[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Game General /bgg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 13
File: Board Game General.jpg (62 KB, 432x590) Image search: [Google]
Board Game General.jpg
62 KB, 432x590
Welcome to the board game general! /bgg/

Resources: http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

It's the holidays so let's talk about fat people with facial hair.

>Are you getting your fellow fat people stuff for Christmas?

>Planning to get the family/bearded friends into some games? If so, what are you taking to your gatherings?

>How drunk will your weird uncle get this time?
>>
>>44265560
If I had the money, then I would buy my friend - which I totally got obsessed with games by total accident - the last army he's missing from Neuroshima Hex - the Steel Police.
>>
>>44265560
Getting my dad and grandma Sheriff of Nottingham and Sushi Go. They had a blast with those when I finally managed to convince them to play.
>>
File: NONONONONO.gif (6 MB, 477x266) Image search: [Google]
NONONONONO.gif
6 MB, 477x266
>Was wanting to get Thunderstone Advance stuff for my brother since he loves it
>It's out of print, hard to find
>mrw looking at prices on amazon/ebay/bgg
>Consider gifting him my collection
>Would take me several hundred dollars to replace what I would give him based off current prices
>>
>>44265560
A friend of mine might be getting me 2 more boxes of EPIC that I desire. As for me, like every year end I just got unlucky and am dirt poor.
>>
Anybody is planning to run a online game for new year's eve?
CET hours?
>>
Nope!
>Planning to get the family/bearded friends into some games? If so, what are you taking to your gatherings?
Might bring Gemblo and Love Letter along
I don't know, I haven't seen him in about five years.
>>
>>44265560
No, dont know any people that are passionate about boardgames. Im only pressuring them into playing with me.
My family's been really enjoying Pandemic. I hope that sparks their desire to play other games, too.
He wont, since my weird uncle is a real wimp.

I'm really looking forward to having some free time around Christmas. Bought Castles of Burgundy and RftG is still being delivered. Hope it arrives before Christmas.
>>
I got my grandparents Sheriff of Nottingham and my father Sylvion. Gave it to them last night because I won't see them again until next year.

Dad played Sylvion solitaire last night and seemed to like it even though it kicked his ass. They haven't played it yet because it was late when they opened it, so they went straight to bed, but they both seemed into it, especially my grandfather.

I got board games for my sister and her boyfriend, my other sister, my mother and stepfather, and my three best friends as well.

Friends have opened their gifts already because I mailed them due to distance.

>got one friend Sheriff of Nottingham
>she loves it

>got two friends who are a couple Android: Netrunner
>they seem to really enjoy it

So far, it's going pretty well.

>tfw everyone you hang out with at least likes light games
>>
Life bump
>>
>tfw Corto is still $60 on amazon.com, after shipping and import fees
>tfw there's only one left from Amazon
Maybe next year...
>>
>>44272907
>Corto
https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/browse?objecttype=thing&objectid=148231

Quite a few on BGG at fine prices.
>>
Picked up Runebound 3rd edition the other day.

It's basically Skyrim: The Board Game, in a very good way. A very good way. Open world, run around doing quests killing monsters acquiring loot and leveling up style game. There's an overarching campaign that plays out as you run around murderhoboing and eventually a final boss shows up and whoever kills that boss wins. And the combat system is downright excellent; I bought it expecting dice chucking on top of a solid adventure game, but this combat is so good they could repackage it into its own game and I'd totally buy it.

Runebound: definitely great.
>>
>>44273133
I live in Britbongistan, so either I pay absurd shipping costs from the US, or I cave in to price gougers in mainland Europe; there are some little plastic busts of Corto and Rasputin that come with the game, so they pretty much have to charge high shipping, thanks to the people in charge of international shipping fees going ful retard.

I was counting on amazon.com to lower the price in the run-up to Christmas so I could screw them over on their standardised shipping, but they're too clever for that. Everyone who was selling it for a reasonable price in my country sold out months ago, so my only hope is for somebody in the UK to sell a second-hand copy for less than £30, or maybe a reprint minus the mini-busts.
>>
I only recently started playing board games. My friends enjoy playing Avalon, Coup, and Settlers of Catan (to a lesser extent.) They say that they're not really into board games, which is why we mainly play things like coup and avalon. What games do you think I could get them into?

I thought lords of the waterdeep looked interesting, but I doubt I'd find anyone who'd be interested in the D&D aesthetic. I've heard good things about Dead of Winter.

Is Chaos in the Old World any good? I'm very interested in it, but again, I doubt I could get people interested.
>>
>>44273708
Since they seem to like social games take a look at getting Sheriff of Nottingham. It's light enough, has lots of player interaction, and has great art and components. Good way to get some positive tactile feel with the closing/opening of bags.

Perhaps look at getting some card games as well since they'll likely feel comfortable with them. Sushi Go is a very casual game but is quick and lots of fun, unless you have someone who despises 'cute' artwork. Love Letter is always a good pick. You could ease them into some slightly heavier games with something like Splendor, which is just a set of poker chips, a deck of cards, and a few cardboard tiles. (I carry my copy around in a deck box and a dice bag. They'll probably never even think it's a board game)

Chaos in the Old World is a pretty heavy game. Not easy to convince inexperienced people to play unless they LOVE the warhammer universe. Very good game. I would not recommend it if they are not board gamers though because if they aren't eager to get into it, they'll probably be bored/confused by it and drag the game down.
>>
>>44273886
Oh, also another thing.

If you are going to be the board game library in your group, you ABSOLUTELY MUST, let me repeat ABSOLUTELY MUST learn and master the rules before you even bring it to the table with the guys. If you have to read the rules out of the rulebooks TO people, then it will be a painful experience for everyone and likely not put things off on the right foot. Look up some videos about how to teach games to people, great advice can be found therein.

Yes it's a pain, I always play one or two games by myself playing all sides so I can get the rules down pat before it gets to the table.
>>
>>44273886
>>44273976

Thank you for the advice. I'm quite used to explaining the rules to people, so I feel I should be fine in that regard. I'm moving into junior year at university, so I'm thinking I might actually start looking around for some traditional gaming groups on campus.

Are there any other high quality board games set in the Warhammer universe, fantasy or 40k? I've heard of Relic, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.
>>
>>44274351
The conquest LCG is pretty good 40k game, but it's only 1v1. Forbidden Stars is really good too, especially as 1v1, but plays 4 players well. Space Hulk is good too.

I would warn against Relic unless you you are falling in love with the idea of it. Relic is VERY random. You roll a die and then move left or right that many spaces, draw cards randomly for events that might give you random items or spells, you might get randomly booted back to the beginning spaces, etc. Relic is almost literally Talisman with a warhammer 40k theme on top of it.
>>
>>44265560

Yup. Got my best friends mom two dominion expansions, and me and my friend got TI3 for our group.

Just got king of new york and it quickly became a smash hit with our group. I already want expansions for it.

I am the weird uncle, and extremely.
>>
>>44274351
Space Hulk: Death Angel. You can find it for $18 online if you're lucky and it's a meaty, quick, extremely bloody and brutal coop game.

You will lose. Constantly.
>>
>>44266705
The Numenara set is the easiest to find from Thunderstone Advance (I bought the last copy from Coolstuff like a week ago, sorry) so I would start with that one at least.

>>44265560
Nothing board game related, since no one I'd buy gifts for is into the hobby.
The only friends I'm confident I could get into gaming live many states away.
He gets drunk on a daily basis, regardless of what's going on.
>>
Anyone here played Mistfall, either co-op or solo? Looking around for a new game for the group (there's only 3-4 of us) but I usually like to get games that can also be played solo, as it's something I enjoy a lot especially when I can only meet up with people once a week at most. Mistfall seems to scratch that adventurers itch, but if it's just a poor mans mage knight, I'll pass.
>>
File: 1449894682726.png (285 KB, 522x679) Image search: [Google]
1449894682726.png
285 KB, 522x679
>everyone I hang out with only likes light games, but pretends to be interested in heavier stuff
Fuck you, you lying pieces of shit. You said Rex looked really cool and that we needed to definitely play it next time, LAST TIME, AND THE TIME BEFORE THAT.
>>
File: Secret Hitler roles.gif (209 KB, 679x566) Image search: [Google]
Secret Hitler roles.gif
209 KB, 679x566
Anyone here getting Secret Hitler?

I'm hoping it reaches the 1 mil stretch goal so I can get the wooden box.
>>
>>44277984
I'm thinking about trying out the print-and-play version, but I've heard that the formula quickly gets tedious, unlike some other deduction games. Some review I've read pointed that fascists knowing who's Hitler from the start kinda kills it.

On the other hand, Hitler is not revealed to the fascists, if there's 6 or more players, if I recall correctly. I kinda don't understand this duality, but I can't say anything before playing it.
>>
>am I getting my fellow fat people stuff for Christmas?
Yep. Broom Service. I just introduced it to them tonight, it went well!
>planning to get my family/bearded friends into gaming?
Not anyone who isn't already getting into it. The friends at home and I all played ccgs growing up, so they're pretty much already into it. My immediate family doesn't get it at all, and that's fine. I have an aunt and uncle who are getting into it through their friends, which is cool.
>weird uncle
I don't have one of those

>>44276874
I'm actually not in the mood for a heavy game 90% of the time. Doesn't mean I don't like them, it's just that there's usually something else I'd rather play. Recently my group has settled into a dedicated heavy game night once a week, which works for us because we all go in with the same mindset. The game is usually decided by text before we meet up so I can (theoretically) read the rules beforehand
>>
File: worstgameintheworld.jpg (328 KB, 1221x821) Image search: [Google]
worstgameintheworld.jpg
328 KB, 1221x821
Plz help. Tomorrow I need to get one of these as an xmas gift for a friend. Needs to be family accessible, smallish (physically), but also have some strategic depth to it. My list:

>Splendor
>Citadels
>Race for galaxy
>Sheriff of Nottingham
>Forbidden Desert

Don't say Resistance or Coup or Pandemic. He already has those
>>
Debating if I should get my buddy who loves dice games Dice Masters. I probably won't though because I didn't find it to be a terribly interesting game when I played it. Otherwise I have bought myself like four or five games this Christmas.

Not really. I might give my mom Jaipur as a stocking stuffer though. I could give Love Letter as a white elephant gift but I'm not 100% sure who is going to be at Christmas Eve, so I could be better suited with some other gift.

>get
He'll probably show up pissed.

What gifts we giving ourselves this year /bgg/?
>>
>>44278912
Splendor is thematically lacking but otherwise solid.

Can't comment on Citadels, frequent complaints about it here though.

Race for the Galaxy can be reeeally hard to wrap your head around initially with all its symbols. Roll for the Galaxy seems better suited for playing with family I think, throwing dice around is always fun.

Sheriff of Nottingham has the most social interaction, less strategy and more about being really convincing. Go for it if that's what you're aiming for.

Some say Forbidden Desert is harder than Forbidden Island, if they like Pandemic then Desert is probably the logical step up.

Personally I'd say Roll for the Galaxy for a euro-ish game, and Forbidden Desert for a co-op. Oh, there's also Jaipur mentioned by the next anon, which is a good 1vs1 card game, really small and you can probably just throw it in with whatever else you buy.
>>
Aight lads, I need some recommendations for background music for Eldritch Horror. Its so much easier to think of something for sci-fi or fantasy stuff, but I'm all out of ideas about this one.
>>
>>44279566
Look up dark ambient music in youtube for instant horror bgm. Also, Penderecki.
>>
I BOUGHT MY BRO MOTHERFUCKING UP FRONT NIGGAS
>>
>>44279566
There's plenty. I really wish I could find this one song an anon used during our CoC one-shot. Set me on some major chills despite it being all text. That game was what got me hooked on /tg/.

Found this, did a quick skip through and it's nice. Got a few pitch moments (I'm not fond of them, as you've got a nice rhythm going then suddenly you're scrambling for the volume) but mostly it's solid.
http://youtu.be/KLpQ_EPWtT0
>>
Why is it always the uncle that is the weird one?
>>
>>44273708
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Saboteur
Shadow Hunters
Carcassonne
>>
>>44278912
I'd go with Splendor, yes the theme is literally non-existent but aside from that and people complaining about the box being way bigger than needed, it's damn near the perfect gateway game.
>>
>>44282326
I'm thinking this too actually, even though it doesn't need to be a gateway game.

Only flaws are the huge box like you mentioned and that the gems aren't represented by little plastic gems
>>
>>44282495
No it definitely works from more advanced gamers, but because it works for both them and new players it's near perfect for gateway purposes. I actually like the poker chips since they're fun to play with, but I did replace my set with good clay chips, because the plastic bugged me.

The biggest plus the game has though is it gets played. I've been to half a dozen conventions this year from small 1000 person stuff to Gencon and I kept seeing it hit tables everywhere. And at board game clubs/nights at stores, and the dozens of hours on my phone/tablet. It might not be the sexiest game out there, but it also doesn't sit on the shelf for months between play; which honestly makes the box size not matter at all.
>>
Specter OPs vs Fury of Dracula

If you were to pick one or the other, which and why. More info is better.
>>
>>44282799
Both: All vs one hidden movement game.

Specter Ops: grid movement with line of sight, lighter on rules, sci-fi theme, variability in who the hunters and who the agent is and what they're capable of, agent(hidden guy) is the protagonist, a big part of it is the tense atmosphere as turns happen quickly, 1-2 hour playtime, 2-5 players (slightly varied rules at different player counts that include a hidden traitor at five players)

Fury of Dracula: city by city movement with a trail of clues, heavier on rules, 1900 theme, the same four hunters are always present at all player counts and Dracula is always the same, Dracula (hidden guy) is the antagonist, a big part of it is the planning and plotting done by Dracula to bring despair on the other players, 2-3 hour playtime 2/3/5 players (4 kinda)

If you are looking for a quicker lighter experience that is very easy to explain and play, pick up Specter Ops.

If you want a bigger, sprawling experience that has more direct conflicts (in Specter Ops the agent has no real way to fight back he runs and hides, in Fury, Dracula can murder the shit out of the hunters)
>>
Suggestions for party/family type games?
>>
>>44283590
Risk
>>
>>44283590
Dixit
Telestrations
Say Anything
Sheriff of Nottingham
Resistance/Avalon
Bang! Dice game.
Spyfall
>>
>>44283590
Codenames
>>
>>44282608
Very true. Ended up going with splendour because you can't go wrong with that game!

>the plastic bugged me
Autism
>>
>>44286081

That OP pic is shit, I don't know why people keep using it. You couldn't choose a worse picture that doesn't catch the eye.
>>
>>44265560

I would saw off my own left nut if /tg/ would put together a Gilbert & Sullivan cover of "Major General".

>I am the very model of an image board quite generale
>Specifically for D&D and Catan-esque doggerel!
>>
>>44283590
Ca$h & Gun$
Hamsterrolle
Gemblo
>>
Anyone make foamcore inserts for those annoying publishers who just throw everything into plastic bags? I just finished my custom insert for Forbidden Stars, got some room left over for expansions too.
>>
I never played runebound, but I heard that the 3rd edition was recently released and was wondering if anyone could recommend it or not? I'm a big fan of adventure type games with a fantasy theme, and I generally play with a group of 3-4 people, if that helps. Coolstuff has it for about 40 bucks which seems reasonable.
>>
>>44289406
See my post on the topic earlier. >>44273302

I haven't been able to play it with a group yet, just a solo run through, but so far it's quite fantastic and I see it going over really well with my group. It's like a faster playing Mage Knight-lite with additional randomness, plot, and a really good combat system.
>>
>>44287182
>Hamsterrolle
The fuck is that?
>>
I need roughly 40 dollars for free shipping on cool stuff inc. What do I get? I'm mostly into fantasy themed games, deep/complex. Solo play is a plus. Any suggestions?
>>
>>44292396
Runebound 3rd edition?
>>
>>44292396
Mage Knight and Runebound are the first two that come to mind.

Other options, although less suited to solo play, are Battlelore, Defenders of the Realm, Descent, or Runewars.
>>
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49015/starting-2016-asmodee-will-operate-asmodee-north-a

And then the benevolent overlords at FFG saved me from having to buy into Armada by making me buy it from the asshole store in town that marks everything 20% above MSRP.
>>
>>44292586
What's your opinion on runewars? Not sure I've ever had someone recommend it to me personally. I've heard mixed things; never wholeheartedly bad, but rarely wholeheartedly good. It looks very interesting, and something that I'd like to add to my collection, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. I don't have any 4x games, and this looks like something I'd be really into to fill that spot.

As a side note, I already own Mage Knight and Descent, though I am also interested in picking up runebound. I love that adventuring feeling in games.
>>
damn I am loving this Summoner Wars app, what's the best set to buy for a physical copy?
>>
Have you all ever had to deal with the board game equivalent of That Guy? Like, imagine if Jason from The Dice Tower wasn't just overly-excitable and kind of socially oblivious, but also a generally shitty person.

Ever had THE worst quarterback ever when it comes to coop games? Or someone who lost their shit because they didn't win. What's the most surreal "is this really happening?" experience you've had with a terrible player?

Ever seen a table-flip IRL?

I'm having kind of a shitty evening. My friends are all busy, I'm ill, and I have a crush on someone who's in a relationship. I think hearing these kinds of stories would take my mind off shit, and maybe provide some laughs for everyone.
>>
>>44292826
Right now? Alliances actually. Neoprene matt, enog storage for every future expansion, 8 mixed races that will.make deck building great, and superb mechanics and cards. Marek of the sand cloaks has so much build variety potential its ridiculous, and Moyra of the vargath vanguard has great tricks for rewarding common unit play.
After alliances, get some single deck factions (second Summoner jungle elves, cloaks, fallen kingdom, vanguard, goblins), and the filth and mercenaries.

Then move onto the Master set. Everything else worhwhile you have likely played already.
>>
>>44292396
Cthulhu Wars
>>
>>44292742
Here's a quote from that thread:

Q: I want to sell products from Asmodee North America online, how do I do this?
A: We will be very selective as to which online merchants will be authorized to sell our products. To qualify as an online merchant, you will need to contribute either significant scale, unique service, or other exceptional differentiation. Most online sales activities, including sales through third party websites, will not be authorized.

"you will need to contribute either significant scale"

The big boys, Miniature Market, CSI, etc., are not going to be effected by this.
>>
>>44292826
I would go with the original Master Set or maybe the Alliances Master Set. Better bang for your buck.

>>44292820
I enjoy Runewars quite a bit. If you want a 4x game with a fantasy theme, this is your best bet. It does have its issues - many are fixed by the expansion - but I personally find the game worth playing in spite of them.

>>44292889
Most surreal experience I've had was someone complaining about a game being broken the whole time, even though it was just because he didn't understand the strategies behind the game even when we pointed stuff out to him. it actually was Jason too
>>
>>44292889
One of my two groups used to have small issues like this with a member. He has the most extensive collection of either group I play with, and is really a genuinely nice guy. Because he's in a small apt while the rest of us have larger homes he never hosts, yet always brings games and tries to get us to play what he's just brought. He also has had issues with being a pretty serious coop quarterback. This was solved by instituting a punishment system, where he'd miss turns, have to go get drink refills for everyone at the table, and make beer/pizza/snack runs.

>>44293098
That's how I've read it so far, but after releasing this info they said they'd answer pretty much all the fallout questions, then corrected themselves saying they were taking the weekend off to go see Force Awakens. I can't fault them for that too much as it was worth skipping work to see the movie; but part of me still sees this leading down the path to Mayfair price fixing.
>>
>>44293186
Would you suggest grabbing the expansion along with the base game, or holding off till I've played a few times? Basically, is it almost necassary in order to fix big problems, or is it just added tweaks that help with quality of life?
>>
>>44293357
Personally, I would say if you're grabbing it to grab both base and expansion at once.
>>
>>44292889
>most surreal "is this really happening"
>table flip irl
>crush on someone who's in a relationship
Here's a deep dark secret anon, just for you. I'm in a "fuck it" mood as well, so I'm going to give you a potentially unsafe amount of detail. If someone who knows me reads this, oh well. I'm just trying to make an anon (and myself?) feel better.

I have a crush on a girl in my board game meetup. She's in a new relationship with a guy who's also in my meetup. It sucks because it feels like I missed my chance by a week or less, and watching their PDA sucks. I talked about it with her best friend, and I agreed to just drop it, so I'm dropping it. I don't think about it anymore. But when I see her I do still get a little sick because I feel like I fall short of being her friend. Here's why.

At the peak of the crush, five of us play this game. I didn't know it at the time, but I think these two just started dating and she was super happy. I offer to play this game I love, but we have too many. I inadvertantly cause him to be excluded. As I start explaining the game, she's very confused (some people would call my rules explanations "roundabout," if they're generous) and gets frustrated by mixing up the rules and misplaying several times.

Also, because I still wasn't used to being around her, I'm gesturing a lot as I explain. She has no depth perception, and every time i move my hands I accidentally give her a panic attack because she perceives them as coming right at her face. Even pointing at the board makes her anxious.

Making matters worse, one of the other people in the game seems to get heartbreaking bad news in the middle of the game, he's catatonic. He doesn't want to talk about it and leaves, she's freezing because she's under the AC vent but won't switch with me, so she just walks around a bit.
>>
>>44292889
>>44295023
Continued

She and this other guy are missing for several minutes at a time during the game, recuperating. When they get back the second or third time, we all argue over how to continue (they don't want us to quit because of them, we don't want them to stay on our accounts). We all agree to give it another chance, sit down, and breathe. But then someone walks over and says we played a rule wrong. She breaks down laughing, but mostly crying, and goes to the bathroom for a few minutes.

I'm devastated. people come to meetup for fun and you should NEVER make someone cry. I despise the guys who do that (those guys exist and I've seen it firsthand). When she comes back we all agree to just continue without them. The other girls I'm playing with basically have to talk me down a ledge so we can finish. I manage to work out the best apology I can make at the end of the night and she accepts it.

Over the next few weeks I figure out who her new boyfriend is, but not before asking so-and-so friend to invite her to our game nights. Now her bf comes too. He's an alright guy, but my total opposite as far as I'm concerned and not someone I'd hang out with. I wish this wasn't the case, but I'm kind of stuck thinking of her only in terms of board games. She probably sees me the same way. If that's true, it's probably nothing good. I've fucked up so many rules with her, had so many bad experiences at this point (I'm way more forgiving than she is), and when I used to feel like we could just trashtalk and joke around, we just don't connect on that basic level anymore. She used to be one of the people that really made board game night special. Not because she's a good sport (she's a pretty miserable sport) but because she's got a great personality and yeah she's cute.
Fuck. That took a while. Hope you're still in here.
>>
>>44295069
Jesus your group sounds like a disaster
>>
Eldritch Horror players, have you come up with any storage systems?

I have a series of ziplock snack size bags, but after a couple games I've realized it wasn't such a great idea.
>>
>>44295023
>>44295069
God damn. I was expecting "this guy argued a rule wrong for 30 minutes and then started insulting people and flipped the board ruining it for everyone else after four hours of gameplay" and other such "do people like this really exist" shit. I'm sorry to hear that, anon. Sounds stressful and sad. I do feel better about my situation by comparison (I don't feel that deeply about her in a romantic sense and we're still friends).

If you don't think it would suck to be friends with her, I'd suggest inviting her and her boyfriend to play a co-op game with you three-player. Maybe you can break the ice better with him and all be friends, and if not, perhaps you can at least become better friends with her.

If you can't handle that shit, don't torture yourself, though.
>>
>>44292889
One of my roommates is a sore fucking loser. He always gets drunk when we play and throw shit all over the place. I find Sheriff of Nottingham coins all over the living room.

We had to throw a game of Betrayal once just so he could win a board game for the first time in his life.
>>
>>44295185
Oh no, just that night in particular was a disaster. And yes, whenever the "asshole who's nice to guys but shitty to girls" shows up it's a disaster.

But it's actually the best group I've ever had and I'm super thankful for them. Almost all of the regulars are among my favorite people. Two of them actually gifted me games today--even though I didn't get them anything--and I felt super touched to hear them each say that they thought of me when they saw it. I'm not normally an emotional person, but if I ever leave town I'd miss these guys so deeply it hurts to think about.
>>
>>44295400
>Sheriff of Nottingham
>raging over Sheriff of Nottingham
Legit? Some bullshit "Sorry, but with theme" game like Munchkin, I could understand, but Sheriff of fucking Nottingham?

Might I recommend not playing anything but coops with him if he's drunk?
>>
>>44295447
He thinks everyone's out to get him in that game, drunk or not. He's been spooked by a shrieval conspiracy that really doesn't exist.
>>
>>44295069
I'm hesitant to ask for the name of the game you were playing since it might be too much information, but it does sound like a heavy game with plenty of space for rules mistakes, hopefully you don't feel too bad about it.
>>
>>44280788
>he doesn't have a weirdly sexual aunt
>>
>>44295379
Yeah, from now on I'm doing my best to befriend him. It's healthier, I think, to get friendlier with him rather than colder, and I sense he knows about the crush because it seems he's trying to be friendlier too. I appreciate that attitude.

Fucking meetup man. Almost every awkward love triangle I've stumbled into (all three sides) is on account of this app. Maybe I should like a bunch of board game pages on Facebook and just trawl Tinder for soulmates.

>>44295584
Medium-weight honestly, I just didn't read the rules and it was only my second play (one major rule changed with different player counts, so that was the big fuckup). It's actually a miracle that two players managed to get through the game without issue. I've since taught it again with no incidents.
>>
>>44293189
>This was solved by instituting a punishment system, where he'd miss turns, have to go get drink refills for everyone at the table, and make beer/pizza/snack runs.

What kind of beta cuck actually goes along with this?
>>
File: 1442371698695.jpg (29 KB, 345x320) Image search: [Google]
1442371698695.jpg
29 KB, 345x320
>>44292889
A guy I play with is just not fun to play with, especially when he's losing. He's just such a massive sore loser.
He'll complain that the game is unbalanced, or that his character is underpowered, or the opponent is abusing mechanics, or whatever.
When it gets really bad, he'll just stop playing, saying something like "I can't win, so why should I bother playing?" when it's a 5 player game.
>>
Make a game using any of the following:

- Dice (any number of sides)
- 52 deck
- Pen + paper
- Counters
- Meeple

Also to >>43921117 I was busy with exams but will absolutely give it a play. Did you make an updated version or is this the current one?
>>
>>44295997
The kind who had 2-4 other people telling him to stop being a douchebag or find a new group? Guy made the smart decision; we play games to have fun and decompress from the stress of working/kids/etc, not to get extra ulcers.

Also it's not like we limit that stuff to any one player, it was something we put in because multiple people in the group would table general on different co-ops, and one of the teenager who sits in sometimes could be a sore winner/loser.
>>
>>44296134
2 players. Draw a square grid. Roll 2 or more basic sets of dice but skip the percent die (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20). Any dice can be re rolled if both players are in agreement, only once.

Take turns picking/drafting dice. Place them on opposite sides of the grid. Health of each dice is equal to the face up side. Movement equal to half that value rounded up. All dice except D12 deal 3 damage. Move dice to the corresponding side when taking damage. Remove from the board when defeated.

1 action per turn. Actions are either moving or attacking, not both (with the exception of D4's and 8's)

D4: range equal to its health. Can move and attack as one action.
D6: Can move forward in a straight line any number of spaces, stopping at and damaging the first enemy hit.
D8: Can move diagonally and attack in one action.
D10: Enemy dice can't move away once in contact. Deals 1 damage when attacked back to the attacker.
D12: Deals damage equal to half it's face falue, rounded up. Takes damage in reverse (if its at 6 and takes 3 damage, turn the dice to 9. Once it passes 12, it dies).
D20: Can not attack. Every move reduces the face value by 1. At 0, explodes, killing all adjacent units, enemy or ally. Can be attacked by both enemies and allies.

Keep playing till one side wipes the other out.

It's probably not at all balanced in any way shape or form, but its off the top of my head.

Did I do good?
>>
>>44296434

The rules seem too complex but it sounds cool, like some kind of RPG chess. I'd try and make the phrasing as clear as possible since some things sound vague, like the size of the grid.
>>
>>44296498
Didn't really think much about specific rules. Just threw some stuff together. If I were to flesh it out as more than just an idea then I'd definitely write out some much more specific/clear instructions.
>>
>>44296434
And let's say it's a...9x9 grid? Cause why not.
>>
>>44295356
Arkham horror here. Bunch of card boxes, and a few sturdy boxes.
>>
>>44278912

Go fuck yourself Empire builder is fun as shit.
>>
File: 1396891621450.png (97 KB, 288x343) Image search: [Google]
1396891621450.png
97 KB, 288x343
>Check out Kingdom Death: Monster
>Gorgeous Artstyle, reviews singing it's praises
>Pricetag

Had to be the one fucking kickstarter I missed
>>
Im looking for a good co-op / semi co-op game.

We have friends / family over a lot and people always end up bitching about who is screwing who with the robber or how annon is a jerk because he claimed this route in ticket to ride before they could.

fuck their shit im tired of it. i need co-op games where we all work together or semi co-op and ill be the bad guy so they can all gang up on me.

One of them is a buzzkill and will not even TRY descent, imperial assault or zombicide. So very simple "Not like D&D" games would be nice.
>>
>>44297288
Forbidden Desert/Pandemic, Ghost Stories, Space Alert, and XCOM for pure co-op

Specter Ops and Fury of Dracula for Semi co-op

Battlestar Galactica, Shadows Over Camelot, Dark Moon, and Dead of Winter for co-op with potential/guaranteed traitors.
>>
>>44295356
custom foamcore insert and tuckboxes, although I only have the first expansion.
>>
File: Flip Control V1.2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Flip Control V1.2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44296134
Glad to hear again from you. Here's the most recent version, with an altered game end that should be a bit more climactic, as well as hopefully clearer rules explanations. Thanks for taking an interest, do feel free to give any comments, suggestions or criticisms you may have.
>>
>>44295356
i made foamcore compartments. didnt use any sort of templates online or anything, made all the shit myself. pretty easy to do.
>>
>>44297288
>will not even TRY zombicide

Nor should they.
>>
>>44297288
Fuck that guy. Descent and IA are both solid games (IA more so mechanically, but I still prefer Descent).

How many people do you have over? If it's up to four (or six if you wanna go big and get both boxes) look into Shadow of Brimstone. Great co-op game with a nice tone and some real clenched moments. Plays very nicely and is an awesome dungeon crawler. Speaking of dungeon crawlers, get Gears of Wars. Just period, it is an amazing game. However, you might run into the same problem with that twat about "too much like (I'm assuming 4E) DnD."

Level 7 Omega Protocol a really nice "me vs them" game. Nice horror tone as well. Mixed reviews on Lever 7: Escape, but that's semi co-op (work as a team to get out, but also screw each other over to escape first) but I haven't played it yet so no comment.
>>
>>44296232
Time to find a new group instead of letting you fukkbois run over him
>>
>>44297288
>We have friends / family over a lot and people always end up bitching about who is screwing who with the robber or how annon is a jerk because he claimed this route in ticket to ride before they could.

To be frank, that's kinda the point of tabletop games. Good-natured whinging between buddies.
>>
>>44296134
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/8941465/
>>
Just got this for $30
>>
>>44290272
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETdvmIcAqJk
>>44292889
Oh, we get That Guy at most of the board game meetups in my city...

>up until very recently, wore a fishing hat to cover his bald spot
>refuses to play co-ops at the easiest stage with people who've never played before, because it's "too easy"
>refuses to play Love Letter with less than four people, even if there's only three of us who aren't in a game and we could play a filler game
>when teaching Catan to some new people, hogged all the good hexes and steamrolled everyone
>cannot understand the concept of playing non-competitively
>taught me Marvel Dicemasters wrong

The thing is, there's no real malice to him and he's not really a sore loser... he just plays to win, and doesn't understand why nobody else at the table thinks the same way.
>>
I don't celebrate Christmas.

Lately, if it counts, I've been in a huge X-Wing mood and have been getting my friends to learn/play.

I am the weird uncle
And very
>>
>>44301125
Found the Jew
>>
>>44298076
Zombicide is good beer and pretzels. I don't see the point in collecting every season but my sister loves it and keeps buying them. As far as I can tell, Black Plague renders all other Zombicide games obsolete and I'll probably sell my Zombicide (season one) and buy Black Plague as my one Zombicide game at some point.
>>
>>44300562
That first point about the fishing hat, just... Who cares?

Anyway, the rest of that does sound annoying, and I can understand not wanting to go easy on someone for the entirety of a long game, but unless you're talking about some four-hour coop I don't see an issue with playing on easy once and then raising the difficulty.
>>
>>44302434
Pagan, but nice epic 4chan meme /b/ro here's your response
>>
>>44302659
>Pagan
I don't have an issue, but just so you know, people here are almost certainly going to give you shit, assuming you're either an edgy teenager hippie or an edgy teenager white nationalist.

This post may make that less likely, but it may not. We'll see.
>>
>>44302710
>This post may make that less likely, but it may not. We'll see.

You can't stop me assuming shit.
>>
>>Are you getting your fellow fat people stuff for Christmas?
Getting one friend Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. Another might be getting some Conquest expansions.
>>Planning to get the family/bearded friends into some games? If so, what are you taking to your gatherings?
Hopefully a holiday game of TI3, just got done making up physical versions of the shattered ascention strategy cards. Other than that, a general smattering of lighweight social games to take to actual family nonsense.
>>How drunk will your weird uncle get this time?
The weird uncle is my brother in law, and he's mormon. But also naturally self-incoxicating at all social events, so probably pretty weird.

>>44266174
Sheriff is so damn hilarious with grandparents.
I love it.

>>44266871
Would if I wasn't running a LAN on new years.
If I can get our ISP to cooperate, might post server IP for whatever we're playing, though.

>>44269146
Nice. Last time I gave this many friends games for xmas, virtually all of those games wound up just staying at my place permanently because they never play them elsewhere.

>>44273708
CitOW is fantastic, by all reports, but will be a significant step up in complexity. Not insurmountable, but certainly noticeable.
Dead of Winter is incredibly thematic, but has some mechanical problems. Still lots of fun, though.

>>44277984
Seems interesting enough, but I'm near-literally drowning in tiny social deduction games.

>>44278912
Citadels or Sheriff.

>>44282799
Fury of Dracula feels more grandiose and tense, but is also longer. Better narrative.
Spectre Ops has more interesting player powers on both sides of the game, but the hunt isn't quite as interesting a puzzle. The traitor rule for spectre ops at five players feels really damn awkward. I love traitor sytems, but something needs improved here.
>>
>>44302817
>Seems interesting enough, but I'm near-literally drowning in tiny social deduction games.
This. Hoping 2016 brings something different, since 2014 was all about micros and 2015 seemed to be social deduction/ad-lib being pushed left and right.
>>
>>44277984
Sounds like shit
>>
>>44279495
>Can't comment on Citadels, frequent complaints about it here though.

More like a few people complain, and a lot of others recommend it. It's fine to dislike something, but the number of 'complainants' who can't form a rational coherent argument about "Game X" and then say "It sucks cause I say so..." says more about the failings of the speaker and not the product.
>>
>>44298893
>To be frank, that's kinda the point of tabletop games. Good-natured whinging between buddies.

It's the 'good natured' part that's apparently missing. When that's absent, what you're really talking about is someone who's being a whiny bitch / sore loser.
>>
>>44303061
>Hoping 2016 brings something different
2016 might be the year where I start getting more into wargames. Pretty much all the good ones unfortunately seem to be 2-players only, but that doesn't have to stop them from being good games. New Mare Nostrum edition will probably be a given, and it'll be fun to play that again, it's been a few years since I played it last. Another Kickstarter I missed that seems interesting is Hands in the Sea, a deck-building wargame with the First Punic War as theme.
>>
Are there any games you can't enjoy for whatever reason?

For instance, aside from chess, I can't play abstract strategy games because I get too into it, start to let my self-esteem ride on being smarter than whoever I'm playing, feel bad about myself if I lose, and so on.

Not sure what the difference with chess is. Maybe it's just that I've been playing it since I was a kid.
>>
>>44305419
>Are there any games you can't enjoy for whatever reason?

Sure, everyone probably has a few that just don't click with them. I'm not a fan of Dominion in spite of the fact that I like deck builders. For whatever reason, that one simply doesn't do it for me.
>>
>>44305419
For me that would probably be Love Letter. I like a lot of micro games and tiny games in general, but for whatever reason I can't stand Love Letter.
>>
>>44305419
I don't particularly like Arkham Horror or Pandemic, and I suspect that I just don't like coop board games in general. Which I actually find a bit curious, since I don't mind the cooperative aspect of roleplaying games, though I suspect it could be that most coop board games strip out all the individualist aspects of RPGs that make them more than just "group consensus on the optimal way of achieving our goals." Haven't tried any secret traitor style coops though, so I can see the different dynamic that aspect provides maybe keeping my interest more.
>>
>>44306441
You may also like dice-chucking dungeon crawl cooperative games where you're fighting monsters and collecting loot and shit.
>>
>>44304469
Keep your ear to the ground, GW announce they're reestablishing their specialist studio. We might see the return of Mordheim, Necromunda, Bloodbowl, GorkaMorka, Path to Glory, etc
>>
>>44306941
If GW are saying that then they must have found a way to milk it back into the ground. Thank goodness they didn't completely throw the mordheim and bloodbowl setting in the bin and pull some random shit out their ass.
>>
>>44307041
I don't even care if they milk it for all its worth, I just want to see these things alive again. Being able to actually play mordheim at my LGS and not have to explain 20 times what it is.
>>
>>44304469
>a deckbuilding game with the First Punic War as the theme

That sounds unusual.
>>
>>44293189
>>44293098
>>44292742

>http://www.asmodeena.com/static/AsmodeeNA_Statement_122115.pdf
Fallout questions answered, looks like smaller/medium sized stores get screwed, and depending if they consider MM/CSI exceptional enough those guys lose online rights. Guess Amazon moves to the top of the list for where to buy LCG/X-Wing/Armada.
>>
>>44307467
Yeah. Apparently it's inspired by Martin Wallace's A Few Acres of Snow if you're familiar with it (I'm not). More here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/136955/hands-sea
>>
>>44295069

>Did some rules wrong
>She cried about it
>All this negative emotion over board game rules

Anon, your game nights sound like a train wreck. Whenever someone in my group gets a rule wrong, we call him a homosexual slur, he retorts with something equally gutteral and vile, we all laugh, life moves on.

That girl also sounds a bit...off as well. Well your whole situation sounds incredibly off. nonsensical, and bizarre, but you're prolly better off not getting close with the girl in your story.
>>
American who's just recently moved to australia here:

Do any game stores do boxing day sales?
>>
>>44304260
True... I remember the first time I played A Study In Emerald, my side was losing pretty badly. I politely enquired whether there was a question of imbalance between the two sides, or whether it was me ingesting sour grapes. When the big-ass paragraph from the rule book about how Martin Wallace doesn't even know if the game is balanced, I just replied "Ah, it WAS sour grapes. Fair enough."
>>
How do you convince your friends to try a new game (well, new for them)? I've really been itching to play Dominion lately, and I own all the expansions online but don't particularly like playing with randoms. My irl friends have moved on from dominion, and that's fine, but a lot of my online friends haven't even heard of the game, but when I ask them to play they either just say no, or play one game to humor me and then never play again. It's a great game with a lot of depth but they aren't even giving it a chance and it's getting to the point where I've run out of people to ask to play with me.
>>
>>44309025
>Dominion
>Great game

If you've played less than six times, maybe.
>>
>>44309072
I dunno, I'm at 200+ and still having a lot of fun with it. Other deckbuilders have better theme or more direct interaction, but none of them are as well balanced as Dominion from what I've found. 2 player games, even with no attack cards have more to them than just multiplayer solitaire, so I have yet to get bored of it.
>>
>>44309133
Do you enjoying watching paint dry as well?
>>
>>44309025
Well if you only want them to try a new game you just have to talk about it with enthusiasm and that's it.
>>
>>44308698
Outside of Melbourne and Sydney, don't count on it.
>>
What are some themes you'd like to see represented in a genuinely great board game, /bgg/?

>lucha libre (especially if it was licensed by AAA or CMLL and had a lot of their wrestlers)
>pirates (in an Ameritrash style that's almost wargamey)
>cooperative Jurassic Park-ish game (in that you play as humans trying to stay alive in a world full of ferocious dinosaurs)
>>
>>44312466

dinosaur themed area control ala kemet (dinoriders game?)

also, a true 4x space or fantasy themed game that can go all day but also can be finished under 3 hours depending on map size and number of players.
>>
>>44308698
Where you from?

Most places won't, if you've got a bing nearby you're in luck though.
>>
>>44297244
Empire builder is the shittiest board game I've ever had the displeasure of playing. I'd rather be water boarded than play that abomination again
>>
>>44312162
I'm in Melbourne - Essendon specifically

>>44313134
VA. What's a bing?
>>
>>44312466
There is a lucha libre/wrestling dice game. It's got teeny tiny champion belts you fight over. Light hearted,but supposedly loads of fun in groups, and gets better with some role playing and wrestle drama tier taunting.
>>
>>44314073
Sounds cool. Got a name for me?
>>
>>44314102
Luchador! Mexican Wrestling dice game

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/143075/luchador-mexican-wrestling-dice

Never played it though, just kept hearing great things.
>>
File: androminionplaycount.png (286 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
androminionplaycount.png
286 KB, 720x1280
>>44309072
>>44309133
>>44309251
not him but I agree. Dominion's pretty fun
>inb4 lrn2play shit win%
>>
>>44315742
>100% 1v1 win rate
Damn, son.
>>
>>44313134
A subsidiary (aka a brick and mortar) of these guys
http://www.popcultcha.com.au/
>>
>>44316424
Look more carefully. That's out of one game. So he played 1v1 once and won that time. Had he lost, it would've said 0%.
>>
>>44313960
>>44316917
They also have sales quite often. The local Bing had a "Buy 2, 1 free" deal recently. Picked up 3 starter packs for Dice Masters, a buttload of Boosters, and 3 boardgames
>>
>>44313041
Well, there's Space Empires: 4X, but I don't think it can go all day. Maybe if you were to combine two copies of it and play a custom 8 player game somehow...
>>
>>44314421
I keep seeing that at the UK Games Expo. I think the demo has little papercraft/finger puppet luchadors as well.
>>
>>44319687
It could go all day, if you all turtled up and fucked around...

My main complaint with Space Empires, though, is that as far as I've seen, everyone develops their econ as much aas they can, with maybe one or two minor battles, and masses fleets. So let's say you've spent 3 hours or so on this part of the game.

Well, the next part of the game is generally a bloodbath in which everyone throws their fleets right at each other and whoever wins that wipes out an enemy capital and wins, in a turn or two, taking about half an hour or so.

Essentially, you have 3 hours of solitaire and a half hour of brutality. The pacing feels off.
>>
>>44297272
>reviews singing it's praises
It's not really all that.
>>
>>44309025
>How do you convince your friends to try a new game
Hey, I got a new game!
>>
>>44321671

Waiting for someone to rip out the cool parts and make a game that's not magical realm.
>>
>>44309133
So you've never had the joy of star realms?

>>44322328
Waiting for someone to realize games like this reduce accessibility to players who are interested without the blind and make something similar.
>>
>>44316930
>that's
>the
>joke
>>
>>44320807
> Space 4x games
> Lots of turtling to develop econ
> Blood Bath at the end...

This describes Eclipse and a lot of other Space 4x games as well. The issue isn't the game, it's the players all adopting that strategy. I'd say part of it comes from players not wanting to 'eliminate' their friends / fellow players early and / or have to sit out the rest of the game themselves if they're eliminated early. That said, it's a common issue with all 4x style games I've played. If fewer players turtle, then diplomacy and other factors have greater sway on the game. It's why I want to play a larger game of Hegemonic - players can lend each other influence during conflicts and alliances can shift very easily. It's why there's a difference between Grand Strategy games like TI3 where purely military build up often is a good way to lose the game, and true 4x games where players have to do battle eventually, but no one wants to get the ball rolling early. (Unless you're the damn plant people in Eclipse - then I'm blasting your ass often and as early as possible. The Pod People spread like the freakin' Plague!)
>>
>>44322328
>make a game that's not magical realm.

Sadly I'm pretty sure that 'magical realm' is about 90% of the appeal for the original KS crowd. It's like claiming that you're dating a Porn Star purely for their personality....
>>
>>44323285
That's a big part of why I avoid large TI3 maps like the plague. No room to spend all game massing for a final turn when you're desperate for just a little elbow room.
>>
>>44323347
It's the same in Eclipse, fewer players - fewer hex tiles. Hegemonic gets fairly interesting fairly quickly too since there are point bonuses for controlling all the hexes in a sector, or controlling the center sector.
>>
File: BAHOTH_pic1.png (220 KB, 800x520) Image search: [Google]
BAHOTH_pic1.png
220 KB, 800x520
Anybody is up for a Betrayal at house on the hill on vassal?
>>
I bought Ban (the card game about Cowboys and stuff) for a gift exchange. I have never played it, but I've been meaning to pick it up. How is it?
>>
>>44324404
Sorry, I meant
>Bang
>>
>>44324439
s'okay
can go a little long with more than a few players, but the game is solid
>>
>>44323750
Don't have time right now unfortunately, but thank you for the offer. I didn't even realize they had a vassal mod for it. Hope you get enough players.
>>
I have a bunch of normie friends that love Munchkin. Do you think I could get them into Elder Sign? I've been meaning to get it for my Lovecraftian fix.
>>
>>44324484
Yeah, elder sign is super lightweight, shouldn't have any trouble teaching it to people that willingly subject themselves to munchkin.
>>
>>44324404
Bang is okay, like the other said, can drag on a bit at times. If you want a lighter faster version Bang: the Dice Game is good. But be aware that it is VERY light, you only have one special power for your character, no equipment or anything else factors into it. But it's very easy to get non gamers into as it's very easy to play.
>>
File: Fortune-and-Glory.jpg (97 KB, 500x256) Image search: [Google]
Fortune-and-Glory.jpg
97 KB, 500x256
Fortune and Glory.

Anyone played it? How was it?
>>
>>44324481
That's all right.
It's the first time I use it and I wanted to chek it out.

I'll be here later on tonight if anybody wants to play.
>>
>>44324574
Munchkin is considered bad?
>>
>>44325049
Not much player interaction, a little bit long, but excellent implementation of theme. The soundtrack is, expectedly, retarded. Gets used once every year or so when the the wife's friends want to dress up as characters for it and play as a dinner party event game, which it works well for.
>>
>>44325300
Munchkin is horrible. Extremely little in the way of content or components for the price, very little in the way of meaningful decisions for players to make, can drag on forever, winner determined largely by whose turn it is when everyone else runs out of fuck-you cards. Terrible. All it has going for it are a collection of puns and weak jokes that wear thin halfway through the first time you read them.
>>
>>44325300
Before you get 8 Gorillian "You're having bad-wrong-fun!" replies - here's the issue. Munchkin is simply shallow. It isn't wrong to like it, but the jokes wear thin sooner rather than later (and buying 8 expansion packs only prolongs the inevitable), and the game play becomes very predictable. Typically the person who's in 2nd place routinely wins because everyone blows all their cards preventing the leader from winning which makes it a cake walk for 2nd place to reach level 10.

If you like the play style of Munchkin - check out 'Cutthroat Caverns' - adventure combined with 'take that' play style without the corny (soon to grow stale) jokes and a lot more depth.
>>
>>44324484
Definitely works for casuals, base game can be feel thin after a repeated plays, Gates of Arkham is supposed to add more tension by not letting you see all the active investigations/other world adventures closing regular investigation cards.

As a tablet/phone game the implementation is top tier and brushes up against perfect, expansions costing an extra $2-3 keeps it from being a must buy.
>>
>>44325300
Many people consider Munchkin this ages Monopoly. EVERYONE plays it or is willing to play it, it takes way too long, and when you step back from it and take a longer look, it really has very little going for it as a game.

Munchkin CAN BE FUN though, and isn't a bad game to have in your collection. It's just so seriously outclassed by so many other games it's not even funny.
>>
>>44325354
>>44325441
Yeah, I can see those points. I think it's fun for a game every once in a while. Maybe that's just because my friends don't play many games and we can all pool whatever versions we have together. But yeah, the whole "shit on whoever is about to win" thing just sucks balls.
>>
>>44325300
>>44325354
>>44325441
>>44325666

Munchkin isn't bad for a 'gateway' game into deeper things. It's just that anyone of average intelligence and maturity out-grows Munchkin so quickly that it's hard to justify it to new gamers as an investment. The jokes wear thin, the game can run long with 4 or more players (analysis paralysis can make it even worse), it becomes easy to predict the winner because of the game play style, etc. It's sort of the modern equivalent of 'Tic-Tac-Toe' with better graphics, and most experienced gamers kind of feel bad recommending it when so many other intro games can give much better value for $$$$ spent.
>>
>>44325049

Long, fun, and really thematic. Is totally buy it if I didn't think flying frogs aesthetics weren't fugly as shit. The whole "filtered pictures as game art" style looks almost as bad to me as using in game models like the WoW adventure board game did.
>>
>>44323750
Dear lord, if there's one thing worse than playing that bumbling clusterfuck of lolsorandumb boredom, it would be playing it with randoms over the bloody internet.
>>
>>44326271
It's got a kind of retarded b-movie charm to it, but yeah. It's pretty loathsome on the whole.
>>
>>44326271
>the WoW adventure board game
The only fun part about that game was creating and planning how your character would turn out. Actually playing the game to get there though? I've had more fun at the dentist's, and that includes having a wisdom tooth removed.
>>
>>44326551
Sounds like a perfect recreation of the vidya.
>>
>>44326764
Can't speak to how it is atm, but I did play during the first two expansions. The first expansion was fucking awesome, I still miss the PvP from it sometimes, as well as the dungeons and the raids. Second expansion pretty much ended my interest in the game after a while, which was probably for the best. I don't even want to know how much time I sank into that game...
>>
Just ordered Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Not really a huge fan of star wars but the game itself looked pretty fun. plus it was on sale.

Did a bit more research and found out that theres a game called Descent which I'm guessing is what imperial assault was based on, just of course, reskinned.

Should I have bought Descent instead? Putting the theme aside, strictly asking in a gameplay point of view.
>>
>>44328897
Imperial assault has a few improvements rule wise over descent, but they both share the problem of having one basic strategy that is clearly the best for nearly all missions.
>>
>>44328897
>>44329525
This is a bit of an issue, although Imperial Assault works amazingly from a skirmish standpoint like many miniature wargames.
>>
>>44328897
Not really, IA is so much better than Descent there is really no reason to buy Descent unless you absolutely hate Star Wars.
>>
>>44329646
I haven't played it as a war game so I can't comment, but the ability to do so might add some appeal for some people.
>>
>>44325314
>>44326271

Sounds like a solid 7/10. Thanks!
>>
>>44328897
Depends. I actually prefer Descent but still got IA because skirmish.
>>44329969
Actually one of the biggest turn offs for IA (for me at least) was how the character cards and class decks are combined. I really enjoyed the mix and changing of Descent with Character cards and class decks
>>
>>44326928
>>44326551
Have you gotten the solo/coop variant rules from BGG? It makes the WoW boardgame actually pretty fun and worthwhile to play; especially if you've got a friend to come along with you
>>
>>44329969
I have to comment that this is false. Descent has multiple expansions that add a lot of value and replay, with more to come. IA doesn't outclass it because of this, even with slightly improved rules. In fact, since both games suffer from the same fatal strategy flaw, you're just splitting hairs.
>>
>>44323285
>it's the players all adopting that strategy.

I feel like this is related to a fault in the game.
>>
>>44329525
>>44331900
what's the strategy flaw?
>>
>>44333722
basically it is almost always in the best interest of both the players and the overlord/imperial player to ignore everything and rush objectives, turning it into more of a racing game than anything else.

This also have the side effect of feeling very un-thematic (especially for Star Wars, where instead of shooting stormtroopers I'm usually better off to ignore them and just walk by on my way to the macguffin).
>>
>>44333659
What fault is that? Frankly if you can stunt an opponent's economy early on, you have a great advantage during the end game, and if you knock out opponents early you have more area to expand into / plunder for resources. Most people simply don't play that aggressively.
>>
>>44333845
It's because combat is slower than moving due to pathfinder action rules. But in PF, you take care to set tonnes of deadly traps and locked rooms to keep players in check. In descent/ia, the rooms are small, connected by an open 2-space gap, and rarely have traps worth caring about.
>>
>>44297288
Is Catacombs an us vs him game? That might be different enough to fit the bill.
>>
>>44334281
Catacombs is primarily a one vs many style game. It may have a pure coop mode, I don't know enough about it to say if it does or doesn't, but I know the main play mode is head to head. And honestly, I can't think of any good way to do a pure coop mode for catacombs.
>>
>>44334003
>if you can stunt an opponent's economy early on, you have a great advantage during the end game

Not really a viable strategy.

>if you knock out opponents early you have more area to expand into / plunder for resources

Also not really viable, unless you're doing 2v2, in which case your opponent's ally is attacking you while you try to get him.

I've played many times, with many groups of different people, and the same thing happens every time.
>>
>>44334357
Oh, okay. Flashpoint has my vote for a pure co-op game. Can be as difficult or simple as you want, the game scales well enough to support drop in drop out co-op, and everyone secretly wants to be a firefighter.
>>
>>44307634
The biggest difference is that the medium sized guys will need to choose between a full online only store vs a full brick and mortar.

Brock and mortar sounds like it's going to be lower volume but bigger margin while online only is going to not have as low a margin /flexibility when ordering. The only way I can see this happening is if prices raise for the online only stores .

Expect a price bump online.

Also ninety percent of you fucks that complain about stores charging over msrp are lying. You just don't want to admit that you wouldn't pay msrp for nearly everything you play.
Which is fine if you don't want to pay msrp when you don't have to. Just dont be a bitch about it when the market starts to correct.
>>
bomp
>>
>>44334921
I don't see why anyone would falsely claim they charge over msrp. Unless the crushing weight of capitalism makes them ashamed of being poor.

I actually have seen stores charge over but usually for sealed tcg product despite plentiful supply. That's because tcgs are a cancerous scam though. Usually rhyme it's board games it's specialty, limited run or import. I myself never pay msrp because I don't have to. I also have no car so I must use amazon or csi when I want games.
>>
One of the snaps on my Sheriff of Nottingham bags ripped straight through the fabric. What do?
>>
>>44338901
Never play it again? Blessing in disguise there.
>>
>>44339024
This. Any game that needs an honor code to be balanced is shit.
>>
So I love complex games and sitting with my friends for a few hours in front of a board, but I hate fiddling with all the tiny bits, tokens, markers, sliders.
Can you guys recomend me a grand game with next to no little annoying bits?
>>
>>44340389

Is that even possible? I mean sounds like you're looking for a game with a crap ton of charts and like, a single dice. I'd like to think there's a correlation between moving parts (or pieces) and complexity, and games with just the former sound more decorative than they need to be, I wouldn't have a clue about games that use just the latter. Play an rpg I guess. You only have to keep up with a few pieces of paper, a pencil, and sons dice.
>>
>>44340854
Yeah, I don't expect games that use a dice and one meeple to reconstruct world war 2, but the less stuff the better
>>
>>44340984
>don't expect games that use a dice and one meeple to reconstruct world war 2

Challenge accepted
>>
>>44338901
Email manufacturer. Had this happen and they sent me a replacement straight away.
>>
>>44297288
Don't play with Buzz Killington. Simple
>>
>>44341120
>>don't expect games that use a dice and one meeple to reconstruct world war 2
>Challenge accepted

I swear to God, if that one meeple has a mustache and a German accent...
>>
>>44265560
Interesting - Asomdee / FFG clarify their upcoming policy changes...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49101/asmodee-clarifies-its-changes-2016-online-sales-wi

Still not thrilled. If they eliminate places like CSI, MM, and Funagain, I won't be buying many if any of their products going forward. They may currently be the biggest publisher, but they're far from the only publisher, and I wouldn't be sad for the business world to learn that screwing customers in the name of profit is a great way to end up with no profits.
>>
>>44338430
Every time I've had a local complain about things being above MSRP, I always investigate to make sure that is true.

It's usually not, and the only time it was true was for some obscure anime tcg or Cards Against Humanity...which had no distributor.

Its usually used as rationalization for not giving the site they play in a dime .

Meh. The market is going to correct soon . If things shift to mostly online, then those distributors/online markets will be getting charged more for the product. ..which means creeping back to msrp for everyone.
>>
>>44339117
>Sheriff of Nottingham
>Needing an honor code
I'm pretty sure you're just retarded.
>>
>>44340389
If complex doesn't mean it needs to be grand, there's the card games like Netrunner (some tokens) and Summoner Wars.

If you don't mind minis, there's Memoir 44.

Shogun has lots of cubes, but you usually just throw everything into a tower instead of handling each cube individually.

The Suburbia hex pieces are pretty big I think. So are the pieces in Between Two Cities.
>>
>>44331900
I have to retort that while this is technically true, there is enough replay value in the currently existing IA expansions that you won't need any more anytime soon, and they're churning out new ones all the time.

Also, the fact wounding all players is also the win condition, it is a lot easier for the imperial player to focus on fighting than in Descent. And the new rules that allow moving through figures make blocking narrow passages with minions less viable than in Descent. So while both are susceptible to the same problem, IA is very much less so than Descent.
>>
>>44341859
When (if) I go to locals, I always buy a decent amount of the highest margin items. I used to be close to the owner and know it can be rough. I'm usually poor though so I rarely go
>>
>>44342658
I've actually done a total rpg conversion on descent and my group loves it
>>
>>44343094
I don't see the relevance.
>>
Ta-seti in at coolstuff.
Gg wallet.
>>
>>44342658
In my experience it's almost impossible for the Imperial player to wound all the other players before they achieve their objective. The fact that you can double heal, which if you have no strain will almost fully heal most characters, means damage is usually a last resort.

Being able to move through enemy spaces (at double movement points) kinda just contributes to the problem that everyone just rushes objectives. If it takes me 2 whole turns to shoot my way past the stormtroopers, and then the Imperial player just respawns them, why not just double move and get past them in 1 turn? I can still spend a turn to heal fully and be in a better position than I was if I had shot them.
>>
I basically asked for board games from everyone who asked what I wanted for Christmas.

Anybody else do this?
>>
>>44346914
I asked for Bang! The Dice Game. I might get somebody else to play it with me on the 25th... I suspect there'll be more call for The Hobbit: Love Letter, which I'll give to my Tolkien-mad little brother
>>
>>44346914
I asked my brother for Spartacus, from my parents, Evolution.

Surprised my bro was up for getting me another board game. This past October, he ordered Twilight Struggle, but only got charged for it now. Canadian dollar has only fallen further and further lately, so it came out to 80$. He was none too pleased with me about that. Mind you, he's also been the one to always get whatever was cheapest on my wishlists, so I'm not sure how bad I feel about the matter.
>>
File: 3756e.jpg (68 KB, 425x542) Image search: [Google]
3756e.jpg
68 KB, 425x542
>Kemet Ta-Seti apparently came out while i wasn't looking
>sold out on CSI
>$130 in Amazon
>everywhere else still only taking pre-orders
>>
>>44297612

Played through a couple of games. I like that you don't know what land you're going to get until you spend an action to flip the cards. I don't feel that there is enough incentive to call a duel though, and the rules were pretty confusing. I'd suggest playing a round with some people, not telling them anything about the game and seeing what is and isn't clear.
>>
>>44349256
CSI generally gets a second load in about a week later with this kind of thing.
>>
>>44340389
You can sink hours into Consulting Detective and it's fairly light on bits
>>
>>44349779
Thanks dude.
I just need that and some $10 filler game for muh free shipping.
Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.