to chakra/ki interference, but also isn't going to be a gibbering sociopathic lunatic. The cyberzombie as we know it wouldn't be a thing
>>
File: arclight1.jpg (136 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
arclight1.jpg
136 KB, 600x840
>>44302481
There's a set of replays for Shadowrun 4e, correct. The coaracters include a mail troll technomancer, a female elf combat mage, a female human gilette/razorgirl who dresses in "archaic" clothing, and a female orc gunslinger adept.
>>
>>44302543
To add to this, there would be much more Magitek, and free spirits would be muc h more integrated into society. You would likely have chi powered robotics and machinery. Megacorps wouldn't be so out and out evil, just hide bound and indifferent. A greater emphasis on wierd cultural subsets would exist.
>>
>>44302601
>Free spirits
Holy shit, you have no idea. After all, one of the main characters in the SNES Shadowrun game was a kitsune free spirit.
>>
File: ggundam.jpg (31 KB, 214x150) Image search: [Google]
ggundam.jpg
31 KB, 214x150
>>44302543
Not sure of that. Japanese love crazy robot guys.
>>
File: 9f11a8148450c5747e4e3194a0a36323.jpg (289 KB, 1040x1200) Image search: [Google]
9f11a8148450c5747e4e3194a0a36323.jpg
289 KB, 1040x1200
Remember that SURGE is a thing and that you can legitimately grow up and become the catgirl you always wanted to play.
>>
>>44301831
>Everyone who wasn't Nihonese would have -1 to all their attributes
>Japan would totally be inclusive, welcoming and friendly to outsiders...nudge, nudge, wink, wink
>Orc and trolls would be cute kawaii
>>
>>44302895
You wouldn't call that troll salaryman in >>44302556 adorable?
>>
>>44302895
Reminds me of that kawaii hiki Troll hacker from japanese shadowrun.
>>
>>44301831
Barring the Shadowrun, there is already a cooler version of Cyberpunk made by the Nips but remains untranslated.
>>
>>44302455
>the German version
Don't remind me. Apparently they've been getting material and rules patches that were only released in German.

>>44302076
>All the characters would be schoolgirls.
That's not quite fair. We'd have a good number of schoolboys too, and most of the gangers would still be full-grown adults. And we'd get a modified version of the Day Job quality to represent the demands of being an anime high school student.
>>
>>44301831
Grind for levels, compensate for shit AI through stat bloat and increased chance for AI to-hit, crit, etc.

10/10 would blitzball again
>>
>>44302895

2 of the 3, not bad.
>>
File: manga okay.jpg (37 KB, 552x729) Image search: [Google]
manga okay.jpg
37 KB, 552x729
>>44302701
>searching only brings up the beverage revival and some vidya by the Lords of the Fallen devs
>>
>>44304424
Do an IQDB seach. It's by Houtengeki.
>>
>>44304424
Apparently it had something to do with haley's comet. Basically something magical happened so now we have people with varying quantities of animal features, from normal people with cat-ears, to full-on furry wolfmen.
>>
>>44301831
You would be playing Tenra Bansho Zero in a custom modern setting.
>>
>>44302701
Sadly in 5e at least for now Changelings went from being "The Next Hot thing" to "The thing to blame when anything goes wrong."

It's like instead of saying "Thanks, Obama" you say "Thanks, Changelings!"

They're so rare no one knows what to do with them, and life's shit for 'em sadly.
>>
>>44301831
More catgirls, more anime themes
>>
Isn't Japan in the Shadowrun universe kind of shitty?
>>
My Nihon-Dev wishlist?

1: Armor-fabric cosplay outfits.
2: Catgirl bioware/cybernetic cosmetic mods.
>>
>>44308385
The 2nd one is already in the game, they literately show a Sader Krupp employee with them in the cyber book for 5e.
>>
>>44308385
>1: Armor-fabric cosplay outfits.
You can refluff already existing outfits.
>2: Catgirl bioware/cybernetic cosmetic mods.
already there.
>>
>>44308347
Not really; the culture has been bastardised to a 1980s stereotype but overall it's one of the better places (if you're human (and japanese)).
>>
File: 1394393152927.png (213 KB, 511x291) Image search: [Google]
1394393152927.png
213 KB, 511x291
>>44301831
>What if Shadowrun was written by Japanese devs?
12 year old nekomimi bikini-clad assassins who somehow have the bodies of 26 year old centerfold models and the physical ability to take down numerous strong men despite having pencil thin arms.

I'd play it
>>
>>44308347
They're even more hyper-racist than they are now, and they're home to more super-powerful AAA Corporations than any other nation, all of whom owe loyalty to the Emperor, making his Government one of the few remaining ones on the planet which holds any real power.

For a period of years, they interned most of their Metahumans on a goddamn island, and only recently have they been let of that chunk of rock.

It's fucking great.
>>
>>44302455

That isn't the same thing as if Shadowrun was actually written from the ground up by the Japanese. Are you actually retarded?
>>
File: e09[1].png (880 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
e09[1].png
880 KB, 720x720
>>44308896
>They're even more hyper-racist than they are now
Not "hyper-racist", pragmatic. When was the last time 130 Japanese were killed in one night?
>>
>>44308385
Those kinda exist in the setting already

I didn't play a catgirl but I did play a catboy instead
>>
>>44309008
The last time my team hit a Renraku facility? Then again I think most of the low-level staff were Koreans.
>>
File: WITIDE.jpg (77 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
WITIDE.jpg
77 KB, 250x250
>>44308730
>bastardised
>implying Grorious Nippon doesn't always happily embrace its awful memetics

In JSR, simulated sex is mandated at least once each session. Players are rewarded if it involves pederasty, gaining bonus XP if it ends in at least one person crying.

In JSR, all street sams are saiyans who don't KNOW they're saiyans.

In JSR, all the guys are generous, slightly naive optimists who laugh a lot and look like pretty girls and all of the gals are greedy, pushy pessimists who shout a lot and look like yo mamasan.

In JSR, giant robots piloted by underage children are extremely popular with adults for some reason.

In JSR, even though manga and anime were last relevant in the US when GitS and Akira made their debuts, there are still image boards dedicated to these sad, sick fetishes in the Nth century.

[kudo]
>>
People really seem to hate Japan, huh? How do you ignore that it's easily one of the top 5 most nations in terms of artistic and creative influence on the world?
>>
>>44309115

How is that even measured?
>>
>>44309182
Foreign consumption of their media, probably. In that regard, they're punching incredibly above their weight.
>>
>>44309295

The issue with that metric is it solely measures current consumption. Not it's influence on other people's creation of media.
>>
>>44309377
>Not it's influence on other people's creation of media.
We cannot objectively measure it, of course, but even there they punch above their weight. Have you seen how much American and French animation studios love copying Japan's style? And with Japan, that's the top 3 in animation. Admittedly anime was inspired by Disney in the first place, but it seems the inspired ones have become the inspirators

Their artistic and creative influence is gigantic proportional to their size and political influence.
>>
>>44309377
If you're counting influence on other nations, then the US is actually in the lead because manga was directly inspired by comic books brought over by GIs after WW2.
>>
>>44309445

Wouldn't that mean that anyone copying anime styles is inflating the 'American influence' area due to the original inspiration?
>>
>>44309295
No, I'm not talking about that at all.

>>44309182
Literally, their impact on the arts - Japan is a giant in terms of literature, cinema, sequential art and animation, physical art, even music to some extent. You only have maybe a half dozen nations in the entire rest of the world who can claim to have been so influential (like France, Germany, Italy, the US, Britain, maybe one or two others).
>>
>>44309557
If you go back far enough, you could call it inflating French influence due to the Cinématograph being a French invention, or African influence due to cave paintings.

Everything has influenced something at some point or another, which is exactly why cultures with the most exposure to other cultures end up becoming prominent world powers. It's just that, in this point in time, Japan's influence in animation and art is disproportionately large.
>>
>>44309664

And the metric for 'impact' is?
>>
>>44302991
You haven't seen the loli troll decker, have you?
>>
>>44309766
I have, and I have a couple pictures of her. She's hidden in my folders, so I can't pull her out immediately.
>>
>>44308843
>12 year old nekomimi bikini-clad assassins who somehow have the bodies of 26 year old
You got that backwards. It'd be 26 year old assassins with the bodies if 12 year old catgirls.

At least learn how to nip right
>>
>>44309092
I don't know what game you played, but last I checked, JSF was about rollarblading punks tagging walls with graffiti
>>
>>44309812
>26 years old
You know that by anime standards that's fucking ancient, right? Anime characters hit retirement age by 18.
>>
>>44309841
>JSF
JSR, rather, though JSRF was the same deal
>>
>>44309865
>Not being the veteran christmas cake MILF runner who ara-ara~s at all her younger teammates
>>
File: 2lewed.jpg (244 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
2lewed.jpg
244 KB, 1440x810
>>44308896
That sounds exactly like Strike the Blood
>>
>>44309865
Exactly, she'd be the elderly mentor character who's old and busted.

She just happens to look like a 12 year old with cat ears.
>>
>>44309865
Have you only ever watched shonen?
>>
>>44308385
>>44308713
>>44308726
>>44309019

Sorry... I'm just starting to into 5th. Been avoiding it until it felt "complete". Still doesn't seem done to me, all the added material feels too light to me.
>>
>>44309888
Of course now the Boy-Emperor now has fucking Oni as his private guard, has had loads of metahuman weirdness around him, and he's boning a Corp CEO.

That Emperor has every right to say "Swag". Because he got it.
>>
>>44310139
There's also some hints that his wife, one of Shiawase's heirs, might be a technomancer.
>>
File: 1441368671163.png (454 KB, 658x740) Image search: [Google]
1441368671163.png
454 KB, 658x740
>>44310139
>Of course now the Boy-Emperor now has fucking Oni as his private guard
Because the child emperor is an orphan, the Oni also took it upon herself to raise him. She considers making a proper man out of him part of her custodial duties.
>>
>>44310456
Wait... WHAT? HE was raised by Oni?
>>
File: 1437516356371.png (214 KB, 411x446) Image search: [Google]
1437516356371.png
214 KB, 411x446
>>44310648
I'm just magical realming here.
>>
>>44310648
Nah, he's just being an /ss/ faggot
>>
>>44302601
>>44302543
>>44302654
Don't go thinking Japan isn't just as scared of technology as the west. It's still seen as it's just they are just as likely to be fascinated as repelled by the perverse and unnatural.
>>
>>44302654
He's actually right. It's one of the real fun things about Shinto is the overwhelming beliefs about purity and body that impact day-to-day life in Japan without you even realizing it. The Japanese are more likely to actually allow themselves to die because they refuse an organ transplant because to invite the flesh of another person into you is basically worse than death. Family gets somewhat of a pass, but Japan -hates- organ transplants and much, much, much prefers prosthetic whenever possible. It honestly isn't even surprising when someone dies in Japan of something that would in the US simpyl have consisted of getting a tissue transplant.

And it goes all the way down from the big issues down to the small. The reason that Japanese fast food joints and even sit-down restaurants in the US use mass produced chopsticks that must be broken apart by the customer as opposed to circular sticks that simply come pre-seperated and pre-packaged is because it would be incredibly offensive and disgusting for a Japanese person to use a utensil that another person has used and was then washed. A pair of chopsticks that you split apart before eating ensures that only you have consumed from it, and you don't have to worry about being polluted by another person's body.
>>
File: Windows8.jpg (91 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Windows8.jpg
91 KB, 1024x768
>cyberpunk japan
>>
>>44308730
It has been switching to just "japanese" lately. Metas aren't as persecuted if they're japan-native (e.g. Oni).

Filthy gaijins can still go fuck themselves, though.
>>
>>44311038
So an "indirect kiss" is a big fucking deal in Japan?
>>
>>44311418
Why do you think weeb shit hypes it up so much? Yes, it's pretty big. It's unsurprising even for married couples to always use seperate utensils and just touching sticks with someone at a kaitenzushi place is a big fucking no-no.
>>
>>44301831

On the whole I don't think the cyberpunk side would change much. There are some goofy exceptions but a fair number of Japanese cyberpunk settings are more straight-laced than western cyberpunk RPG settings. The likes of Blame! and Psycho Pass are a far cry from "hurr teenage catgirls XD" stereotypes.

On the other hand Japanese versions of Western fantasy with elves and stuff are painfully generic, increasingly so the more recent the work.

>>44311492
> It's unsurprising even for married couples to always use seperate utensils

What kind of sappy couple share cutlery at the table?
>>
File: 0f8[1].jpg (43 KB, 487x720) Image search: [Google]
0f8[1].jpg
43 KB, 487x720
>>44311935
>What kind of sappy couple share cutlery at the table?

Oh my
>The couple only uses one plat and one set of cutlery for dinner
>They take turns feeding eachother
>They don't have separate pajamas, they share an XXXXXXL shirt
>They always bathe together
>They work at the same office so they can send sappy e-mails to eachother in between assignments
>>
>>44311935
Faggoty couples. But I mean even if it's just sampling or some shit, couples will still get a separate utensil for appetizers and shit.
>>
>>44312074
That's pretty normal in the west too
>>
>>44312061
>they ride a tandem to work
>they wear matching his-and-hers sneakers
>they always refer to themselves by a single group noun composed of their first names, like "Jeremouise".
>they share one big coaster at the gaming table
>>
>>44311038
>to use a utensil that another person has used and was then washed
Personal utensils?
Not just whatever's in the draw?
>>
>>44312243
There's a whole industry built around personalized utensils in Japan.

>>44312135
I mean, maybe if you are a germaphobe?
>>
>>44302556
The sprites that the troll technomancer uses in all the japanese art are so fucking cute I might die.
>>
>>44312546
Please post.
>>
>>44312061
This is so fucking gross.
>>
>>44312508
Unless you're explaining yourself wrong, people usually don't share forks and shit over here.
>>
>>44312688
They're on the troll's horns
>>
>>44301831
Honestly not much. SR wears is its weeboo difference so closely on the sleeve it doesn't really change much.

Only difference I think if that would probably be less painfully cunchy. The rules would be simple and straightforward for once.
>>
>>44312740
I mean, I'm not implying that you always do. But if you have something on your plate and are giving a bite of it to your wife, it is not uncommon for you to just allow your SO to simply eat it off of your fork rather than putting it on your fork, putting it on their plate, and then her picking it up with her fork.

Whereas in Japan, when you share a piece of food, you damn near quarantine that shit between separate utensils, not touching utensils, and the various other protocols. And this is a fucking culture that has an entire form of meals that is just 'Put shit in a bowl of hot water and then get some.'

Like, the more obvious and weird examples are with organ transplants, but it's just the fact that the Shinto ideals about pollution carry over to the day-to-day, and in ways that a lot of Westerners don't really do. Or, if we do so it's more just 'icky germs' rather than 'a foreign presence polluting my body's purity.'
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.