[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Log Horizon TRPG general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14
File: Character_Slider.jpg (96 KB, 670x360) Image search: [Google]
Character_Slider.jpg
96 KB, 670x360
So a few days ago I had the pleasure of playing my first LHTRPG game.
Using what was translated as I don't have the book. I'd like to get it to see what wasn't translated, but until then, I'll have to make due.

So what do you guys think of the LHTRPG? What would you change or add? Any cool stories about it that you have or have heard?

My next comment will be homebrew discussion, and you can skip it if you want. If not, I'd apriciate the help.

Discuss.
>>
>>44229558
The hype is all gone.
>>
Oh, did they finally finish translating it?
>>
I haven't seen it myself, but wow would I be interested in playing it. I love Log Horizon.
>>
So yea. Like I said. Homebrew. It's kind of hard to do with the translated version, and I'd love the raw PDF, but if nobody has it, so be it.

So here's what I'm working on:
-Changing the Summoner class to contain actual summons. As of now the "summons" are just you doing something and gaining a tag. That's it. I'd like to change it so that it contains actual summons as pets, and make a limit depending on a skill you gain (the higher the SR the more summons you can have)

-Beastmaster class with a pet. It's a Weapon master. Probably gonna use the enemy stats as pets but make them able to level up.
-Warlord (Warrior). Thinking of something like a Battlemaster in 5e.
-Archmage (mage). No idea for this one.
-And a healer class that is as of yet undetermined.
-We don't have a 2 DEX race, a 2 POW race, or a race that allows you to put 2 in any stat you want. I'm thinking of making one a Spriggan (sue me, I'm a SAO fan).
-Making the subclasses relevant. I have no idea what the raw's make of them, but I'd like to get my hands on them to see

And lastly, making "cannon" for the EU server. This is probably the hardest, as you can literary step from one county to anohter and the culture is so radially different.
I'm thinking of making Italy Roman-themed, Greece ancient Greek-themed, and make the rest mideval Europe themed.
With the exception of the Balkan and ex-Yugoslavia, where it would be more wilderness, few outposts, a lot of forests and hills, and mountains. And elves killing themselves in the mountains and the forests.

Toughts? Help?
>>
>>44229629
Not yet. Why I want the raw. To be able to translate parts of it myself.

>>44229659
It's pretty cool, but the translation is really bad and I would either wait for the official translation to come out or for it to be completely fantranslated.
>>
>>44229692
>official translation
There's gonna be an official translation? Or is that one of those "Oh yeah, it's totally happening, trust us!" things like the Tsukihime remake?
>>
>>44229706
I've heard rumors, but don't get your hopes up.
>>
>>44229558
Me and my group planned to play a game of this, but it never panned out, though we did demo an encounter in the system. It is a weird system, that has more depth than it originally seems. There are definitely some interesting builds that can be a lot more effective than one might think. A guardian with a bow for example? Probably the best tank in the game. Also, bards are pretty much the best class from a "this makes the entire party better" standpoint.
>>
>>44229728
Really? Didn't play with a Bard yet. I usually play as a support, so Kannagi and Bards are right up my ally. I guess next time I'll play a Bard.

I was DMing and we had two Swashbucklers (oh boy), a Samurai, and a Kannagi. The two Swashbucklers just kept stacking persuit. Massive damage.

You got any other cool builds?
>>
>>44229845

As I recall, throwing weapon style (juggler?) was oddly effective for swashbucklers. I'll see if I can uncover the assorted character sheets that were made.

I remember samurai and summoners being hot garbage though.
>>
>>44229917
From my experience the Samurai is reliant on the other players. The whole thing is pulling aggro for others. Hell, he'd almost have died if it weren't from the Kannagi's shield and heals.
Maybe a counter quickdraw, Soujiro-style Samurai would be effective?

Also yea. Summoners suck. Is why I want to rework them to actually have summons.
>>
>>44229965

From what I remember, Samurai were unfortunately, just worse tanks in ever single way than the guardian, while not having enough damage capabilities to make up for it. But yeah, summoners were the most disappointing.

Kanagi was pretty great as I recall, though, and doesn't even really require any specialized builds to be effective.
>>
File: best lh girl.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
best lh girl.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>44229558
>So what do you guys think of the LHTRPG?
Hate is cool. Really really cool. One of the most interesting mechanics I've seen in an RPG in a while.

Beyond that, though, it's too 4E inspired (most of the crunch is bound up in a laundry list of combat abilities), the wording is painfully mechanical and immersion-killing, and the book could have used more art, regardless of the fact that the rest of the franchise has tons of visuals (though the amount of money saved by skimping on art meant I didn't have to pay out the nose for a game I don't really care for, so I guess that's nice).
>>
File: database.gif (2 MB, 208x186) Image search: [Google]
database.gif
2 MB, 208x186
>>44230012

>girl
>>
>>44229995
Fair enough I guess.
The Kannagi are one of my faves DESU.

>>44230012
I'll agree with that. Though I do not hate 4e (let's not make this into a edition war thread), I'll agree that it's much MUCH easier to play with a grid.
Though the wording really depends on you. At first I'll agree, as the majority of the players were checking their skills every turn, but after a while they rememberred them and started roleplaying out the attacks and what not, so it became more imersive. It really depends on what you can remember and how comfortable you are roleplaying it. At least in my very limited experience.
>>
File: Best Girl's new robot hand.jpg (153 KB, 1280x1398) Image search: [Google]
Best Girl's new robot hand.jpg
153 KB, 1280x1398
>>44229728
>bards are pretty much the best class from a "this makes the entire party better" standpoint
Fitting, considering that Best Girl and Best Scrub Girl are both Bards.
>>
>>44230012

In all fairness, it is literally trying to replicate MMO combat.
>>
File: story23b.gif (11 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
story23b.gif
11 KB, 600x450
>>44229672
>(sue me, I'm a SAO fan)
Anon, i can understand being defensive for the things you like, but in this case i can only muster a long, sorrowful gaze.
>>
>>44230671
Hey. Never said SAO is great. Never even said it's good. Hell, it's probably one of the worst anime/LN's I've seen in a long, LONG time.
I just like it for some reason. Maybe it's Kirito's over the top competance.
Probably it's BECASUE it sucks.
It's the same thing with people liking The Room.
>>
>>44230807

So, sort of like daytime television?
>>
File: Crusty adjusts his glasses.gif (573 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
Crusty adjusts his glasses.gif
573 KB, 450x253
>>44230072
I laughed at that gif way more than I should have.
>>
File: database3.gif (752 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
database3.gif
752 KB, 480x270
>>44232126

I have so many of these, anon.
>>
File: database4.gif (563 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
database4.gif
563 KB, 500x280
>>44232172

So many
>>
File: database5.gif (930 KB, 366x206) Image search: [Google]
database5.gif
930 KB, 366x206
>>44232197

I can do this all day
>>
File: database 6.gif (986 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
database 6.gif
986 KB, 800x450
>>44232236

And by all day I mean this is the last one.
>>
Bump.

>>44231893
Pretty much yea.

>>44232126
Love this gif.
>>
Season 3 when?
>>
>>44230072
In-game she's a girl, at least.
>>
>>44232883
Probably not for awhile as they caught up with the light novels with S2. Since then only one LN has came out.
>>
Did the LH quests actually end or just go on permanent hiatus? I don't have the patience to read quests.
>>
>>44232883

Never ever. The second season wasn't received very well. And this was after they switched to another studio to cut down on costs after the first season.
>>
>>44233207
Life is suffering.
>>
>>44232883
>>44233022
>>44233207
>>44233240
To add to the laundry list of reasons a S3 is unlikely, the author's still in a bit of trouble with the Japanese government over taxes.
>>
File: Loss in Thought.png (52 KB, 346x360) Image search: [Google]
Loss in Thought.png
52 KB, 346x360
>>44229965
>Summoners
>don't have summons
wat
>>
>>44233657
Weirdest shit ever, I know. Is why I want to rework them actually.
>>
>>44233207
>The second season wasn't received very well
Probably because Deen is, well, Deen.
Satelight didn't set the bar super high on animation quality, but Deen still failed to meet it.
>>
>>44230118
Well, I can guess what HER favorite anime is.
>>
>>44234466

It doesn't help that they managed to have a season in which a grand total of nothing was accomplished, and most of the good characters were off screen for the majority of the season's episodes.
>>
>>44234528
Also, Marielle's hair.
Yes, I KNOW the deen version is technically closer to the LN illustrations, but in full color and moving it just looks like she never washes it.
>>
>>44229692
I thinks lots of Monster Info hasn't been translate.

Also there a lots of infomation/QA/Extra stuff on the blog too.
>>
>>44234606
Monsters, subclasses and their abilities. But yea. The majority of the QA and extra stuff that came out (specifically for the subclasses) wasn't yet translated.
Sadly I can't really get them. If anybody has the stuff do post them here, and I'll tryo to getit translated. At least sooner than the oksub guys are doing it.
>>
>>44234528
As much shit as S2 got, I did like seeing a raid in progress. The Christmas murder mystery was shit though. The B-cast adventures weren't that good either outside of fluffing other shit going on in the background.
>>
>>44229917
>>44229965
It been awhile since I played but isn't Summoner pretty good because of tag inheritance? For example

Set up : Summon Salamancer : 5 Direct Damage
Intiative : Summon Undine : 5 Direct Damage

Main Process : Minor > Enhance Code

Move > Elemental Bolt (at least 5 direct damage)

Major > Elemental Blast (get SRx5 damage bonus from Undine and SRx3 damage bonus from Enhance Code) or Banshee (for mobs)
>>
>>44233603
That was resolved about the same time the article was posted. The author is not currently in trouble.
>>
>>44234528
The only redeeming factors in S2 were Roe2 and Kanami
>>
>>44234920
I don't think Elemental blast has either the cold or fire tag, but I just might be wrong.
Also, even if it isn't that bad, you still don't summon stuff so really, it isn't a "summoner" now is it? It's just... Um... Booster.
>>
>>44233657
LHRPG is a pretty abstract system, the strength of a summon depends on its summoner, you can only have one summon out at once, and summoners don't fight at the same time as their summons. So in mechanical terms a summon just gives you extra abilities.
>>
>>44232883
When Mamare Touno learns how the Fuck to pay his taxes.
>>
>>44237675
That whole thing was way less serious than the story made it seem. By the time it came out, he'd already fixed it.

IIRC it was some obscure tax law which only applies to people who make large amounts of money through avenues that are normally unprofitable. I remember ZUN tweeted about how surprised he was when he found out he'd have to tell the government about every time he sold random stuff at cons.
>>
>>44235296
There is a tag inheritance system. I don't thinks they translate it, but it's in pg. 40 of the rule book.

Your attack can inherit your tag (but you can only put 1 at a time).
>>
>>44239880
Ah, OK. No, I it wasn't translated. I really wish I had the raw rulebook.
>>
> Playing Bow Guardian
> Spam Onslaught with Mighty Bow Style
So much hate.. but so worth it..
>>
Hey, so I noticed some people are looking for the raws?

PDF scan here
https://mega.nz/#!dFpEDJoI!UD2vj7XzECHj4hURbme4v8-DHNc8J1vBHaZIRWe2vok
>>
>>44230012
...Everything you just said makes me want it more
>>
Has the translation project progressed at all?
>>
Thanks for reminding me of the terrible Yuropoor Server fanfiction I was writing and will probably never finish.
>>
>>44244853
Also, if you're going to be translating stuff, how about translating the Celdessia Chronicles?

http://tounomamare.com/
>>
>>44229558
Is "Log Horizon" some sort of nip misinterpretation/mistranslation of "Lost Horizon"?
>>
>>44247179
No, it's just two random words combined

Logbook Horizon would be a better name in my opinion though
>>
Every time I've tried to run it somebody always tries to make guns. It's exasperating.
>>
>>44244853
Thank you kind sir. You are a gentlemen and a scholar.

>>44246938
Nope. Still at v0.3

>>44247073
I'll try. Can't promise anything, but I'll try. My Japanese kind of sucks to be honest.

>>44248819
Just say that guns would require way more than they can get, and tell them that they can make it, but have to collect MASSIVE amounts of materials. They will go out of their way to do so.
They make guns session 10+ in, and you tell them "Congrats. You made guns. Now all you need is a way to make bullets and gunpowder."
That is, sulfur+saltpeter+charchoal, mix in the correct way (you'll have to let them guess and not give it to them).
Now if they go trough all the trouble of doing that in 30+ sessions, they deserve it. Make it like a stronger bow with 6 ammunitions (let's not go into the technology needed to produce anything except Colts) that deal sometihing like three times bow damage and kill non-bosses automatically on crits, but if you crit fail the gun explodes and you are severely impaded for a few sessions. Unless you die. But don't tel them that second part.
>>
>>44250411
Actually, Mamare said on the subject of guns that players are able to make them, but the level requirements to equip them are too much.

Which then brought up reams of discussions from disgruntled fa/tg/uys trying to weasel word it by saying "well what if you make it and tie string around the trigger so you don't have to equip it?" when Marmalade was just trying to say "guys, it's not happening".
>>
A question for the lorenerds possibly present in this thread.
So, on the western servers the equivalent to Samurai was... Pirate, if memory serves, right?
What about if a player started on the Jap servers, but his job winds up causing him to move overseas, let's say to America? And he got a server transfer done on his character so he could have a half decent connection to the server.
Would his character still be a Samurai, or would it get switched over to Pirate, and all his stats and gear converted to the Pirate equivalents?
Do the classes actually play the same, or are they two completely different classes that just happen to have the same spot in the roster on different servers?
>>
>>44230012
>>44230119
This
You don't get any deeper plot hooks than your average mmo.
I never played it, but from read I seems to me that the merits of level up is far too great to use your ticket for anything else.
Am I wrong with my assumption?
>>
File: AlternativeClassloghorizon.png (89 KB, 1549x390) Image search: [Google]
AlternativeClassloghorizon.png
89 KB, 1549x390
>>44252215
In the case of a full server transfer, his character would be a Pirate instead of a Samurai; stats and gear would remain the same. Samurai and Pirate are functionally the same and are merely re-skins of one another.

I'm speaking out my ass about this, so take that with a grain of salt. The next part is actually true though.

The only reason some classes were given alternate names on foreign servers was due to the fanbase pressuring Mamare into doing so, which is why we got something as ridiculous as Pirate (when we've already got the Swashbuckler, which covers that area thematically) to cover Samurai. Personally, I would have been fine with the classes being the same worldwide (Elder Tale being a Japanese game, after all), but apparently everybody wants to be a special snowflake and have their culture represented. In-universe, the justification is that different servers were handled by different localization companies, which decided to translate names and abilities differently.
>>
File: LH_regional_classes.gif (80 KB, 1549x390) Image search: [Google]
LH_regional_classes.gif
80 KB, 1549x390
>>44252215
He'd still be a Samurai. There's Pirate-exclusive equipment that Samurai can't use, and vice versa, but Samurai and Pirates have the same stats with different visuals.

IIRC it's possible for characters to just travel between servers in-game.
>>
>>44252406
>Viking
>Skald
I guarantee you the North American server is FLOODED with Vikaboos who found workarounds to get them.
>>
>>44252406
Elder Tale is an American game, and Samurai was always mentioned as being a localised version of another class.
>>
File: 1416884183221.png (323 KB, 457x704) Image search: [Google]
1416884183221.png
323 KB, 457x704
>>44252406
>>44252413
>western Europe
>Templar instead of Cleric
>>
>>44252576
Mamare put up a poll where people could suggest classes. Blame 4chan.
>>
>>44252739
That would explain Hussar. Not that I'm complaining.
>>
>>44252576
There was a significant number of North American voters who wanted to replace their version of Guardian with Lumberjack. Mamare wasn't even sure what to say to that.
>>
>>44252739
I know. It is still stupid.
>>
>>44252888
>not Miner
>not letting everybody know you don't give no lip to Big John
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWKGhwwVgKY
>>
>>44252888
>>44253068
Honestly, if we had to I would have replaced Pirate with Conquistador, since they're pretty much the only heavy-armor users we've had in NA and it'd be distinct from Swashbuckler.
>>
>>44253121
*if I had to
>>
>>44253068
>not just playing Guardian
>not designing your character as the realistic version of a giga-nigga
>not grabbing the biggest two-handed hammer you can
>not driving the steel for a trans-continental railroad
>not being John Henry
>>
>>44253068
>>44253283
>entire guild of character styled after various folk heroes from the US on the North American server
>>
>>44253327
There aren't really that many, are there?

Off the top of my head:

Pecos Bill
Stormalong
Paul Bunyan (and Babe, if we're being techincal)
Johnny Appleseed
John Henry
>>
>>44253362
The thing is, most US folk heroes are exaggerated versions of real people.
Davy Crockett (king of the wild frontier), Daniel Boone, Molly Pitcher, Betsy Ross (Bard as fuck), Jim Bowie (Swashbuckler with knives, ALL OF THE KNIVES), Tecumseh (our very first "worthy enemy", and good god are we obsessed with finding those in damn near every war we've ever fought), and if we start using Civil War generals the list just gets fucking INSANE.
>>
>>44253608
>forgetting Peter Francisco, the Virginia Giant
>Six feet, Eight inches tall, 260 pounds of hard blacksmith muscle
>George Washington himself commissioned a fuckhuge two handed sword to be made for the man
>>
>>44253608
>>44253789
Mike Fink, definitely a Monk.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Fink
>>
>>44253608
>if we start using Civil War generals

Fucking Swamp Fox
>>
>>44253608
>>44253789
>>44253819
>>44253869
Abe Lincoln would be an incredibly charismatic (like, actual legitimate personal charisma, not anything stat related) and well read Monk with the Scribe subclass.
>>
>>44254022
Not necessarily. Remember, it's players that get transported. He'd probably be some autist like William Massachusetts that just snagged the Abe Lincoln name and roleplays as him.
>>
>>44253608
The Texian folk heroes should all split away and set about establishing The Republic of Texas as a thing again.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.