[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You are charged with restoring D&D to its former glory. The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
You are charged with restoring D&D to its former glory. The company intends to do this buy reprinting millions of books, and supporting it with a strong advertising campaign. However, you must pick only ONE edition of D&D (Pathfinder does not count as that belongs to the competitor). That edition will be the only edition (along with ALL the expansion material) that gets reprinted, sold, and advertised. All other editions of D&D will be declared obsolete, and if anyone ever tries to publish material in the "outlawed" editions they will have the shit sued out of them.

So it's your call: Which edition of D&D floods the market?
>>
File: Plebs can't ignore bait.png (42 KB, 249x284) Image search: [Google]
Plebs can't ignore bait.png
42 KB, 249x284
Edition War arguments incoming.
>>
>>44297096
6E
>>
>>44297096
6E
>>
LotFP
>>
This is one of the most stupid threads I've ever seen.
>>
>>44297096
5th. It's already doing that. The free basic rules and streamlined rules are already helping it draw in new players. Just market it better and put more money into it.
>>
File: double down anime.jpg (411 KB, 1680x1465) Image search: [Google]
double down anime.jpg
411 KB, 1680x1465
I double-down on 5e.

Support it with robust, easily-accessed online material (including PDF sales and a full SRD a la Pathfinder).

Improve Unearthed Arcana with a dedicated team to get high-quality playtest material out there, with efforts focused on the most-wanted material.

Increase the release schedule slightly to one 100- to 250-page book every three months like clockwork. An adventure here, a setting book there, additional MMs and DMGs (focusing on variant rules for different tones and settings).
>>
>>44297096
or, just dont.
>>
>>44297096
i want to say 3e because its my favorite but im not sure if that would be a good business decision.
>>
>>44297217
>>44297243
And flex the power of Hasbro's 22 minute animated commercial division and put out a new D&D Cartoon.
>>
D&D will never be restored to its former glory.
>>
>>44298991
or hell even there 5 minutes animated commercial division
>>
Fuck D&D editions, revive the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon
>>
>>44298991
>>44297243
>>44299474

These. Have it take place in Dark Sun to satisfy the lusts for 'gritty' shows and pull in nostalogiafags and bring out a Dark Sun line in the wake of it.

Strike a deal with Netflix and Nickelodeon to have it air online and on cable and promote it on Geek & Sundry for a couple months after each episode. This will later segue into a sponsored Tabletop Dark Sun campaign.

Additionally, re-release Planescape: Torment for the xth time.

Do this and >>44297243 with easy to navigate SRDs, ideally split from the main Wizards domain but sharing links.
>>
>>44299569
Everything that this post links is good. I'm apprehensive about the D&D cartoon returning because I'm apprehensive about nostalgia marketing in general, but if it works then it works.
>>
File: CTFFang.png (276 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
CTFFang.png
276 KB, 1280x720
>>44300107
>Everything that this post links is good. I'm apprehensive about the D&D cartoon returning because I'm apprehensive about nostalgia marketing in general, but if it works then it works.
Well. If it were up to me I'd use a similar format but different characters with the general age spread roughly the same. The MC would be female, though outright romance would be verboten or at least SEVERELY understated. While this locks out a certain demographic it also opens up others.

Additionally I'd probably hire people such as John Wick and Greg Stolze to consult for it and use a hybrid style similar to the one used in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Concurrently there'd be an on-going fanart contest with prices ranging from free limited-run D&D box sets to being hired as illustrator for upcoming expansion books as well as opportunities for works to be showcased after the credits.

This allows us to tap into the art communities on Tumblr and dA creating an atmosphere where participation is highly encouraged. This floods the net with a slew of fanart and lowers the barrier of entry.

Speaking of after credits, there'd be a "Fact of the Week" section detailing a monster or area that appeared that episode.

....fuck, I've become Full Shill.
>>
4e. It's the only time D&D has actually had good mechanics.
>>
File: John Wick.jpg (535 KB, 1920x1480) Image search: [Google]
John Wick.jpg
535 KB, 1920x1480
>>44300220
>Additionally I'd probably hire people such as John Wick

JESUS I'VE HEARD OF ELIMINATING THE COMPETITION BUT ISN'T THAT TAKING THINGS TOO FAR???
>>
I so fucking want the D&D cartoon to come back

...Can /tg/ write a D&D cartoon?
>>
File: christina_1_by_kir_tat-d7m2jmx.jpg (310 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
christina_1_by_kir_tat-d7m2jmx.jpg
310 KB, 750x1000
>>44300266
>JESUS I'VE HEARD OF ELIMINATING THE COMPETITION BUT ISN'T THAT TAKING THINGS TOO FAR???
All things are fair in business and love.
>>
>>44300220
>wanting Wick anywhere near your game

seriously?

Other than that, though, sounds p.cool.
>>
>>44300336
>Other than that, though, sounds p.cool.
Why, thank you.
>seriously?
Yes, seriously. It's also not a game proper, it's a cartoon with a slightly dated D&D expansion tie-in I'd like him to streamline a bit. Maybe see if Justin Achili wants in on it too for a bit more of that grimdark. Actually, switch out Wick for Achili and see if he and Stolze get along.
>>
So, if you had to do a D&D cartoon, would you go for the "trapped in a game's world" plot?

I get the impression that this kind of stories is not well considered, nowadays
>>
>>44300580
SAO and a few other sour entries killed the mini-genre. It's been done enough that people would probably consider a new one a "rehash of X".
>>
>>44300940
Eh, it's still alive and well in webfiction. Then again, that medium always lags behind general trends.
>>44300580
>So, if you had to do a D&D cartoon, would you go for the "trapped in a game's world" plot?
Not necessarily. I'd use an omniscient Game Master as opening and closing narrator and perhaps use character sheets in openings or eye catches though.
>>
>>44300580
I think it'd just plain be more interesting to have Normal Life Shit for the players and occasionally see them take it out on the game
>>
>>44301085

I would go full "this is the story of another world", without anything relating to RL.

But then again, I suppose it depends how much one wants to make it a cartoon about D&D as a game or as a setting
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.