[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SOI Set Name Theories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 20
File: soi.png (248 KB, 262x408) Image search: [Google]
soi.png
248 KB, 262x408
What exactly does the "shadow" in Shadows Over Innistrad refer to? I've heard two main theories, and I'd love to hear others.

>Theory 1: Emrakul

>Evidence for
1. Name similarity to Lovecraft's story, "The Shadow over Innsmouth"
2. Emrakul hasn't been seen in months (in-universe time) and seems to have left Zendikar.
3. Innistrad had Halloween monsters, then undead hordes, then tons of demons. The next step up is cosmic horror.

>Evidence against
1. Name doesn't quite match. The set is called Shadows (plural) while the story is called Shadow (singular)
2. Kozilek hadn't been seen in months either, but it turns out here's still on Zendikar.
3. Since Wizards started building up their rogues gallery in Alara, they haven't used the same villains back to back.
4. Lovecraft also wrote gothic horror, which is Innistrad's theme. The Lovecraft reference might mean something other than Eldrazi.
5. The book isn't Lovecraft's best known work. The name could be a coincidence.

>Theory 2: Ob Nixilis

>Evidence for
1. He got his spark back at the end of BFZ's storyline, and immediately planeswalked elsewhere.
2. He's a demon, and fits with Innistrad's theme, arguably better than cosmic horror does.
3. Repeated appearances in Commander 2014, M15, and BFZ.

>Evidence against
1. As a demon warlord, why would he go invade a plane that has an organized, militaristic religion that's used to fighting demons? Avacyn would absolutely wreck his shit.
2. Ob is one guy, and not powerful enough to be a shadow over the whole plane by himself.
3. Ob plots revenge against Zendikar, specifically. Why would he give a shit about Innistrad?

Other stupid theories:

>Yawgmoth
He's dead. I know he was a literal shadowey cloud when we last saw him, but he's dead.

>Phyrexians
They came right after Eldrazi last time and already have a bunch of thematic overlap. There is currently no evidence that New Phyrexia has planar portal technology.

>Evil Sorin
He's already evil.

>Tibalt
He's a faggot.
>>
We won't know till we get there. I personally think it might be Bolas, cause fuck you that's why?
>>
Could also be some kind of internal issues. Some corruption of the heavenly host due to Avacyn's presence within the hell vault that she used to lock up scores of demons, vampires or ghoul callers discovering something to give them an upper hand over humanity, or an unforseen consequence of the Cursemute.
>>
>>44224870
Black/White corrupted Avacyn when?
>>
>>44224099
I think Phyrexians.

Watch the intro video. Corrupted feather hits stone icon, and the icon warps likebl it's alive.
>>
>>44225022
Doesn't look alive to me. Looks like it's being bent because something is bending it. But, I guess that's subjective.
>>
I'm saying that Maro was just dodging answers and we're actually getting a Kamigaea spirits invasion on Innistrad with the Oni corrupting Avacyn.

That's the theory I came up with at our last pub EDH night and I'm sticking with it.
>>
>>44225095
*Kamigawa
>>
>>44224809
>Bolas, cause fuck you that's why
That seems like the best answer. The Best dragon hasn't been evident lately.
>>
>>44225095
>Kamigawa spirits invasion on Innistrad with the Oni corrupting Avacyn
Oh God yes please give me this somehow

I know in all likelihood it's Emrakul but god damn I'd love a Kami/Oni invasion of Innistrad
>>
>>44225114
Bolas is responsible for the Eldrazi getting out of their cage, so technically the current block is part of his master plan.

Maybe he only did it to distract all the planeswalkers while he does something that would otherwise draw a bunch of attention?

>>44225095
How'd they get to another plane, though?
>>
>>44225185
>Kamigawan non-oni spirits working with Innistrad's humans to safe Avacyn and the other angels and defeat the newly arrived demons
>Gothic/Classical Japanese crossover designs

I'd give my firstborn.
>>
>>44225220
Ogre planeswalker went there, somehow dragged an oni attached to him with him and they opened the floodgates between their plains.

Fuck if i know or care. I was wasted when I came up with it and just know I want it to happen.
>>
>>44225230
>O-Kagachi actually gets a card
This erection ain't stopping soon

Also not all the non-Oni spirits. I would not want The Unspeakable or Myojin of Night's Reach on my side, they freak me the fuck out.
>>
>>44224099
>What exactly does the "shadow" in Shadows Over Innistrad refer to?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow_over_Innsmouth
>>
it WILL be Emrakul because she didn't get a card in Zendikar Block.

and wizards hates not doing shit like that, thematically, so it makes sense in their new "story matters" driven plots that it flows

Emrakul maybe follows Sorin's energy signature showing more intelligence than previously thought, for revenge.

Innistrad, its many factions being unable to band together like Zendikar's, probably falls prey to Emrakul and loses.
>>
if there were any beings that weren't old walkers that could collectively take on a Titan, it would be Innistrad Angels backed up by the planes Faith.
>>
>>44225308
As if killing them off would be hard to sell. Angels can always be set up as broken as fuck.
>>
>>44225220
Myojin of Night's Reach was known to planeswalk. I forget how and why, something to do with being a manifestation of black mana and somebody's mask.
>>
File: Tibalt Unleashed and Uncut.jpg (42 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Tibalt Unleashed and Uncut.jpg
42 KB, 375x523
>>44224099
>He's a faggot.
How dare you? He's undoubtedly the best planeswalker as far as lore, card mechanics and apeparance are concerned; you just can't handle such a handsome devil. Besides, haven't you seen the new spoilers? There's no way he's not a 4-of in every red deck (probably getting splashed in every other deck too).
>>
>>44224099
I seriously hope it's not emrakul, I've had enough eldrazi bullshit for a while
>>
>>44225481
Nah dude. Werewolves and vampires are quite a bit different than mana-eating, reality-destroying elder gods. Even with the faith they couldn't stand up to that shit
>>
>>44225095
Oh god I'm cumming
>>
>>44224099
It's obviously in reference to the lovecraft novella, used to imply the weird fiction atmosphere. Stop being so autistic.
>>
>>44226890
>Even with the faith they couldn't stand up to that shit
G-d's power knows no bounds.
>>
>>44225185
>in all likelihood it's Emrakul
I'd say that's actually pretty unlikely.
>>
>>44226890
>Not having the utmost faith in banging goth angel Jesus's ability.
>>
>>44224099
Emrakul invades. Blah blah angels, demons, and other creepy crawlies fighting against the horrible invaders. Then the Eldrazi get trapped in the moon.
>>
the conspiracy of avacyn being made by sorin as a way to meter the destruction of humans by monsters (rather than actually stop it) is likely to be the shadow, either involving or in parallel to sorin and nahiri's deal.

the shadow over innsmouth was about a city giving in to fish people in the name of prosperity and their lives. the shadow over innistrad will likely be about the people realizing that they've trusted their lives to angels who are not explicitly benevolent in their purpose.
>>
>>44225308
But O-Kogachi is dead and gone
>>
>>44224099
>3. Since Wizards started building up their rogues gallery in Alara, they haven't used the same villains back to back.
They literally just made a huge deal out of telling an ongoing story now, rather than a bunch of disconnected ones. That means continued arcs, which means the same villain.
>>
File: 1440508678034.jpg (61 KB, 600x884) Image search: [Google]
1440508678034.jpg
61 KB, 600x884
>>44227733
>planeswalkers
>all day
>everyday
>>
>>44224099
>Thinking that Wizards is actually clever enough to make a reference to Lovecraft on purpose
>>
>>44224099
It's a vampirized Nahiri.
>>
I would absolutely love if SOI was actually just a super toned down set that wasn't dealing with some world-destroying disaster. Just focus on Sorin dealing with a small personal problem (something to do with Nahiri maybe) while keeping Innistrad as a flavorful backdrop for the small character-driven story.

Oh who am I kidding, this is WotC. Innistrad is going to get eaten or blown up and some big stupid monster is going to show up and it'll all just reinforce why I hate modern WotC storytelling so much.
>>
File: Raven Man.jpg (79 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
Raven Man.jpg
79 KB, 750x450
Here's a spoiler for you.
>>
>>44227679

Well, the angels predate Avacyn, and are literally the only reason human life still exists on Innistrad.

The situation that required the eternal metering of human destruction was because the demons leaked information to desperate humans that they could make a potion from an angel's blood that would save them, which is where Innistrad vampires come from.

The angels ARE the good guys on Innistrad, it's just the one Sorin created for them to rally around is restricted because Sorin's unwilling to destroy his own kind rather than check them, even to save humanity from them.
>>
>corruped angels and Eldrazi on Innistrad
Gonna be honest here, I only made this thread so I could post this completed fic that was requested in a previous thread.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/5438699
>>
>>44230578
This art looks sweet, what is it supposed to spoil?
>>
>>44230578
>>44232241
If I remember things right, I think that's the first demon Lili made a pact with.
>>
>>44232328
According to the MTGS wiki it says that guy is the Raven Man and he knew Liliana's father. The guy isn't a demon, he's just a shapeshifting asshole.
>>
>>44224099

If wizards tries to stick the fucking eldrazi in another set I fucking quit.
>>
File: gJqN3xPZMg.png (22 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
gJqN3xPZMg.png
22 KB, 520x390
>>44231374
Christ
>>
I'm more intrigued to find out what mechanics are going to be in Innistrad. I strongly suspect double faced cards will be making a return, since they were such an iconic part of the original Innistrad (and there are currently dfc's in Standard already so hopefully players will already be familiar with how they work.)

I actually think flashback won't make a return, it has a strange interaction with the Process mechanic that I suspect Wizards might want to avoid.

My speculative guess is that in order to keep the graveyard themes there will be a return for Threshold.
>>
>>44233137
Maro has already said Threshold creates too much board complexity, also it has the same weird interaction with processors that flashback has
>>
>>44233257
Unearth?

I swear if we get fucking scavenge.
>>
>>44233257
Yeah, god forbid different mechanics actually interact with each other in ways that make your decisions mean something.
>>
>>44233530

I'd be all for decisions like that in Standard. However I can quite easily see the design team not wanting it to be a bad decision to process a card as that takes away some of the fun and purpose of cards people have put in their deck.

There's definitely going to be some sort of graveyard theme or interaction in SOI though.
>>
File: illuminati confirmed.png (2 MB, 1623x750) Image search: [Google]
illuminati confirmed.png
2 MB, 1623x750
>>44224099
Ob going over to innistrad to fuck with Sorin actually makes thematic sense. Ob is a sneaky snake who has extensive knowledge of hedrons, aka sealing magic, aka the way Avacyn got trapped before in the helvault. It doesn't seem like a stretch that he'd lock up avacyn before attempting to wreck shit. it is also suggested that as a powerful demon planeswalker, he's stronger than your average planeswalker. he woke up kozi in like one second, when the other 4 Planes walkers didn't even notice it. he's also stated as having dominion over countless realms, less since his millennium of absense. One last thing, in his Uncharted realms he stated two things:
>He regrets not being able to kill Nahiri as he assumes she is dead
>He loves irony
pic related
>>
>>44227211
>maybe if I dress like daddy, he'll notice me more.

so exactly how big are Avacyn's daddy issues?
>>
>>44233723
The only similarities are pale skin and white hair. Avacyn's facial features are completely different. Avacyn's skin isn't even actually white like the Kor.
>>
>>44233781
Big enough that all the newer angels made in her likeness unintentionally dress like her.
>>
nahiri is avacyn
>>
>>44233781
About an 8/8
>>
>>44233442
Were most likely to get Undying or Persist because not even Wizards would be retarded enough to use Scavenge again.
>>
>>44224099
>1. As a demon warlord, why would he go invade a plane that has an organized, militaristic religion that's used to fighting demons? Avacyn would absolutely wreck his shit.
Ob has blown up planes before, and has been known to have a pretty big ego. He might honestly just take the whole church thing as a challenge.
>3. Ob plots revenge against Zendikar, specifically. Why would he give a shit about Innistrad?
He got his revenge against Zendikar. The Eldrazi are currently having a pretty good time exploding it. That was good enough for him.

That said, I don't think it's Ob Nixilis.
>>
>>44232880
Roughly the reaction I was expecting.
>>
Ob goes to Innistrad to find Sorin so he can find Nahiri, the one who created the hedrons that sealed him on Zendikar, and kill her.

It's revealed something happened to Nahiri and the only way to save her was for Sorin to turn her into Avacyn.

Ob corrupts Avacyn, leading to her fighting Sorin. Sorin has to find someway to save Nahiri/Avacyn, otherwise he'll have to kill her, which will help doom both Zendikar and Innistrad.

Bonus points if Tamiyo shows up somewhere in the story.
>>
>>44225095
I would come back to the game for that.
>>
>>44232421
Theorized planeswalker
>>
What everybody wants: angel planeswalker
> Avacyn planeswalker
>>
File: 1439317333114.gif (2 MB, 200x173) Image search: [Google]
1439317333114.gif
2 MB, 200x173
>go back to look at the SoI teaser video to see if I missed anything
>the comments
>>
File: kL2UhIGIHQ_icon.jpg (237 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
kL2UhIGIHQ_icon.jpg
237 KB, 768x432
>>44224099
to be honest I feel the Emrakul one is more than likely because, in the trailer, the feather is seen turning into a more fleshy thing. It couldn't turn into blood outright and even if it did blood is a liquid and would fall apart. In a gelous solid state it'd leave behind residue but not bleed all over something. It would more than likely retain it's weight if not gain a slight amount, but considering the way it landed it might be more than likely it's matter changed entirely. Not only that, but everything around it started to fall apart after it's landing as well. The fleshy changes would also, more likely than not, cause things to just fall on the weight of itself due to their weight seeing how a kilogram is steel is heavier than a kilogram of feathers, because steel is heavier than feathers :^). If I had to guess, what might have happened is Avacyn's angels who located themselves at that no-name town defending themselves saw the entry of Emrakul into their plane, believing it to be a demonic structure to fight it unaware of what she truly is. Due to their foolishness, they all die and the town is left to melt into flesh under Emrakul's shadow.

I'm also basing this belief on pic related. From what it looks like, it seems as if Jace is looking into a vision of the past. In the image, angels are seen in flight, in a town that is slowly crumbling away with the same symbols of Avacyn melting away like in the trailer. Could it be Emrakul? Her brood?

The Nixilis theory seems all fine and dandy, considering he left another plane after supposedly wiping it out and heading to Zendikar. Getting his revenge and bailing for another plane is probably what he would do. I just don't see how that would warrant an entirely new expansion. He always felt like the Mr. Penguin type; Not Batman's main badguy, just one of them that happens to pop up every so often. If he even does anything, it'd be side plot worthy really.
>>
>>44236425

you vastly overestimate Ob's power.

Avacyn would wreck him, she wrecked STRONGER demons, him being a planeswalker doesn't mean shit since he's now a neo-walker.
>>
>>44237402
Ob finds whatever mystical doodad Sorin used to turn Nahiri into Avacyn and uses it to corrupt Avacyn.
>>
>>44237152

I feel like the angel feather thing is related to their backstory about vampires on innistrad. One of the last URs set there did mention a secret the new Lunarch is struggling with is knowing

>1. Vampires are humans who were transformed by drinking a potion created primarily by angel blood and demonic magic
>2. Avacyn isn't a normal angel, but was created by one of the vampires to force a stalemate so that humans and vampires are stuck with each other and the plane doesn't become unbalanced.

The fact that the angel feather turned to blood seems to suggest to me that angel blood being used to turn Sorin into a vampire in the first place might become important in this set.

It might not be about Emrakul or Ob. It might just be Edgar Markov fucking up even worse than last time.
>>
File: stf165_skaabs1.png (511 KB, 620x488) Image search: [Google]
stf165_skaabs1.png
511 KB, 620x488
>>44238402
Honestly I would prefer this. I would like to see some real evil Markovs. A whole family of them, but especially Edgar. Have him be a ghoulcaller, a skabaren, and a vampire all rolled into one. Grixis 4 lyfe.
>>
File: spoiler_season45142.jpg (431 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
spoiler_season45142.jpg
431 KB, 1920x1080
>>44224099
Uploading here because no other thread around
>>
>>44239119
I see your example targets are all from standard.
Why don't you show us what you could do with that in a format that actually matters
>>
>>44239206
This is what I get for trying being a good member of /tg/

This is just a screenshot of the video it was shown, stop being an format elitist ass
>>
File: Restore Balance.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Restore Balance.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>44239206
>>
File: Living End.jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Living End.jpg
34 KB, 223x310
>>44239258
>>44239206
>>
>>44239119
Looks great for EDH!
>>
>>44239257
Some people won't like the things that you like and sometimes they're going to be an absolute wanker about it. Don't feed the troll, you'll just drag everyone else into the shitstorm.
>>
>>44239301
>3 CMC or less
It's shit in EDH

Stop trying to force your stupid "everything is playable in EDH!" meme.
>>
>>44239301
All spells EDH very rarely cares about shit like that.

Goblin tribal MIGHT like it but only RB goblins, nothing else.
>>
>>44239119
But the real question is, "will it shut up all the snapcaster whiners?"
>>
>>44239463

I dunno.

People have pointed out that Snapcaster should have been a red card, not a blue one, and now the "red one" is observably much, much less powerful. Kinda seems like Blue rubbing Red's face in it some more.
>>
Can they really print a new Emrakul?

There's no way they'd print a new card at that power level. The only possible response from the fanbase is "oh... that's it?"
>>
>>44239529
>Much less powerful
I wouldn't say less powerful, less flexible sure but red doesn't get flash. The upside is you get to cast the card for free but it's kind of already built into the cost of the card. Plus it's a 4/4 with evasion instead of a 2/1
>>
>>44239463
>no flash
>3RR

it's shit
>>
>>44239586
>Red
>Flash
>>
>>44239675

Bogardan Hellkite
Bogardan Rager
Defender of Chaos
Dictate of the Twin Gods
Dualcaster Mage
Flaming Sword
Ghitu Fire
Ghitu Firebreathing
Hungering Yeti
Kumano's Blessing
Lightning Reflexes
Sulfur Elemental
Talons of Falkenrath
Uncontrollable Anger
Viashino Bladescout
>>
File: fleshwrither.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
fleshwrither.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>44233137
I'm still holding out for this

And riggers fucking maro god damn

>>44233781
She's spent a large majority of her existence inside the helvault getting molested by untold hordes of demons
>>
>>44239675
>Red
>shit

better?
>>
>>44239791
A bunch of cards from over 5 years ago, one card that requires you to have one of the two flash colors, one card that was part of a cycle with flash and one card from a supplemental product that doesn't matter. Good job.
>>
>>44239798
>More tutoring
Yeah, good luck with that
>>
>>44239791
>Bogardan Hellkite

;_;

I miss dragonstorm
>>
speaking of ridiculous MtG speculation, I heard totally unfounded rumours that Wizards is going to do a dinosaurs set

it reminded me of pic related; if they brought it back and introduced powerful enough cards using the mechanic to Modern, do you think it would effect the format's reliance on non basic lands?
>>
File: imperiosuar.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
imperiosuar.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>44239924

sorry, missed my image

(you probably already guessed what I meant)
>>
>>44225056
It's being bent because Emrakul's appearance is warping it.
>>
>>44239206
Sorry for the dumb question, but how does this interact with converge spells, or spells with X in their mana cost?
Does it just do fuck all?
>>
>>44240072
>X cost
X is zero.

>converge
Fuck all. It interacts with the converted mana cost, not any other abilities on the card. So unless the converge card costs 3 mana or less then you're sol
>>
>>44239938
Why would Wizards print cards that aren't conducive towards hyping $300 super rares?
>>
>>44239798
>large majority of her existence
We don't know exactly how long she was inside the Helvault, but she existed for a long time before it happened. I want to say it was hundreds of years but I can't find a source for a definite timeline.
>>
My theory:

Block will mainly be about resolving the Liliana/Garruk/Veil thing, so she can kinda join the gatewatch as the black mana representative

Also we'll find out what happened to Nahiri, if we don't by the end of gatewatch.

Plus Legendary Werewolf

"Everything is as I planned" - Nicol Bolas
>>
>>44238008
I don't think he could even turn her into an angel, for one.

seeing as how she would beat him in a fight.
>>
I hope they retcon that retarded angel va demon war bullshit they shilled at the end of the INN block. Utterly wrecked an otherwise thematically strong set.
>>
>>44225095
>reminder that thanks to Tamiyo or however it's spelled, Kamigawa has (presumidly) the most expansive catalog on inner planar knowledge in the multiverse all stored at its most prestigious library.
>>
>>44240132
Liliana still has two more demons to kill in order to get her soul back. She's not teaming up with anybody unless they're helping her accomplish that goal.
>>
>>44240437
I don't see why they have to, the URs set in Innistrad seen to have minimal demon presence and the zombies and vampires are less dangerous but still a threat to the humans.
And Avacyn has been weakened by the fact humans are in an equalish position.
>>
>>44236652
God knows Black could use a new face since WotC is floundering with their poster girl and they've gone BW for Sorin.
Damn shame since it was nice seeing black in a heroic role in that he was the most proactive save Gideon about repairing elf hitters fuckup.
>>
>>44240511
The trouble is Black basically can't be one of the good guys without having another color added to it.
>>
>>44240511

I still think Sorin should only be BW in regards to Innistrad. He's not doing good things for white reasons anywhere else in the multiverse.
>>
File: 1412294937914.jpg (87 KB, 400x553) Image search: [Google]
1412294937914.jpg
87 KB, 400x553
>>44240570
He helped get rid of the Eldrazi for the good of everyone in the multiverse.
>>
>>44233257
The problem with Threshold wasn't board complexity, it's that it was either On or Off with nothing in between and unlike something like Metalcraft, once it hit On it rarely turned Off again. Once you hit Threshold that was that, you had your perma-power boost, which made costing stuff wonky as hell, and the only way to turn it off was to either repeat exactly what Odyssey did and have Flashback, put in a mechanic that is explicitly unsynergetic with Threshold like Delve (which they just had), or just go balls-out on graveyard hate - which either doesn't get played due to being shit against anything other than Shutting Down Threshold, or shuts down threshold TOO well if it's a rider on otherwise good things.
>>
>>44240787

Well, yes.

Because the multiverse is where he keeps his stuff.

He saved existence because he's one of the people who lives in it, not because he gives a shit about the rest of them.
>>
>>44239436
hordeling outburst dragon fodder, krenko's commander, anger of the gods, massive raid, battle hymn, chaos warp, just off the top of my head for a krenko deck. Shit just the thought of horderling outburst twice with a coat of arms or obelisk of urd out is kinda scary.
>>
>>44240863
The Eldrazi weren't going to destroy the whole universe. As a Planeswalker Sorin is uniquely equipped to run away with them and/or let them be somebody else's problem. Liliana and Ob (both mono-black) also live in the universe and don't want to see everything destroyed, but they're happy to let the other dumb bastards deal with it.

When faced with the prospect of a fuckton of people being wiped out senselessly, Sorin sighs heavily and intervenes, grumbling about it he whole time. A mono-black planeswalker would either point and laugh, join in, or run away.
>>
>>44240951
*run away FROM them
Fuck my typing
>>
>>44240543
toshiro umezawa was bretty cool. There's a lot of mono-black super heroes too.
>>
>>44240951

Well, they're not OBLIGATED to be that narrow-minded.

Sorin, for example, can take the long view that if he doesn't help out now one day it'll be HIS house they randomly sit down on and start eating.

Lili wouldn't be in half the shit she's in if she took the long view of things like Sorin did, but she took too many shortcuts and is just now realizing she can't just slaughter her way out of this one.
>>
>>44241022
>she can't just slaughter her way out of this one
Two down.

[spoier]Two to go.
>>
File: Urza and The Raven Man.jpg (278 KB, 1318x1000) Image search: [Google]
Urza and The Raven Man.jpg
278 KB, 1318x1000
Is it just me, or does the Raven Man look worryingly like Urza?
>>
File: YesYESYESSSSSS.jpg (88 KB, 912x317) Image search: [Google]
YesYESYESSSSSS.jpg
88 KB, 912x317
>>44231374
By all the gods, my body wasn't ready
>>
>>44232241
>>44232328
>>44232421
The Raven Man is some kind of magic asshole, who has been manipulating Liliana forever. He was the one who gave her the knowledge to make the necromantic potion that killed her brother and triggered her spark, and has been stalking her for a while. He is yet to show any understandable motivations.

He's definately not one of the demons Liliana is hunting, because she met him far before that. He's likely got the ability to move between planes, but we don't know exactly how.

Liliana grew up on Dominaria, so >>44241950 is a definitive possibility. Perhaps a corrupted shadow.
>>
>>44224099
The book isn't Lovecraft's best known work

i disagree if not his best known work it is by far the most comenly known name even by people who dont know anything about the story itself
>>
>>44240072
You don't pay the mana cost, and in fact you CAN'T pay the mana cost. So X = 0 and Converge = 0 colours.
>>
>>44239119
It should have been

>XRR
>When ~ enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost X or less.
>>
>>44239463
it should have been a RR with flashback and when you do flashback you get two counters on the goblin.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
>>44239566
>red doesn't get flash.

wut
>>
>>44240132
dident they resolve shit with garruk in duels 2015

i dont know i never played the expansion
>>
>>44227211
Jesus Christ not looking at the arms or wings she looks like she's been fucking hanged
>>
>>44242217
flash isnt flashback m8
>>
>>44239119
>costs 5
Nah.
>>
>>44242298
its technically a 2 drop that clears the color cost for its flashback target, its just that cost shouldnt be in the cmc
>>
I bet it's gonna have something to do with the old Stromkirk sea god.
>>
>>44242306
>its technically a 2 drop that clears the color cost for its flashback target
If you're casting an exactly 3CMC spell, and it's only good for targeting non-reactive spells too.
If you cast anything lower than 3CMC off this though, you're wasting your 'value' of it.
If I wanted a 5CMC 4/4 that gave me 3CMC worth of value I'd just run Whisperwood Elemental and get a Grey Ogre from every one of my end steps.
>>
>>44242380
If it was designed properly it would have been a 2 drop that had flashback but wizards hates nice things In red. it doesnt need to be a snapcaster reprint but holy shit it doesnt need to just be all around worse than snapcaster
>>
>>44242402
It IS a 4/4, right?
That's not so bad then. Red gets the worst creatures, so this seems okay.
>>
>>44242418
It could have been 2/2 menace
give target spell in your graveyard up to 3 cmc flashback
When you cast an instant or sorcery you cast with flashback give NAME two +1/1 counters

There now its better and has free synergy with jace
>>
>>44242418
Red gets the worst creatures, and the least flexible spells. Truly suffering.
>>
>>44225095

On one hand that's stupid. On the other hand I would love to have Kamigawa back.
>>
>>44240511

If he's a shapeshifter then he's at least partially blue.
>>
>>44243070
Or hes retained some of his oldwalker abilities through black magic just like liliana did
>>
>>44225095
that theory would be more plausible if you were talking about onakke, ogre spirits residing in the chain veil.
>>
>>44242024
There's also the possibility that the Raven Man isn't a separate entity at all - that he's a hallucination of some sort, a part of Liliana's psyche manifesting itself because she's a crazy bitch.
He shows up on multiple planes, doesn't age - which if you'll remember took Liliana mulitple demonic contracts to get around), and only knows things that Liliana herself already knows closest thing to him knowing something she doesn't was when he first appeared, and that could well be her in self denial. He only seems to exist to push her to do things.
>>
>>44242402
Except then they'd also need a shitload more flashback cards in Oath, because they're not going to print just one.
>>
>>44233723
What if Avacyn is Sorin and Nahiri's child?
>>
>>44232421
>He's not a demon, just a shapeshifting asshole
Such is the way these things go.
>>
>>44240123
You haven't seen battle for zendikar? this shit will cost 0,1 after rotation
>>
>>44242024
>Perhaps a corrupted shadow.

Urza was such a huge fucking asshole that for hundreds of years after his death, his shadow lingers and continues to be a huge fucking asshole.
>>
>>44245347
Maybe yawgmoth made a dark urza when he stomped his shit in thats just kicking it around reality
>>
Was I the only person disappointed that Avacyn and Griselbrand didn't end up being two sides of the same card?

That would have been a way cooler reveal and would fit the duality theme real nicely.
>>
>>44245370
I'd love for shadow Urza to be the explanation, if only to start bringing in the more interesting things from Magic's past.
>>
File: BB_KyeArt_A_257295_14023645371.jpg (2 MB, 3533x2118) Image search: [Google]
BB_KyeArt_A_257295_14023645371.jpg
2 MB, 3533x2118
I'd want it to be Emrakul, because pic related as a set would be kick fucking ass
>>
>>44239924
>dinosaurs set
Dunno how much you could do with dinosaurs lore wise, but I'd be interested in seeing it
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.