[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should a power plant that produces magical energy look like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
What should a power plant that produces magical energy look like?

Why does your fantasy setting not have power plants that produce magical energy?

In the real world, we make use of many of the world's natural features to make energy: wind, water, steam, heat, sunlight, rocks and fossils from the earth. Surely a fantasy setting could make similar use of the elements for renewable magical energy?
>>
>>44229305
Welp, that's another type of magic that's going into my kitchen sink setting. I think I'll call it Industricanum. Thanks OP.
>>
>>44229305
They're called waterfalls, volcanoes and whirlpools, OP.
>>
>>44229305
You put two philosophers covered in magnets into a sealed room. They begin arguing in circles so fast that it creates an electrical field, which is then converted through enchantments in the walls into magical energy.
>>
In the old homebrew setting my group often plays in, there is a dieselpunk dwarf/gnome analogue race that used to build powerplants that tapped directly into the planet's leylines to keep their underground cities lit and lively.

Real geothaumic power.

It all worked very well until a magical catastrophe on another continent sent an arcane surge through the leyline network that flooded the cities with ambient ley energies and exploded the powerplants like magic nukes.
>>
>>44229305
Large towers of rune-covered metal that slope skyward, drawing power down from the heavens.

Small altars in thick woods that draw energy from nature spirits and fey.

Furnaces and forges built deep into volcanoes, drawing power up from the heated depths.

All of these then funnel such power into crystals and orbs and other magic fantasy baubles. Perhaps nature altars sprout thick brambles of wood that can be taken elsewhere and used, perhaps the volcanic forges are used to store energy in weapons and intricate metalwork.
>>
File: listen well, precious.gif (1 MB, 500x256) Image search: [Google]
listen well, precious.gif
1 MB, 500x256
>>44229305
>Why does your fantasy setting not have power plants that produce magical energy?
Because in my setting magical energy comes from the Divine. It's like making a Jesus Power Generator.
>>
>>44229305
>Magical energy power plants
It's what gods turned into in my setting.

There are also humans, the only race able to produce magical energy of their own. This freaks all other races out. This is because they're invaders from the other dimension who forgot their original purpose.
>>
>>44230114
>spoiler
I meant HUMANS are, not the other races.
I'm dumb.
>>
>>44229305
>Why does your fantasy setting not have power plants that produce magical energy?

Because if you make magic infinite, easily available and more like a natural phenomenon your setting becomes retarded.
>>
>>44229305
>fossils
>used to make energy
Anon, we don't actually burn very old dinosaur bones to drive cars, that's a silly misconception. We actually use the refined form of very old phytoplankton thingies (usually).
>>
>>44230144
If you stop or heaven forbid DESTROY the plants, magic is going to not exist once whatever is currently available runs out, so obviously it isn't infinite... ESPECIALLY since they need generators to make the shit, now that I think about it
>>
>>44230097
>Jesus Power Generator

I see no problem with this.
>>
>>44230550
>I see no problem with this.
I do. Funding. The Atomic Lobby is too strong.
>>
>>44229305
Ever played FF7?
>>
>>44229305
Temples, cathedrals, etc
>>
>>44229305
Are you going to make me read trigun again OP?
>>
>>44229305
It sort of does, in that the right architecture and/or landscape design can turn a building or clearing into an artificial place of power, appropriate to working powerful magical rituals. This is still thought of more in terms of the sacred and mystical than the industrial and scientific, though, given the role of magic in the setting.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.