[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is DnD so obsessed with alignment anyways? It serves no purpose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1414874402611.png (810 KB, 896x726) Image search: [Google]
1414874402611.png
810 KB, 896x726
Why is DnD so obsessed with alignment anyways? It serves no purpose besides interacting with a few abilities and spells here and there.
>>
It's just a big sham that serves to filter out That Guys before you start playing.
>>
>>44267537
My take on it is that DnD is in it's very nature a game about classic fantasy tropes and clichees.
Alignments are simply a way to shoehorn a characters personality into a clichee for simple reference. How much you care for it is you thing, as you said most of the rules don't care for it at all, except you are one of those masochist that wants to play a 3.PF Paladin and the associated minigame of your GM getting you to fall. Which in and off itself is just another clichee.
>>
>>44267651
This. It may have served more of a purpose in earlier editions but now it's simply an RP aid for those who might need it. If you're not sure how your character is supposed to act morally just go off of their alignment.
>>
>>44267537
D&D stopped being obsessed with alignments two editions ago.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are stuck in 3.x mentality and cannot conceive anything different.
>>
LISA YOU'RE TEARING ME APART
>>
>>44267537
Game system can't be obsessed by anything, its players can.

Also, this:
>>44268839
>>
File: Emprah.png (566 KB, 486x602) Image search: [Google]
Emprah.png
566 KB, 486x602
>>44267537
Would the Emprah be Lawful Good?
>>
>>44271887
Neutral Corpse
>>
No idea. I've used different alignments for a split personality on a character before. Will save in different situations to see if the evil personality takes over. Came about after a weird encounter with a beholder, triggered partial insanity. Comes in handy for torture to get information, and also really good for intimidation. Bad for diplomacy though.
>>
>>44268927
OH HAI DOGGIE
>>
>>44267537
D&D 5e actually has much less emphasis on alignment compared to previous editions, which was really nice to see. Each one has a couple sentences of description and that's it, compared to the multiple paragraphs they had before.

I can't even think of any spells in 5e that interact with alignment anymore either. The stuff that used to now affects only supernatural entities like fiends, fey, undead, and celestials.

It's pretty nice. It's strictly a tool for roleplaying and is pretty vague and open-ended in 5e.
>>
In the fantasy literature that inspired D&D, Chaos and Order are important elements of the universe.

Seriously go read some Moorcock.
>>
>>44273088
>Seriously go read some Moorcock.
Or better, go play Stormbringer.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.