[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you want your armor crafted from corundum, or diamonds, /tg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: corundum-crystals.jpg (20 KB, 380x223) Image search: [Google]
corundum-crystals.jpg
20 KB, 380x223
Do you want your armor crafted from corundum, or diamonds, /tg/?
>>
>>44266698
Ruby sounds neat. Why not?
>>
>>44266698
that would be shit armor either way
can I just get steel or something?
>>
>>44266739
Sure, if you want to be sodomized by the magnet-wizard.
>>
>>44266698
Diamonds, so I can sell it & get something better
>>
File: your ass is grass.png (215 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
your ass is grass.png
215 KB, 500x500
>all these dorks dissing conundrum/diamond armor as shit
enjoy your shitty steel you memes
>>
>>44266698
I initialy read that as armor crafted from conundrum, and was imagining bureaucratic blacksmiths stamping problems until they forged the perfect breastplate.

>>44266767
Non-magnetic metals like titanium, adamantium or mithril, in that case.
>>
>>44266767
I'll superheat my armor to above its curie temperature.
That should prevent any magnetism if I am correct in understanding.
It will of course be about 700 °C but who cares about that.

Of course I may be wrong and that just eliminates an objects permanent magnetic properties.
>>
>>44266698
Corundum. Diamond burns if you get it hot enough, makes for a problem if you're dealing with energy weapons. Corundum's much less reactive, means it can take more heat. It's not quite as good against physical impacts, but I'm willing to make the trade-off.
>>
>>44266698
>Implying anybody picks something other than Diamond.
It's the strongest metal, why wouldn't you choose it?
>>
>>44266739

>wanting the jet fuel wizard to make you his bitch
>>
>>44267064
Besides the fact that diamond can burn, both materials are not cut out for a permanent suit of armor.
While very hard to the point where it doesn't really matter which one you pick, both are also very brittle and will shatter easily under a powerful blow.
So most sharp weapons will be unable to cut, but impact weapons will have a good chance to break the armor into a bunch of overpriced shiny rubble.
If used in combination with an underlying layer (a sturdy Metal should do the job) to prevent any shards injuring the wearer, it can offer great protection (but might be really heavy as well).
The actual downside is durability. Sure, swords will do almost nothing, but weapons made to deliver more concentrated force such as maces and hammers (as well as most projectiles, cavalry polearms and maybe even mordhau-technique with a sword) will be able to break and shatter the armor.
This will surely absorb a lot of energy, but after sufficiently destroying it, that armor will simply fall apart.
Modern Ballistic vests function similiar, with shattering ceramic plates and Kevlar absorbing as much energy as possible to reduce the effect of a bullet and prevent penetration.
I would say you shouldn't make a solid plate out of it, as it will be destroyed anyway and almost impossible to repair (as well as extremely costly).
Using leather and/or metal as a foundation though and plastering it pieces of the material in question might work, effectively making it scalemail that is slightly more resisatant to cutting attacks.
It just doesn't help that much for what it will cost.
I'm no expert in such things, but that's my reasoning behind this.
>>
>>44267076
Came to post this. Everyone knows diamonds are the strongest metal known the man.
>>
>>44266698
Fucking Diamonds.
Sell that shit in one last adventure, then retire forever.
>>
>>44267692
Well, it's useless, looks very good, crazy expensive and everyone will see I'm richer than them.
I'll buy it.
>>
File: chobham.gif (18 KB, 317x256) Image search: [Google]
chobham.gif
18 KB, 317x256
Can i use composite materials like Chobam to craft my full plate? Also i'd want some ERA bricks on it, just to make sure those pesky High Explosive Anti-Tank Pikes don't get through.
>>
>>44268148
Made from sapphires? Sure!
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.