[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some other good story-driven games I can play? /v/ is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 27
File: Planescape.jpg (41 KB, 404x502) Image search: [Google]
Planescape.jpg
41 KB, 404x502
What are some other good story-driven games I can play? /v/ is dogshit and won't give proper answers.
>>
>>44300136
Is this limited to (a)rpgs? If so:
Bloodlines
Arcanum
possibly the upcoming Torment game

If not:
many p'n'c adventures, from teh modern ones I would recommend Memoria and Primordia, to a lesser degree the Blackwell series, STASIS and Technobabylon.
>>
File: tg.png (26 KB, 274x138) Image search: [Google]
tg.png
26 KB, 274x138
>>44300136
King of Dragon Pass.

What kind of answers did /v/ give?
>>
>>44300136
Grim Fandango. Not much game in it, though.
>>
Sanitarium
>>
>>44300492
Well if we're just going off the /tg/ path, I might as well recommend Earthbound/the Mother series and Undertale. The Witcher series is also good. Try out 80 Days, as well as their adaptation of the Fighting Fantasy Sorcery! Series.
>>
>>44300528
>Grim Fandango
>not /tg/-approved
>>
>>44300537
It's got literally nothing to do with /tg/, anon.
>>
File: 5564.jpg (120 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
5564.jpg
120 KB, 1024x768
The Legacy of Kain series is very much driven by the story. Soul Reaver 2 is probably the best, but it does build on the previous two games quite a lot.

>You're a righteous fiend, aren't you?
>>
>>44300136
Baldurs Gate, especially 2
NWN, and Mask of the betrayer
Dragon Age: Origins
most of the Fire Emblem series
KOTOR and KOTOR 2
VTM:Bloodlines
Undertale
>>
Wolfenstein the new order
>>
>>44300528
>Undertale

please fuck off and gas yourself
>>
>>44300761
Wh-what? Why?
>>
The Stanley Parable
>>
Lots of good recommendations in this thread.

Alpha Protocol
XIII
Of Orcs and Men/Game of Thrones
The Witcher games. The main story in 3 kinda falls off towards the end but the side quests more than make up for it.
The Telltale games are basically all story, though your mileage may vary on whether they're good or not.
I've also heard good things about Serpent in the Staglands, Expeditions Conquistador and Age of Decadence.
>>
Oh, I've heard that Yearwalk is a good one.
>>
>>44300783
I HATE popular things.
>>
And Banner Saga.
>>44300918
Uh, okay. Didn't realise Undertale was popular enough to get backlash. Yes, I get you're not the original anon.
>>
>>44300541
>It's got literally nothing to do with /tg/, anon.
B-but I like [PRODUCT] and I like /tg/, so [PRODUCT] must be /tg/-related!
>>
>>44300136

Anachronox
Avernum / Exile series
Fallout 1 and 2... (the rest are good games in their own right, but story has taken second seat in them.)
>>
>>44300948
What about New Vegas?
>>
>>44300918
>HATE
try I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, you may not hate it.
>>
>>44300541
So I suppose there are no /tg/-related movies at all, given that there's no such thing as a movie with audience participation (although I expect the French to have found a way to do that)?
>>
>>44300976
It's alright.
>>
>>44301012
I don't think you know what the word "related" means.
>>
>>44300136

A Mind Forever Voyaging.

>I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
Yes.
>>
>>44301031
Pretty sure I do.
>>
>>44300136
Xenoblade Chronicles
Sengoku Rance
Sunless Sea
Lost Odyssey

I need to play more RPG's.
>>
>>44301101
>>44300136
Oh, System Shock and System Shock 2. How could I forget. And Shadow of the Colossus.
>>
>>44300404
>possibly the upcoming Torment game
Given what they did to the Fallout series, I would bet that the new Torment is just going to be yet another elder-scrolls reskin. Don't get your hopes up.
>>44300521
>Sanitarium
Good man.
>>
>>44300136
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is another good one.
>>44301058
Anon, a film about D&D is /tg/ related. A film about a story that inspired a traditional game or is a major part of the subculture, like Conan the Barbarian, is /tg/ related. A film about romance in the modern day is not /tg/ related.
>>
>>44300549
>Tfw dark sun was canceled and we'll never get another sequel
>>
I played Darksiders for the story.
>>
>>44300136
Dragon Age Origins

Where mah Aeducans at?
>>
>>44301114
>Shadow of the Colossus.
I wouldn't call SotC story-driven, it is just linear in the progression sense of it.
>>
>>44300136
>waah, why won't they spoon-feed me
I dug for that shit on my own, you suffer too.
>>
>>44301123
What drugs are you on that you think inXile were tied in any way to fallout or Elder-scrolls?
>>
>>44301165
No you didn't. That, or making this thread classifies as digging.
>>
>>44301153
>manlets

Amell master race.
>>
>>44301177
>thinking I'm the OP
You insult me, I might be a manchild but at least I'm capable of finding things that interest me on my own unlike OP.
>>
>>44301012
> given that there's no such thing as a movie with audience participation
>>
>>44301211
Why the fuck would you think I thought you were the OP.
>>
>>44301168
They=/=A particular developer

They=The Marketing Demands of AAA gaming when justifying the cost of a highly recognizable brand.
>>
>>44300136
Lots of good suggestions
I insist on >>44300882's Alpha Protocol.
It's bugged like only Obsidian's games can be, but the story is wonderful, and it's one of the rare games where your choices actually matters.

And if you're a hardcore motherfucker, try the Last Express.

>>44301058
He's right you know, the way you put it makes little sense.
>>
>>44301230
Oh, I get you.

I disagree, though. Look at Pillars of Eternity, or Wasteland 2.
>>
EYE: Divine Cybermancy and Deus Ex.
>>
>>44300934
Undertale is being hailed as the new Homestuck in some circles.
>>
>>44301278
Is that good? I have no idea what Homestuck is, either. Given I like Undertale a lot, should I check it out?
>>
>>44301155
Yeah, but it's a great game anyway. Plus I happen to like the story, it seems like it could be used in a tabletop very easily and it uses its storytelling elements extremely well in my opinion.
>>
>>44301299
Homestuck is an incredibly long webcomic with fans known for being very pushy and obnoxious about it.
>>
>>44301320
>webcomic
What? Why is Undertale, a video game, being compared to it?
>incredibly long
Nigga this is /tg/, I read long fantasy series for breakfast.
>obnoxious fans
Oh. Well, does it impact the webcomic?
>>
>>44300136

DEUS EX

the first one

some of the best writing in gaming, among everything else.
>>
>>44301134
So if Grim Fandango has somehow inspired traditional gamers, it's /tg/ relevant?
>>
>>44301352
It's about eight thousand pages long, so your choice on that.

As for the fans, just don't tell anyone you're reading it. They're not as bad as they used to be, but for a while everyone was swarming over it and pressuring everyone into reading it. Be warned that the layout is annoying. You have an image on top and dialogue on the bottom, but some of the characters have 'quirks' in their dialogue that makes them replace various letters with other things.
>>
>>44301317
The story is good because it is minimalistic and ambiguous. It's left to the player's imagination to see what's wrong or right and what's the girls relationship with the main character.
I can see it being a good world for tabletop, but only if the players keep out the over the top ideas.
>>
>>44301391
Sure. But it hasn't. Let me put it this way: Conan was a direct inspiration to Gygax. Grim Fandango is just a good videogame.
>>44301440
>It's about eight thousand pages long, so your choice on that.
Ain't got a problem with that.
>You have an image on top and dialogue on the bottom
Huh. That sounds weird.

I guess I'll check it out and make my own conclusions. Your own thoughts on the actual comic? And what has Undertale got to do with Homestuck? Aside from the guy who made it turning out to have made some music for the comic (how does a comic even have music?) Also I think I remember hearing about this now, in connection to how Prequel started.
>>
File: image.jpg (336 KB, 1500x558) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
336 KB, 1500x558
Shadowrun Returns, all three games.
>>
>>44301480
I didn't like it.

It's largely compared to Undertale because the fans are getting obnoxious and pushy about it.
>>
File: 1449270488509.png (558 KB, 1280x806) Image search: [Google]
1449270488509.png
558 KB, 1280x806
>>44301320
It's also worth noting Fox did one of his Megalovaina mixes for HS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpF93JeQRrc
>>
>>44301514
Oh, are they? I guess that explains anon's reaction. I just got the game 'cause a friend recommended it to me (rather, uh, enthusiastically) and he basically never does that.
>>
>>44300136
Deus Ex
Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Shadowrun: Hong Kong... The old console Shadowrun games, too.
The various Black Island D&D games, like Baldur's Gate and its sequel. Or maybe Icewind Dale or NWN.
Steam has a few of the Final Fantasies available.
GoG has Ultima and Might and Magic. Some of them might interest you.
Monkey Island
The older Fallout games
Transistor
Bastion
Long Live The Queen
Chroma Squad
Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich
>>
>>44300136

AHEM.

The Shadowrun Returns/Dragon Fall/Hong Kong games are good and story driven.

The "Burial At Sea" DLC for Bioshock Infinite was quite good (Part 1 has the better story, part 2 some very nice stealth game play let down by the twist NOT being that you're playing a little sister)
>>
>>44301480
>Sure. But it hasn't
Gonna need some citation for that, because it sure as hell inspired me.
>>
Dragon age : Origin is not as bad as the next one.

Pillars of eternity is enjoyable.
>>
>>44300136
If you're okay with products of the orient and Chuunibyou I'd recommend the Steins;Gate visual novel.
>>
>>44301588
Anon. You cannot just say anything that inspired you is /tg/ related. This is because, bluntly speaking, you are one guy. There are a fucking tonne of people into /tg/ shit, and the stuff they've collectively been inspired by amounts to about the sum total of human experience. I was inspired by a documentary on the Savannah; that doesn't make it /tg/ related. Something has to have had an impact on a part of the community as a whole to be /tg/ related; that is, it must be directly linked to some part of this subculture. Even excluding the Gygax thing, Conan is linked because it's one of the best in a genre that a great deal of traditional games are based in. But Grim Fandango is not. It *is* /tv/ related, because it's heavily inspired itself by Noir, but it is not /tg/ related.
>>
Star Control 2, or the Ur-Quan Masters

Star Control 1 only has the combat and fleet mechanics
Star Control 3 has a story and could pass for a VN. It's a bit juvenile at times but not as bad as people make it seem.
>>
Legit question: is Pillars of Eternity decent? And has anyone played Soma, that new game by the Swedes who did Amnesia: Dark Descent?

>>44301299

Homestuck is near impossible to get into afaik - it's not quite a webcomic and not quite an online game thingie, and the early parts hit that "terrible early art" problem.

>>44301668

GF is on the fuck edge of being /tg/ related under the Commander Keen rule, but not quite over that edge.
>>
>>44300549
That fucking dialogue.
>>
>>44301722
PoE is great, Soma is apparently a good game in general but with bad horror crowbarred onto it.
>commander keen rule
That was way better explained than I ever put it. Damn. But I'd say while GF is "/tg/ approved" it still is not /tg/ related, because it only comes in on the "too old" front (which has nothing to do with /tg/'s interests and more to do with /v/'s inadequacies).

Yeah, that terrible art was the first thing I noticed, and it's not just in fidelity but in sheer style too. Luckily, I read Prequel, so I'm fairly familiar with the whole MSPaintAdventure format.
>>
>>44301722

Yeah it's decent

Compared to bullshit
>>
>>44301722
Pillars is alright.

The Stronghold mechanics are pretty shit and the main story gets underwhelming towards the end but the game is fun and the characters are interesting and well written.
>>
>>44301859
I certainly understand where you're coming from, so that's basically the end of this little debate, yeah?
>>
>>44301352
It gets kinda meh down the line, but the early arcs are really strong and enjoyable. Depending on who you ask, things either go down hill act 3ish, or act 5/6ish. I'm in the latter category, and despite loving it at first, I had to drop it around then.
>>
>>44302228
That's a pretty aggressive way of agreeing with someone.
>>
>>44300136
We got a new board for this, y'know:
>>>/wsr/
It'd probably be fun if you gave it a try
>>
>>44300136
Age of Decadence. Warning! The combat is unforgiving to say the least.
Shadowrun: Dragonfall.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2.
>>
File: pathologicmeme0.jpg (190 KB, 513x399) Image search: [Google]
pathologicmeme0.jpg
190 KB, 513x399
>>44300136
Pathologic is one of the best story-driven games ever made. It's insanely unfriendly and very clunky mechanics-wise, but my god is the setting, narrative and story itself absolutely unparallered in any other game.
It's a tough, exhausting and depressing game though. Needs quite a lot of dedication and patience to get through.
If you do decide to play it, you might want to check with /v/ (there are usually a few Pathologic freaks lurking around) for starting tips and hints - there used to be a pretty nifty Pathologic starting guide posted around, sadly I had not saved it.

Other games by the same studio, namely The Void and to a lesser degree Knock-Knock are also quite amazing.

Aside from that, I personally really love Bastion. It's such a brilliant, albeit small game.
>>
>>44302285
Nah, I meant "little" as it was just two people and a short derail. Sorry if it appeared aggressive.
>>
>>44302418
Oh no, I go that it wasn't meant that way, I just thought it was funny. Made me think of a cockney mobster.
>>
>>44302475
See, now I'm gonna have to steal that idea. Thanks, pal.
>>
>>44300136
Buy Underrail.

Closest thing to FO1 I've played in years.
>>
>>44301012
Scratch n sniff?
>>
File: This is going suprisingly well.gif (13 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
This is going suprisingly well.gif
13 KB, 600x450
>>44301480
If we're talking webcomics, one that came out of the Homestuck forums and is done in the same style is Prequel, which is a comic set in the Elder Scrolls universe. It is VERY good, and nowhere near as long or hard to get into.

With that said, a huge portion of the fanbase is openly furry, and the author can't into timely updates.
>>
>>44301299
Undertale has all the good elements of hokestuck. Just read problem slueth and move on.
>>
>>44302698
Fucking Leisure Suit Larry, man.
>>
>>44302703
Uh, yes. Like I said, I remember hearing about the webcomic in connection to Prequel. I agree that it is very good, and would definitely recommend it to any fans of TES (and to people who aren't; I barely touch the games). Flash never.
>>
>>44302757
Whoops, didn't see that you had already mentioned Prequel. My bad. Funnily enough, that's what got me into TES.

It is a shame that Elder Scrolls games aren't more story-driven, as they have a lot of potential in that area. I guess that's just the price you pay for having a truly open-world RPG.
>>
>>44302803
Try Redguard Bethesda's only real attempt at Adventure Games.
>>
>>44302681
Goddamn it, I can't decide on a build in this game.
>>
>>44300136
NieR is a good story-driven game. It might be hard to get into at first, but the endings are very strong.
>>
>>44301722
Pillars of Eternity's combat/party system is a little too autistic for me.
>>
>>44303204
Neither can I, I'm three days in at level 11 and I've been exploiting the export option to level up my character. Gonna need to hit 16 before I can use the steel armor, psionics are GOAT.

Thievery skills scale at a nigh absurd rate and crafting is ESSENTIAL. Shock pistol shits all over robots.
>>
File: WELCOME TO EARF.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
WELCOME TO EARF.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>
>>44301278
Bitch please, Undertale is WAY more popular than Homestuck now. It's being hailed as the new Earthbound.
>>
>>44303963
My point is proven.

Thank you.
>>
>>44303963
He meant in terms of its obnoxious fanbase, not its popularity. I misunderstood him first time too.
>>
>>44304039
>>44304014
Oh, well in that case I agree entirely.
>>
>>44301278

Literally everything is hailed as "the new homestuck" in some circles - heard them call Bernie Sanders "the new homestuck" at one point.
>>
>>44304199
Nah, that'd be Trump. Memers won't shut up about him.
>>
>>44301134
I second trails in the sky. Great plot, interesting characters, cool setting.
>>
>>44301144
Me too anon.

>>44301375
Everytime you mention deus ex someone reinstalls it. This time I'm the one.
>>
>>44301278
So because someone likes something it automatically excludes you from liking it as well?

You're a strange man.

Also, OP,

Vampire the fucking Masquerade: Bloodlines
>>
>>44300136
>Keep it /tg/
- Shadowrun Dragonfall and Shadowrun Hong Kong. I won't recommend Retruns because I found the story very weak compared to the other two, and the gameplay doesn't make up for it. Dragonfall has a superior story, but Hong Kong is better in every other aspects, while also retaining a solid scenario.
- Baldur's Gate I and II. Because they're classics for a reason.
- Divinity Original Sin. Now featuring an Enhanced edition ! Story's alright, its gameplay is its most solid feature though.
- Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. The expansions Shadow of the Underdark for 1 and Masks of the Betrayer for 2 are especially good in the story department, and involve planes and godly schemes if you liked that particular flavor of Planescape Torment.

>Some action is fine too
- Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. It's good, very good, and the gameplay can be fun as well. Don't mind the graphics.
- The Witcher Series is, by and large, the latest reference in story driven RPGs. You should at least check it out. Fair disclaimer, I would suck CD Projekt Red's dick if I could.
>>
>>44300136
Try Gods Will Be Watching
Also Underrail just came out, it seems very similar to Fallout.

Also obviously Fallout 1 and 2.
>>
>>44300136

The Spellforce series isn't terrible for the storyline, especially if you play through the series and see the development as a whole.

Not everyone's cup of tea as a game in itself, however.
>>
>>44301299
Homestuck is long and dense and there is a lot of little shit that winds up coming up later. It has become bloated and has given up any chance for a normal ending now that Hussie is just milking it for merchandise money.

>>44302735
What this guy said. Problem Sleuth is a much better read, and not stuck up it's own ass.
>>
>>44301722
>Homestuck is near impossible to get into afaik - it's not quite a webcomic and not quite an online game thingie, and the early parts hit that "terrible early art" problem.

It's only got a handful of interactive parts and I would say it's very much a WEBcomic in that it takes advantage of it's medium (like Prequel) unlike most webcomics which wouldn't change at all being put into print. As for the "terrible early art", it's the style and it doesn't really change. You just have more art styles being used as the comic goes on. It is pretty slow early on, so it's recommended that one reads until Act 3/4 to decide if they like it (that is actually only about a quarter of the comic). Generally it's recommended to read Problem Sleuth before hand to get a feel for the author's sense of humor.
>>
OK /tg/ which is better between Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin?
>>
Final Fantasy XIII-3
You level up by fininishing peoples stories for them.
>>
>>44309477
Oh please, god no.
Anything but FFXIII.
>>
>>44302385
>Pathologic
MY FUCKING BROTHER! Is good to see you again!

fucks sake i forgot what that game's name was for so long thanks guy

but yeah this game is clunky and unforgiving in the unenjoyable way. The Let's Play is a decent way to get into it without having to torture yourself on that system.

Bastion is also good. Transitor was okay but I think every line of dialogue was waaaaaay too damn rushed.
>>
Banner Saga. It's a little bit too heavy on the RNG in some sections, and you need to know it inside out to do well, but your first time through the game is going to feel like a proper adventure, even if it doesn't really have an ending, given that it's only part 1.

The sequel is coming soon though, and it looks dope.
>>
But seriously, Sanitarium
>>
>>44310432
>and you need to know it inside out to do well
Not really. The biggest mistake people make is they keep thinking it is initiative based on character not per side.
>>
>>44311105
Not the combat sections. Those are great and highly strategic. The actual road segments can fuck you silly just because they can.
>>
>>44311328
Oh. Well that's a different story. I only really have experience with the combat (which I think is neat).
>>
Final Fantasy Tactics has a pretty god tier story.
>>
>>44311933
Ramza... what did you get
>>
File: 250px-Longest[1].jpg (27 KB, 250x307) Image search: [Google]
250px-Longest[1].jpg
27 KB, 250x307
>>
>>44312197
The main character is too annoying to get into the rest of the story. If there was a mod that mutes just her dialog I'd play the game to the end.
>>
>>44300136
Age of Decadence. Came out a few months ago, but I'd put it in my top 10 RPGs of all time easily.
Fantastic C&C and writing. Combat is tricky and unforgiving, but once you get the hang of it its depth is very rewarding.
>>
>>44301722
It's decent. Disappointing in that it wasn't good enough to be remembered as a classic of the crpg genre (a lot of hype behind it), but it's a good game.
>>
>>44305235
You misunderstand. I was explaining why it has backlash
>>
>>44301859
>Soma is apparently a good game in general

Now I'm confused, I thought it was just a horror game, how can it be good in general but bad in terms of horror?
>>
>>44314779
Maybe it plays well?
>>
>>44314779
>>44314968
SOMA is a bad HORROR game...but the parts of it that aren't horror are fucking ace mostly the story and the philosophical aspects of the story.
>>
File: 1450614493420.jpg (110 KB, 744x1075) Image search: [Google]
1450614493420.jpg
110 KB, 744x1075
Mass Effect, if your love of Space Opera can allow forgiveness in certain writing areas.
>>
>>44315659
The first one is great and you can stop right there once you're finished with it.
>>
>>44302863

God Damn, I remember that game. I wish I was less retarded as a child.
>>
>>44315677

I dunno, the second one was pretty solid in a different way.
>>
>>44315813
The second one isn't a full story though. If you beat 2 you get left with wanting more since the game pretty much ends on a cliffhanger. Mass Effect 1 has an arc that finishes to the end.
>>
File: 4fdd07991861334ef700011a.jpg (10 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
4fdd07991861334ef700011a.jpg
10 KB, 200x250
Nobody mentioned Betrayal at Krondor?
>>
>>44308485
Gods Will Be Watching is a terrible game.

>>44309365
Pillars of Eternity is if you want a Baldur's Gate-y experience (they just recently patched in basic party AI, you used to have to micromanage them completely).
Divinity Original Sin if you want to be able to try random shit and go "WTF that actually worked?"

PoE is a mostly serious game, D:OS has some 'euro-humour', if that makes sense.

PoE is better at easing you into the game, DOS just kind of throws you into things after the tutorial, into a gigantic town.
>>
>>44316597
>Pillars of Eternity

>No romance

D-d-d-Droooooopped!
>>
>>44300136
You have to try out Age of Decadence.

It has the gameplay style of the old Fallout games but has the difficulty of the newer Dark Souls games. Really fuckin hard but worth it due to it's story. You have about eight different paths throughout the game that converge and differ but the paths aren't defined. It is really hard to have the same playthrough twice due to the sheer amount of choices available to you. These choices actually matter too. It isn't like a Telltale game that gives the illusion of choice. What you say to the people around you will come back to bite you in your ass and your choices will heavily influence the endings.

The amount that there are is crazy. I suppose one can afford to do that when its all text for dialogue. I would say that the graphics look like shit at time and that the game can get buggy quick once you get to the late-game areas. The combat is a utter bitch too. You have to specialize in one combat style or your not gonna get past the first location in the game. Well, unless you go a all-social route. You can just go through it for the story and breeze through combat via cheating with cheat engine though, so its not that bad.
>>
>>44316597
>euro-humour
What.
>>
File: Special Thanks.png (49 KB, 639x482) Image search: [Google]
Special Thanks.png
49 KB, 639x482
>>44300136
Embric of Wulfhammer's Castle.
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but it's free.
>>
>>44318357
Think of the kind of humour you find in parts of the Witcher games, or in Gothic.
Or just in weird European movies.

Eurovision is peak eurohumour.
>>
>>44300136
>/v/ is dogshit and won't give proper answers.
'And it is also said,' answered Frodo: 'Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.'

'Is it indeed?' laughed Gildor. 'Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill.
>>
>>44312446
I've played it with my language dub. And it was pretty Damn awesome. Great game.
>>
>>44316999
>dark souls
>hard

Why no one mentioned souls series(demons dark and bloodborne) as a recommendation. Atmosphere is great, it isn't plot driven in typical way.. But if you get into the setting you will start to care.
Especially in demons souls - last bossfight of world 5 was heart breaking
>>
>>44319561
What language and what dub? I'm kind of interested.
>>
>>44300136
Deus Ex, Deus Ex Huamn revolution
Anachronox
Aquanox (seriously...just try it.)
Independence War 2 (straight up someone's character story)
>>
>>44300549
Suppose you flip a coin..
>>
>>44300549
Soul Reaver, while Zelda-esque, was awesome. Never played the original LoK, but had the sequel on ps2, had some good fun ripping necks
>>
>>44303757
Why is that ghostbuster a cat? Why is he fighting robots in the desert?
>>
>>44323262

I believe that's a girl.
>>
>>44323262
>>44323324
You guys have never seen SWAT Kats?
>>
>>44323324
Don't be silly, girls can'y be ghost busters!
>>
File: KylieGriffin06.jpg (128 KB, 601x451) Image search: [Google]
KylieGriffin06.jpg
128 KB, 601x451
>>44323936
Provably wrong.
>>
anyone played Sword Coast Legends? Is it any good? Does it have at least Icewind Dale-level story? is fighting tactical at all or just button mashing? how well is 5e interpreted into game mechanics?
>>
>>44324325
She's an Extreme Ghostbuster.

That's why she looks that way.
>>
>>44324371
She's just a Ghostbuster

who busts extreme ghosts
>>
>>44318801
Fable as well
>>
>>44318801
See, my problem is that I am European, and I have no idea what you are talking about. I know what British humour is too (and I'm British), so it can't be that I don't understand it because I'm Yuro.
>>
>>44318826
Underrated post.
>>
>>44301182
King Thaddeus Cousland, first of his name, Lord of Ferelden would like a word with you.
>>
>>44301722
I highly enjoyed Pillars. My only gripes were that the final act felt rushed, the Stronghold was lackluster, and the final confrontation wasn't as good as it could've been.
>>
File: Of Orcs and Men.jpg (691 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
Of Orcs and Men.jpg
691 KB, 2048x1152
>>44300882
>Of Orcs and Men
Holy shit, I thought no one else played it such an underrated title, great soundtrack
>>
>>44308613
This is legit the only game that I felt "beat" me. I remember playing it to somewhere halfway as a kid, and giving up bc i had no clue what to do

I tried to beat it again but theres this one map that I spent hours trying to beat, but kept running out of resources to beat the endless waves of demons. I quit the game bc what fucking map makes me first beat it going in one direction of the "hallway" and then back the other?

I think the game is much better for its gameplay, with unlocking new units and building schematics through adventuring
>>
>>44316664
is there a crpg where the in-game romance options are not cringey as fuck though?
>>
>>44331049
No, because a Romance is an intimate relationship between two people, and you, the observer are never part of it. So no matter how well written it is, how immersive or how good you are at role-playing, you will never be the hero whose friend has fallen in love with them. You will always be the onlooker, and being the onlooker is awkward and cringey.
>>
>>44331049
Only when you aren't in on the romance.
>>
>>44331049

I wouldn't consider the BG2 romances particularly cringey.
>>
>>44300136
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Video_games
>>
>>44335143
i dunno, aerie's baby was kinda wtf
>>
>>44322594
Independence War 2 is a fucking pain to play with mouse and keyboard. You should only play it if you're one of those people that still uses a joystick.
>>
>>44331049
Planescape: Torment
>>
I've been playing Baldur's Gate for a while, and I've been wondering something.

How, exactly, am I supposed to be doing these games? Resting every two minutes and letting the healbots automatically get the whole party up every battle? Quicksaving every 2 steps? Overstock on potions to stay constantly fresh?
>>
>>44309365
>>44309365
Divinity: Original Sin for sure every fight is challenging and fun
Pillars of Eternity is cool and all but kinda bland and the AI is just bad
>>
>>44300983
Terrifying game, today more than ever
>>
>>44330359
That game was fucking beautiful. Played it after finishing Styx. Really glad I did.
>>
File: wrpg.jpg (1 MB, 1066x2948) Image search: [Google]
wrpg.jpg
1 MB, 1066x2948
>>44300136
>>
So speaking of Vidya. What is /tg/'s opinion of Bound by Flame. I really love the game, both fluff and mechanics. My only gripe with it was 1. Demon taking over if you even give him a foothold (makes sense though) and 2. How short it was. They could've made the game a lot longer and fucking amazing if you had to hunt down and destroy each Frost Lord one by one. My theory is it suffered from Darkvoid syndrome where they had it all planned and storyboarded, ran out of money, scrapped a good 2/3rds of it and hastily threw it all together at the end.
>>
>>44339841
You can rest spam. But generally it's about conserving resources. Save healing potions for oh shit moments.
Regen items are godly.
>>
>>44340023
Doesn't taking a hundred rests or so seem cheesy per each dungeon?
>>
>>44340060
Every time you rest there's a chance of random spawns. I tried doing this strategy in Icewind Dale and got fucked by 3 ice golems random spawning
>>
>>44340075
Quick save first?

I'm not saying it's the right way, but it is far in a way the most effective. I'm curious what the correct method truly is. If the idea is to spent the majority of cash on potions, then so be it.;
>>
>>44319943
Polish.

On a side note - I pity you all playing Witcher in English. Translation managed to keep the meaning... But killed the atmosphere and deviated from original Sapkowski style.
>>
>>44340226
>polish dubs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VAgaO7kOvc
>>
>>44340105

I believe the most effective way is to not be so shit that you need to rest after every fight. Seriously, what are you doing that you need to heal so often?
>>
>>44300404
>Memoria and Primordia
Spelling? Google and wikipedia give me nothing.
>>
>>44300136
Ar Tonelico (for the amazing setting at least)
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Radiant Historia
Xenogears
>>
>>44340454
Just standard wear and tear. It's basically relating to that one theory that if something is effective in a video game, gamers will keep using it above all else even if it cheapens it. Quicksaving and reloading/healing up by waiting is just the easiest way to do it.
>>
>>44301480
Undertale is compared to Homestuck because the creator of the former is friends with the creator of the latter. They have similar creative direction and humor. If you like what one of them does, you will probably like the other too. The fans do indeed have a well-earned stereotype of being a crazy tumblr clan, but there are always exceptions, and their population is enormous. The fans of Homestuck became fans of Undertale almost immediately because Toby Fox has made and contributed to quite a few signature music tracks for the much-beloved comic (feel free to check out homestuck's bandcamp page) and Homestuck's author advertised Undertale to the readers.
>>
>>44300136
Books
>>
>>44300594
>Dragon Age: Origins
>story-driven
More like the story drives it into the ground. Muh ORC... uh I mean Darkspawn invasion. DRAGON EVIL.

About the only thing that 'story' did right was treat elves like the shitheels they are.
>>
>>44301153
>>44301182
Shem scum get fucked
>>
File: 1450731029589.jpg (73 KB, 1033x679) Image search: [Google]
1450731029589.jpg
73 KB, 1033x679
>>44300934
>Banner Saga
>>
>>44340254

>Czytał Tomasz Knapik
>>
>>44342925
Cant wait til the next installment, pretty unique game, i liked the multiple perspectives, and i like "save your people" type stories to begin with
>>
>>44300136
Kotor II was written by the same guy that did Torment
>>
Ok I like action games but also a lovely story so here's my 2 cents

Metro 2033 & Last light are golden, the redux versions look great
Obviously HL2 and it's aspects.
Deux Ex: HR
Fallout New Vegas, avoid all others apart from the old ones, which I've not played but heard are good.

Now, some less action packed titles.
Endless Space
Divinity Original Sin

I know of others but these are games I've played and completed, so I feel I can honestly recommend them.
>>
>>44323262
That's Felina Feral of the Megakat City Enforcers walking through a desert created by aliens who stole water and shooting down an alien fighter plane.
>>
>>44340560
http://store.steampowered.com/app/243200/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227000/
They should both be on Steam, Anon.
>>
>>44340254
Holy shit, I had that version. I bought it from some dudes in a local carboot sale a while ago. You could smell the vodka coming from the speakers.

On the OP's subject, Freespace 2.
>>
LISA is pretty good and only like $4 right now.
>>
>>44339869
The AI in PoE has gotten a lot better since release
>>
Age of Decadence is pretty great. It doesn't have an incredibly strong plot but it's an amazing roleplaying experience, not since Fallout 2 have there been so many different ways to tackle situations.
>>
>>44301561
Burial at Sea is overpriced junk for how little content you get, and the shitty ending.

I remember after the end, I eagerly awaited for the story to continue. Then the credits rolled and I realized.

I was even angrier when I realized the story wouldn't be finished. Fuck that guy and his hypersensitivity to pornography.
>>
>>44318691

Oh god, this.

I remember EoWC carrying me through a horrible breakup. Ever since then this little game has a place in my heart.

>>44313443

I have... issues with AoD. This game does one thing extremely well - makes you feel that your choices matter. You can blow up a city in search for power; it doesn't get much better than this in this regard. It's also well worth replaying more than once the third or fourth time with cheats so that you could have fun for once.
But then, the world feels small and there is little to do that's not main quests (although I admit I've missed some content due to, well, never finding it). You have to specialize - combat is either nigh-impossible if you're playing a smart/pretty guy or too easy if you focus on it entirely and notice what's good in the game and what's not. Similarly, it's a poor idea to put more than absolute minimum of points into social skills if you want to play as a fighter, but if you are a diplomat/ lore master you will be able to breeze through game talking all the time. There is not all that much content, and what's there is separated between various storylines so you realy should play through the game numerous times. Also, there were little to none memorable characters - all that I can recall are your asshole loremaster mentor, head of Cassius house and the master impersonator.

This was a good game, I simply had much less fun with it than I thought I'd have.
>>
>>44313443
the game still feel abit short and unfinished
>>
>>44300136
aside form torment every rpg has terrible stories
>>
>>44350852
>aside form torment
You would know quality writing, now wouldn't you.
>>
>>44351279
in french sure
>>
File: morrowind.jpg (613 KB, 1245x1467) Image search: [Google]
morrowind.jpg
613 KB, 1245x1467
>ctrl+f
>no Morrowind

Are you guys serious?
>>
>>44335595
I want to add FTL to this list but I'm not sure whether it should be filed under sandbox or rpg.
>>
>>44340011
Pretty good list until I saw Pool of Radiance in shit tier you cockmongling swine of a man.
>>
>>44353824
>Implying Daggerfall isn't a better game
>>
>>44316063
ME2 also has Garrus, so there's that.
>>
File: InteractiveCinema.png (405 KB, 499x750) Image search: [Google]
InteractiveCinema.png
405 KB, 499x750
>>44301012
>there's no such thing as a movie with audience participation
For good reason.
>>
>>44302385
Hi, Jim-Jam.
>>
>>44346705
>Fuck that guy and his hypersensitivity to pornography.
Context?
>>
>>44340011
Why are titan quest, Diablo, and Torchlight on this list? I don't know if they really fit the theme, since they're specifically story-light.

I'd also add Shadowrun Hong Kong and Shadowrun Dragonfall to mid-tier.
>>
>>44353824
hmm
>>44340011
>>
>>44340254
Most of them are godawful.
Movies are worst because it is the same fucking group of VA. Always. The fucking same people with their one kind of voice. All characters, esp kids, sound the fucking same.

But some works are great. Baldur's gate, the longest journey, Witcher obviously.
>>
File: dark souls.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
dark souls.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>44300783
/v/'s just leaking. Don't take it personally.
>>
>>44354350
Pool of Radiance is right there in God Tier, you stupid fuck. The one in shit tier is Ruins of Myth Drannor.
>>
>>44300136
Ugh. I've attempted to start and play Torment three times now.

It's not the narrative! I love story driven stuff, I love point and clicky type stuff, and I love exploration.
Is the fucking oldness of the game. It's awkward to move around, and sometimes awkward to understand what you are looking at.
>>
File: Dark Souls minus DLC.gif (2 MB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls minus DLC.gif
2 MB, 500x335
>>44357610
>>
How are the Gothic games.
>>
>>44300136
Alpha Protocol is unique and amazing. I wish it wasn't, we won't get anything close to its level in a long, long while.
>>
>>44354350
there is two Pool of Radiance games.
the one you think of is in God tier
>>
File: Journal.jpg (52 KB, 448x419) Image search: [Google]
Journal.jpg
52 KB, 448x419
>>44301230
>The Marketing Demands of AAA gaming when justifying the cost of a highly recognizable brand.

We are talking about the same Torment right
>>
>>44357873
Amazing characters and world reaction and interactions with the MC. Great handmade world with lots of shit to explore. Combat is the thing everyone bitches about when they try it, it's kind of clunky but if you git gud enough at it you can take out end game enemies at level 1. Story's okay, nothing to write home about but the setting in the first one is really nice (prison colony).

Playing through 1-3 in order is a pretty great adventure, I'd definitely recommend it.
>>
>>44356256
Ken Levine complained that people were making porn of his "daughter" because he's the sort of friendless loser that puts /v/ to shame.
>>
Aquaria
It's heavier on the atmosphere than the story but the story that's there is all about lost civilizations, ancient gods, and other spooky mystery shit.
>>
>>44361639
>his "daughter"

Did he mean Elizabeth? There is a hilarious amount of porn of her lol. Like I've never even played Bioshock but I still basically know all about the character just from the tetrabytes of r34 of her.
>>
>>44342786
Call it what you want its still pretty good as babbys first rpg and fun as shit if not
>>
>>44346705
Doesn't Burial at Sea's story finish in Bioshock 1?
>>
>>44300136

nobody's mentioned Way of the Samurai yet so i'll go for it.

If you like dumb embarrassing fucked up shit where you die from being kicked to death by grandmas after making an oath with your blood brother to kill all westerners, for example, then WotS is very good and COMPLETELY based on player agency. every event leads to the map or situation in town changing one way or another! even on your next playthrough.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (177 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
177 KB, 1280x720
>>44339990
>>44330359
>>44300882

I too love Of Orcs and Men

So much so that I bought pic related yesterday and played it for most of today.

I really like Spiders' game concepts and non-standard settings, now if only they were able to get better that "game design". Here's hoping Styx 2 is the magic moment
>>
>>44364363
Yeah if they had triple A budgets I imagine they'd make some pretty amazing games.
>>
File: krok_toke_orm.jpg (179 KB, 621x1065) Image search: [Google]
krok_toke_orm.jpg
179 KB, 621x1065
>>44364363
not that i trust steam reviews without a grain of salt but its got shit rating, still worth it?
>>
/tg/, my girlfriend's really bad at video games om general, but loves narrative heavy RPGs. Her PC isn't too strong tho. Am getting her Monkey Island games. Any other suggestions? She loves detective shit, but also fantasy stuff like Suikoden.
>>
>>44363098
Other anon but WotS is one of the few games where you are not a hero chosen to solve everybodies problems. You are just a random mercenary just passing by and if you want you can decide to just spend all that time in the bar getting drunk or just kill off final boss in first few minutes and then watch the carefully build plot fall down to pieces as everybody tries to adjust to it.
It is one of the few games that are short enough that you can see basic story within 2 hours but it takes about 20-30 hours to see all the minor details that bring it about and how intricately woven they are.
>>
Alpha Protocol is a broken game with some of the most intriguing stories ever told in a game. I was sceptical whether a modern era spy setting for a RPG could work as an RPG once but now, it's something i wish more people should do without gratuitous amouts of science fiction a la MGS or DX. Making a unarmed/pistol run is the best/most broken thing ever. fuck Marburg

>>44353824
while the lore on TES is at its peak by Morrowind, the game itself is still quite lacking aside from that conversation with Dagoth Ur and Divayth Fyr. Same shit every TES game, story-wise.
>>
>>44368389
broken sword games are bretty gud if she's really into clicker adventures. Chrono Trigger may border along cliches but the magic behind it is that it manages to make them very enjoyable. Dragon Quest games are very good at telling the old Sword and Sorcery stories and give new twists in them
>>
File: a20151227.jpg (185 KB, 679x1024) Image search: [Google]
a20151227.jpg
185 KB, 679x1024
Uncharted
New Tomb Raider
>>
>>44367116
Its a Spiders game

Meaning its pretty unpolished, and only slightly less buggy than a Bethesda or Obsidian project, the grafics aren't all that shiny, and the ARPG combat seems slow and unfocused compared to your Witchers and Dark Souls.

But this is a "story driven games" thread and like everything else Spiders made its pretty inventive. Dark Fantasy world, Faustian bargins, Elves getting their shit kicked in etc. Its only ~17 or so hours if you do EVERYTHING but that's because they obviously ran out of budget (again, Spiders)

I would preface a $30 asking price with "How much do you REALLY like non standard fantasy settings and mercs telling peasants to go fuck off? " But Holiday sale has it for 5.99 ameribuxs and would say yeah its worth that. I mean, you do get a dapper Litch as a companion for that price
>>
>>44369686
Alpha protocol is another obsidian "this could be so much better if it was finished" game. I still like it a lot, though the level scaling is obnoxious.
>>
Ok guys, I REALLY need some suggestions. What I am looking for is a pretty particular theme that is hard to find outside a few games I've played.

What I am looking for is the following:
>Ordinary man in an extraordinary situation
>Endearing cast
>Urban
>Relaxed Feel
>Modern Era

Two good examples are Persona 3 and Catherine. Please, I am really having trouble finding games that at least kinda fit the same feel. Maybe the list above isn't really what I am looking for, but games with the same feel as those ATLUS games.
>>
>>44371913
Devil summoner? Sleeping dogs?
>>
>>44354885
He was in 1 as well.
>>
>>44371913
Persona 4
>>
>>44371903
The only really bad thing about the game is that the maps are so linear which in turn means that stealth means literal invisibility rather than just making you harder to hear or spot from a distance.
>>
>>44375472
Already played it.

>>44371991
Unfortunately played both of these already.
>>
>>44372634

Can't take him as your one true husbando in 1 though.
>>
Imperium Galactica - it's like Masters of Orion with a solid storyline.
Good luck getting it working on anything past Win 98.
>>
>>44376657
Dosbox? Also, there's a sequel. Is it good too?
>>
>>44376690
>Dosbox?
Trust me, I've tried.
>Also, there's a sequel. Is it good too?
No.
Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.