[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone play D&D Attack Wing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: Attack Wing Collection.jpg (642 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
Attack Wing Collection.jpg
642 KB, 2048x1152
Anyone play D&D Attack Wing?
>>
>>44200235
How is the balance? Not sure I can trust Wizkids after how STAW came out after the Borg introduction.
>>
>>44200292

I haven't gotten to play much, but some of the higher-end dragons seem rediculous to me, having things like 10 health and 4 armor. The smaller units and dragons are much more fun to play with and against each other.
>>
>>44200235
I have a doubt. do I need to buy copies of the figs for, I don't know, do anything special? I mean I was planning on get just one of each "unique" unit. is that enough?

>>44200292
>>44200626
and how it looks Wizkids doesn't have a good reputation at handling the games they own...
>>
>>44200292
>STAW
Actually ST:AW is looking pretty good. It's biggest problem now is that it rapidly shed a ton of players and earned a bad reputation. They put out some rulings and list building guidelines that fixed most issues as well as some cards for the same.

It's pretty fun. Does beer&pretzel fun better than anything from GW.

Best homebrew of any game I've played too.

Just wish I could either get people to play or people would settle to sell for less than they bought into it. I'm really impressed prices have remained stable for used. Nobody wants it, no new players, but you can't get a bargin bin set either.
>>
>>44200960

I tend to get one of everything, but that's because I like the figures and I enjoy the having the cards I can use with them or other characters in the game.
>>
>>44200292
Borg got nerfed in a FAQ; they're no longer super OP. Tournament lists are all about minefield cheese and using Quark to put cards where they don't belong.
>>
>>44202434
>Tournament lists are all about minefield cheese
OK this never changed from the start, nor will it probably ever outside homebrew.

But Quark is really fun.
>>
>>44202434
>Borg got nerfed in a FAQ
Too little, too late. Typical WK.
>>
>>44203476
I agree that it came pretty late but considering that was almost a year ago and they've also released a ton of ships since then (including new torpedo mechanics) I'm still enjoying the game plenty.

It was mishandled to be sure but I would still recommend the game to trek friends.
>>
>>44202434
Honestly, I've never been crazy about using the dogfighting ruleset for ST. Would've been better with a capital ship set of rules.
>>
>>44203947
Capital ships in X-Wing? Same fucking "dog-fight" movement system. Larger templates shaped differently.

>Trek
>Capital ship fighting

TV Trek never had "capital ships" like you're thinking
You're thinking of StarfleetBattles Starfleet universe which is literally alternative reality Startrek remade to be somewhat more scientifically reasonable or at least respect inertia

TV?
They turn on a dime
Every episode is a serious of asspull ace-up-the-sleeve cards back and forth

Aside from sub-systems damage (which some abilities do), it's got TV Trek pretty well covered.
>>
>>44200235

Is this game expensive?
>>
>>44204433
About the same as X-Wing per ship. Don't expect serious tournaments though despite more prizes than X-Wing.

You run fewer ships though (2-4 generally for 100 pts) and can print off most resources/cards you might need.

Ships MSRP is 15$... not that great given the mediocre paint jobs and somewhat inconsistent scaling (even within keep all ships at a 15$ size). Of course you can get them for about 10.50$ at a lot of online places.

People bitched about tournament prize stuff... most of it is houserule to allow all, none, or some. All of it is available as print and play though so no issues there outside of buying the physical models.

Frankly you could buy just the starter and a few ships for the supplies you can't make, and print most everything else like X-Wing.

LOTS of fan content and homebrew. Like there was a whole thread on a bunch of expansions just for the Breen, all pretty good stuff. A couple other factions by the same guy. Then there's lots of rules tweaks and solo expansions.

You could probably buy in cheap if you can convince a butthurt ragequitter to sell you their stuff, but the prices have hardly budged despite all the moaning about the tournament scene.
>>
>>44204547
>>44204433
disregard, was talking about Star Trek Attack Wing

Not sure for D&D AW.
>>
>>44204547
>>44204564

Thanks anyway, valuable information.
>>
>>44204564
DnD AW costs a little bit more. $15-17 on average for each box, instead of $11-14.
>>
>>44204730
Question is how many boxes per game etc

Like is a box of 8 infantry about the same to field as one monster

STAW is pretty cut and dry in that regard aside from mixing cards from expansions
>>
>>44204658
most valuable information for ST:AW:
It's the least autistic Trek ship combat wargame out there that actually captures SPECIFICALLY the TV show episodes, and is the ONLY DS9 ships/characters wargame out there. Literally every ship even comes with a scenario or two based on the episode it was from even.

I consider it the ultimate beer&pretzel trek game overall, moreso than the boardgames or trivia stuff or the other Trek tabletop wargames.
>>
>>44204847
>actually captures SPECIFICALLY the TV show episodes, and is the ONLY DS9 ships/characters wargame out there. Literally every ship even comes with a scenario or two based on the episode it was from even.

...OK that is actually kind of a shame it's been so overlooked.
>>
>>44204798
The infantry boxes let you field anywhere from 1 to how many total come in it, with scaling costs and improving cards. A unit of 6 Hobgoblins is treated as one "model" and costs about as much as a single mid-sized beast or small dragon.

Somethings can also be up to 45+ points, when it comes to named versions of things, the worse offenders being the avatars of the drgon gods and ancient dragons, which go for 75-85 points each.
>>
>>44204984
70+ point models

these have the same problem as Borg?

The biggest design flaw in the game engine, even in X-Wing, is that ships tend to "pop" more often than they experience performance degradation. This can favor large ships depending on offensive coverage capabilities.
>>
>>44205093
Tiamat might be, she's a one-dragon army fully upgraded.

Unlike in ST:AW, shields are not just extra health points, they subtract damage that they suffer from an attack.

So Tiamat has Attack 6, Agility 0, 10 health points, and 3 armor. She can also take an upgrade that let's her take breath weapons that don't take slots. So you can equip her with enough so that she can make one each turn. Breath weapons work by choosing ground or air level, and then making an attack against each model within range and attack arc.

Bahamut and the other 70+ ancients are not as bad. They're bullet sponges, but not that much stronger as other, cheaper big hitters, and don't have access to over the top upgrades. They all have 10 health and 3-4 armor, but 0 agility and take up most of a standard force by themselves, so they have to take everything on the field to the face.
>>
>>44205202
Forgot to mention, her flight card is pretty narrow, though. The only turns she has are at speed 2, with banks at 1-3. If you can ground her, she's slogging, since its about the same, but without the straight speeds.
>>
File: D&D wave 5 (7).jpg (364 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
D&D wave 5 (7).jpg
364 KB, 800x600
This guy any good? Because muthafuckin undead dragons.
>>
>>44206677
His stats aren't out yet. Nice model though
>>
>>44207232

Actually, I own him.

>>44206677

He is very unmanueverable; we played a few games with just him against the shadow black dragon and the shadow black dragon was able to get around him every time. Through the use of the Acrobatic Amulet, which turns all red manuevers into white manuevers, he's a bit better to position.
>>
>>44208344
Yeah, looking at the legion builder, his stats are nice, but he's so damn expensive and slow. Especially the named version.
>>
I fucking love this game. Shame I have to trek miles to my not-so-local-FLGS to play it.

Playing the first demons scenario tomorrow, using a Solar Angel with Ebon Cloak, Shadow Black Dragon and Dwarven Ballista, since I had some points left over and I'm a scrub.
>>
You got me interested on the game. what should I pick to get started? and how is the balance/meta at this moment? are all figs required or I can pass some "worthless" figs?

also I don't know why but for some reason I'm a little bit worried since we are talking about Wizkids.
>>
>>44214978
All figs are not required. You only really need a few total, game levels are 120 or 200 pts., and the average point cost per unit is 30~ pts. without upgrades. The starter is the best place to start, since it has all the dice and templates you need, plus it comes with 3 dragons, 1 good and 2 evil.
>>
>>44217623
>2 evil and 1 good
nope, not biased at all.

goddamn, I can't believe someone else won me over a starter pack the other day. and here where I live, let me tell you. shit is not cheap at all.
>>
>>44218446
To be fair, its supposed to be a 3 player starter, like the ST:AW one.
>>
>>44213691
New to this game, does the Ebon Cloak make the creature evil-aligned?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.