[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
help me /tg/, youre my only hope.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: la-me-2011notables-randysavage.jpg (43 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
la-me-2011notables-randysavage.jpg
43 KB, 500x281
sup teeg,

I'm a long-time war gamer whose group is going to run a 5th ed. DND campaign. while I grew up reading dragonlance and forgotten realms and have played the vidya like baldurs gate 1 and 2, this will be my first time playing a PNP RPG.

I want to make a memorable, off the wall character and i'm not that concerned about being absolutely optimal, just not totally useless. basically im also a huge wrestling fan and want to make a character based off of pro wrestling and more specifically the macho man. yes it needs to be 5th ed dnd (im sure there are other systems that could handle it better). its just a group of friends so im sure I could change a few things in DM fiat if need be.

Im thinking some sort of monk/bard hybrid or maybe seeing if I could replace dex with cha for a monk, but this is my first rodeo so I don't really know the system that well to really flesh it out mechanically. maybe have some bard spells to represent promos and getting hyped up. I was also wondering is it possible in dnd to things like suplex people?

I know this is essentially a stat me thread but id really appreciate it if you guys who are more familiar with 5th ed DND to give me an idea on how to make this work mechanically.
>>
>>44195667
Short of choosing beast master rangers, you won't be useless mechanically.

Wrestlers are known for their strength and charisma. They put on as much of a show as they engage their muscles for combat.

Just choose a valor bard.
>>
>>44195955
thanks for your response, ohhhh yeahh!
>>
>>44195994
A Purple Knight Fighter could be good too. They use charisma for high persuasion and extend some of their powers to the group... which you could fluff as moves so awesome that they inspire your allies.
Or just go Totem Barbarian and put on a mask that represents your totem animal.
>>
>>44195667
>suplex peoples
Battlemaster Fighter has Superiority moves that trip, pin, provoke and do all sort of nasty effects, fluff them as stylish fighting moves and it should work.
>>44195955
>>44196071
Really any of those wolud do.
>>
>>44195955
>>44196071
>>44195955
if I did go with valor bard or the other options is it possible to still fight bare handed? or is a weapon and such necessary?
>>
>>44196191
Unfortunatley only the monks gives you bare handed damage, the most you can get otherwise is 1d4 via an underwhelming feat called Tavern Brawler. However, you could ask your GM to let you wear "fighting gauntlets" or something like that and count them as some sort of light weapon. If he refuses, take some weapon that would fit the theme, probably some Bludgeoning weapon.
>>
I don't know anything about the macho man, but if you wanna do some grappling, this might help: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468737-The-Grappler-s-Manual-%282-0%29-Grappling-in-5th-Edition
>>
File: 1291665625750.jpg (185 KB, 909x835) Image search: [Google]
1291665625750.jpg
185 KB, 909x835
Remember to refer to all healing potions as "Slim Jims".
>>
>>44196758
why do people keep posting this cancer
>>
File: 1440971837846.jpg (191 KB, 1600x1584) Image search: [Google]
1440971837846.jpg
191 KB, 1600x1584
>>44196838
2/10
>>
File: yea fuckin right.jpg (158 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
yea fuckin right.jpg
158 KB, 1200x900
>>44196838
>Los Tiburon
>cancer
>ishiggy diggy doo
>>
>>44196600
Thanks this helped immensely
>>
>>44195667
>while I grew up reading dragonlance and forgotten realms and have played the vidya like baldurs gate 1 and 2, this will be my first time playing a PNP RPG.
>I want to make a memorable, off the wall character
Prepare to be sorely disappointed. That's not to say that everyone who plays 5e will be disappointed, but you will. 5e is not designed to emulate fantasy genre tropes. 5e is meant to emulate "classic fantasy TTRPG" genre tropes as defined by people who started playing TTRPG with 3e and 2e (hey, they make up the largest market share, so pleasing them is a strong choice.)

Other games emulate the fantasy-in-media genre much better. 5e is more of a game about creating a living breathing fantasy world that moves around the characters, totally independent of them, without particularly caring about them until they decide to do something, and then having no investment in their "destiny." (essentially, the sort of game that 75% of /tg/ proports to be their favorite game.)

You aren't going to be Drizzt Do'urden, or the Heroes of The Lance, or The Fellowship of The Ring. You're more likely to be playing a group of gritty mercenaries trying to survive long enough to retire rich on treasure plundered from magical-deathtraps.

That's a fine and dandy sort of game to play, mind you, and one that defined a sub-genre in itself, but if you're a fan of fantasy media, and haven't played TTRPG before, there's going to be a bit of a culture shock upon first exposure.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.