[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ - Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: mwr774.jpg (78 KB, 357x490) Image search: [Google]
mwr774.jpg
78 KB, 357x490
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

>December's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Previous thread>>44147063

What is the best cleric domain?
>>
>>44173859
War and Arcana.
>>
File: 1422967510239.jpg (3 MB, 1997x3025) Image search: [Google]
1422967510239.jpg
3 MB, 1997x3025
Which god has the best clerics?
>>
>>44174324
Sune
I put a hot naked redhead on my shield and tabard and aim to have everyone be excellent to each other.
>>
>>44174324
Cleric of Waukeen coming through; poor fuckers get out of the way.
>>
>>44174011

>War

War is the weakest domain. Spirit Weapon is a better option for your Bonus Action instead "I hate two more times a day."
Tempest, Nature and Trickery are the best domains.
>>
>>44174714
>Nature and Trickery
Yes, instead of a suboptimal choice, pick a literally useless choice.
>>
>>44174802

Nature Clerics have the best Level 6 feature of the Domains and Trickery Clerics have the best Domain spells.
>>
On first reading through 5e, I was super stoked to make a polearm fighter, especially with the polearm master feat. AoO on entering reach! extra d4 attack! So cool. I can also attack adjacent creatures which is a big leg up over PF polearm fighters.

However, with the new AoO rules one of the biggest features of polearm fighting is removed: movement control. For polearm fighters, even with the feat, AoO is actually debuffed because your reach creates an even safer range for them to run around in; you only provoke AoO when you LEAVE reach, not leave a threatened square. And the AoO for entering reach only triggers when you enter the first time.

Does this piss anyone else off to an unreasonable degree?
>>
Asked this in the old thread already but has anyone here experience with necromancers in the party or even played one? I want to make one but I'm unsure what to look out for and what spells to take.

Do some spells synergize with your skeletons? I will give them heavy crossbows but is buying armor for them worth it?
>>
>>44174869
No, because that's not what Polearm Master is for; that's what Sentinel is for.
>>
>>44174869

>New AoO rules

What you described is how it's been since 5e kicked off. Unless you're comparing it to older editions.
And PM users are still fun with AoO triggering when someone ENTERS their 10 ft range.

Stop your bitching.
>>
>>44174919

Death Domain Cleric is a better Necromancer than a Wizard specializing in the Necromancy School.
>>
>>44174928
Does Sentinel encompass the entire reach of the polearm or just the 5 feet?

>>44174941
I literally just picked up 5e like two weeks ago you faggot. Entering range AoO is fun, but freebie movement being expanded out to 10 feet kind of balances that out anyways.
>valid criticism is bitching
>>
>>44174969
How so?
>>
>>44175037
>entering range AoO is fun
It looks fun on paper. I've seen it in practice, though. In practice, the fighter with the polearm has to try to control the rest of the party and the pace of every encounter. Every other player wants to go to the monsters because that's what they're playing D&D for, but the polearm master wants the monsters to come to him. So either he bullies the whole party into standing back so he can show off his leet optimized build, or he complains that the barbarian ran ahead of him and made him sit out the whole fight.
>>
>>44175173
Which wouldn't be as much of a problem if AoO acted like it did in previous editions.

Trying to play a defensive character in a party that isn't committed to it sucks ballsack.
>>
>>44175305
Which edition are you pining for, anyway? In 3.5 the fighter was irrelevant and in 4e the AoO was irrelevant because it was worse than your at-wills and probably didn't even key off of the right ability.
>>
>>44175037
Parts of Sentinel work with reach weapons and parts don't. Read the book.
>>
>>44174869
>>44174928
>>44175037
>>44175516
To answer the question that everyone seems to be dancing around for some reason, Sentinel does not allow you to make opportunity attacks against enemies that move within your reach.

Sentinel specifies:
• When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature’s speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn.
• Creatures within 5 feet of you provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach.
• When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn’t have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

The ability you are looking for is the Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style (available to any class which gains a Fighting Style) from the Light, Dark, Underdark Unearthed Arcana, which states:
>As a bonus action, you can enter a defensive stance that lasts until the start of your next turn. While in your defensive stance, you can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction, and you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.
However, this consumes your reaction, and therefore you can only use it once per round. It also does not actually synergize terribly will with Sentinel unless you take additional feats like Polearm Master.
>>
Getting around to my first 5e game.
Two Humans
Two Tieflings, one of whom toootally rolled 18 for several attributes
One Aarakocra
The DM is relatively new. I've experience with previous editions. The other four are almost completely new to tabletop.
Supposed to have started two weeks ago, but few of them ever made it at the scheduled time each time.
Assuming they don't just call it off because they never can show up at once, how quickly is this going to fall apart?
>>
One of my players wants to sell their soul to the Archfiend of my setting.

Are there any official rules on that or do I just do whatever?
>>
>>44177452
I'm a first time DM who is completely new to D&D (But not tabletop games in general) outside of like BG2, and two of my four players are completely new to tabletop games and we've been rolling along for a year. In my experience people are forgiving of mistakes if everyone is kind of a novice.
>>
>>44175679
Errata says that it effects your entire reach, not just within 5' of you. Though, I still find it extremely strange that you can't use your reaction from the 3rd benefit if the monster hits someone else with sentinel. That makes no sense to me.
>>
>>44178774
Should clarify, reach for the 2nd benefit, still 5' for the 3rd.
>>
Which one of you assholes has the list of magic items that goes with each AL module.
>>
>>44173859
Has anyone put together a spoiler-free tip collection for the official adventures? Seems like something that'd be nice to have
>>
>>44179204
>Has anyone put together a spoiler-free tip collection for the official adventures? Seems like something that'd be nice to have

People haven't seemingly put together a which item goes with which module list yet. It bums me out.
>>
What sort of shenanigans (or genuinely beneficial uses) would you derive from 1st Level Cleric spells, "Create/Destroy Water" and "Command"?
>>
>>44177452
There's no telling how long a group will last, really. Just try to get them to keep coming and offer suggestions instead of complaints.
>>
>>44178044
3.5 had suggestions for what devils will give for a soul. The most general guideline is that souls who are already evil get much less or don't get the offer at all, since they were probably hellbound anyway.

Probably the least game-breaking thing to offer in exchange for a soul would be a pile of gold pieces or the chance to trade any of his existing character levels for warlock levels. Extra experience or a powerful magic item would probably prove to be too much.
>>
>>44180752
Maybe you could give a little more, like a nice magic item, if the bargain were a little more harsh. For example, maybe selling your soul means that once you die your soul is trapped by that particular fiend and you cannot be brought back to life (unless, of course, your party can break into hell to take your soul back)
>>
File: Kos Parasite.jpg (26 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Kos Parasite.jpg
26 KB, 1280x720
I'm really holding out for some splats like Abberation mainly because they were my favorite sort of monsters from D&D. That and after the new DLC for BloodBorne I really want to make a monk tradition based off of the Kos Parasite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpInbEtQWo
>>
>>44181102
That's pretty gross. I wouldn't hold out for a monk kit based on being the host of a tentacled parasite, because that's extremely specific. I'd either play a Great Old One warlock, any other caster that gets Evard's Black Tentacles, or a Long Death monk refluffed to be sucking blood out of people with all his little lamprey-mouthed buddies.
>>
>>44181156

It doesn't literally have to be a tentacle man (although why wouldn't you want that?) but having some ki abilities that replicate spells like Evards tentacles to represent their otherworldly nature would be kill
>>
Looking to make a grappler and I'm debating Duegar vs Goliath. It essentially boils down to grappling as a large creature or a medium creature.

>Are there rules/bonuses for a large creature grappling a smaller creature? If so, what page?
>A large creature would not auto fail a grapple against a huge creature, correct?
>>
>>44181384
If you want to wrestle with dragons like my grappler is you want enlarge/reduce
>>
>>44181423
That's essentially what my player wants. Thanks
>>
>>44181583
>>44181384
As for classes you have a handful of options:

Go for babarian if you won't use any magic and are going for a Duergar.
Valor bard is a really great option. You get pretty much all skills you want but not as soon as some other classes.
Lore Bard+Fighter is also great.
Druid for a shapeshifting grappler.

If you're not going bard in any way put at least one level in rogue for expertise.
>>
>>44181897
The campaign he is playing in is low magic, so he has settled on Fighter/Rogue/Barb
>>
>>44182072
Another question:
How heavy is an ancient dragon? or the Tarrasque for that matter?
>>
>>44182199
Not really sure but note that ancient dragons and Tarrasque are gargantuan and thus ungrappable by normal PCs.
>>
>>44182243
So MOST things could be grappled, but not quite. Duly noted
>>
>>44182263
Yes with enlarge you should be able to wrestle with most of your enemies. Holding down an adult dragon can be insanely useful.
>>
File: bg-shaman-elemental.jpg (13 KB, 512x361) Image search: [Google]
bg-shaman-elemental.jpg
13 KB, 512x361
>>44173859
Tempest Cleric coming through!
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.