[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I have some ideas for 1st level quests? I'm starting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: Q0LDg4k.jpg (546 KB, 2700x2027) Image search: [Google]
Q0LDg4k.jpg
546 KB, 2700x2027
Can I have some ideas for 1st level quests?

I'm starting a group with some people who aren't too familiar with D&D and I can't think of a fun, captivating first adventure to keep them interested in the game. I'm obviously not the greatest of DM's, I need some more practice.
>>
ratfolk innkeeper hires them to clear out the human nest in his cellar
>>
File: vbcjGnT.png (257 KB, 832x680) Image search: [Google]
vbcjGnT.png
257 KB, 832x680
>>44260307
>>
>>44260307
The human nest then counter offers to clear out the rat hotel in their attic
>>
>>44260307
>>44260356
Get the neighbors involved too
>>
>>44260378
>The players attempt to step out into the street to find they are actually in an intricate apartment complex full of tenants who all hate each other
>>
>>44260278
>Kill these bandits
>>
>>44260416
this is why /tg/ is best board
>>
File: sigil.jpg (116 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
sigil.jpg
116 KB, 1024x768
>>44260416
>it's literally Sigil
i'm probably fine with this
>>
>>44260278
Just use the B- and N-series modules for TSR D&D.
>>
>>44260459
What's inside the torus, if the inner surface is the city? Sewage and shit won't take up that much space.
>>
File: 1440525576708.jpg (461 KB, 736x1199) Image search: [Google]
1440525576708.jpg
461 KB, 736x1199
>>44260416
>>
I personally like problems with wild animals as a good first level quest, which could be tied in with a bigger issue or dungeon problem somehow.

>Roll d4- if you get 4 combine two
>1) Wolf in sheep's clothing
There is a wolf preying on sheep of a nearby farmer, he suspects it has gotten accustomed to the easy meal and hires adventurers to slay it.
Turns out the wolf is hiding amongst the sheep. It doesn't seem smarter then a regular wolf but somehow has a wolf costume it slips on and out of when it wants to blend in or hide. It may attack the party in a hit and run style combat in the middle of a flock, who barely seem to notice what is going on. The costume is small and nonmagical, but seems to work great on any other canines if you want to disguise them as sheep.

>2) Bear claw
There is a hunter in town who is very proud of a recent bear he has killed, wearing its paw as a trophy around town. Just recently he was found mauled, and recent bear sightings confirm there is a bear prowling around the town. Turns out the bear is a zombie and looking for its claw to be returned, thankfully it is seemingly blind and nonaggressive; if its claw is returned (currently held by the hunter's lover, who will give it up the moment anyone mentions the curse of restless dead), the bear will calm and go off into the woods to die naturally.

>3) Mojo Monkey
Rare monkey is seen in the woods nearby where there normally aren't monkeys. The monkey wears strange markings on its fur and even has a sort of weird necklace it has around it. The monkey will scream at any intruders into its territory that will give anyone who hears it a splitting headache and its thrown rocks seem unnaturally accurate (+3 to hit); the monkey is actually an escaped experiment of a nearby Wizard, trying to give magical abilities to a primate. If the monkey is in a fight to the death it will cast a random 1st level spell as best as it can, though it will seem cheap and flimsy compared to most other magic users.
>>
>>44260521
These quests...I can't even...
>>
File: Quest.jpg (261 KB, 1163x798) Image search: [Google]
Quest.jpg
261 KB, 1163x798
>>44260576

What? They are all thematically appropriate and low enough level, right?
>>
File: ayyy.jpg (65 KB, 650x236) Image search: [Google]
ayyy.jpg
65 KB, 650x236
>>44260515
A lot of people have studied the metaphysics of Sigil, and they all came to the same conclusion: it's a mazing
>>
>>44260278
Keep on the borderlands.
>>
File: 1356035780789.jpg (44 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1356035780789.jpg
44 KB, 300x225
>>44260278
If D&D then this >>44260490
Keep on the Borderlands is a good intro. Basically a bunch of small lairs to go through. Most classes will get to lvl 3 no problem.
Just be sure to water down the encounters a bit. They're generally designed for 8ish players.
Also find a source for dungeon magazine. Google search will do. The earlier editions had quite a few D&D modules. 1st edition AD&D as well as second are converted to basic with little to no work at all.
Act ran 4 "established" level 1s through a dungeon magazine module geared towards a party level of 8-12. (Average party level 1-3) I just used my judgement to water down some of the set encounters and break them up into multiple smaller ones.
They killed off all but 3 combat encounters. 1 NPC escaped. They took 2 hostage (who were released by the escapee when they left them bound and tied) and 1 negotiation.
They bitched about wanting to gain a level that night. They had to grind through it til the end.
Had 1 death. They managed to gain the favor of a mid level priest and got their res at a discount (3/4 of the gold they earned on their travels so far) The Fighter and the Dwarf leveled. The Wizard is literally 225 points away. And the Elf is over halfway to 2.
The Dwarf learned flanking is a good thing. And defensive withdrawals.
The Wizard realized Magic Missile sucks and sleep is better when there's multiple trash mobs. Also oil flasks are a Wizards best friend.
They learned Clerics don't suck when it comes to making undead guard fodder a complete non issue. (The Dwarf rolled an Alt Cleric)
The Elf learned to stay back and plink everything with a bow.
There're 2 new players and 2 experienced ones. I haven't touched D&D since maybe 96.
Had more fun than I have in a long time.
Players were hitting me up last night wanting to play again.
On a side note roll for individual initiative. It makes the players with dex mods feel accomplished because their dex points count. Roll party initiative to resolve ties.
>>
>>44260278
Sigil is an actually good answer. Start from small part of it, to give them a glimpse of the weirdness, but don't overwhelm them.
>>
>>44262373
Cont
Ties with dex bonuses = dex bonus goes first.
It still keeps combat speed fast instead of dueling dice when 3-4 people/monsters have 3s
>>
>>44262373
Cool
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.