[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So tg, I watched Fellowship of the Ring last night for the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: 1422468009398.jpg (267 KB, 598x771) Image search: [Google]
1422468009398.jpg
267 KB, 598x771
So tg, I watched Fellowship of the Ring last night for the first time in ages and one question came up that I didn't get an answer to: Is Sauron an elf?

Pic only tangentially related
>>
>>44175202
Five seconds.
Five fucking seconds on google would have answered this question you iluvatar-forsaken dickweed.
>>
File: 1357299122873.jpg (138 KB, 456x303) Image search: [Google]
1357299122873.jpg
138 KB, 456x303
>>44175202
>>
>>44175202
Hes an angel.
>>
>>44175202
Sauron is a Maiar, which basically means he's an Angel. They're only tangentially related to elves, in that they're both created by illuvatar. Sauron is essentially a very lesser god, who was originally the personal bitch of Morgoth. When morgoth died, sauron took his place.
>>
File: comic-book-guy-computer.0.0.jpg (89 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
comic-book-guy-computer.0.0.jpg
89 KB, 1600x900
>>44175202
>>
>>44175202
>God finds planet
>Gets his 15 demigods to sing their terraforming song
>Biggest baddest not-satan Melkor demigod thinks he can do better at creation and sings off key to fuck things up
>Angels show up. Including Gandalf and Saurumon and Sauron
>Angels chill out under their favorite demigod
>Sauron follows Melkor around and they make some cool shit.
>Melkor pisses away his divinity making his own creations behind God's back and eventually steps on so many toes they toss him into space
>Sauron tries to do subversive political shenanigans to human kingdoms
>God drowns him and makes him ugly and shit
>Sauron then goes the Voldemort route and breaks his soul into 20 extra parts for more direct subversion
>>
>>44175202
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxgsxaFWWHQ
>>
>>44175202
Sauron is a Maia, a lesser angel. He was originally in the service of Aule, a Valar (greater angel), the archangel of craftsmanship (which is how he knew all that ring-lore). He entered into the service of Morgoth, the greatest of the Valar who rebelled against God (read: Morgoth was Lucifer). Morgoth was defeated and imprisoned in the First Age (after investing the majority of his power and evil in the world itself, which is why the world contains evil). Sauron pretended to return to goodness, and that's when he made the rings. He invested much of HIS power and evil in the One Ring, which is why he was so much more powerful with and weakened to the point of near-nonexistence when it was destroyed.

Gandalf and the other Istari are also Maiar, although significantly more limited than Sauron. The reason he is a wizard who can do magic is that he is literally an angel and has divine power due to being a personal servant of God.

When he died, his corporeal form was shed and he returned to Heaven. Then God sent him back in a less-restricted form because his mission was not yet complete.
>>
>>44175202
No. He's a fallen Maia, basically an angel/demigod.
>>
File: 1375379968874.png (565 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1375379968874.png
565 KB, 450x600
>>44177561
>>Sauron then goes the Voldemort route and breaks his soul into 20 extra parts for more direct subversion
Wrong! Only The One had his power invested in it.
>>
>>44180641
Tolkien did not half-ass anything, did he?
>>
File: Sauron..jpg (197 KB, 625x750) Image search: [Google]
Sauron..jpg
197 KB, 625x750
>Is Sauron an elf?
This simple question flung me into the deep lore of middle-earth
>>
>>44184610

Tolkien was essentially spinning his own entire mythos, not out of nothing, but using English, Nordic and other tales from European mythology to inform his creation.

Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbit, eventually) were merely byproducts of his life's work. Where Tarn Adams wants to create a fantasy world simulator, Tolkien was essentially creating a cultural foundation. His legacy casts a massive shadow over the genre he inadvertently helped create to this day.It would be difficult to overstate his influence on Western pop-culture, even before the New Line movies.

Could've used a versioning system for his notes though.
>>
>>44175343
>Sauron is essentially a very lesser god
He's the second most powerful Maiar after Eönwë.
>who was originally the personal bitch of Morgoth
No, that was later. Originally he was second-in-command of the house of Aulë.
>>
>>44177561
This has a lot of problems but basically this
>>
>>44184338
>1 Sauron
>1 Ring to Rule them all
>3 Elf Rings
>7 Dwarf Rings
>9 Human Rings

was my intention.
>>
>>44177561
>Saurumon
>>
>>44189598
what is this from?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.