[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you agree with ProJared's new D&D videos?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: D&DForAutists.png (678 KB, 607x636) Image search: [Google]
D&DForAutists.png
678 KB, 607x636
Do you agree with ProJared's new D&D videos?
>>
>>44257516
I don't know. I don't watch his videos.
>>
>>44257516
who?
>>
>>44257516
Who?
>>
>>44257516
The story of him going from rogue to assassin was a bit dull, I enjoyed the story about the balista bolt bat
>>
>>44257653
Can't say I enjoyed any of them. They sound like stuff I would have done when I was like...15.
>>
>>44257516
literally who?
>>
I like a lot of nerd stuff but I just don't get the appeal of D&D.

You sit there around a table with a bunch of other guys and you make up some half-baked story about yourselves and roleplay that to some half-baked conclusion.

I dunno. I feel like it's empty to me.
>>
>>44257706
What about other RPG's?
>>
>>44257706
Then... Why are you here?
>>
>>44257835

Here? Where?
>>
>>44257849
/tg/. Why are you on /tg/ if you think something like D&D is a waste of time?
>>
>>44257890

That's a stupid question.
>>
>>44257890
He probably plays Magic or Warhams or something like that. /tg/ is more than just RPGs, dude.
>>
>>44257706
maybe you just have no imagination
>>
>>44257516
It doesn't matter. We tweak shit and make shit up as it fits using the rules as a guideline. Ultimately we'rejust having fun telling a story with friends.

YFW you've never had your bard force a bar of bounty hunters to dance until someone broke and tell you who was involved with starting fires in the forts graineries.
>>
>>44257516
Who?
>>
>>44257516
Who?
>>
>>44257955
I understand that. But what I mean by asking that is, if you can't understand how people could get enjoyment out of something like a role playing game, how can you understand how any of the hobbies in traditional gaming can be enjoyable? (I don't know if I phrased that right.)

I mean, all of the mediums of this hobby are about problem solving, imagination, and pulling off strategies.

I didn't mean to say, "Well then get out!" I was just going to make a comparison between whatever he liked and D&D.
>>
>>44257706
It's the opposite imo. DnD is very fulfilling, the feeling of having a good time as you battle monsters and solve puzzles, the feeling as bizzare mishaps and amazing bouts of luck are determined by a simple dice role. With the right group it can be a very fulfilling experience. But then again, RP and in turn RPG are not meant for everyone. If you lack imagination, if you need something more tangible than dice and figurines to have fun, you won't enjoy it.

Overall I understand why people could dislike DnD, but I don't get why people try to belittle it. It's as valid and as fun of a game as MTG, warhammer, and all the other games here in /TG/.
>>
>>44258178

Oh, it's very important for nerds to stratify the hobby into "the real shit (that we do)" and "that fake lame shit (that other nerds do)". Like, a lot of tabletop players kind of look down on LARPers, for instance. Or you have the older generation who call the younger generation fake because nerd culture is more widely known about and accepted than it was in the 70's and 80's.

We're low on the social ladder, so it's pretty important to us to be able to look down on SOMEBODY.
>>
>>44257516
Who are you? Who who, who who?

I woke up in a Soho doorway
A policeman knew my name
He said "You can go sleep at home tonight
If you can get up and walk away"
I staggered back to the underground
And the breeze blew back my hair
I remember throwin' punches around
And preachin' from my chair

Well who are you? Who are you?
Who who, who who? I really wanna know
Who are you? Who who, who who? Tell me who are you
Who are you? Who who, who who? Cause I really wanna know

I took a tube back outta town
Back to the Rollin' Pin
I felt a little like a dying clown
With a streak of Rin Tin Tin
I stretched back and I hiccupped
And looked back on my busy day
Eleven hours in the Tin Pan
God there's got to be another way

Well who are you? Who are you?
Who who, who who? Oh, who are you?
Who are you? Who who, who who? Come on tell me who are you
Who are you? Who who, who who? Oh who the f**k are you?

Who are you? Ooh wa ooh wa...

I really wanna know
Who are you? Who who, who who? I really wanna know
Who are you? Who who, who who? Come on tell me who are you
Who are you? Who who, who who? Cause I really wanna know

I know there's a place you walked
Where love falls from the trees
My heart is like a broken cup
I only feel right on my knees
I spit out like a sewer hole
Yet still receive your kiss
How can I measure up to anyone now
After such a love as this

Well who are you?
Who are you? Who who, who who? Oh tell me who are you
Who are you? Who who, who who? Oh I really wanna know
Who are you? Who who, who who? Tell me tell me who are you
Who are you? Who who, who who? Come on, come on, who?
Who are you? Who who, who who? Oh who the f**k are you?
>>
>>44257516
>>44257623
>>44257647
>>44257693
>>44258018
>>44258032
a guy that did videos of old video games and has recently start talking about D&D, which he's played for decades.
>>
>>44258298
So what do we agree or disagree with in his videos?
>>
He recommended 3.5/PF so I was ready to toss it. Then when he made an offhand remark about how you COULD play 4e but he didn't know why you would into the trash it goes.

I don't really even like 4e that much. But it is a bit better than 3.5/PF to me.
>>
>>44258436
keep in mind, his audience are video gamers, not tabletop gamers. So OP would likely be a video gamer and would want to know if it's fine to follow this guys advice.

main points from latest video:
>be involved with party, rather than just spectate and roll dice when required
>describe what you're doing, more than just "I shoot my bow" *roll dice*
>don't make the 'Best' character, make an 'Interesting' character (talking about min/maxers)
>give character motivation. Even if it's just "Money" he suggest expanding on that, such as needing it for sick family
>don't just make the simplest choices. Instead of just stabbing your opponent, you could try flipping the table at him first. Drop the chandelier on it. Out of combat as well
>take notes? make map? low priority suggestion
>don't be That Guy. Examples include stealing everything, rob all council members, steal from players, lone wolf who sits in the corner and doesn't engage in conversations, rules lawyers
>don't think of the world working as a game. See cave with signs of Beholder? Well, the DM wouldn't put something so dangerous so early. I walk in the cave.
>don't actively try to avoid plot hooks
>relax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdC_uHqXQzs
>>
>>44258835
These are all VERY good pieces of advice for beginner players.

I don't know anything about this guy, but so far he seems okay. I'll have to watch some of them, then.
>>
>>44258835
All of these seem like good advices.
>>
Why does /v/ hate this guy again?
>>
>>44259282
/v/ needs a reason to hate?
>>
>>44259282
/v/ hates everything and everyone.
>>
>>44259312
>>44259317
good points
>>
I try to avoid projared. The few times I watch his videos, he just seems like a contrarian who pulls made up problems out of his ass to ding video games that are popular.

He's like Yahtzee without a gimmick and slightly less casual, basically.

Dunno how he is about table top, but I imagine he would be kind of a push over, "let the players get away with anything" freeform type shit.
>>
>>44259528
Meant to reply to: >>44259282
>>
>>44258835
YES
This video should be mandatory viewing for new players.

>>44258492
In his "getting started" video, he reccomends the 5e starter set.
>>
>>44259282
They're contrarian
He's pretty good, all things considered.
>>
ITT 50% discussion, 50% edgemasters asking who because they want to shame others for not agree with who to watch.
Keep on truckin' former 50%.
As for an actual response to Op, I like them, and I hope that it'll pull a new crowd.
>>
>>44260562
>edgemasters asking who
It's edgy to not know youtubers?
>>
>>44260562
I literally don't know who this guy is. Most of us don't follow YouTube celebrities you know.
>>
>>44260703
www.youtube.com/ProJared

If you like video games, he has some pretty humorous video game videos. My wife really loves his lets plays. But he's starting to do a thing called D&December. I'm not a big fan of the videos so far, but it's his first year doing it and I think he's just going over the basics this year.
>>
>>44260743
Well it can't be worse than the stuff Scott Kurtz does, right?
>>
>>44258835

...wait, is this the non-failed clone from the same stock as Spoony?

Or, well. The less-failed.
>>
>>44258070
I mean, there's a big difference between roleplaying and playing competitive games like Magic or Warhammer. You don't usually sit around telling stories about how your Llanowar Elves were raised by a kindly old druid, and how they struggled to learn how to channel green mana until a disaster brought out their latent power, or whatever. You just tap for green and play Giant Growth.

I can definitely understand why competitive tabletop game players might not "get" a game like D&D.
>>
>>44258225
Different guy pitching in his two cents,
I used to look down on LARP as well, but after a great deal of hesitation, I helped some people in my DnD group found an Amtgard chapter. And then we all slowly came to the realization that we'd be having more fun if we also roleplayed while playing Amtgard.

Same thing, you've just swapped out your dice and miniatures for a more firsthand representation of the battles.
>>
>>44257516
Shameless plug is both shameless and pathetic. I won't watch the videos now based purely on principle.
>>
>>44257516
pretty certain no one with a brain agrees with projared's anything
>>
>>44263281
Which of these >>44258835 do you not agree with?
>>
File: 1336832262239.jpg (170 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1336832262239.jpg
170 KB, 800x600
>>44257516
Who?

And probably not, about the only gaming commentator I watch is Spoony and that's because his nerdish ragings amuse me.
>>
>>44257516
He has a point about how slow level advancement was in old-school D&D. Aside from that he's not really making any arguments that can be agreed or disagreed with.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.