[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Wings Stacked on Wings Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 1439628675444.png (609 KB, 744x850) Image search: [Google]
1439628675444.png
609 KB, 744x850
>All official WotC content
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

A 14th-level dragon sorcerer aarakocra can sprout dragon wings on top of having a set of normal wings. Discuss.
>>
I'm pretty sure the movement would be the same but hey, two sets of wings can look pretty intimidating.
>>
File: 1429151069558.jpg (54 KB, 568x720) Image search: [Google]
1429151069558.jpg
54 KB, 568x720
Should I bother trying to make a paladin to an evil god?
Gods of all shades have clerics, sure. But what about paladins? The oath tenets in the PHB are almost universally good, or at least neutral. Devotion and Ancients would need to be totally replaced, although Vengeance would just need to take things less literally, such as considering what obstacle to your cause is the greater "evil", even if it's torn between stealing the kitten ebola cure or kicking the winner of the Orphan Cup. As far as SCAG material, a few of the optional tenets could work, and the Crown tenets are all neutral anyways.
What would be the best way to play a paladin of an evil god? Trying to burn everything and cause despair isn't suitable, and isn't good for most gods in the long term. Should they be "good" and try to seduce others to their cause, Chancellor Palpatine style? This might fit someone pledged to, say, Asmodeus, and you could have out metaphorical pamphlets about how he lent you such great power and anyone can hop on the nine-hells express to have a guaranteed seat in the afterlife.

What about more mercurial evil gods, like Umberlee? Might a paladin be less of an auxiliary cleric and more of a walking force of judgement, taking as they will for their god's machinations as much as their own, as the god has blessed them because they predicted their usefulness?
>>
>>44296881
Nobody is evil just for the sake of being evil. The concept of knowingly serving an "evil" god is flawed to begin with.
>>
>>44296881
Oathbreaker exists for a reason.
>>
>>44296543
>A 14th-level dragon sorcerer aarakocra can sprout dragon wings on top of having a set of normal wings

So can an aarakocra favored soul sorcerer.

Be a favored soul of storms for maximum wing.
>>
Isn't that pathfinder art?
>>
>>44296881
The Oath part of the oaths is the part in bold. The following sentence is an interpretation. The Oath of Ancients just refers to the Light, without specifying what it is. It could be the light of fire, or the starlight of Far Realm beings like Caiphon.
>>
>>44296543
Interesting visual, impractical and pointless otherwise. Tbh I would say their original wings become permanently draconic. That makes more sense to me.
>>
>>44297807
Better choice would be winged Tiefling dragon sorceror.

Devil dragon. Two sets of leathery wings.
>>
Speaking of Paladins with weird alignments can anyone think of a justification for a good-aligned Oathbreaker paladin?
>>
>>44298025

you're playing a JRPG
>>
>>44298025
Your name is Cecil and your best friend is a Dragoon fighter.
>>
>>44298082
Oath of the Crown -> Oathbreaker -> attonement -> Oath of Devotion
>>
>>44298082
Don't forget that your first mission is to go deliver a message to a small village located in the mountains with said Dragoon fighter.

Other party members you meet with or join up with include:

> Variant Human Sorcerer
> Open Hand Monk
> a spoony Lore Bard
> old-ass Evocation Wizard that forgets half his spells before locating his original spellbook
> Life Cleric
> Twins, one that's a Abjuration Wizard, the other a Tempest Cleric
> Dwarf Fighter/Artificer homebrew
> TWF Assassin Rogue
> High-Elf Abjuration Wizard
> your brother and antagonist for 80% of the campaign Half-Elf GOO Warlock
>>
>>44298025
You were a Paladin to an evil god?
So you're breaking your oath
From evil
And then your good
So you are a good oathbreaker
>>
By any chance is there a link or torrent of some kind that has all the 5th edition novels out there? I've tried looking on google and various other sites to little success.

I know that most of /tg/ doesn't have a high opinion of the books (mainly cause they're all set in FR or have Drizz't as the MC) but it'll give me something to read on the plane ride home for the holidays.
>>
>>44296543
I would allow a second set of feather wings for maximum angelness.
>>
>>44297430
>favored soul
Threadly reminder that UA is shit and that the favored soul is game poison.
>>
>>44299087
>UA is shit
A lot of it is, but not all of it
>>
>>44296881

>Should I bother trying to make a paladin to an evil god?

If you want to, but remember you're not Paladin of a god, you're Paladin of an Oath.

>The oath tenets in the PHB are almost universally good

Devotion is, Ancient is not necessarily benevolent, and Vengeance can be anywhere between good and evil, depending on what they do.

>the Crown tenets are all neutral anyways.

The Paladin could still be evil.

>What would be the best way to play a paladin of an evil god?

Depends of the god. The important part is that you're malevolent.

>>44297337

>Nobody is evil just for the sake of being evil. The concept of knowingly serving an "evil" god is flawed to begin with.

Some people enjoy doing what the god ask them to. Others just want the perks of power, and aren't bothered by the dirty work.

Plenty of people in real life willingly accept a malevolent employer for the same reasons.

>>44298025

No. The point of the Oathbreaker is that they're so much scum that even most evil Paladins don't drop that low.

Now, you could just refluff the class to keep the powers without the evil.
>>
>>44298025
>>44299378 has a lot of the right of it: the Oathbreaker as given in the DMG represents a Paladin who had not only broken his Oath, but has effectively sold out his vows in exchange for power. Combined with the undead/infernal nature of their powers (and, in a meta sense, the part where the heading says "Evil Class Archetypes") this is a pretty strong indication that the option want really designed to be anything other than a complete bastard.

My group uses a custom set of rules for PC Oathbreakers who aren't necessarily evil. The DM didn't want to restrict players interested in that kind of character arc to "OK, I'm spooky now. "
>>
Anyone here done any serious conversions from AD&D? I just got ahold of all of the Al-Qadim stuff and my players are currently headed from Skullport to Zakhara, so I have material to make. At this point I'm kind of just leaning towards making it all from scratch and just use the AD&D stuff for guidance
>>
>>44299585
Are you just converting locations and monsters, or player options as well?
>>
>>44299600
Just locations and monsters/npcs/items at the moment. Depending on how long we stay there (hopefully a while, I love that setting) I'll be working on player options as well, some of them at least. Also, potentially spells, just depends on whether or not I feel like I can make them balanced
>>
>>44299585
I've adapted the First Quest module. Basically just rewrote the adventurers and put 5e stats instead of the original. Things got quite deadly.
>>
>>44299641
I'd be careful with the player options. Even if you've got a lot of homebrew experience, pulling things from 2e to 5e power levels is a delicate thing. Not saying don't do it, just be mindful of how 5e's design has brought a lot of things to lower numbers.

Also, if your group is really into the character/roleplay stuff, you might consider having them need to learn new spells or weapons proficiencies from local masters, rather then simply having them select the new options.
>>
>>44299661
Do you feel like you did a decent job? Care posting so I can see how somebody else did it?
>>
>>44299574

I'm imagining a scene where adventurers are talking with an evil Vengeance Paladin called Sir Olric, after he and his army raided an enemy's nation village. The man is cruel, ruthless and entirely unapologetic about his actions, but ultimately does it because of a sense of duty toward his sovereign.

Then an Oathbreaker shows up, and Olric's face twists in disgust.
>>
>>44299700
As far as the character options go (classes), I was basically going to make from scratch while trying to keep the "spirit" of the old class, basically turning it into an archetype. I really like your suggestion for learning from local masters, I'm sure they'd dig that.
>>
>>44299087

Stop being so vitriolic about things, you old dusty bitch.
>>
>>44299727
>going to make from scratch while trying to keep the "spirit" of the old class
This is the right idea. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>44299705
I want to think that I did, but it is only on my mother language and not in English, sorry.
>>
>>44300464
It's all good, I'll figure it out, and just post some here later for criticism. It's been a long fucking time since I've played AD&D so trying to get a "power level" to translate into 5th will be the most difficult I think. Don't want to make a level 1 challenge in AD&D turn into a CR8 for fifth.
>>
>>44299708
Remember the drug lab scene in Dredd?

2 Oathbreakers, one morally-charcoal Crown.
>>
Do Dimensional Shackles prevent someone from being affected by the Donjon card?
>>
>>44296543
>le party
>one guy that asks everything to be harder, but keeps complaining about the system ("this is d&d, the only thing I do is attack!") and when things get too hard
>one guy that didnt read the rules but is a good player as in keeps his shit straight and is a teamplayer
>one rule afficionado that will take everything raw and try to advocate rules, which turns take forever
>a guy who gets pissed by his class mechanics everytime things font go his way, but its good at roleplay, but keeps leaving the table to smoke, therefore keeps missing information

Sessions went way better than expected, but boy, they are hard to handle.
Any tips for handling that shit, besides getting a new party?
>>
>>44298050
I played an adventure from the ADV. League and it felt very anime.
>>
>>44297429
Oathbreakers broke an oath. Paladin of an evil god just made an evil oath.
>>
>>44300800
Nice dubs.
Your table is 100% thatguy material.
Good luck.
>>
>>44300800
>>one guy that asks everything to be harder, but keeps complaining about the system ("this is d&d, the only thing I do is attack!") and when things get too hard

Nothing you can do about the complaining.

People who says they want the game to be harder often only want to feel awesome/smart by succeeding, but many don't want to work for it.

Unless you want to presents what happen in a more "awesome" manner.

>>one guy that didnt read the rules but is a good player as in keeps his shit straight and is a teamplayer

Not a problem player, explaining the rules when relevant should be enough

>>one rule afficionado that will take everything raw and try to advocate rules, which turns take forever

Cut the argueing short. You're the GM, it is you who decide how things work, ultimately. Not to say you have to be a jerk about it or ignore suggestions, just that if you want to move on and continue the game, do it.

Also, be careful to not let yourself get caught in the arguments.

>>a guy who gets pissed by his class mechanics everytime things font go his way, but its good at roleplay, but keeps leaving the table to smoke, therefore keeps missing information

The first part can't really be handled with. For the smoking, just ask another player to summarize the infos while you move on.

I wish you the best games ever, anon.
>>
File: 1448247574233.jpg (247 KB, 600x771) Image search: [Google]
1448247574233.jpg
247 KB, 600x771
>>44298248
God damn I love FF4. I'd play the shit out of that as a D&D game.
>>
A little help here: If I'm reading the conditions appendix right, then attack rolls do not count as ability checks, which means the Bull's Strength and Cat's Grace functions of Enhance Ability do nothing in combat. Have I got this right?
>>
>>44301111
Yeah sounds about right.
>>
>>44301201
Well that's disappointing. I guess I can homebrew up something simple.
>>
>>44296881
You can write your own oath, the PHB spells that out right before giving you the default tenets. You could be an eco-terrorist Ancients paladin, or a slaughtering paladin of Vengeance.
>>
>>44299574
How about an oathbreaker who had to sell his vows like that because he needed the power to do a great good, or maybe even a smaller good deed but kind of selfish action (Like saving his wife from disease) and now he has to pay the price and live with the stigma?
>>
if i plan to make a swashbuckler rogue, should i start as a fighter or rogue? gonna have to dip eventually for the fight style
>>
>>44301485
Only because there is a "Duelist"-named feature, it doesn't mean you should dip a level in Fighter just for it.
>>
>>44301555
swashbuckler rogues focus on TWF, so i would be dipping for the bonus to offhand attack damage.
>>
>>44300937
Thanks, anon!
>>
>>44301568
I personally think rogue, because you get more skill proficiencies than if you started fighter and multiclassed into rogue.
>>
>>44301663
yeah the only reason i was considering fighter was the save prof's for fighter seem more useful than the rogues, but maybe not as useful as the extra skills from rogue.
>>
>>44301661

You're welcome.

Remember: no one is perfect, and trying to please everyone is the surest way to failure, but trying to formate everyone to one's standards isn't the solution either.

In the end, having fun is what matter.
>>
>>44301049
Honestly, Eberron strikes me as the closest thing to Final Fantasy in D&D
>>
How do I make the most stupid-tanky Totem barbarian possible, with no homebrew?
>>
>>44301442
The stigma remains, yeah.

It's just so they have options besides "do selfish things, we Arthas now."
>>
>>44302593
ALLLLL THE CON
>>
>>44302593
Hill dwarf, 3rd level bear totem with tough feat ASAP. Roll you health and hope for the best boy-on
>>
>>44302593
Dex Barbarian, with a shield. Get an Ancients Paladin friend to stand near you if magic shit is gonna be a problem. Max Dex and Con, take feats that make your saves better like Resilience. Etc.
>>
>>44300800
>this is D&D you just attack!
The nerve on this guy.
I bet he always plays chaotic neutral and says shit like MUH FREEDOM just to justify stabing random npcs.
>>
>>44300937
>>44301955
This anon knows how shit works.

>>44302571
Which final fantasy?
>>
>>44302935

>This anon knows how shit works.

Thanks
>>
I am about running an adventure of mine soon enough. Any tips for newish GM? It's probably spanning from 7th level onwards.
Generally I am just wondering about the difficulty... Some of the players are rather new so I figure I probably have to defang some of my ideas.
For example, the big bads are probably overpowered, but I kinda want them to tiptoe around them, dealing with more critical elements than those knobs.

How deadly is 'deadly' by encounter builders anyway?
>>
>>44302904

Eh. Once, I tried to GM online for people used to other systems

I admit I wasn't a great DM for this game, but damn, when people flat out told they didn't want to describe what they did in battle unless there is a mechanical incentive, it completly puzzled me
>>
>>44303696

>Any tips for newish GM?

Don't make a plan, then make your players follow it.

What I advise is to give them options to do things, integrate the ones they think of themselves into the list, and have a vague idea of the different events that will happen unless the PCs change something.

For exemple, if you have the PCs in a town, they could go talk to the local lord, or visit the market. But the players could also say "let's find a bare-knuckle tournament".

> the big bads are probably overpowered, but I kinda want them to tiptoe around them, dealing with more critical elements than those knobs.

If you do this, make it clear that's the best option, and that the PCs are otherwise completly outclassed

>How deadly is 'deadly' by encounter builders anyway?

Relatively deadly, but generaly not TPK, if I remember well.
>>
So my friend has asked me to make him a Witcher class in D&D 5 (or more accurately, he was going to make one himself and this was surely going to be disastrous). I'm looking for feedback. Definitely not final, it's just what I threw together in about 30 minutes.

So it's an archetype for the no spells ranger variant.

At third level, they gain access to five cantrips, each representing a "sign" from the Witcher series. Additionally, each one may be empowered to cast a related first level spell instead. The Aard sign is thunderclap into Thunderwave, Yrden is mold earth into Entangle, Igni is fireblot into burning hands, quen is blade ward into shield, and Axii is charm into charm person. I was considering either Wis/long or Prof/long number of "empowered" casts per day.

Also elected to give them expertise in alchemy kit and the ability to silver weapons (this is mostly a ribbon, so whatever).

At 7th, they gain the ability to, as a reaction, add their prof to AC, and if the attack misses, they make a counterattack with advantage.

Also gave them immunity to the poisoned condition and resistance to poison damage.

At 11th level, they gain the ability to cast a sign as a bonus action (but not more than one spell per turn, and they cannot cast the same cantrip twice).

At 15th, they gain the Heliotrop sign, which they can invoke as a reaction to becoming the target of a spell. This grants disadvantage to hit them, advantage on their save, and resistance to the damage. Probably wis/long or once per short or something.

I tried to stick to what other ranger archetypes had in their layout, with a straight combat boost at 3rd, a defense at 7th, and way to make additional attacks at 11th, and some way to avoid damage at 15th.

My current balance concerns, just glancing it over, are that dropping all five signs at level 3 gives them too much stuff early on, and that it's all just too much on top of the maneuvers from the spell-less ranger chassis.

Thoughts?
>>
>>44304007
Why not just use the blood hunter class as a chasis? It already has a notWitcher subclass. Just tweak things from there.

http://geekandsundry.com/matt-mercer-presents-the-blood-hunter-class-for-dd/
>>
>>44304007
Do the cantrips scale as normal or not? If so, how do they compare to their empowered versions? Do those scale too as if with higher spell slots?
If so I'd suggest you make the 11th lvl feature more like war magic - weapon attack as bonus instead of cantrip as bonus.

I don't think giving them all the cantrips at third is too much; blade ward for example is nearly worthless before you get a war magic like feature. Though allowing them to empower them so soon too might be too much.

You could make up some new maneuvers for the witcher schools or potion creation system to replace some other features; the archetype seems weak on the swordsman and alchemy parts of witchering
>>
>>44304294
>For a capstone ability at level 20, all classes tend to have something frikkin awesome and epic.
He must be playing a different 5e
>>
>>44304387
Hey, if regaining 4 sorcery points/ki points/superiority dice/bardic inspiration isn't the most epic for the win thing ever, I don't know what is. Except maybe getting an extra attack as a fighter.
>>
For a the sake of fluff, am I okay as a DM to swap Eldritch Blast for Ray of Frost for the Warlock cantrip (and all relevant evocations)?

It's less damaging and more all-or-nothing, but it does take away 10ft of movement, which seems like it'd go with repelling blast really well.
>>
>>44304990
Why? What's the character concept?
>>
>>44305026

It's an Archfey Warlock, and the fey in question is the Lord of Ice, essentially.
>>
>>44305079
Is the player asking for it? I feel like that' reasonable if so. But you could always just refluff eldritch blast instead and say it manifests itself as a snowball/icicle/chilly breeze or something badass like that.
>>
>>44304990

Pretty sure that would cripple the Warlock.

Unless you mean "everytime Eldritch Blast is mentioned, it's Ray of Frost instead"
>>
>>44304990
Does the player in question intend to take Repelling Blast? If not, the synergy is irrelevant.

Would you be alright also altering the cantrip so it was multiple attack rolls, instead of damage scaling?
>>
Would it be possible to implement the hexblade melee attacks from 4e in 5e, using the template of the melee cantrips from SCAG?
>>
How would you guys deal with a PC creating a warforged. Not a bunch of them, just one. The idea is that he'll transfer characters to the warforged.
>>
>>44305748
That's pretty dope. How does one go about creating a warforged, though?
>>
>>44305343
I'll have to go back and look at it later, but I just wanted to be helpful and let you know that... anything is possible, anon
>>
>>44305216

Essentially, in that all invocations pass over.

>>44305226
If it were multiple rolls that'd greatly unbalance it in the future I'd think- if, say, three rays hit, you've basically stopped someone dead for a turn. Not that that wouldn't be fun.

Anyway, it's an NPC, so no current worries about abuse. But you never know if a player will decide to multi-class and ask for Fey patronage in the future.
>>
>>44305748

How common a practice is it?

If this is a world first, I'd give him a high chance of killing himself during the transfer if he hasn't even practiced on other creatures and stuff first.
>>
>>44305226
I don't know, that seems awfully strong to reduce someones speed 10ft multiple times. Especially with repelling blast.

Although now I want to be in a party with a couple of spellcasters that use ray of frost...
>>
Has anyone homebrewed another good Barbarian path?
>>
>>44306052
I saw a homebrew awhile ago entitled something like thunderlord. It seemed pretty rad but it's been awhile since I've seen it. It was one of those made on reddit homebrews.
>>
File: Path of the Primalist.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Path of the Primalist.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44306052
>>
>>44306015
PHB 204, Combining Magical Effects. The speed would only be reduced once.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/errata-monster-manual-and-dungeon-master%E2%80%99s-guide

The core 3 are now fully errata'd, y'all.
>>
>>44306312
That's nifty. Thanks.
>>
>>44305892

The fact is that the warlock is more a magic-flavored combat character than a true spellcaster; they get extra attacks at 5, 11 and 17 thanks to Eldritch Blast.

What you should be looking to do, especially in the hands of an NPC, is to reflavor EB and its invocations instead of using RoF as a base.

So the frost EB wouldn't slow by default - but maybe with Repelling Blast, you slow the creature by 10 feet instead of moving him 10 feet, but no more than that - any additional hits with EB push it away as normal.
>>
>>44306312

That might be way too synergous with actual Druid levels. Perhaps note that you can't cast other class' spells while raging.
>>
>>44306344

As the DM I'd happily ignore that in this instance.
>>
>>44306423

That honestly sounds more complicated than just replacing the spell.
>>
>>44306723

It changes two things: the damage type and the first effect of Repelling Blast. That's it. Not that complicated.
>>
>>44306356
Most of the changes were very minor though. Only ancient dragons got a significant change.
>>
File: tumblr_nzml6iruGx1ukgbqco2_540.jpg (193 KB, 540x764) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzml6iruGx1ukgbqco2_540.jpg
193 KB, 540x764
This just in
>>
>>44305343
Most of the hexblade attacks had little numerical modifiers, like +/-2. It's not really in keeping with 5e's style to use numbers like that, and advantage seems too much for such a small number.

So no. You'd have to alter the powers a fair bit to fit them into 5e.
>>
File: tumblr_nzml6iruGx1ukgbqco1_540.jpg (132 KB, 540x764) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzml6iruGx1ukgbqco1_540.jpg
132 KB, 540x764
>>44307052
>>
>>44307052
>>44307073
>homebrew for ants
Also
>images and not PDFs
The worst thing about reddit's fancy homebrew formatting shit. That and shitty homebrew elitism.
>>
>>44307114
Yeah it's all retarded but I remember someone talking about FF here.

How do people make them look so pretty?
>>
Alright, just curious about Eldritch Knights. If I use Warcaster, do I get to make extra attacks with the bonus attack, or is it a choice between attacking 2+ times or cantrip + attack? I want to feel like someone who casts spells a lot in addition to just swinging my sword, is all.
>>
File: 1447406365413.jpg (39 KB, 661x509) Image search: [Google]
1447406365413.jpg
39 KB, 661x509
>>44307073
>Reflexive Jump on the actual game would not work because most DRG are braindead
>>
>>44307140
There is nothing about warcaster that affects Extra Attack.
>>
>>44307140
You cast your cantrip and attack once. No extra attacks. Most of the time a regular attack action would serve you better
>>
>>44307193
>>44307212

Diiisappointing. If I wanted to ask my DM to addthat in (maybe make a cantrip as a bonus action??) what would do you think would be a fair trade off?
>>
>>44307255
The fact cantrips scale make them pretty broken to use in addition to a fighter's full attack action. They would need to consume resources like the sorcerer's metamagic
>>
>>44307299

Yeah, I figured I would want to sacrifice an attack or something to make the attacks with the cantrip.
>>
>>44303696
Couple of things off the top of my head:

You seem to have everything planned out already. Don't do that.

If you must have big bads, then don't design them to be beatable by the party. Make them reasonably strong, give them flaws and then, most importantly, have them do things that the players/characters don't like. The players can't stop them (yet), so they just have to try and mitigate the damage.

Of course, there are multiple of them, all ideally doing different things. This puts players in a state of putting out multiple fires and weighing options. If they don't act againts Zedrash the Bold's warband, then the Free Cities will be in danger. But if they don't deliver the Scepter of the Lost Kings to the Dwarven Underking, then the goblin sorcerer will unmake the Seal Arch, weakening the kingdom (possibly forever). And so on.

I don't generally like the idea that big bads are necessarily strong in combat. In real life, Putin and Obama are not 15 CR muscle men. Yet, they literally control enormous swaths of the world and can change the world's course by signing some papers. Think about that sort of thing when you're creating villains.
>>
>>44307052
>>44307073
Mother fucker. I thought we killed this awful thought experiment months ago.

Back to your holes.
>>
Why do druid spells suck so much ass? none of the level 1-3 spells feel particularly good and a lot of them can actually make things harder for your team because HURRRR only sorcerers and sculpt their spells around team mates.

FUCK. WOTC!

Also, even in the elemental evil book, druids get the fucking shaft.
>>
File: laughing animes.gif (3 MB, 445x247) Image search: [Google]
laughing animes.gif
3 MB, 445x247
>>44307550
>druidsplaining this hard
>>
>>44307722

What?!
>>
>>44301286
Giving advantage on attack rolls is a very strong spell.

Foresight, a 9th level spell, does it
>>
>>44307550
First:
> why do Druid spells suck so much ass?
Druid spells are fine. Just because CoDzilla is dead doesn't mean your class isn't serviceable. Welcome to normal.

Second:
> only sorcerers can sculpt their spells
See: evoker wizard, who can do it for free. Being butthurt doesn't preclude reading the manual.

Third:
Why aren't you a bear?
>>
File: v1FlZYl.png (1 MB, 743x1076) Image search: [Google]
v1FlZYl.png
1 MB, 743x1076
With all this talk of Evil Paladin Oaths and Final Fantasy, Ive always loved the idea of a Dark Knight , sacrificing health for more damage. Would giving them the ability to augment their smite through the expenditure of Hit dice be a decent trade off?
>>
>>44307860

because we are level 6 and bears fall off after level fucking 4. Also, I am a land druid.
>>
So reading through the spell components (V, S, M), I'm a little confused. The book seems to imply that anything can be a verbal component, you just need to make noise so that silencing you would prevent you from casting spells requiring a verbal component, and seems to imply the same for somatic.

Is that the correct interpretation? Can you subtly cast magic by, say, bowing to somebody and saying good evening? Or do you have actually have to speak gibberish and swing your hands around madly?
>>
>>44308344
>Verbal (V)
>Most spells require the chanting of mystic words. The words themselves aren’t the source of the spell’s power; rather, the particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance, sets the threads of magic in motion.

>Somatic (S)
>Spellcasting gestures might include a forceful gesticulation or an intricate set of gestures.
That is, anything could be a verbal (and, by implication, though it is not explicitly stated, somatic) component, as dictated by you or (more likely) your DM - but that component will ALWAYS correspond to the same spell.

So, yes, you can cast magic by bowing to somebody and saying good evening; however, you will ALWAYS have to bow and say good evening at that specific angle and in that specific tone of voice.

This specific combination of bow and speech would logically appear awkward and unusual to the casual observer, and not be something most people do (or else we would have people blowing themselves up every time they greet each other), and any competent magic user would similarly be able to recognize it for what it is.
>>
Hey, I'm thinking of getting back after a 10-year break to DMing, and 5E looks like a good jumping-in point.

Thing is, I'm heavily leaning towards a hexcrawl-style campaign, possibly with drop-in, drop-out characters. Are there any relevant published or homebrew materials I can browse to get my bearings?
>>
>>44308344

basically what >>44308538 said, tapping into the weave to cast magic requires a very specific set of gestures and/or spoken components per spell. that's why you can do an arcana check to recognize what spell someone is casting; the spells have a specific component to them that's similar for everyone.
>>
>>44308153
>Not being a polar bear
>>
>>44307073
>>44307052

>You're just jumping
>Apparently this causes you to cease to exist until your next turn.

I'm not one of those "Martials have to make sense while Mages break the rules" types but fucking come on. Your fluff needs to pretend to abide by the rules of common sense. Can I Jump Attack with a roof over my head? Sure, apparently. Can a flying creature hit me while I'm in the air? Nope, neither can a Spell Sniper warlock with 600ft range on his EB.

Reflexive Jump is nonsense that no other class in the game can compare to. Read as "5 times per long rest, tell attacker to go fuck himself".
Power Word Kill? Ancient Dragon bites me? Trying to Wish me out of existence? Lol no I jump. Because of Freedom of the Sky he can even do this while Unconscious or a fucking Petrified pile of stone.

Like, did they TRY to make this retarded?
>>
>>44307073
>>44307052
This is too metagamey
>>
>>44308767

The funniest part is imagining someone jumping in a cave where they just vanish and don't slam their head off an impenetrable rock ceiling and die.

>unconscious or a pile of stone

bahahaha
>>
>>44308767
>he can even do this while Unconscious or a fucking Petrified pile of stone.
You are allowed 'a save' without exception. What the hell happens to conditions that don't normally allow a save? What are you supposed to fucking roll?
>>
>>44308767

is that shit from WOTC or some kind of player made mumbo jumbo?
>>
>>44309379
It's homebrew. WotC never gussies up the single-purpose docs they put out like Unearthed Arcana.
>>
>>44307139

There are templates out there.

I made a Photoshop template that a good chunk of the community uses (there's another one out there, last I checked), and there's a Google Drive template as well that's slightly less on-model.

I'd post a link to my blog, or to leddit, but the 4chan filter has never liked linking to either of those places.
>>
File: undead race v0-3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
undead race v0-3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
/tg/ likes playing as skellingtons, right?
>>
>>44302593
>>44302593

Equal levels of barbarian (totem) and rogue (thief). Barbarian and constitution gives you survival, rogue and sentinel feat gives the enemies a reason to actually go after you instead of the squishies. You have the ability to move around the battlefield to where you need to be, and you can grapple and drag your opponents out of your friends way. The only suck is being limited to rapier or scimitar. >>44302593
>>
>>44307052
That's not what "dragoon" means.
>>
>>44309587

The term dragoon at this point has ended up with two meanings in RPGs.

A) Actual cavalry dragoons
B) Dragon-inspired high mobility leapers.

Oddly enough, similar origin for them (Dragoons being named for a Dragon pistol)
>>
>>44309620
I rarely ever see the word property used.
>>
>>44298025
I'm playing one currently. DM decided that the gods would come to earth,, turns out those gods are kinda assholes so now i'm fighting them to save humanity from their tyranny. Pretty lame but it feels so good killing gods.
>>
>>44297337
You do get sadidts and stuff in real life. Not sure it would be possible to pull out such extreme real life examples of do-badders like probally can for real life do-gooders. But I think there are examples of the genral idea.

Perhaps come up with three seprate evil oaths that mirror the good oaths.

So a Evil Devotion where you are a weirdo that does bad things for the love of being evil.

Then a sort of Evil Natrul Order where you see the world as an inherently evil, harsh, place. You have to be strong to survive and crush others underfoot before they crush you. Teaching others this reality might be part of what you want, either from a twisted form of aultrism or so as to gather strong comrades to help survive this horrible place.
Evil as a Means To an End. You serve and evil god and do evil things all for your personal benifit. Sometimes your nice if it gets you what you want. But go too far with that and your benefactors might not like it.
>>
>>44308153
>Also, I am a land druid.
So you only have yourself to blame.
>>
>>44308119

This is based on the Final Fantasy Dark Knight, primary inspiration from FFXI and FFXIV off the wiki (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Knight). Rough draft, open to critique and changes if necessary. Enjoy!

Oath of Blood

Tenets:

Independence: Fight for what is true and let none command you.

Sacrifice: Dedicate your life to protecting those who cannot protect themselves, no matter the cost to yourself.

Grit: Never balk at pain or fear.

*Needs work. I’m basing these on the medieval “Black Knights” who were "a minority group of knights who refused to serve lords or kings. Instead they looted and raided, hunted bounties, or lived off the charity from the more humble folk, in much the same manner as a Japanese ronin. As they had no master, and thus no squire, they would paint their armor a signature black color to prevent rust and damage. Dark knights were considered by many a necessary evil, as they would protect villages and lesser people from invaders and bandits, but would also cause problems in the regions they dwelt in to sustain themselves.”

Oath Spells
3rd: Arms of Hadar, Bane
5th: Blindness/Deafness, Ray of Enfeeblement
9th: Bestow Curse, Vampiric Touch
13th: Blight, Evard's Black Tentacles
17th: Cloudkill, Contagion
>>
>>44308608

I don't think so, for 5e at least.

Sorry. Anything esle I could help with?
>>
>>44308119
>>44310090
Channel Divinity:
Souleater
When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you may use your Channel Divinity to heal yourself for half the damage dealt.

Turn Outsiders
Fiends and Celestials

Dark Arts
Starting at 7th level, any time you hit with a melee weapon attack you may use this ability to deal an additional 1d10 necrotic damage. Every time you use this ability, you must either expend one Hit Die or take 1d10 necrotic damage. You can do this at the same time as a Smite, and you may choose to change your Smite damage to necrotic instead of radiant.

Sanguine Delirium
Starting at 14th level, when you are at half your maximum health points or less, you gain advantage on melee weapon attack rolls.

Last Resort
As a free action on your turn you may activate Last Resort. For 1 minute, all damage you deal is doubled and ignores all Resistances, but you gain Vulnerability to all forms of damage. You may cancel this state as a free action at the beginning of your turn any round after the round you activate it. You cannot use this ability again until you complete a long rest.

This is intended to be a "high risk; high reward" play style. It's a rough draft I came up with while at work today. I was inspired to create it after seeing Drackolus's Homebrew: the Dark Knight thread.

EDIT: Added Oath spells. They're mostly debuffs, but I added some attack spells where options were lacking or it seemed especially thematic.

This isn't mine but looks good what do you guys think?
>>
>>44310090
>>44310116
> Grit
lel

I mean, it's not bad mechanically, but it manages to have extreme thematic overlap with the Oathbreaker while somehow being even edgier. It's even more jarring for having been described as a defender of the defenseless while all of his abilities are spooky in the extreme.

The mechanics aren't bad (except last resort; fuck that bullshit), but the whole thing just feels laughably overdone.
>>
Would an improvised thrown weapon attack be eligible for Sneak Attack?

Are there even any features or abilities that can interact with improvised weapons in the first place?
>>
>>44310067

I've been trying to grok Druids in the new edition, so for those of us who are less informed, what's wrong with land Druids? Is Wild Shape really strong for moon Druids?
>>
>>44310067

well how was I supposed to know that land druids are fucking gimped?
>>
>>44310356
>Wild shape into high hp monsters to stay alive forever
>>
>>44310339

I don't see why not. I don't have my books with me; does Sneak Attack preclude it? Improvised weapons are like any other weapon attack except you aren't proficient with them unless you have Tavern Brawler.
>>
>>44310399

I honestly think this had to be a fuckup on WotC's part. It's like having 50+ temporary HP, plus you fight better.
>>
>>44310497
>>44310399

Is moon druid the superior druid? I just hate the flavor of them. I like land a lot more but apparently its crap?
>>
>>44310545
Moon is the superior form. Because WIldshape OP
>>
>>44309528
>Rattlebones, Gentleman Rogue
>Make Bone puns all day
>Rapier hidden in my cane
>Uses his own bones as tools
>disguise as everything

I need to be this.

>>
>>44310565

Assuming for the sake of argument that Moon is considered OP and the HP benefit is nerfed to a much more reasonable level; is there anything wrong with the Land Druid?
>>
>>44310339
>Would an improvised thrown weapon attack be eligible for Sneak Attack?

Sneak attack requires a finesse or ranged weapon.

The question is then: Is this improvised weapon capable of being used semi-effectively in melee range?

If it is, it's an improvised melee weapon that you happen to be throwing, and isn't strictly speaking a RANGED weapon. Also, you'd probably make the thrown attack with Strength, given that it wouldn't have the finesse property.

If it's ranged (i.e. if you'd use Dexterity for the throw and it has no melee component) then yes, you could Sneak Attack with it.

Problem is, most improvised weapons will have a melee component, so odds are you aren't going to be able to Sneak Attack with them, even if they're thrown.
>>
>>44310356
I was a little harsh in >>44310067. I loved my land Druid character; did coast. Played a windsurfing hermit.

You get lots of utility spells and thematic abilities, but land druids are better suited to exploration and nature shenanigans. The circle of the moon is the damagy class where you can fuck up monsters by turning into them.

Not every class in 5e is a damage dealer, but 5e isn't a mob grinder. Most pnp games aren't mob grinders. Everything can be fun if you know why you're playing.

>>44310391
They're not fucking gimped; they're good at what they do, which is shit control spells everywhere. Again, if you'd actually read the fucking book before making a choice, you wouldn't be a pissy Real Man stuck playing a supporting spellcaster.
>>
File: exotic weapons v0-4.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
exotic weapons v0-4.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44310600
>Rapier hidden in my cane

I also made rules for this.
>>
>>44310610
Other than if you want to be a full caster and do crazy magic you might be better off going Wizard no not really.

If you really like the Land Druid go ahead there is nothing INHERENTLY flawed about Land druids it's just outclassed by Moon
>>
>>44310665
How the fuck do people make these?

Fuuuck it's so good
>>
>>44310695

I actually designed my own Photoshop template based on a guide I read.

Like I said here: >>44309460, though, I can't link it on 4chan, because the filter doesn't like blog links and it's a faux pas with the board culture here besides.

If you go to my blog in the credits at the end of each of my homebrews, though, you can find my template pretty easily.
>>
>>44310391

They're not gimped - they're just not Glass Cannon casters. And Moon Improved Wild Shape just outclasses a lot of things.

Which, if you'd actually read the PHB AT ALL, you'd have realised.

As has been the way since D&D first appeared, if you wanted to chuck spells and erase enemies from existence, roll a goddamned Wizard.
>>
>>44310763
Nice I was planning on finishing my Dry Lich port from 3.5 for shits and giggles. Also includes Sand Golems.
>>
When does the reaction you get from the feat sentinel to make an attack against an enemy 5 feets from you that targets a friendly ally triggers? after the enemy has made the attack roll and damage or before?
If before, can you use the maneuvering attack from the battle master fighter to get the ally out of range? And if so, can the enemy choose a new target if the target he chose is no longer valid?
Thanks
>>
>>44310797

I don't want to erase people from existence or whatever but I want to be USEFUL. Shit like spike growth and entangle isn't very useful indoors where enclosed spaces can fuck over your team. So absically, druids have all this AoE shit but it sucks because it can tag your team mates and all the good utility spells are concentration so forget using them in tandem.
>>
So what's the deal with bards. I saw on a few forums that this edition really caters to them, but I must be blind because I just don't see it. They seem slightly better than 3.5 but other than that, they're not that special.
>>
Is there any class that really works well with Crossbow master, using a one handed weapon and A Hand Crossbow? I have an idea of playing a pirate who uses a sword and gun (rescinded hand Xbox)
>>
>>44311295
Fighter. Ask your dm if you can use the unearthed arcanas for the closed quarrel shooter fighting style.
>>
>>44311099
Unless otherwise specified, reactions go after the triggering event is resolved (DMG page 252). So unfortunately, no. The creature takes the attack, resolves it, and you make your attack after.
>>
>>44311462
Allright, thanks!
>>
>>44311198
Bards can steal the best spells from every class, and valor bards are more or less the best balanced-gish in the game. They can melee, range, blast, control, debuff, buff, heal, and are great skill monkeys. They are quite literally the jacks of all trades in 5e.
>>
>>44311295
>rescinded hand Xbox
Big fat phoney
>>
>>44311711
Reskinned hand Xbow. Sorry had a brain fart
>>
>>44311634
Only steal a spell up to spell level 3 though it looks like. Unless they can trade it out later on. And the level 14 ability for Valor bard is reminiscent of War magic for EK, granted the Bard probably has a better spell list.
>>
>>44311888
That's only for Lore bards, who can steal a few spells early. All bards get to steal two spells each at 10th, 14th, and 18th (see Magical Secrets, PHB pg54).

Which means they can steal Wish, giving them even more spell-stealing access (once-per-day any spell of 8th level or lower, any class, ignoring long casting times and expensive material components).
>>
>>44311942
Wow alright, that's good to know. Thank you.
>>
I want to give my players a weather manipulating magic item as part of a greater macguffin. Control weather is an 8th level spell so I want to hear any potentially game breaking uses before I pass it off to some level 6 adventurers.

If it's just fluff because controlling the environment in such a dramatic fashion is the purview of powerful spell casters, then I'm fine with it. I'm just concerned there's something I'm missing that they're going to see and be tempted to destroy encounters with.
>>
>>44312108
Well, it interacts pretty well with lightning bolt to boost its power. Also the ability to literally end civilizations with perpetual unseasonable blizzards and the like. Arctic cold and desert heat can both be deadly. Plus, suddenly freezing things like swamps can kill entire armies.

Just gotta think of how far-reaching the implications of such a power are.
>>
>>44312108
What are the restrictions on the item. Can it be used continually or does it need to rest for 8 hours between uses? Can the controlling player choose the weather, or will you the gm choose the weather based on the rules in the spell which says it's a more gradual effect.
>>
>>44310110
Alright, then, some general questions about the system.
How modular and/or flavour-dependent is the whole thing? Like will the whole balance be thrown to shit if I take some races and/or classes off the playable list?
Are there any ways to break the game at low-ish level I should be looking out for?
>>
>>44311295
Fighter class would work best for this playstyle but swashbuckler rogue could also be very effective. Depends on whether or not you plan to use a scimitar and if you want sneak attack or more attacks.
>>
>>44312875

>how modular and/or flavor-dependent is the whole thing?
>will balance be thrown to shit if I take some races and/or classes off the playable list

No, but as I explained in a previous thread, I'd strongly recommend against doing that. Good settings (and good GMs) look for ways to *include* options, not to exclude them. Banning classes or races doesn't make your game more interesting. For example, if worship of the gods is banned in your game, don't ban clerics - give players alternative sources of divine power, or allow them to still play a cleric, but with the knowledge that they can be punished if it becomes known.

What races or classes were you thinking of excluding? I'd prefer to help you think of ways to include them that still fits your vision.
>>
>>44312875
The only moderately broken things at low levels I can think of is variant human shenanigans, which usually balance out early/mid levels (between 4 and 8). I have a level 3 barbarian who is variant human with GWM. He gets off 20+ damage every time he hits, which is almost all of his attacks since he gets advantage every attack. Most other shenanigans aren't so bad though, but GWM is a deadly feat if used right.
>>
Rereading crossbow master, says I ignore the loading quality, does that mean extra attacks with a heavy crossbow can be done? I'm imagining it being flavored as a repeating crossbow.
>>
>>44313145
Basically. There are actual repeating crossbows in Out of the Abyss, but Crossbow Expert makes you extremely good at reloading any crossbow.
>>
>>44313341
I don't have Out of the Abyss yet. Just the 3 core and sword coast guide. Is the repeating crossbow good? Is that book worth picking up?
>>
>>44313341
>There are actual repeating crossbows in Out of the Abyss

Misleading.

There are actual repeating crossbows, but they belong to monsters as monster attacks and are not statted out for player use.
>>
>>44313420
It's a great adventure but only worth picking up the physical book if you plan on running it.

A repeating crossbow has halved range and a magazine of six bolts. It has no loading property (reloading after each firing) but reloading the cartridge takes an action.
>>
File: derro weapons.png (221 KB, 358x313) Image search: [Google]
derro weapons.png
221 KB, 358x313
>>44313504
They're statted out at the beginning of the monsters appendix in the book, since players are expected to take them as loot.
>>
>>44313546
>not in a weapon stat block format

The most annoying thing 5e does is break its own formatting rules, especially when I'm trying to find shit based on how it's appeared before.

I'm looking at you, SCAG Ghostwise Halfling.
>>
>>44313619
I love the ghostwise halfling. It allows for a much wider variety of halfling characters plus some fun telepathy hi-jinks.
>>
>>44313757

I do too, it's probably my favorite race option in the SCAG.

I just wish it got a full (and more obvious) writeup and wasn't relegated to an obscure sidebar.
>>
>>44313821
that is a bit annoying but I think that was only done because they were trying to fit in as much fluff about everything as possible without wasting any pages or ink. Not a good excuse but still an understandable one.
>>
If a Fighter 1/Ranger 1 take both Close-Quarters Shooter and Archery Fighting styles, they would both stack as long as the DM permits UA content, right?
>>
>>44313926
Rangers don't get a fighting style til level 2.

But yes. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, bonuses from different features stack.
>>
>>44313978
Ah, typo. I meant Ranger 2, but thank you anon
>>
>>44312108
How big is the item? Is it some big heavy thing to lug around, making it a hassle to carry (perhaps needing a mule or pushing it on a cart) and a visible target for thieves or others interested in the thing the party is going after? Or is it just a small handheld magic device you can put in a bag?

Is it a Magic device with charges or a once-per-day thing? Perhaps it could require a power source so that making use of it each time is a much more precious decision and they could seek out more macguffin-macguffins to power it which then would be an ideal lead to bring them to the plot.

If it is mimicking Control Weather, is it identical in ability or would you lessen the sort of things it can do compared to the spell? Control Weather can be extremely destructive in the shirt term - causing flood-level torrential rain or blizzard-like snow, scorching heat or extreme cold, still air or powerful winds in any environment, all potentially within an hour of determining the kind of weather you want.

With a spellcaster, he can keep it going for eight hours if he stays focused on it, but with an object, it basically just got rid of one of the two limitations it has of Concentration... although given the other limit of Control Weather, you'd have to keep it held out and/or in the open so that the spell can be maintained.
>>
>>44313757

Ghostwise seems underwhelming to me. I'd rather go Stout halfling for sweet poison resistance and just pick Message as a cantrip. The range on that is even 120 feet, instead of 30.
>>
>>44314265
Yeah it's not powerful but it is flavorful with the telepathy, and you can make a monk, druid, or cleric halfling with a solid 16 wisdom.
>>
>>44314265
Everyone likes Ghostwise 'cause it makes them feel special and different.

Forest Gnomes, Dragonborn, Tieflings, and Half-Anythings are proof enough that calling something rare or elusive is a surefire way to make everybody want it.
>>
So I'm assuming ranger is all around better but is a ranged fighter viable as well?
>>
>>44314518
>assuming ranger is all around better
Nope.
>is a ranged fighter viable as well?
Sure.
>>
>>44314540
So why isn't ranger better? I would have thought being a freaking ranger would be pretty good.
>>
>>44314573

Ranged Fighter is all about that damage output, Ranger shares part of it's development with spellcasting.
>>
>>44310665

Sap OP as fuck.
>>
>>44313031
Honestly? I'm considering tossing everything that isn't human. Maybe keep Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, and Dwarves in. Classes-wise, I'm doubtful about Monk and Druid.

That's why I asked about a ready-made setting that to play in first: I'd be able to see the full rules first, and then decide whether I want to modify it for my own thing or seek out a different system entirely.
>>
>>44314769

If you give me more to go on, I can fix it.
>>
>>44314573
If you want to be all shooty all the time, Ranged Fighter is the way to go.

If you wanna be a fieldcraft dude who tracks things and may or may not use a ranged weapon, Ranger's your bet.

Combat wise, the distinction I'd make is that Fighters get more attacks, but Ranger is the only class that gets multiattack (single attack, multiple targets). Fighter is, as the name indicates, fightier overall.
>>
>>44315159
It got me thinking about a special forces commando kinda guy, so I guess Ranger is it. Though Fighter would be useful in my current group.
>>
>>44314518
>So I'm assuming ranger is all around better
Based on what? Because it can't be the PHB, where rangers blow ass at almost everything.
>>
>>44314780

why would you want to disallow all this?
>>
My regular Encounters group isn't meeting this week, DM's busy with holiday stuff, so I'm gonna run an Expedition for everyone.
4-5, maybe 6 people, all level 5.
I was just wondering which of the Season 3 Expeditions would be the most fun for my players?
>>
so a friend of mine wants to join our dnd sessions (we are a bunch of lvl 4 noobs in our first dnd adventure ever) and I'm trying to help him in creating a character, but he doesn't find any of the classes interesting
He said he'd like a character that would be able to transform but not into beasts like druid (something that would enter demon/shadow/angel/whatever form)
What do you think would be the best for him, since what he wants doesn't exist? (as far as I know)
>>
>>44315714
Are you playing 5E?
I know paladins get a "form" like that based on their pact but not until way late, 18 if I recall correctly.
>>
>>44315714
You could let him play a changeling rogue. You could say they appeared in the Realms recently as followers of the new incarnation of the god Mask.
>>
>>44315787
yup it's 5e
We ended up a weird party, we have a bard, a wizard and a tempest cleric that cast shatter everywhere every second step they take. After watching us once his opinion on spells was that there aren't any useful utility spells, most spells either do damage or are useless (I figured he doesn't want something that focuses mainly on spell casting; which is cool cause we really don't need a 4th caster)
>>
Is a bard/paladin a good combo for a spellsword? I want someone able to cast spells yet do a decent amount of damage. I like the thought of bouncing around the battlefield screwing dudes up.
>>
>>44315787
Paladin capstone abilities at level 20 do this

>>44315714
Make him a Totem barb and make new totems for him to choose, semi-altering him to your liking when he rages
>>
>>44315952
>>44315714
Add in the shifter race maybe. Sure it's bestial but still cool.
>>
>>44310665
I'm probably going to use your scythe. I absolutely loathe them and a player is begging the hell out of me to have one, and won't see the reason behind me wanting to gimp the fuck out of it as compared to what it was in earlier editions (2d4? seriously? that's better then ACTUAL weapons!) I want to make it 1d6 but that's retarded too, but 1d4 is not enough. Shit's hard yo
>>
I've never played 5E, is it closer to 3.5 or >4E?
>>
>>44316101
Closer to 3.5e in some regards, but really its own beast altogether.
>>
File: Sir Bastard The Pigkicker.png (312 KB, 540x669) Image search: [Google]
Sir Bastard The Pigkicker.png
312 KB, 540x669
>>44296881
>paladin to an evil god?
>evil paladin

Neither of those are lore-breaking. There's no alignment or deity restriction, so you can have an evil paladin worshiping whatever you want. Paladins can also choose to not worship anyone in particular, instead drawing power from devotion to some principles or other. You could easily have a paladin who draws power from faith in humanity.

If you want to be more lore-friendly, an evil paladin would be devoted to some really fucked-up ideas of justice. He could be a Punisher knockoff, an overzealous inquisitor-type, a racial supremacist who thinks that inferior beings must be cleansed from the world, or even think that it's a kill-or-be-killed world where "might makes right" is the ultimate form of justice. There are a lot of possibilities for a Paladin's motivations and moral outlook, whether good, bad, or somewhere in-between.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend playing an evil PC. It creates more tension than it's worth, and it rarely ends well. I think the possibility of an evil paladin is better suited for the DM-side. Villainous class options like the Oathbreaker help the DM to create villains who are dramatic foils to the PCs, sort of mirror-images whose contrast highlights the PCs' own qualities. That effect may be cheapened somewhat when the same options are available to the ostensibly-heroic PCs.
>>
>>44315948
It definitely works. Paladin multiclasses into all of the charisma casters really well. Valor Bard if you're not going at least 5 levels in Paladin. And take magic initiate or steal GFB.
>>
>>44316255
GFB isn't as worthwhile if he's already going to get Extra Attack, though.

If he really wants to fuck with people, he should take the Sentinel feat, the Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style and the Booming Blade cantrip.
>>
>>44316408
If you go valor bard you get cantrip + an attack, both of which you can smite on and all it costs is a bonus action.
>>
Is it ok for a Bard to use his musical instrument as an improvised weapon. Something like a didgeridoo as a staff or a gong as a shield?
>>
>>44316408
GFB is actually competitive, if not superior to a single extra attack.
>>
>>44308119
This is literally that witch hunter class that vin diseals friends made for him to play. Look it up, I think it was linked a few times in this thread already.
>>
What about a beatboxing bard or a bard who walks around and bangs everything with drum sticks?
>>
>>44314780

Why do you want to toss things out so much? What doesn't work about the other races?

The fact is that just going "these don't exist in my world" is really, really lazy storytelling and really stifling. There aren't really that many classes or races available in core to begin with. You can instruct your players that they need to fit a certain flavor; like no explicitly ki-magic monks, but the class itself should function.
>>
>>44316631
Certainly, as long as there's a secondary target, but otherwise he'll want the additional attack to burn more Smites in one turn. Paladins revolve around first turn novas to end combats quickly, after all.
>>
>>44307052
>leave the battlefield
>jump so high you enter subspace

Do fuck off with this crap
>>
>>44307052
>>44307073
Just force a Pact Blade Warlock to take Jump and/or Levitate Invocations, and let him cast them simultaneously as a bonus action, and give him like advantage or +damage or something on a hit
>>
>>44314573
Ranger's combat ability doesn't measure up to the sort of meatgrinder the Fighter becomes.

Hunter's unique traits eventually lead to attacking multiple enemies in one turn compared to the Fighter already getting good at shredding one foe at a time with many attacks at a much lower level. If there's a fight against a bunch of minions, the Hunter Ranger could shine, potentially wiping out a shitload of them in one turn.

Ranger's favored enemy and terrain is as always only useful if the campaign is tailored to him and they actually do things that involve them. His tracking abilities and detection spells comes off as only a minor investigation boost, but other Classes have their own means of detecting targets or can get lucky with their search since no DM would make finding a thing hinge on requiring a Ranger's "unique" talents.

Picking Beastmaster to call up a Wolf, Riding Horse, Raven or Giant Wolf Spider is nice, could do a lot of stuff with them, but those CR 1/4 animal companions will only help so much in a fight, Ranger will also be sacrificing his Hunter combat abilities.

Ranger's limited Druid Magic has some unique utility compared to the limited Wizard spells of an Eldritch Knight, but Knight gets Cantrips, Ranger doesn't. A big part of Ranger also happens to hinge on his magic, spells like Hunter's Mark and Conjure Barrage. Once he blows his load, he's sort of crippled.
The inherit division between different fields that the Ranger dabbles in means he's a weaker Fighter and a half-assed Druid. A Battle Master Fighter with a couple levels in Druid could probably outdo a Ranger in pretty much every way.

It feels like they had no idea what to do with Ranger (as seen by his continued lack of extra stuff while other classes have gotten many more archetypes and whatnot) and split up what should be his core into two archetypes. I wonder how a Ranger with both Beastmaster and Hunter at the same time would measure up.
>>
>>44302571
Why is that? I've always wanted to run FF, but I never got around to figuring out how.
>>
File: Sheamus.jpg (217 KB, 1032x1400) Image search: [Google]
Sheamus.jpg
217 KB, 1032x1400
>>
>>44317369

>the meatgrinder the Fighter becomes

Out of curiosity, when people talk like this, are they assuming the fighter has 4 attacks? Because he gets the 4th at 20; except for maybe the very last few adventures of your game, the fighter has 3 attacks to everyone else's 2. It's a bonus, yes, but everyone else has other ways to pump up the damage they get - Sneak Attack, Smite, Rage Damage, Hunter's Mark, that sort of thing, plus other assorted benefits. The Fighter's third attack may still put him a bit ahead, but that's the point of the Fighter.

I might still be underestimating the 3-attack Fighter, but perhaps he's being overestimated as having 4 attacks longer than he actually does?
>>
>>44317566
Three attacks is really good with heavy weapon master. Probably wouldn't be if not for that
>>
>>44316808
I'd like a more low-fantasy approach. Something that was possible with 2e and to an extent 3e, but what I've seen of 5e so far feels a lot more, how should I put it? Over the top? Flashy? Cartoonish? It's not a bad thing, but it's something I want to avoid.

Probably what I should've asked first is will 5e work for a comparatively low-power campaign/setting without extensive houseruling or refluffing?
>>
>>44317849
It's heroic fantasy. PCs are hard to kill and "flashy" yes. Probably the safest edition for PCs, basically no trap options, etc.
>>
>>44296543
I'm dming a new 5e campaign soon and a player ask me if he can be a "greek titan" like character.
So by curiosity, how would you houseruling dualwielding two hand weapons?
>>
>>44317904
I wouldn't.
>>
Gentlemen, odd question.
What class would make a good capitalist/greedy jew? I want to be the richest bastard on the material plane. I'm talking "wearing a fire immunity amulet so I can relax in a hot-tub filled with my own molten gold" rich.
>>
>>44316931

>not getting the high ground
>>
>>44317904
I'd rather not, because I'm not confident in balancing that shit.

But if he really really fucking wanted to, I'd say that he'd firstly have to be at least Large in size (as per the Enlarge spell or similar), and then either treat said two-handed weapons as equivalent weapons of one size smaller, or else treat his weapons as though they were affected by the Reduce spell (i.e. reduce damage by 1d4 to a minimum of 1).

This only scales upwards as Small creatures and their weapons are covered by the Heavy property.

Beyond a certain point, Strength really has nothing to do with it, especially since it's capped at 20 in this edition; the weapons are just too bulky to be used effectively.
>>
>>44317937
There's a rogue subclass that is literally called "Thief."
>>
>>44318016
Thanks I will try to figure it out with this.
>>
>>44317892
>basically no trap options
>Beastmaster
>grappler
>wot4e
>>
>>44317904
I generally just wouldn't for 5th ed really. The most I would accommodate something like that is probably just making a custom feat where they can freely choose between two two-handed weapons on extra attacks. So for example if you own say a greatsword with fire damage and a +1 greatclub you could use either without having to deal with drawing/stowing. I'd probably add a little more than that and a strength point, but what I'm getting at is I'd probably stay away from making it too much like normal dual wielding with one handed weapons since two-handed ones have a lot going for them already
>>
>>44316466
Valor Bard Battle Magic requires the spell to be a bard spell, so you would have to use Magical Secrets to get the cantrip.
>>
>>44318029
Thats stealing, I'm talking investment and banking, legal currency and whatnot.
Sorry, should've specified.
>>
>>44317849

Where are you getting the "flashier" or "cartoonish" vibe from 5e? It seems less so than 3.5e did to me. There's far fewer magic weapons, there's fewer magic effects going on at once thanks to Concentration (so there's not a billion buffs going)... I'm not saying there's no heroic-fantasy elements, but I can't see how it's *more* so than 3e
>>
>>44318121
That falls under your background, rather than your class.

Having a high Int and/or Wis would help, though.
>>
>>44317892
Exactly. I really like the rules, but they seem a lot more ingrained into a fairly specific type of kitchen sink, everything goes kind of setting.
You don't just have some distant dragon ancestor (maybe) and that lets you cast magic much more naturally than others, you're literally 1/6 dragon with scales and acid vomit!

I'm at a loss as to how I could go about refluffing that! I don't doubt it's possible, but it seems like an undertaking I'm not ready for and simply not using the right tools for the task.
>>
>>44317937
Probably a mastermind rogue if you plan to get it through lawful loopholes. Also the criminal background would probably be best. Probably a fence who buys cheap and sells expensive and has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy so he can claim ignorance to any theft or other criminal acts.
>>
>>44317566
One reason fighters are meatgrinders is because they sustain, even before their third attack, they have good hp and AC, and they aren't as reliant on set-ups like rogues are. Your paladin blew all his spell points smiting the boss, and your barbarian ran out of rages halfway through the day (or even during a fight if it's a long one), but the fighter keeps on trucking as long as he has hit points. Fighters also get their shit back on a short rest, making them very dependable and consistent damage-dealers.

The thing is that, while a fighter offers good sustained damage, other martial classes have different tradeoffs and strengths. Paladins can burst down bosses and heal, rangers work well against hordes and get utility, and barbarians are great a few times per day.
>>
File: tmp_30302-Kingpin206210275.jpg (116 KB, 860x705) Image search: [Google]
tmp_30302-Kingpin206210275.jpg
116 KB, 860x705
>>44318139
Thought so, just trying to think pf creative ways to accumulate and hoard money without just robbing people.
>>44318148
Yes, this could work. Totally forgot about the mastermind rogue, thanks anon.
>>
File: 1435466988014.jpg (258 KB, 1203x1366) Image search: [Google]
1435466988014.jpg
258 KB, 1203x1366
>>44318141
You don't even need to refluff dragon sorcerer to have just a slimmer of dragon ancestry.
>"Most often, sorcerers with this origin trace their descent back to a mighty sorcerer of ancient times who made a bargain with a dragon or who might have even claimed a dragon parent."
You just happen to be where it shows, even if the rest of your family isn't. Innate draconic language, like dragons. You're better at interacting with dragons, because they smell the blood on you and take you more seriously because of it. You have skin that bears resemblance to the armored hide of dragons. (It's a "thin sheen", it could be craggy or nearly invisible, your call.) You get better at casting your heritage element and can resist it. You get wings. Finally, you can show everyone your draconic power innately, right to their instincts, if your obvious features didn't cut it.

You don't even get a breath weapon, that's dragonborn.
>>
File: X Marcus X.jpg (133 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
X Marcus X.jpg
133 KB, 894x894
>>44318244
My pleasure. Just be sure to cut me in on the profits. I won't ask for much, just enough to fund my *ahem* "experiments". If all goes well your investment in my talents will greatly increase your income.

You would be surprised what people would pay for mind broken slaves with two heads. (And yes, i legit have a character who can give people two heads).
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.