[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People keep telling me the doom scythe isn't worth it and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: latest.jpg (119 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
119 KB, 873x627
People keep telling me the doom scythe isn't worth it and is a bad choice

Are they right?
>>
>>44254362
It's called the Doom Scythe and its main gun is called the Death Ray. If that alone isn't enough to make you field one I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>44254362
>>
>>44254362
yes it is shit
>can only shoot from the front
>must pivot 90 degrees every time
>will take an extra 3 turns before hitting the same target again
>>
File: Tron_Lightcycles.jpg (64 KB, 597x276) Image search: [Google]
Tron_Lightcycles.jpg
64 KB, 597x276
>>44254606
>must pivot 90 degrees every time
So you're saying it's a light cycle?
>>
>>44254606
To be fair, you can probably shave that down to two turns given how fast the thing is. Plus, the tesla destructors make it a fantastic interceptor.
>>
>>44254606
You just described flyers.

Let OP take what he likes. Dont discourage people from fielding non-WAAC lists. This games playerbase needs to calm the fuck down with the min-maxing.
>>
>>44254596
I keked
>>
>>44254362
>>44254362
Semi-competitive Necron Overlord here. Doom Scythes are much better now for 3 reasons (forgive any mistakes I make regarding points costs).

1. The small blast is a much more reliable choice now than the random length line that the Death Ray used to be in the 5th edition codex. For extra lulz, the small blast can be used to target Flying Monstrous Creatures now, which is something that Necrons struggled against in the past. Laugh as you inflict instant death upon Daemon Princes with your str 10 skyfire blast template.

2. Night Scythes were their main competitor for the role of AA and vastly went up in price to 130 points. When you consider that you have to add in a min squad of Warriors or Immortals to unlock it as a dedicated transport, you are looking at spending 200+ points per Night Scythe when you could just spend about 160 for a Doom Scythe if you need AA.

3. The Doombringer Flight formation is really good if you desperately need to destroy a single target. Have one scythe shoot its load into said target and all other scythes that choose to shoot at it become BS6. Enjoy rarely scattering your Death Ray blasts!
>>
>>44257262
>2.

Aren't dedicated transports Fast Attack choices now?
>>
>>44257339
They are, but in order to use them as fast attack choices, you'd have to take a CAD. And who would seriously do that with Necrons? Besides, Fast Attack is where Wraiths and Tomb Blades are.
>>
>>44257262
Where did they errata that a blast weapons can hit a flying target? As far as I was aware, that wasn't possible. I appear to have missed something, because that could be quite useful.
>>
>>44257262
i would argue that the line was both more reliable and more effective, given you were in range of course, since it literally couldnt miss as long as it started within 3" of the target, while small blasts are universally despised for their innacuracy compared to regular weapons
>>
>>44261338
Blast weapons have always been able to hit a flying target.

However, they cannot be snapfired so you must have skyline to use them on a flying target.
>>
>>44261779
to quote the big rulebook, in the "Hard to Hit" section of the flyer rules:
"Template and Blast weapons, and any other attack that don't roll To Hit, cannot hit Zooming Flyers"

Which seems pretty clear to me, it's also entirely separate from the lines about Snap Shots.

So just reading the rule strait up to me at least says that (whether they have Skyfire or not), Blast and Template weapons do nothing to other flyers, ever.
>>
>>44261920
at least, not while they're Zooming. Hovering it's a different matter, as they're basically skimmers at that point.
>>
>>44254362
They're a fine choice, outside of competitive play where nothing can beat Eldar anyway. The switch to Small Blast from Line was bad, since it now can't hit Invisible enemies. They only have the same effectiveness against other flyers as Night Scythes, but that's not bad considering.

Broadly, it depends on your meta. If there are lots of tanks/artillary supported by aircraft (Imperial Gaurd?) in your meta, they might do work. In general, the Destroyer Cult is better though.

Mostly they work best allying in the Doombringer flight to provide some AA support to any other army that lacks it, like Skitari.
>>
>>44261779
>>44257262
>Blast weapons have always been able to hit a flying target.
I don't know who's been telling you this, but they're lying through their teeth.

If a Flyer of Flying MC is Zooming/Swooping, they can't be hit by blast weapons. If they're Hovering/Gliding they can, but thats because they stop behaving like a flyer and use the Skimmer/Jump rules.
>>
>>44261779
>>44261920
>>44261983

You are all incorrect. You cannot target flying vehicles with blast weapons due to Hard to Hit. End of story.

Flying monstrous creatures on the other hand are a different beast entirely. The FMC version of Hard To Hit is totally different from the Flying vehicle version as it lacks the line "Template and Blast weapons, and any other attack that don't roll To Hit, cannot hit Zooming Flyers". While shots fired from normal units must still snapshot at FMCs, units that have blasts and templates with Skyfire such as the Doom Scythe or Heldrake may use their templates against FMCs.

The FMCs cant be hit by any blasts and templates is an error that a lot of people didn't notice during the change from 6th to 7th edition.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.