[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever gotten anything /tg/ related for christmas or whatever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: dice tower.jpg (20 KB, 450x530) Image search: [Google]
dice tower.jpg
20 KB, 450x530
Have you ever gotten anything /tg/ related for christmas or whatever the other ones are? What was it?
>>
>>44179852
My family routinely gets me board games for christmas.

Last year it was Galaxy Trucker, with the first Big expansion.
>>
>>44179852
My freinds and family know about my /tg/ hobbies so pretty much every event i get something. Usually some warhammer or xwing or boardgames.
>>
My parents bought me and my older bro Gorkamorka when we were little.

It was sweet.
>>
>>44179852
My friends usually get me splatbooks for DnD and Gurps. Last year I even got some Rifts books.
>>
my family has an agreement you either ask what the other person would want directly or just give cash/gift cards
>>
>>44179852
Catan from my brother in law. I'm giving him Axis and Allies this year.
>>
File: tfw.jpg (144 KB, 469x1241) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
144 KB, 469x1241
>>44181237
Same here.
>be 13, 14 years old
>get into D&D with some new friends from HS
>"It's ok, Anon, you can borrow our dice until you get your own."
>No car, closest FLGS too far to bike
>don't want to be the eternal scrub, only guy at the table to not have dice, etc.
>bite the bullet and put "polyhedral dice" on Christmas list
>"Anon, what are polyhedral dice?"
>"They're dice of different shapes. Like, you know, like, not cubes."
>"What... are they for?"
>Blush. "They're for, uh, you know...games. For when I go to Joey's."
>"Oh, all right then."
>Christmas day
>something rattles in my stocking, fuck yes
>a 7-piece from Chessex of translucent teal, p. legit, I'm gonna look so cool for everybody, can't wait to roll these bad boys...
>Dad leans in with a big smile on his face. "So, Anon, are you finally going to explain what these are for?"
>panic
>Entire family is looking at me, at least one of my sisters is giggling under her breath. Look at the ground and clutch the box tightly in my hand.
>"Uh... it's for... y-you know... ᵈᵘᶰᵍᵉᵒᶰˢ ᵃᶰᵈ ᵈʳᵃᵍᵒᶰˢ..."
>"Oh, I think I knew some guys in college who played that!"
>"Hey, Anon, that's cool!"
>unwrap the rest of the presents without further spaghetti,
>whenever I'm not wrapping I'm messing with my new dice, giddy with excitement the whole time
I don't even know why I thought it was such a big deal. There's just something magical about dice, I guess. I remember unveiling them at the next session we had after that and most people were just like "oh, cool." I was so proud of them, though.
>>
>>44181237
What a smart family. My friend does this stupid shit where he complains that cash is lazy, but then complains when hes out shopping that he can't find anything for someone he doesn't know how to shop for.
>>
Anyone know some dank LEGO dice tower schematics?

You reminded me, OP
>>
File: 1448742170355.jpg (21 KB, 408x352) Image search: [Google]
1448742170355.jpg
21 KB, 408x352
>>44181360
>getting into DnD at age 15
>put d20 on christmas list one year
>Dad asks "that's for dungeons and dragons, right?"
>Feelings of validation swells within me
>"Did you used to play DnD in high school too, dad?"
>Stern face reply "No, but I knew people who did. Your friend X's dad was one of them. Your uncle and I used to beat the shit out of them for LARPing on our property. DnD is fine and all, but there is a line that must never be crossed anon. Remember that."
>mfw
>>
>>44181503
Well come on, you don't go LARPing on someone else's property.

I've heard there is a bad ass version of larping where people use metal swords and armor and people always end up breaking bones and ribs by the end of it.
>>
>>44181503
>>Stern face reply "No, but I knew people who did. Your friend X's dad was one of them. Your uncle and I used to beat the shit out of them for LARPing on our property. DnD is fine and all, but there is a line that must never be crossed anon. Remember that."
Holy shit. Did he have some kind of fucking code for what was and wasn't OK in terms of pretending to be an elf, or was it just because they were on his property?
>>
>>44181531
It's a bit difference with a farmland. The only thing fun to do around here is trespass on cow fields.
>>44181546
Later I learned that my friend's dad was a big Tolkien nerd and played dnd in high school. He formed a LARPing group with his friends called the Order of Barbaric Warfare and would have battles in the woods and cornfields throughout the town. My dad thought it was stupid that they had a defined system of rules to combat despite being barbaric by name. My uncle used to be a sadistic asshole so I think he was just looking for an opportunity to fight.
My friend's dad is still a really mild mannered nerd and I feel a bit uncomfortable talking to him knowing that my uncle would dump his books on a regular basis.
>>
>>44179852
I got Catan for Christmas last year. First game was a hilarious mess.
We had eight people playing on six teams,and of the eight of us three had played before and zero were sober. The game took five hours to complete before I barely snatched the victory by using a trade route, an opponent desperate to build cities to make up for being walled into a corner, and a road building card to turn nearly a dozen sheep into five roads, putting my glorious highway two sections ahead of the team that'd held Longest Road all game. Shit was great, I made meatbread, it actually turned out pretty well.

I've still got to try out the Seafarers box.
>>
>>44181658
A bit different, fuck I'm tired.
>>
>>44181237
God I wish my family did this shit.
For a few years I wrote a big list with AMAZON LINKS to all the shit I wanted and every year they said, "we don't understand your Christmas list!" JUST CLICK THE UNDERLINED BLUE THING!

Sorry to blog.
>>
What is /tg/'s opinion on dice towers?
They seem stupid, pointless, elaborate, for something that a small box could do for 1/8th the price.
>>
File: 1446762382898.png (122 KB, 262x380) Image search: [Google]
1446762382898.png
122 KB, 262x380
>>44181968
I like the vertical movement of the dice, alongside the 0 probability the dice ever being more than a few centimeters apart when you read them.

Its appeal is mostly the Rube-Goldberg attributes of a dice tower; I'm thinking of making mine transparent
>>
>>44179852

Dice. Early.

Although, me and my buddy always alternate buying dice (I'd buy both sets one time, he'd buy both sets the next) whenever we rock up at the FLGS, so it's pretty much xmas whenever we decide to go.
>>
i want something /tg/-related for Christmas, but am rather friendless in this new area I've moved to and wouldn't benefit from most things

what on earth should i ask for from people pestering me about christmas gifts
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.