[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Normal shit that's rare in storytelling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 12
File: 1413759321290.png (67 KB, 332x300) Image search: [Google]
1413759321290.png
67 KB, 332x300
>The chivalrous knight always guards the princess, would lay down his life for her safety and comforts her in her hour of need
>Neither of them have romantic feelings for eachother
>In fact, both are already happily married
>>
>Clergy that isn't corrupt and actually wants what's best for the common man
>>
>>44284794
>>Neither of them have romantic feelings for eachother
>>In fact, both are already happily married
I love these old memes, they're very funny.
>>
>the king and his court are full of reasonable people and there is no backstabbing going around
>>
>>44284794
>nothing happens
>>
>>44284794
While perfectly acceptable, the development of romance adds another layer to the characters. It gives the knight a much greater desire to protect her and can lead to a greater investment/immersion in said characters.

And for myself at least, I'm a complete sucker for the knight/princess trope.
>>
>>44284908
What was the exact point people stopped using the word "joke" and started using "meme" instead, I wonder?
>>
>>44284794
Going to the bathroom usually.
>>
>>44284794
>what is a retainer?

The dude's just being an outstanding retainer, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>44285006
>The dude's just being an outstanding retainer
That's the joke: it's an extremely common and normal thing that's rarely emphasized in fantasy stories and games. The retainer falling in love with his lady, a historical exception, has become the rule in fiction.
>>
>>44284976
When autism reached its pinnacle and became widespread and weaponized.
>>
>>44284947
Personally, one variation I'd like to see is that the knight is an adult, and the princess is a younger girl (maybe early teens or so), and the knight is driven to protect her not out of romantic desire, but more of a paternal drive by seeing her as something of a daughter figure.
>>
>>44284794
Knights just doing their job without any sort of romantic relationship are the best.
>>
>>44284794
The bomb squad, having identified the hazard, set up a cordon and send in a robot to detonate the device safely.
>>
>>44285106
>and the knight is driven to protect her not out of romantic desire, but more of a paternal drive
Or, you know, just a sense of duty? Personal connection isn't the only driving factor for protectors, a proper knight does it simply because it needs to be done.
>>
>>44285146
>without any sort of romantic relationship
he's clearly checking her out
>>
>>44285184
>implying he's not just in deep thought as to why peasants are so goddamned ungrateful

That or he's having a PTSD flash back to the last battle fought where in a great hail of arrows hit him and his unit. He was the only one who raised his shield in time. All his comrades died in the volley. Their screams still roar in his ears. The blood still leaves stains on his armor no matter how much he polishes. Though the servants say it shines brighter than the sun. He can only see crimson streaks and hand prints of the men he failed.
>>
File: apocalypse non non.jpg (257 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
apocalypse non non.jpg
257 KB, 1152x720
>>44285246
>>
>>44285156
That's before character development.
>>
>>44285184
He's just being a gentleman and shielding her from the judging gazes of the unwashed peasants.
So he can have her tits all to himself
Back on topic:
>The blacksmith forges horseshoes and frying pans when he's not working on swords, assuming he makes swords at all
>>
>>44284976
The "marriage is where love goes to die" thing is more of a meme than a joke. It's a joke when someone actually makes a joke about it. The post was the joke, by drawing attention to the inadvertently referenced meme in the OP. Memes themselves aren't jokes, but they can be used as the topic of a joke.

Meme-litists are a blight on humanity.
>>
>>44284794

>>The character whose morals are a very fuzzy shade of grey
>>Something forces the good guys to make a deal with him
>>He doesn't betray or shortchange them just for kicks, because that's bad for business.
>>
>>44285000
This. Hygene in general.
> massive battle
> orks slaughtered
> blood and guts everywhere
> everybody goes to the inn to celebrate
> nobody changes out of armor or even just wipes off blood
>>
> the inn keeper who doesn't have a Scottish/Irish/Australian accent doesn't only serve ale
>>
>a town guard that operates like proper law enforcement officials and don't have something either corrupt or shitty about them
>>
>>44284794
The joys of taking a massive dump
>>
>>44286056
>Instead she has a French accent and serves various kinds of wine
>>
>>44285414
That's not a "meme", dipshit.
>>
>>44285414

the knight and the princess of the OP are happily married, but not to each others. That's the point. No one is talking about a loveless marriage.

>Meme-litists are a blight on humanity.

Humanity always used meme, it's just that with the internet, the pattern becomes more noticeable.
>>
>>44284794
>The nobles who have spent their whole lives studying war are more competent at strategy than some random guy.
>>
>>44285000
What? My character takes dumps regularly and will complain when there is nowhere to take a dump properly.
He takes his shit seriously.
>>
>>44284931
underrated
>>
File: luka.jpg (141 KB, 446x508) Image search: [Google]
luka.jpg
141 KB, 446x508
>>44285757
That's my Ranger in our current campaign...except all the "good" characters in our party have completely lost their moral compass and despite being true neutral, I'm the least murder-hobo in the group, which now includes a paladin that accidentally summoned a demon, tortures people brutally and is in the process of toppling the sociopolitical stability of Neverwinter
>>
>>44284947
The trouble is that the muh romance crowd has completely destroyed the muh duty crowd.
It can't be enough for a character to to have a code anymore.
>>
>Kobolds are dangerous, non-cuddly, not clever obstacle for new adventurers
>>
>>44287488
Are you kidding me? That's literally the standard for fantasy.
>>
>>44284908
He means both individuals are married to their own lovers, not in a loveless marriage together, bro.
>>
>>44287396
>muh duty crowd.
This kind of story always make me warm and fuzzy on the inside. Sadly it's rare to find these days.
>>
I'm playing a chivalrous knight in a pathfinder session. We have just redeemed an innocent waifu from necromancy, and we move to save a kidnapped princess. I sleep in harem with the waifu and other party members, completely naked.

My character is gay. He detests the womanly form, and routinely saves the waifu from our group's rapist. It's a fun game.
>>
File: haram.jpg (30 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
haram.jpg
30 KB, 531x471
>>44287817
>My character is gay
>>
File: 1448452459341.gif (212 KB, 525x525) Image search: [Google]
1448452459341.gif
212 KB, 525x525
>>44287396
>reading fantasy book
>it's okay, plot is picking up
>here we go
>author decides to shoehorn a romance that doesn't make sense whatshowever and the plot is nowhere to be seen
>>
File: he's right.jpg (73 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
he's right.jpg
73 KB, 800x598
>>44287900

I have no idea what book this is and it pisses me off
>>
>>44284794
>The bad guys are selfish/cruel/greedy/powerhungry. They are successful at this, otherwise they would have stopped doing it long ago.
>They aren't sad, misunderstood, do things because of their wretched childhood. They just want more out of life, and don't care who they have to hurt for it.
>>
>>44284794
>Dwarves and Elves have mighty civilizations.
Is it just me or this is getting more rare?
>>
File: elf blasting.jpg (136 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
elf blasting.jpg
136 KB, 1024x768
>>44288602
A bit, but usually its just the civilization is in decline, rather than never existing. Ironically, this was done in order to try make things seem different, but honestly I liked it when the elves were being arrogant assholes and wrong about it. Now they are always in the right because "muh nature"
>>
File: elves.png (954 KB, 1140x660) Image search: [Google]
elves.png
954 KB, 1140x660
>>44288716
I, for one, like my elves as being superior to humans in one way or another. Either in a societal, intellectual, and advanced way like High Elves; or in a more evolutionary, predatory, agile way like Wood Elves.
>>
>>44288758
Meh, I don't like my elves being too different from my humans. It's also why I don't like D&Ds 700 year lifespan, it makes humans look too insignificant by comparison. I usually DM fiat it to about 150 years: significantly longer lived than humans, but still short enough to have roughly the same perception of time as humans.
>>
>>44288758
Aren't we humans supposed to destroy elves not by being better than them but by simply overrunning them with numbers and destroy their habitat?
>>
>>44285151
B-but, muh hero fantasy!
>>
>>44284893
>Clergy that isn't corrupt
>normal shit

I know you're a contrarian, but come on dude. The church has been hilariously corrupt since the middle ages.
>>
I dont really know how to phrase this but it seems to be a common thing.
> theres a guy who is portrayed as being a cunt, and he might be.
> the 'hero' wants to go save someone despite that person being surrounded by zombies/bad guys/ obvious trap.
> the cunt says fuck that he/she is dead lets just leave
> oh no your just a cunt lets go
> plan goes tits up
> the cunt dies
Being clever doesnt make you evil.
>>
>>44288813
>depends on the setting

But in actuality, in a setting I was working on a while ago, the High Elves had essentially kept man in check by not allowing them to have magic by the grace of "Secret Police" that went around stomping on any humans that showed any affinity for it.

And to continue the topic:
>An antagonist that isn't evil by their very nature (A normal king who wishes to expand his kingdom rather than a necromancer or demon of some kind)
>>
>>44284794
>the protagonist isn't boning the healer
>>
>>44288901
Doesn't really matter if we can't use magic when we will just outbreed them to death.
>>
>>44288847
There was and is the occasional devout person, even of overall it was corrupt.
>>
>The 'heroes' torture, kill, and imprison their foes
>>
>>44288716
> civilization is in decline
Why is shit in fantasy always on the decline or stasis? Where is the fucking "technology and society is progressing" fantasy. It's not like the growing pains of those things can't be interesting.
>>
>>44287817
>Group's rapist
Carry on then,
>>
>>44288999
It's because of the roots of modern fantasy. For most of human history, mythologies depicted a time before the present with gods and heroes, that things got more stable over time. When Tolkien wrote the Lord of the Rings, he wrote it taking place long after the great events had happened. The events of the books are relatively minor compared to the shit that went down centuries prior, and there is a theme of things coming to an end. Now, as literally every fantasy element has to be ripping him off, as seen by the fact that the elves live long and have an ancient civilization in every setting ever, everyone has to rip this theme off as well. But it is actually a very good theme. It adds mystery to the backstory, and lets the power levels be toned down while letting some epic things happen or at least be mentioned.
>>
>>44287013
I hear you. I had a somewhat similar experience. I made a paladin and my party was shocked I didn't go all deus vult on everything. They were further surprised when I calmly didn't approve of lying to an npc.
>>
>>44287488
Kobolds should be evil, cruel and cunning, yet weak. GOBLINS should be dumb though. I always like to think of kobolds as clever, as they have a reputation for traps and strategy, whereas goblins will literally go around lighting random crap on fire instead of helping the other goblins fight the adventurers.
>>
>>44288847
*sigh*

This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>44289238
>*action*
>>
>>44288847
Just because the Cardinals are selling indulgences and the priest three towns over got caught diddling the baker's son doesn't mean your priest can't honestly believe in what he's doing.
>>
(Fantasy Setting) The vampires are normal, middle class people who get their nourishment from blood banks.
>>
>>44288901
>Secret elf genocide of human magic users.

Reninds me of what the Wood Elves were doing in Brettonia in Warhammer.

Setting up one of their own as "The Lady of the Lake" and convincing the pseudo-frogs to give her their magically gifted children to "raise in Avalon."

And their dogs went to a nice farm....
>>
>>44289056
Ivan Ivanovich Ivanovsky, the slav cleric dwarf who worships a mad god

Before trying the rape the waifu he put her to sleep and tried to kill her with Aboleth's Lung. Last session we stopped just after he got friendly with a crazy conspiritard and attempted to run off with him to kill the king who employed us. Everyone should have a group rapist, it's good fun.
>>
>>44289431
Whats his kill to rape ratio?
>>
>>44288999
I agree!

I've been working on a fantasy setting where the technology level is just getting ready to turn over to a kinda industrial revelation era tech.
Magic and technology are becoming a weird mix to the point where the Military of the major nation has entire division of Golem Troops
>>
>>44289431
>dwarf rapist
Man, Dwarf Fortress has killed my capacity to think of dwarves as sexual creatures.
>>
>>44289468
?:0, excluding countless women in the homelands. We were trying to liberate some slaves last session, no doubt that ratio will soon go up.
>>
>>44289616
So.
Liberate the slaves...
To rape them?
>>
>>44289294
>implying donating to the church isn't a good deed
>>
>>44289644
> Thank you for freeing us noble sirs!
> dont go thanking me just yet young maiden.
>>
>>44288999
*cough*Discworld*cough*
>>
>>44289647
Depends on what the church is actually using that money for.
>>
>>44289668

"Tell me what happened."
"W-well... we were slaves to the Noble House Banthes... It wasn't a great life. But, we were taken care of. And then one day, this group of... people show up. And they liberate us. They kill the whole House and set us free."
"And then?"
"The dwarf. He... oh god the thing he did to the woman."
"I'm so sorry."
"It's... it's strange. Afterward, they all gave us some gold and sent us on our way."
>>
File: 8zTW6qk.jpg (434 KB, 1280x1556) Image search: [Google]
8zTW6qk.jpg
434 KB, 1280x1556
>>44289644
Without our help, they'll probably be mind raped and assimilated into crystallized monsters. Better real rape than mind rape eh?
>>
>>44289759
Depends on how violent you are, I guess.

Thinking on it, if I were the DM, I'd make them roll some sort of Will Save vs. Stockholm Syndrome.
>>
>>44285321
>>The blacksmith forges horseshoes and frying pans when he's not working on swords, assuming he makes swords at all

This happens every day in WFRP. In fact, "Smithing" and "Weaponsmithing" are two different skills.

Although they work off of Strength, so my Ogre is a better smith than any dwarf...
>>
>>44288999
>>
>>44289970
That's pretty neat, tripfag.
>>
>>44285246
First off, what a pussy.
Second, arrows can't pierce plate.
Third, he didn't fail them if THEY DIDN'T RAISE THEIR SHIELDS IN TIME.
>>
>>44290323
>arrows can't pierce plate

Bodkin arrows can if they are fired close enough.
>>
>>44290323
>arrows can't pierce plate
>implying
not to mention that in a fantasy setting that kind of logic flies out the window
>>
>the empire isn't cartoonishly evil
>the city guard has some level of competence
>merchants that don't want to backstab you for some coin
>the farmboy decides not to listen to the crazy old man telling him to go on an adventure
>dysentery

>>44288999
You see it from time to time, but it's noticably rare. Some settings have a "technology is progressing but magic is weakening" thing.
Arcanum has fantasy and technology.

Besides, there's some logic to it. Mythology often views the world as ultimately declining, so that it can be reborn, and it's common for mythology to view earlier ages as more mythical and "magical", but also a lot more chaotic.
Plus, and this is kind of a sidenote, the modern notion of progress is really just that, modern. Before knowledge started to pile up fast, and people experienced significant, tangible change in their lives, people didn't have the same idea about change that we do. If you live today, you have seen the world changing very much in just a few decades. If you were a common man, a farmer, somewhere in Europe around 1200, you would probably mostly live life the same way your father would, and your children would live it mostly the same way you did. Change, technological change that is, is a very minor part of your view of the world.
This might be the reason futuristic works was, to my knowledge, pretty uncommon in ancient times. The only thing you have is usually utopian or political writing, but anything like "science fiction" hardly exists.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.