[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my players again managed to wonder off into some region, I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 10
File: Class_GithzeraiMonk.jpg (109 KB, 540x480) Image search: [Google]
Class_GithzeraiMonk.jpg
109 KB, 540x480
So my players again managed to wonder off into some region, I was supposed to flesh out waaay later in the campaign and I'd appreciate help sculpting it.

Basically we have a D&D like empire, led by immensely powerful ecclesiarchy and archmages' guild, stretching over two dozen conquered worlds. Enslaved armies, dominated armies, undead armies, arcane armies, flesh- and mind- sculpting, mega-cities in layers, dragon rulers and empire-loyal beholder leaders of entire fiefs - its' all there.

Now, we also have The Rebels which PCs want to contact and will spend some time with. The Rebels are initially archmages. They are high masters of magic, completely on-par with imperial casters and more. Now, the edge The Rebels have on the empire is knowledge of magical currents. Every imperial world is covered in magical Veil and this Veil has currents that can be used and abused to gained advantage/harm others/hide. It is this way The Rebels have survived all this time and from these nexuses of power, wast spy/intelligence/smuggling networks of more mundane Rebel members are knit. Mostly, these people have no clue they work for The Rebels.

Now the thing is, PCs will next session be stuck with the archmage rebels and I need to flesh out Rebels' every day life. If this was French resistance, it'd be cleaning/transporting weapons and explosives, getting info on the enemy movement/planning actions ...

How should I shape my Rebels' every day activities in the Veil (or out of it? I dunno.) but not go full "slumping over maps and discussing plans" retarded?

Pic sort of related. I like the hunted look on her face and inhumane traits. Something along "The Veil has changed me"

thanks
>>
File: 20838_1207305341_submedium.jpg (180 KB, 600x861) Image search: [Google]
20838_1207305341_submedium.jpg
180 KB, 600x861
bump
>>
>>44298245
Could just have them slowly creep up to a massive pit with stairs that lead into darkness..
>>
>>
File: stf67_emeria.jpg (55 KB, 600x439) Image search: [Google]
stf67_emeria.jpg
55 KB, 600x439
>>
>>44298245
Seems like lots of business-as-usual no-rebels-here stuff during the day, then just whack the cliche stuff in the night in basements and dingy bars and stuff. Swap out maps for scrying pools and explosives for enchanted items.

Don't be afraid of using tropes, just don't over use them.
>>
>>44298903
OP here.

Will monitor the thread for a few more hours. Nice input and a definite possibility.
>>
>>
>>
File: 69O57.jpg (69 KB, 850x312) Image search: [Google]
69O57.jpg
69 KB, 850x312
>>
File: e3conceptart_disapproach.jpg (265 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
e3conceptart_disapproach.jpg
265 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>
You can go the yoda route. Small goblin or gnome that no one give a second glance at is actually all powerful mage. If he has a seemingly normal job then all the better. Also, remember to compartmentalize. Most rebels work in cells of only a handful to keep from being discovered.
>>
File: PZO1132-OccultGame.jpg (309 KB, 1200x700) Image search: [Google]
PZO1132-OccultGame.jpg
309 KB, 1200x700
>>
>>44298245
These people are archmages. If they've got extra manpower in their lair, it's in the form of Simulacrums and Golems, which all need upkeep. If they're smart — and they are; they'll hire outside mercenaries or outright start their own cults in order to do their groundwork. These people would need supplies regardless. Not to mention most wizards spend their time scrying. There's plenty to keep them busy through the day.

Additionally, each D&D wizard always wants their own space, their own territory. This is usually covered in the accoutrements of arcana, but most importantly these signs and symbols will usually be unintelligible madness that only the wizard themselves can interpret. They're a secretive sort of people.

Also there will doubtlessly be hierarchies and infighting. Cabals can hardly exist without it.

Now on to advice: consider a wizard's mindset. They itemize their problems and build their plans around building solutions one at a time, anything that can provide synergy is a plus but not a necessity. Rarely do wizards plan with redundancies—this is vanity. You'll have to act like this too, in a way. Think of the lowest pieces the wizards will be able to employ in their operation. Do they have people to sway the public opinion? How do they pay these people/supply them. What about agents working to supply the disenfranchised, either to act as a distraction or combat the enemy. How do they arm these people? How do they receive their orders?

Work up from the furthest reaches these rebels can have, the furthest that their influence can reach, then work inside from there. The wizards will occupy their daily time with the chores and minutiae that they cannot delegate off. So it could be as grand as developing an engine of war that breeds flaming locusts and employs them via teleportation circles anywhere in the world. Or it could be retrofitting a cellar to age gourmet cheeses.

Wizards are strange folk.
>>
>>44305118
Also to provide credibility on my previous post, my source is that I am a complete and total autist.

And a weenie, while we're at it.
>>
>>44305118
>>44305151
OP here.

Holy batman! I almost gave up on this. Thanks!
>>
>>44305204
No need to thank me citizen, I'm only doing my job.

Sperglord Awaaaaaaay!

Glad I could help.
>>
>>44305118
I think you could expand on this.
Their base is a city like Commorragh. It's an entire city or planet locked in perpetual infighting amongst cabals and sects. Except it's intentional. Wizards being the crazy nutters they are set up a base where everyone is fighting everyone so no one really knows what side they are on or who exactly they are fighting. It's a city not even hidden from imperial view, but so utterly mad that no one could figure out what's going on their.
>>
>>44305302
there*
>>
>>44305315
I thought you were correcting the first >Their which was used correctly for a minute.
>>
>>44305204
Actually, you should probably read some batman and read up on xanatos gambits. This may help you determine some of the Rebels' crazy plans.
>>
OP here.

You guys do understand that my question is about Rebels? Powerful caster rebels, but rebels never the less?
>>
>>44306142
Sperglord here,

Yes. But it's possible that the rebels could have crazy plans. I'm not a fan of the ideas presented in >>44305302, however.
>>
>>44306190
No? But i thought it would make sense. The wizards/mages/whatevers are the shadow puppeteers of the criminal underground, not the king pins but the backers and suppliers. Slowly cycling in powerful disruptive magic artifacts and what not through the black market. Sort of like how the cia funds drug cartel coups.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.