[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The DM provides his players with warm blankets and hot-chocolate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

Comfy DM thread?
>>
>>44214460
>Comfy DM thread?
What's supposed to actually go in this thread? Stories of GMs doing nice shit for their players? That would require players to be appreciative, which is seems unlikely.
>>
>Your character fall into a pit-trap and dies
>The DM gives you a hug

Is this ok?
>>
>>44214460
I own a cafe as part of a garden center.

My brothers group meet there every week. The tables are spacious. The chairs are comfy. There is hot chocolate, tea, coffee, bacon sandwiches and all manner of snacks and treats.

I tried to make it all good.

Then they took the piss and started bringing in their own food.

I feel pissed off and betrayed. Is this a normal feeling?

Also if they are going to be taking up half the cafe and not buying anything should I charge them for table space?
>>
Not a DM, but the player at whose place we gamed

>home-made cider
>beer glasses chilled in the freezer
>>
>>44214460
I would promptly expect/welcome a descent into utter outer-gods insanity.
Or a fluffy RP session while our heroes work out what's next.
>>
>>44214898
a) Yes.
Also I would do all the fucking dishes for that kind of food at a game.

b) ...huh. Tough one. Are they actually cause business problems? They should at minimum be cleaning up when they're done.
>>
>>44214460
>nearby place has these cookies
>chocolate chip cookie outside
>somehow with an oreo inside
>player brings two just for the DM (me) each session
>oh look, he starts with inspiration each game

He's also the group's best role player, so I don't feel too guilty about it.
>>
>>44214898
Yes.

Talk to your brother first.
>>
File: extraheretical.png (65 KB, 302x357) Image search: [Google]
extraheretical.png
65 KB, 302x357
>>44214898
That's not cool. Talk about it with your brother first, and if they're still ungrateful shits then you'll have to do something about it.
>>
File: 1350415260338.png (215 KB, 500x397) Image search: [Google]
1350415260338.png
215 KB, 500x397
>>44214939
>b) ...huh. Tough one. Are they actually cause business problems? They should at minimum be cleaning up when they're done.

Not at the moment.

Business is slow at the moment bar the Christmas trees and coal.

And they don't tidy up after themselves. Or if they do its a half arsed job.

My brother gives them lifts to the place. I've asked him not to stop off for snacks on the way but he doesn't make friends easily and is afraid of loosing them so they walk over him somewhat.

I just wanted to be helpful and now pic slightly related in how I feel.
>>

Thanks homo, now I'm even hotter. Enjoy my sweat.
>>
>>44214898

I'd charge $1 or $2 each, which can be used toward any order.
>>
>>44214898
You could maybe say "Hey guys, you're kind of taking advantage of me here. Could you maybe order something to compensate for the facilities? It wouldn't have to be much, just a little something."

Alternately, for a harder line you could go with something like "Hey man, we've been having issues with folks coming in with food from elsewhere and using the facilities without paying. I know you're my brother and that makes it different, but other people don't know that and it sets a bad example. Could you be discreet about the stuff you bring in, or maybe order something to make it look legit?"
>>
>>44214898
>I feel pissed off and betrayed. Is this a normal feeling?
One of the most human feelings around
>Also if they are going to be taking up half the cafe and not buying anything should I charge them for table space?
You tell them that this isn't their club house, and they need to buy something or leave.
>>
>>44215109
In that case tell him to tell them (as if the idea was his) that you've been having problems with folks using the place without buying anything, and that since he doesn't want the group to wear out their welcome, they should buy at least a little something each, even if it's just a drink.
>>
>>44215109
Make'em clean up, or meet somewhere else.

Sounds like your bro needs to get to the, often difficult to concretize, "I deserve to have decent people as friends" stage of friendliness.

They sound young. I remember being young enough to consider anyone who'd kill a few hours in my company a "friend," but I also can recall the satisfaction of moving past that stage. My trick was adopting some standards and finding my role, and fittingly RPG'ing is a damn solid place to do that.

I don't know your situation or location but if you can get anything like a supported Living Campaign (Pathfinder Society, D&D Encounters, Shadowrun Missions, etc) those are fantastic places to get plugged into a larger pool of players. These events are fairly easy to organize and host and will attract some number of people worth actually knowing and who'll ultimately make good contacts for a home game.
>>
File: 1446916097522.png (356 KB, 820x541) Image search: [Google]
1446916097522.png
356 KB, 820x541
>>44214939
>>44214983
>>44215027
>>44215175
>>44215180
>>44215247
>>44215254
Thank you. I just thought I should check before doing anything stupid.
>>
>>44215254
Or hell, you could just go over to them and tell them almost apologetically, "Hey guys, I'm happy to give you a place to game, but I've got a business to run, so you need to order at least a little something if you're going to hang here."
>>
>>44215274
Eh, people are wired to be a bit slack about things like this, and may not even consider the trouble it causes him. He just needs to have a quick, non-confrontational word with them about it.
>>
You know, if business is slow you could actually try to get more clients this way. A couple coffe shops in my (former) area did it, they stay open 1-2 evenings/week (till about midnight) and advertised it in gaming clubs and FLGS.

Entry fee of 2 euro a head (which gives a 2 euro voucher) and you cannot bring your own food-drinks.

They started off pretty slow, but in about one year those evenings became quite popular.

Basically it's an "gaming" evening, with people playing RPGs, boardgames, and console games (taking rounds on a PS3 provided by the cafe)
>>
>>44214898
If you have the capital, this >>44215411 is an absolutely amazing idea.

I mean, hell, you already have the kitchen and the space, it's not that much of a stretch to expand your menu to include group/party foods, maybe even buy a few copies of popular boardgames or what have you.
TGers would love having food options for gaming beyond "whatever candy bars and bottled soda the FLGS has, or running to the subway a block over"
>>
>>44215109
Here's a swag idea. Put the kibosh on outside food but give them a super token discount to make it seem like you really want them there, just like free drinks with a sandwich or something or 10% off.
>>
>>44214898
Yes it's normal

No, don't charge them for table space. Calmly explain that you like the guys and appreciate them coming but you are running a business so its all good if you guys are buying stuff but no outside food and drink at the café
>>
>>44215109
>loosing
There's no excuse for this. Sort your shit out faggot.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.