[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>It's a PC with no goals, motivations, traits or quirks.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: unfrg.png (139 KB, 377x387) Image search: [Google]
unfrg.png
139 KB, 377x387
>It's a PC with no goals, motivations, traits or quirks.

If you're not going to roleplay, go play Diablo II
>>
>>44221090

>>PC loses a limb, immediately makes new character.

If you're not going to roleplay, go play Diablo II
>>
u mad bro
>>
File: trash.jpg (31 KB, 352x450) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
31 KB, 352x450
>>44221112

>PC loses a limb
>Offer them a prosthetic
>Offer them a magical replacement
>Offer them magical regeneration
>Tell them of the various ways their character can deal with this loss

>Nope, I'm rolling up a new character!
>>
>>44221112
>PC loses a weapon, immediately makes new character.

If you're not going to roleplay, go play Diablo III.
>>
>>44221090
>Cyberpunk setting
>The character was a machine developed specifically for the purpose of studying how the 'absolute normal' person with no pre-developed opinions handles specific situations, but was considered a failure.
>Dropped onto the street, would have died if not taken in by another PC so that they can live and come into their own, have their own opinions.
>>
>>44221090
>If you're not going to roleplay, go play Diablo II
Fuck you, I just got done playing it, you're not the boss of me.
>>
>>44221163

>playing Diablo 3

I'd rather kick a wasp nest than play Diablo 3
>>
>>44221090
>Player does not say a goddamn word until combat breaks out
>>
>>44221090
>Did you mean Diablo III?
>>
Hey, I'm new to the whole making characters thing, would you mind taking a look at a character backstory I wrote?
>>
>>44221256
Forever DM here.
Let's hear it.
>>
>>44221236
Do you have your other players doing shit? If so, what's your problem?
>>
>>44221169
>Corp used genemodding to create the most average people possible
>As infants, some were switched with normal babies of varying socioeconomic status
>Their development is tracked for research purposes
>Some wound up SINless somehow
>Corporate researchers are scrambling to find and start tracking them again
>Johnathan Doe, one of the average people, awakes one morning to find himself caught in a Hero's Journey story-structure
>He initially seeks a way to escape the structure, but gradually accepts his fate when a mentor teaches him to use his incredible averageness to evade capture and help others
>>
File: knite.jpg (97 KB, 615x800) Image search: [Google]
knite.jpg
97 KB, 615x800
>>44221262
Okay. Pic related btw, that's his image that I use on roll20.

To give some context, the game I'm a part of is DnD 5E, and the empire of Vasyria is the main power of the part of the world we're in. About a decade ago they moved into an archipelago of islands which had tribes of nomadic barbarians roaming freely, getting into wars over whose totem was larger, etc.

So Vasyria comes in, and starts establishing a new piece of the empire. A few barbarian tribes don't like that, and attack. They get stomped into the dirt, and they flee. Vasyria feared that another attack was imminent, so they start sending legions to the newly dubbed "Sunrise Isles" to protect their assets with a war on any of the barbarians on their particular island, and moving onto other islands to basically slaughter them all.

Ulksandr was a member of one such tribe, and his tribe happened to be one of the last that got attacked. At the tail end of their campaign, Vasyria had pretty much eliminated most of the indigenous tribesmen, shamans, pagans, etc. Though Ulksandr's tribe was quite adept in keeping away from death, their luck ran out the day that the Vasyrians caught up with them. Surrounded on all sides, the U'Di tribe was all but hopeless. Guy stood up to fight for his family, his kin, and ultimately... failed. He was but twelve at the time, and a Vasyrian myrmidon's shield bash knocked him out cold during the brunt of the fight.

How does it look so far?
>>
>>44221404
That's not a great start, but keep going.
Why are they willing to put so many resources into THIS guy?
>>
>>44221405
>Twelve year old tries to fight in a last stand against an empire
>Immediately rekt
Sounds about right. I like it, though, so far.
>>
>>44221405
>Knite
This pisses me off more than it should.
>>
>>44221404
>SINless
Remove Shadowrun. Acquire point-and-click.
>>
>>44221405
Probably more backstory than I have put into literally any character ever. That you are putting forth the effort is pretty cool.
>>
>>44221504
>Probably more backstory than I have put into literally any character ever.
How is that even possible. Are you just a shameless murderhobo?
>>
>>44221163

/r/ing that story of 3 PCs committing in character suicide because they got mugged.
>>
>>44221453
Alright, good. Glad you like it.

So Ulksandr wakes up on the battlefield after it was all over. There was only one member of the U'Di tribe left...

Hearing the sounds of the Vasyrians still in the area, Ulksandr stayed still. It wasn't too hard to pretend to be dead. What was difficult, however, was breathing. See, unbeknownst to most tribesmen up until about half way through the war was the fact that Vasyria was very lazy with body disposal. Vultures, after all, ate corpses, so why do anything with them besides pile them up? So Ulksandr found himself at what was probably the middle-center of the pile, with his fathers' lifeless eyes gazing emptily into his. Under paternal arms and above the last of his family, he waited, and waited, and waited for the Vasyrians to leave. And waited... and waited...

In reality it was only a few minutes after the pile had been made that the Vasyrian legion left. But Ulksandr waited for much, much longer than that. When he finally pulled himself out of the pile, Ulksandr almost passed out. Whether he was going to pass out from the sight of his family's bloodied corpses piled high, his sheer exhaustion, or his hunger and thirst, he knew he couldn't die here. the U'Di customs would need to be carried on. But U'Di customs were... not quite like the other tribes of the Sunrise Isles.
>>
>>44221603
>Sole survivor
Nobody was captured or nobody else survived? At all?
I find that a bit hard to take, but maybe the rest of it will carry.
Maybe someone had the same idea as him, but he didn't know because he waited too long?
>>
File: cavestory3.png (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
cavestory3.png
38 KB, 640x480
>>44221632
It could be that someone else got out. Ulksandr still has issues remembering that day clearly, and rarely if ever talks about it. When asked about it earlier by another PC he left out the whole 'bodies piled high' bit and just said that the Vasyrians let him live because he was a kid. The Vasyrians never let anyone live, I was surprised they didn't catch that.

Ulksandr wandered through the wilderness of his particular island in the archipelago, after quenching his hungers on the only source of food he had available to him. The Vasyrians looted everything, and he had no choice. The tribes of the Sunrise Isles often practiced cannibalism, but only in the cases of a revered and respected elder's death or desperate survival.

After the terrible deed, Ulksandr found the strength to search the island for a way to escape, but only found a Vasyrian Paladin who was holding the island until the bulk force came back. The Paladin spotted him, and though Ulksandr was easily chased down, he was not cut down. The Paladin saw an inner strength in the young U'Di, and offered Ulksandr a choice; Convert or Die.
>>
>>44221762
>Conquistador paladin played seriously
That's gold.
Keep going, what's their relationship at this point?
>>
File: allover.png (193 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
allover.png
193 KB, 400x400
>>44221795
The Paladin, Golfobe the Virtuous, was one of the most experienced of his legion. He had fought in most all of the campaigns on the Sunrise Isles, and his skill with a blade was uncanny. He had even gone into the deadlands, the area of the empire where no magic, no gods, and no demons held any power, and came out unscathed. Many saw him as near demigod status.

Ulksandr had a lot of trouble under Golfobe, however. The chivalrous and championesque paladin took to shaping Ulksandr as an ironworker would take to shaping weaponry, hammering away at Ulksandr until little to none of his original identity seemed to remain. Golfobe forced Ulksandr to supress the barbarian training that the U'Di gave him. He even forced Ulksandr to change his name to something in Common. Ulksandr didn't really know how Common names worked, so he went with something exceedingly - and horrendously - basic. Guy Strong. After all, he wanted to be a strong guy, yes? Golfobe was somewhat satisfied, though askance at the rather basic name, and it stuck. To this day, Ulksandr has never told anyone else his real name, perferring to just go by Guy since that's what he's gone as for so long.

Golfobe brought book of martial skill after martial skill for Ulksandr to study. Frequently Golfobe would do practice duels against Ulksandr to test his skills, and never did Ulksandr win. Golfobe began to grow increasingly frustrated in Ulksandr, as none of the paladin talents were becoming apparent. Day after day, year after year Ulksandr trained under Golfobe, with nothing but Ulksandr's strength and stature growing as the years waned.
>>
>>44221933
I'm still here.
Or are you done?
>>
>>44222110
I'm still here, just wasn't sure you were. The story itself is starting to wind down, maybe one/two posts left. Posting the next one in a sec
>>
File: guyisaguy.png (308 KB, 826x740) Image search: [Google]
guyisaguy.png
308 KB, 826x740
Frustrated with his apparent failure, Golfobe cast Ulksandr out, denouncing him as an unvirtuous, maladaptive barbarian who could never be retrained to live in society. So, Ulksandr took to the road. But that was when Guy's... actual paladin talents began to surface.

See, the U'Di tribe took the "respect the elders" aspect of tribal culture very seriously. Most of the other tribes didn't want to associate with the U'Di because of the lengths they went to to keep their ancestors around. Nothing short of necromancy kept their efforts unfocused. And even then... many of the tribe's shamans used to be able to bring the dead back, if briefly. Elders were resurrected throughout the ages, advising the tribes as the times changed. Unfortunately, these crafts died out within the last century, as the other tribes were getting very hostile towards the U'Di. This magic trait began to manifest itself as the product of Ulksandr's paladin powers. Rather than light and healing, Ulksandr's touch brought death, and his raised hand brought not the courage of his allies, but rather their undeath. This was the reason his talents never seemed to appear; to show this proficiency with death was to bring it upon himself.
>>
>>44222214
That paladin's swerve seemed sudden, but I could understand.
Oathbreaker powers... Not so much. Tastes too much like 'they hate me because I'm different'.
I'd have to see it in play to pass a real judgement, of course.
>>
>>44222255
They're not really Oathbreaker powers per say. It's Ulksandr's lineage that's causing these skills to manifest. I've been playing as a modified Oath of Ancients, mainly mixing the standard flavor with necromantic skills, but I digress.

Ulksandr came into the party after his most recent employer got a bit too greedy and ran ahead, only to be cut down by the tomb's resident skeletons. After ending the undeath of those skeletons, the party stumbled across Ulksandr taking a break nearby one of the coffins, pondering what to do. Seeing no other real ways out, Ulksandr joined the party to leave the tomb. As they left, the party's (rather shifty) mage offered him a deal: 30% of all of his own proceeds in gold and magic items would go to Guy if he would serve the party and, more importantly, the mage himself, as a personal bodyguard. Guy accepted the lucrative offer, and began to adventure with the party.

Ultimately Ulksandr wants to bring his customs back. To do this, he has decided to amass as much wealth as he can to build a city, become mayor of it, and begin teaching his tribe's more benign customs to pilgrims, slowly adding in the less... normal acts later. Currently he is with the party in hopes of both gaining gold and moving ever so closer to the Vasyrian capitol, where he can exact his revenge in person.

Okay. That's about the sum of what his story is. What do you think?
>>
>>44222341
He's not the brightest bulb in the box, is he?
Otherwise, I'll take it, even though a genuinely good person with powers regarded as questionable by others is a bit overplayed.
Where does he get his necro supplements, homebrew?
>>
>>44221090
>It's a PC with goals, motivations, traits and quirks

If you want to storygame, go play Neopets
>>
>>44222460

>not wanting me to narrative your times

This is the last time I play Neverwinter Nights with you
>>
>>44222440
Yeah, INT isn't really something that runs in the U'Di. Thankfully spellcasting can go off of CHA too.

He's not really good, more CN leaning good. Though he'll help out here and there he tries to keep to his own trade and himself as much as possible. He doesn't really open up very much, and just wants to survive and pass his cultures on, effectively resurrecting his tribe. He even got a pact of undying so that he would never have to rejoin his family in death.
Yeah, I homebrew a lot of his necro spells, kind of modifying them as needed to fit his paladin levels. Others are just a bit of refluff here and there for some of the ones in the book, like ensnaring strike being necrotic and instead having ancestral spirits grasping at the target.
>>
>>44222490
>NWN
>RP
>>
>>44222524
>Chaotic Neutral
I'd take it, but I'd expect you to play it solidly.
You betray the party for your own goals, you'd better be ready to write a new character.
>>
>>44222561
>You betray the party for your own goals, you'd better be ready to write a new character.
>not being prepared to let the players scheme against one another all campaign, ending in a glorious clusterfuck as everybody's plans go off at once
Shit
>>
>>44221090
i much prefer the ordinary person put into an extraordinary situation.

you can keep thragdar the fuckinator and all that hot mess tucked into your binder, thanks.
>>
>>44222561
Yeah that wouldn't be a thing, at least probably not. Unless the party were to suddenly turn full Vasyria supporters - they all kind of have their own beefs with them. Besides, Ulksandr's been in the merc business for a loooong time. He knows when a contract's about to go south. Gotta get that WIS, yo.
I'm glad you like him, put a lot more effort in his backstory than most my other characters. His seemed to be getting a bit dramatic to me, but I think it works well.
>>
>>44222594
Actually, that just simplifies character generation when you have a whole new party and dynamic to work with.
>>
>>44222595

It's one thing to be a mundane character that's a fish out of water.

It's a completely different one to have no goals or motivations, or even a personality to speak of.

I don't think you understand the difference.
>>
File: laughing-spiderman.jpg (53 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
laughing-spiderman.jpg
53 KB, 500x368
>>44221112
>suddenly remember the story about a player whose amputee character regrew his arm due to a regeneration spell got so bad that they fucking left
>>
>>44222649
You don't say that without posting links.
>>
>>44222649
POST LINK
>>
>>44221090
But anon, I'm playing a self-insert.
>>
File: bamcha.jpg (6 KB, 226x192) Image search: [Google]
bamcha.jpg
6 KB, 226x192
>>44222698
>what do you mean i can't play as myself with 21 int?
>>
>>44222708
Because this is Synnibarr, you have to roll it.
>>
>>44221090
>>44221112
But Diablo1 & 2 was fun with a great setting. Also there is no D3
>>
>>44222718
rolled stats are best stats
>>
>>44222708
>implying I have 21 INT
>implying I play INT-based classes
>implying I'm not playing a 1st-level Commoner
>>
>>44222737
when it's 1d20 each and the likelihood of your character being unplayable is very high?
>>
>>44222718
Hey guys, I'm going to be deviated from what we had planned a little bit this session. Also, I'm making a few houserules.
>>
>>44222755
>the only class worth playing
>>
File: hue.png (11 KB, 177x282) Image search: [Google]
hue.png
11 KB, 177x282
>>44222761
>I'm going to be deviated
>>
>>44222778
Yes, it's the players that do the deviating.
>>
>>44221112
I did this once
To be fair, it was the second session of a WFRP 2nd ed game, and I was playing a thief.
Plus it made sense IC to leave the band of crazy people after getting rekt by beastmen and greenskins, I suppose.
>>
>>44222765
>no spells
>NPC classes only
>Final Destination
>>
>>44222821
o shit
i mean
i main farmer bitch bring it
>>
>>44221236
>Trying to spice up combat with banter while under fire.
>'C'MON GUYS, HURRY IT UP.'
>Try to roleplay with another player outside of combat.
>'C'MON GUYS, STOP HOLDIN' BACK DA GAEM.'

Nigger it was a fucking two sentence fragments between the two of us, you can fuck right off.
>>
>>44221112

This depends heavily on the system. In a game like 3.5/pf, if a martial character loses an arm, they're pretty much disqualified from being useful at anything ever again.

You can't hurt things in combat--at least not anywhere near the extent where you could previously, some specialized builds aside. And if you weren't already using one of those builds, your stats and feats are probably fucked up to the point where even if you switch you can't do so effectively.

You can't be useful *outside* of combat, either. It's a class-based system. You're a martial. Even if you didn't absolutely dump your intellectual stats, they're still far too low to be able to go caster. And you can't be good socially either (for what that's worth in a system that hardly cares about social skills to begin with)--none of those skills are class abilities, and they all scale from stats you don't have.

If your typical D&D Fighter loses an arm he is effectively unable to be useful in any situation outside of non-mechanical roleplaying in that campaign (unless a replacement is made, in which case he's--what?--in time out until then?).

I honestly think that maiming a character like that is just something you don't do in D&D. Many systems are fine with it. Some aren't.

While I'm at it, I think that largely applies (again in 3.5/pf) to this Anon's statement as well: >>44221163

The game's built with the conceit that players are going to be re-investing pretty much all of their earnings into their gear. This is actually baked into the rules in the form of WBL factoring into CR for encounters. The game is *designed* around players having gear, which they are in turn expected to be spending pretty much all of their money on. Losing it can effectively set a character back several levels from the rest of the party. And if *everyone* loses their stuff, it just widens the gap between the classes that don't care (casters) and the classes who are rendered useless (martials). It's no-win.
>>
>>44222892
>classes that don't care (casters)
Like half the casters becomes Commoners if they lose their spellbook.

Also, dem material components.
>>
>>44221090
But I'm a person with no goals or motivations, and very few and unremarkable traits or quirks.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.