[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So currently in my group we have a bit of an issue regarding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 266x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 266x400
So currently in my group we have a bit of an issue regarding a poor wording of a wish to an omnipotent being. The exact wording of the wish was something like "I wish that all who have died would be revived". Immediately afterwords the GM described the ground and temple shaking heavily, then silence again. The session ended there and I'm scared as to what we got ourselves into. Any ideas?
>>
>>44293363
>Everyone buried is revived
>are still buried under several feet of soil
>immediately die again

Sounds fine to me
>>
Lots and lots of zombies, probably.
>>
Depends on the interpretation of "all".
Presumably it's limited to only beings with a soul in this fantasy universe, but otherwise your entire planet should be blotted out by the sheer mass of septillions of microorganisms that suddenly spring into being.
>>
Sounds like you're going to have a lot of upset monsters, NPCs, and BBEGs after your asses.
>>
>>44293406
Sounds like this to me. It was a dumb wish, even if you had worded it perfectly.
>>
File: ash-de-evil-dead-183263063.jpg (486 KB, 1440x1980) Image search: [Google]
ash-de-evil-dead-183263063.jpg
486 KB, 1440x1980
>>44293363
It means your entire campaign will be focused on slaying undead now. You basically gave your DM an idea.
>>
>>44295596
Is there a picture of evil Ashley?
>>
The whole earthquake thing sounds reminiscent of the biblical events accompanying Christ's harrowing of hell and resurrecting all the dead. Either he's going the zombie route, or Satan's going to get super mad at you and start sending demons your way
>>
File: Random Encounter.jpg (101 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Random Encounter.jpg
101 KB, 400x400
>>44293363
>"I wish that all who have died would be revived"

You damned fool.
>>
>>44293363
Even if the deity is NICE and only revives sapients rather than every single animal, you still have multiplied the world's current population by hundred times.
And a ton of those were allmighty wizards and shit. Including bugfuck evil guys.

So yeah. You are in for a problem.
>>
You are about to be over run with demons, devils, dead empires and dinosaurs.
>>
>>44293363
>I wish all who have died would be revived

Fuck. Couldn't you have worded this a little better? I assume some war or shenanigans involving some evil guy just ended that left a lot of people dead. Why not make it specify to only bring back those who were killed just then? I can only see this going horribly bad for you.

At the same time it sounds like it'll be fun too.
>>
You playing 3.5 or any form of dnd?

If so, I would drop half a dozen Marut on you in the first hour.

If you happen to to kill them, the next hour gets you a dozen with class levels.

Shit just amps up from there.
>>
Didn't L5R have something like this happen? I remember armies of revived soldiers coming back to try and reclaim their old holdings.
>>
>>44293363
You know I've never actually GMd for a group of exclusively downsyndrome players. Seems pretty fun to me.
>>
Great heroes and great evils have been reborn. Ancient armies rise again on the warpath.

Or zombies. Billions of human zombies. Trillions of animal and insect zombies. And if you want to be super particular about the meaning of "all" then every fungus and bacteria and other microbes that have ever lived are now alive.

In short, there will be the most grand and epic cluster fuck for a while as all things that have ever lived compete for their own niche
>>
File: minus119.jpg (385 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
minus119.jpg
385 KB, 900x1200
>>44293363
>>
>>44293363
>they wake up in their coffins
>they promptly asphyxiate
>>
File: yeah, no, time to go.gif (760 KB, 259x214) Image search: [Google]
yeah, no, time to go.gif
760 KB, 259x214
>>44293363
>making a wish this monumentally stupidly-phrased
Have fun with your worldwide zombie apocalypse.
>>
>>44296238
Mechanus does not work that fast.
The creation of each successive generation of inevitable in the creche-forges takes 2d4 months.
>>
>>44296858
Zombies are still dead right? People should be coming back to life everywhere. That should cause enough problems on it's own.
>>
>>44296888
>countries are beset by armies of their tyrannical and barbarous forebears
>heroes and villains long dead wake up to resume their epic struggles
>ancient evils long since dealt with rise again with their cults in tow
>all those guys who you killed in your murderhobo adventures walk the earth again, now with fresh ideas on how to fuck you and your party over
This is the dumbest fucking wish, holy shit.
>>
>>44293363

Has there been a Titanomachy or equivalent in the cosmology?

Was the temple rededicated?

I'd be tempted to have a dead god, and his dead priesthood knocking on the front door and asking what the FUCK you lot have done with their temple.
>>
>>44293363
This raises a lot of questions. In the real world dead things eventually decompose into dirt. Does this happen in your setting? If it does what happens to people who have been dead long enough to completely decompose? Do they get new bodies? Does the stuff that used to be their bodies coalesce and undecompse? Decomposing corpses enrich the soil with vitamins and mineral. Plants then consume these vitamins and minerals, and people or animals eat the plants. What if the vitamins and minerals that used to be part of one person are now part of another person or animal or plant? This wish could easily have killed every living thing on the planet and also destroyed the planet. I know everyone has said this already, but this was a spectacularly terrible wish.
>>
>>44293363
>I wish that all who have died would be revived

yes this is a good idea
>>
>>44297482
Even if everyone magically gets new bodies the overpopulation alone will wreck the ecosystem.
>>
>>44296496
Kek
>>
>>44293363
Did you fuck up the wording of the wish on purpose to make it interesting or are you legitimately retarded?
>>
>>44293363
Plot twist: the god's all like "I knew what you meant, I'm omnipotent not a moron! Just the people you meant are revived and I sent them all home with a hamper and a note to explain." And you guys are all like
"Carlos!" And laugh and the credits roll on a freeze frame.
>>
>>44293363
Your campaign setting is transformed into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverworld
>>
>>44293363
Jesus fuck, your whole table must be downy as fuck. You guys for thinking of it and your GM for not thinking of a way to stop this.
You dun goofed, you dun goofed real fucken hard.
Hope you didn't like your characters to much.
>>
>>44298816
>GM for not thinking of a way to stop this
I think that's why he stopped the session there, to sort out what the fuck is going to happen next.

If you ask me, I'd just have the omnipotent being tell the PC why his wish is retarded and would bring about the end of the world or whatever horrifying unforeseen consequence, then ask him in-character if he's really sure he wants to make such a stupid wish. I mean, if you like someone enough to grant his wish, you'd at least want to try and keep him from accidentally fucking himself over with it.

Alternately, the campaign could switch to being Dark Souls. Players get free respawns, enemies also respawn when PCs die, and everything immediately goes to shit.
>>
>>44295976
Actually, this seems like a pretty cool direction to go. Can you imagine if every person that ever lived, great and small, were resurrected? You've brought all of world history into the present.
>>
>>44299132
And then immediately killed all of it again, see >>44296695
>>
Well it didn't help that the person who made the wish in-character was kind of mourning the loss of his entire town being destroyed. Also we tried to change the wording of the wish, but the GM is one of those "no recton"GM's.
>>
The Queen of the Unseelie Fae offered a boon to my party members; up until this point she's been the primary antagonist of the campaign.

One of the party asked for her brother to be brought back to life.

Sadly the somewhat insane Queen is rather... imprecise with her magics.

Skeletons, skeletons everywhere, as far as the eye can see. Because it's easier to resurrect everyone rather than find one individual person.
>>
>>44299140
>And then immediately killed all of it again
Bringing someone back to life pretty much always involves moving them somewhere they won't instantly die again. If I wished to bring my dead wife back to life, she'd appear before me. Her corpse wouldn't momentarily gain consciousness in her grave before expiring again.

Though it would be a bitch to feed and shelter all these people, even if they were brought back properly. It doesn't help that most off them wouldn't have anything to exchange for basic services.
>>
>>44293363

If every sapient being was suddenly once again alive, the world's ressources would simple be insufficient for them.

I mean, imagine the population of nowaday suddendly increasing by 10.

This wouldn't even be a fraction of the number of people this wish brought back. Especially since in fantasy worlds there is towns of ancient empires way more mighty than those of RL and beings who have tons of kids.
>>
>>44299162
Don't blame this on your character. This is 100% your fuck up.
>>
>>44293363
I really hope you've got a lot of language scholars handy, because this is Babal-tier.
>>
>>44293363

If I were GMing, the first thing I would think to myself is that no omnipotent being would grant this request. The world would have collapsed ages go if the first jackass adventurers with the capability to make such a wish could have fucked it that badly. So either the wish cannot be granted, or the wish will not be granted, in the literal term of simply reviving everyone immediately.

From a point of view of a deity, this is a 'tried to steal fire from the gods' sort of deal, a sort of ultimate blasphemy. Of such a scale that the powers that be decide that the mortal realm as a whole deserves to be punished in some horrible and poetic fashion. Fixing this becomes the main focus of the campaign for a long, long time.
>>
>>44299999
Quints speak truth.
>>
>>44299239
A lot of people would die, yeah. But what a random hodgepodge of people you would have once the dust started to settle.

Holy shit, this is the backstory for a kitchen sink fantasy wold.
>>
>>44293363
Welcome to the zombie apocalypse, friend.
>>
>>44293363
i think this >>44293406 is what your DM did to your party. and yes, like >>44299239 said

>Bringing someone back to life pretty much SHOULD always involve moving them somewhere they won't instantly die again

you should use this argument with your DM the next session, cus bringing everything back and kill it all again was a dick move IMO

this wish needs a lot of thinking from both the players and the DM

however, there is a nother thing i was thinking that i havent seen mentioned here, IF he did brought everyone/everything back to life, well, yeah, no food for everyone and everything dies again BUT would the planet itself be able to sustain the global weight of so many living beings at the same time? even for a few minutes/hours?

plus - would there be enough space in the world for every living thing to exists without struggle for occupy the same space?

PLUS - PLUS
IF he did brought everyone/everything back to life, that means that a fuck ton of outsiders that died in the material plane, good, evil, neutral and everything else are back as well - just imagine the chaos that would bring on every plane of existance in that setting, oh my god that would be an awesome campaing to play
>>
>>44298525
This would have happened if I were the GM. It's a benevolent god, not an impish genie.
>>
>>44301770
Chances are that it wouldn't outright destroy the planet in most fantasy lands. Populations are probably not very dense. Shortages of every resource imaginable will cause problems though.

I would totally roll with this.
>>
>>44301770
So OP's dumbass wish accidentally caused the largest clusterfuck in all recorded and unrecorded history that'll cause the setting to become better than it was before?
>>
>>44296880
Are you implying they wouldnt go into overdrive when someone brings all things that have died on specific plane?

You would be lucky if didnt send everything they have on hand, then start reaching into finished timelines for the ones who have completed their missions.
>>
>>44302574
are you taking into account the weight of animals? i read/heard somewhere that all the ants in the world teoricaly weigh the same as all humans do, so, if this is true, that would increase the weight the planet has to sustain, plus animals, plus dead whales and fish would make water flood the coasts, hordes of good and evil dragons everywhere, the tarrasque wouldnt know what to do with so much food

>>44302734
yes, it just escalates. realizing the terrible mistake they just made, the wizard teleports them to another plane of existence and they have to rebuild the planet again, making deals with other gods and stuff - im just saying everything can be fixed while not dooming the players and making them feel bad, is just another adventure... a really big adventure, lol
>>
>>44303141
I don't know if animals are included in the Wish.
>>
You done fucked up now.
>>
>>44306020
well he said
>I wish that all who have died would be revived

so, it leaves the door open to both include animals and exclude them, depending on how the god interpretes - all who - i guess

either way they we are 90% sure they lost their wish, wich makes me thing it was a dick move from their DM like i said above. the other 10% percent could mean that the
>the ground and temple shaking heavily, then silence again
was just a visual effect from the wish becoming true and their beloved ones are now in their homes alive and happy
>>
>>44306632
also it's highly possible that the ground shook because every dead deity, demi-diety and all other supernatural beings that existed form the beginning of time are now alive....

some ancient order of paladins are now buttmad because they lost untold number for brother/sister in 300 years to slay a specific daemon and now the bastard is alive
>>
>>44306771
Well, they also got back all the paladins they lost. Whoever finally succeeded can tell everyone what they were doing wrong all that time, then go kill it again with the whole order.
>>
>>44306771
holy fuck! you are right! lol

that party might be in some serious trouble

>>44307103
the demons might as well learn from their mistakes, everything is wrecked now!
>>
>>44293363
Surprise twist ending. Reincarnation exists in OP's setting, so the omnipotent being did nothing. The terra firma turbulence was just an angry god ripping a fart to show his disdain for time wasters.

Alternatively, reincarnation did not exist, but the omnipotent being rewrote the laws of the universe to make it exist.
>>
So, uh... I didn't read the whole thread, but all these people talking about the planet being crowded with alive-again beings doesn't make sense, because their physical bodies have been altered into the building blocks of other beings' physical bodies. That corn you ate used to be a deer, etc.

Does this wish also provide additional matter to help rebuild all these deceased things?
>>
>>44308569
I don't know. The GM is being awfully quiet about the issue over Skype.
>>
File: 1442821506412.jpg (30 KB, 450x297) Image search: [Google]
1442821506412.jpg
30 KB, 450x297
>>44293363
Zombie apocalypse, massI've overpopulation and starvation or >>44293406
Yeah that.
>>
>>44293363
>"I wish that all who have died would be revived"

Let's see, "who" implies personhood, so it is quite valid to interpret it as only resurrecting sapient beings.

No one has proposed a "best case scenario" yet; what if the wish granter does like Robin Williams and interprets the wish in the most generous way possible while staying true to the letter of the wish? The world could be expanded to accommodate all these resurrected people, or new worlds spontaneously created for them depending on the cosmology. The fact that the being is explicitly omnipotent leaves a lot of possibilities open.

>>44308569
>Does this wish also provide additional matter to help rebuild all these deceased things?

I believe that's the only way to interpret it that makes sense; it seems to me there would be too many bits of matter that "belong" to multiple dead beings otherwise.
>>
>>44297042
Really?
Having a campaign where its nothing, but fixing all those problems seems pretty fun.
>>
>>44310558

>I believe that's the only way to interpret it that makes sense; it seems to me there would be too many bits of matter that "belong" to multiple dead beings otherwise.

But imagine this. Instead of making new matter for every old dead being, they just take what used to belong to those beings and magically force them together into insanely terrifying beasts like those out of Lovecraft. A very, very, very, very select few are left untouched, but the world fucking collapses under the weight of all the fuck-beasts.

And now the PCs have to fix their fuckup.
>>
>>44293363
>all

You are literally retarded.
>>
>>44293363
>omnipotent being
well theres your problem
>>
File: downy.jpg (519 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
downy.jpg
519 KB, 1600x1600
>>44312319
You could even say they have Down's.
>>
>>44299206
ok now thats funny

im not sure i aprove of such a powerful character but if she was the bbeg she must have limits so its probably not to bad
>>
>>44310558
>so it is quite valid to interpret it as only resurrecting sapient beings
>LOOKS LIKE HUMAN IS BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS
>>
>>44314038
I SMELL MAN-FLESH
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.