[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1407708472830.jpg (68 KB, 400x344) Image search: [Google]
1407708472830.jpg
68 KB, 400x344
Can we have a thread dedicated to Fate? I got to play it fairly recently, and as a former nay-sayer, I'm pretty impressed with it. It's a well built little game.
>>
>>44214329
Sure.

I was really excited to play FATE. Then I played it. Over a handful of sessions my DM never invoked an aspect of mine. I could only really punch things because I put that at the top of my pyramid since no one else took anything close to combat. We did not get our max fate points each session, sometimes it was 2-3 sessions before we would get points.

Game was still fun, and I had fun with the guys. But I was not impressed by FATE.
>>
>>44216040

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like your problem has nothing to do with the system and everything to do with the DM.
>>
>>44216066
It honestly might. But it's the only experience I have to go on. I'm not saying I wouldn't give the system another shot, but it really didn't wow me.

But I do think the pyramid thing was limiting my ability to do much non-combat. But maybe that was just me mis-remembering.
>>
>>44216040
You should definitely talk to your GM about this, because that's some bad running.
>>
>>44216119

Well generally the point is you get to be invoking your other aspects to help boost some of your other skills to more useful levels. Your DM can then hit you with compels to complicate things, but that also gives you more opportunities to invoke, and so on and so forth. It requires a lot of DM and Player back-and-forth participation, and it sounds like yours wasn't really doing that.
>>
>>44216040
You can propose self-compels, you know, right?

Also, even with Fight as your top skill, you should have been at least acceptably good at other things.
>>
>>44216395
>>44216312
So I should have been compelling complications myself? Sounds like it's also a me issue.
>>
It's my favorite system, but mentioning it throws /tg/ into autistic fits of rage just like GUMSHOE and Powered by the Apocalypse.

Not a whole lot to discuss, though. Rules are great. Conversion is easy. The recent Fate Worlds settings have been a little underwhelming. Horror is hard to do in the system.
>>
>>44216680
>ust like GUMSHOE
/tg/ hates GUMSHOE?

Sorry to be off topic.
>>
>>44216716
The D&D part of /tg/ throws huge autistic tantrums whenever it's reminded of particular kinds of systems, and while that bullshit is going on nobody else can get a word in.
>>
>>44216716

Shitposters always go on about how automatic discovery of clues is stupid and they never discuss any of the settings.

I've never had a decent discussion of Night's Black Agents, Call of Cthulhu fans seem to treat Trail like it fucked their mother, and the Delta Green threads have been awful whenever Fall of Delta Green gets mentioned.
>>
The Patreon settings are really fun. Eagle Eyes is my favorite; Roman detective noir gets my dick hard.

Similarly, there's a monthly Fate Codex with a quickstart setting in it. One of my favorites is a game about queer women in gritty crime stories (it's described as feminist noir-erotica), but I'm afraid /tg/ is too terrified of the whole SJW thing to enjoy anything that calls itself LGBT.
>>
>>44216902

What are the two detective settings called? I'm interested in either.
>>
>>44216623
It's one way to remedy the problem. Generally there should be a cooperative back and forth with the player and GM. That's not to say your GM wasn't fucking up, just to say that you weren't without options.
>>
>>44216040
>We did not get our max fate points each session
Am I misreading this? You should get a number of Fate points at the start of a session equal to your Refresh. That's like in the basics, your GM should have known about that.
>>
How well could Fate be used for an over-the-top Heavy Metal style ultraviolence oriented setting?
>>
>>44217504

Like I said, Eagle Eyes is the first, and is made by Evil Hat. They've also got Nitrate City (basically World of Darkness detectives) coming out sometime next year.

The queer ladies one is called Twilight Dames, and is in Magpie Games' Fate Codex Volume 1, Issue 5.

Both have monthly Patreon releases.
>>
Question for the thread: how often do you have fights to the death?

Or: how much do you use the Concede rules for NPCs?

I find re-occurring foes significantly easier to have the players engage with and to determine motivations\actions for, but of course if D.Whiplash turns up a third time after sinking the PC's plans twice they're going to go for the kill. So Conceding feels wrong as the whole point of the conflict is that it's to the death.

I try to find a balance between feeling enemies around long enough for enmity to arise and make sure that they meet their end in suitable dramatic and built-up circumstances.

>>44216395
>>44216623
Getting players to compel and use invokes for "making stuff true" is always the hardest as it encroaches on traditional GM-only territory.

As the usual GM I love playing in Fate as it gives me mechanics to suggest stuff without being that insufferable player who keeps trying to do the GM's job.

>>44217504
>>44216902
>>44216782
Why would you use an universal system for existing settings? A lot of the appeal of Fate to me is that you can apply it to any setting and get a solid pulp game. Then you can start tweaking the rules to change the tone. Building a world as you play, e.g. a character mentions some backstory element and its now canon, is one of the most enjoyable parts of RP to me.

I understand not everyone wants to worldbuild, but then you may as well use a system with rules tailored to the fluff. Or do these published settings have a bunch of rules to go with them too?
>>
>>44217626
Fate can do over-the-top, and ultraviolence is a matter of how much violence your group applies. To explain Fate's damage system:

Each player has a number of stress boxes that are expended by taking stress in a conflict. Stress is transitory and is cleared after a conflict. When your stress boxes are not enough, you start taking Consequences. These are aspect-like descriptors of damage you have taken, and need to be treated before they start fading.

Normally you have one mild, moderate and severe consequence slot (2, 4, and 6 stress respectively), but may also take a severe consequence (8 stress) which permanently alters one of your character aspects.

Character death is usually not on the table instead of other types of defeat - unless you want it to.
>>
>>44217771
>Or do these published settings have a bunch of rules to go with them too?

All of the ones Evil Hat makes do.

That said, I'd rather use an established setting that I already know well (I've run two awesome Eberron campaign in Fate) instead of having to build one from scratch. A lot of great settings are tethered to shitty rulesets, and Fate fixes that.
>>
>>44217771
As a GM, you always have the option of not having D.Whiplash to want to concede a conflict and play it out until Taken Out. And even if he concedes, getting captured is always one possible concession that gets demanded. Which pretty much removes the villain as recurring opponent... until the next jailbreak.
>>
So, if I get the right impression, the idea behind Fate is very similar to how the OSR fans describe their systems. You're supposed to improvise and use clever solutions to bypass problems, only there's a clearly codified mechanic for this purpose, right?
>>
>>44217854
I guess I just need to put my GM foot down more. I like to go with what the players want, even if it makes things more difficult for me down the line.

>>44217901
Yep.

And there's a unified set of mechanics for everything, consisting of four Actions. Combat is the same as diplomacy is the same as month-long overland travel.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.