[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General - 3rd Party Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: 1449606137393.jpg (108 KB, 680x1084) Image search: [Google]
1449606137393.jpg
108 KB, 680x1084
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

>December's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Previous Thread: >>44147063

Do you want to see more third party support for 5th Edition? If so, what kinds of support?
>>
>>44172189
>If so, what kinds of support?
Better Martial support (less "higher power" and more "additional variety" as they're kinda boring again this edition), proper psionics, addition of Paladin variants.
>>
So guys, my setting is going to have an Orog mercenary company, and just the straight-up stats won't suffice for the current level my players are at- so I'd like to make them a 'race'.

So what'd be good for Orogs? +2 Str and Agressiveness both seem like no-brainers, but what else? +2 Con and call it a day? Or +1 Con and something like an innate proficiency in something?
>>
I got the official 5E DM screen and i kind of want to fix the cheat sheet it got, any good images that fits for it?
>>
>>44172250
>proper psionics
>>>/srg/
>>
What are some reasons beyond "lol bcuz im so evil n stuf" would a mortal want to cause a war amongst the gods?
>>
>>44172995
militant atheist who really wants his views justified
>>
>>44172995
There are a lot of people who think that god wronged them and is responsible for all the bad stuffs in the world. A mortal leading a war against gods wouldn't be alone.
>>
File: 1449946883949.png (3 MB, 886x1389) Image search: [Google]
1449946883949.png
3 MB, 886x1389
Agreed to help someone make a Bladesinger; realized I don't know shit about how to make a good one. They seem pretty underwhelming from what I've read, can /5eg/ work its magic and help an anon out?
>>
>>44173381
Just make a standard wizard then pick the bladesinger path
>>
>>44172995
To sneak in and claim the spoils. Gotta get that godblood.
>>
>>44173381
Play primarily as a caster; pick the usual spells you'd pick, and just use a weapon when you'd otherwise spam damage cantrips (at least until level 15 or so, when the damage boost starts becoming insignificant).

Note that Bladesingers are not obliged to actually wield blades, nor are they prohibited from wielding two one-handed weapons. You could easily TWF with shortswords if you're out of spells, or wield any one-handed ranged weapons you happen to be proficient in (though you'd lose the +Int to damage on melee weapons from your level 14 feature).

As a generaly rule, your class still determines what you do for most of the time. Your archetype just adds something else that you can do, or lets you do a particular thing better.

Now, can anyone help me suggest some options for a Monk to deal damage at range, apart from taking Sun Soul?
>>
>>44172995
>To become a god.
>To exact revenge on a god.
>To impress a god who (s)he has fallen madly in love with.
>To bring back a lost love.
>To prove to his brother, who has devoted his entire life to the cloth, that he is throwing it all away and gods are petty and cruel and consider men weak playthings.
>To save mankind by preventing ragnarok or whatever equivalent he saw in a prohetic dream in which the gods play their games and bring ruin the all mortals / piss off an even more powerful celestial being.
>>
>>44173578
>Now, can anyone help me suggest some options for a Monk to deal damage at range, apart from taking Sun Soul?

Fluff darts as shurikens, and convince the monk to consider them monk weapons?
Use coins as improvised weapons. You're a monk, you don't care about throwing your money away.

>>44172250
Am I the only one who thinks there is nothing wrong with martials, especially this addition? Stats make a huge difference in this edition, and the ASI's are pretty important.
>>
>>44173758
There is nothing "wrong" about martials
But they could be better.
A figther at lvl 20 can attack four times. A wizard got his own demiplane, a clone to make him immortal and lot of other unbalanced shit
It's not the townguard against merlin, but it's still not hercules
>>
>>44172352

Any help appreciated still.

>>44172995

If the war *doesn't* happen, mortals will wither and die in the long run, or be supplanted with whatever the gods dream up next.
>>
So, I'm planning on doing a kind of weird gestalt game where players pick an additional class at level 3, 7 and 15. So you'd start as say Fighter 1, then eventually Fighter 3/Rogue 1 then Fighter 7/Rogue 5/Wizard1 and then Fighter 15/Rogue 13/Wizard 9/Sorcerer 1 and by level 20 it would be Fighter 20/Rogue 18/Wizard 14/Sorcerer 6.

I realize this would get pretty powerful pretty quick, but is there anything I should look out for? Or any additional rules I should put in place to prevent madness or increase fun?
>>
>>44173758
>Fluff darts as shurikens, and convince the monk to consider them monk weapons?
Yeah, darts not being monk weapons are stupid. Well, the whole way that they defined monk weapons is stupid, but that's neither here nor there.

Daggers would be a better option, since they are already monk weapons.

That said, I was hoping for something with a range more comparable to bows and spells. The obvious solution would be simply to use bows and spells, but those would be pretty bad, damage-wise.

>Use coins as improvised weapons. You're a monk, you don't care about throwing your money away.
However, I now want to make a build revolving around this. Close Quarters Shooter Fighter 1 / Rogue X with Tavern Brawler, perhaps? Of course, there's no easy way to have the throw run off Dex.
>>
>>44174000
I don't get why people do this.

>>44173959
You right. I would love to feel more like an Epic Hero of Legend by then.
>>
>>44174000
Things to consider: How would proficiency work? How would spell slots work? How would multiclassing work? At which levels would players gain ASIs?
>>
>>44173758
>Am I the only one who thinks there is nothing wrong with martials, especially this addition? Stats make a huge difference in this edition, and the ASI's are pretty important.
"Wrong"? No. "Could be better"? Yes, absolutely.
>>44173959
>>44174050

I feel like the playtests really diminished what NEXT was into a watered-down semblance of its original potential. Hell, each time there's UA feedback the results seem more or less boil down to a multi-chorused cry of "MAKE IT MORE LIKE PF", which is, at best, highly counter-productive.
>>
>>44174050
>I don't get why people do this.
Gestalting rules are for small parties (1-3 PCs) that want to be able to fill out the breadth of roles a larger party would be able to fill naturally.

That guy's staggered quadruple class thing seems too complicated to me, but I've used gestalting rules before and they've done their job well enough.
>>
>>44174053
>>44174053
I'd probably run proficiency off the highest level, maybe compartmentalize spell slots based on class. Multi classing with this system wouldn't be a thing, no one could possibly describe their character as more than 4 classes could they? ASI I'm torn between giving them ALL of their increases and only giving them the ones for their Main class. Honestly though ALL of them sounds WAY more fun and doesn't punish people for picking feats.
>>
>>44174050
>>44174081
Well, I did a little homebrew to have more "mythic" characters.
With new class feature gained at each ASI level, not there to have big damage but to add an epic feeling and to be more versatile.
Including a save for the fighter against illusion without having to inspect them because of his "figther sense", the ability to make a rift into the planes with his weapon to do planar travel and go after the wizard who escaped, or the ability for the barbarian to destroy everything without hardness and shit like that.
I also did things for the wizard, like learning how to make golems and stuff. It was for every class.

It was a lot of fun in my campaign. I wish WotC tried to do something like that instead.
>>
>>44174164
>no one could possibly describe their character as more than 4 classes could they?
A decent number of builds can span up to 3 classes, and that's only because of the 20 level limit. If you give people more levels so they can dip into Fighter for Action Surge and Fighting Styles, Monk or Barbarian for AC, Warlock or Invocations, and so forth - basically all the stuff they kind of wish they could do, but don't have enough levels for, they will probably do it.

>giving them ALL of their increases
Be prepared for everyone to qualify for multiclass into every other class, if you permit it.

Regardless, you'll probably end up with predominantly casters, since everyone can now have 20s in all their casting stats, as well as Dex. Heavy armor becomes devalued as a result. These are just off the top of my head; there's definitely other shit that will happen that I can't be bothered to think of right now.

>only giving them the ones for their Main class
Also an option.

But this limits the players' options for classes, since they'll only have maybe 1 or 2 20s now. For instance, with 4 classes, a player who wants to go Wizard will be severely limited in terms of his other 3 classes, since hardly anything requires Int, and to have a decent AC, he'll need his second 20 to be in Str or Dex (to qualify for plate, he needs a 15 in Str, which he likely can't reach without putting ASIs into anyway).

Also, what happens to people who go Fighter as a non-primary class? What happens to the additional ASIs?

Both options have their pitfalls, and you probably want to carefully consider the implications of whatever rules you institute before finalizing them.
>>
>>44174461
The goal with multiple ASI is that it would completely negate any classes who suffer from MAD, and I really don't mine people being able to multi class into whatever the hell they want, that sounds incredibly fun.

You make a good point about further multiclassing, the only issue the shear potential insanity of it.

I honestly don't mind allowing my players to cap out a bunch of different stats, but the point about devaluing heavy armor is a good point.

I may just math out how many average ASI one would get with their build and find a spot between the normal amount and that.
>>
>>44174670
>honestly don't mind allowing my players to cap out a bunch of different stats
Then just be prepared for every player to be able to shit out an assload of mid-level spells to fuck up most encounters you send at them, unless you also rebalance the amount of spells they get.

Meanwhile, martials will lose out on a rough quarter of those spells for the ability to hit something harder in the eventuality that they ever run out of those spells.
>>
>>44174010
>Close Quarters Shooter
More like "Quarters-Shooter," amirite?
Hmhehawhoohee
>>
OK, so Warding Bond can target a creature you touch, and that creature can be you (PHB 204). In this case, the target (you) has resistance to all damage, and if they (you) take damage, you also take the same amount of damage. But that triggers Warding Bond again, which deals damage, which triggers etc. If these each count as separate instances, resistance applies to each lot of damage. Including rounding, that means slightly less than full damage is sometimes dealt. However, if it counts as a single instance, 2 or more damage is lethal as it continually recurs, as resistance only applies once (PHB 197). So which one is it?
>>
>>44175559
Don't be a jackass, you can't Warding Bond yourself.
>>
>>44175559
When you would take damage for any reason, any resistance is applied before you actually take the damage (i.e. even though a creature would take 16 damage from an attack, it only takes 8 damage if it has resistance). You do not actually take the full damage before halving, because that's not how resistance works.

Similarly, Warding Bond only transfers the halved damage, because that's the actual damage the creature takes.

Warding Bond probably isn't intended for you to cast on yourself, but if you do, I imagine you end up taking x/2+x/4+x/8+... until the fraction rounds to 0.

It isn't a particularly efficient way to expend a 2nd level spell slot, though.
>>
>>44171478
>>44171538
>>44171578
Thank you guys. Looked through the guidelist and it looks really useful.
Hope I'll like it and get into DnD.
>>
>>44172189
Settings and stories, but who ever writes this shit needs to figure out that people can do shit with having to say "I cast ____"
>>
>>44172995
Gods, even good one, cause mysery with their bickering. To bring them down is to usher a new age where mortals are free to do what they want.
>>
>>44177253
An age where fedora tipping reigns.
>>
>>44176025
Hey, one of those is me!!!
No problem, anon! I hope you get a good group and have some great times!
>>
Has anyone figured out a way to build a saiyan ish character without homebrewing?

I'm guessing bear totem barbarian for the multitude of resistances, monk levels for the rest?

Doesn't quite give ki blasts however.
>>
>>44177460
Sun Soul monk from SCAG has ki blasts.
>>
>>44177460
Sun Monk from SCAG is the closest you'll get to being a DBZ character without homebrewing.
>>
Speaking of Sun Soul, can anyone think of a good reason why it's capstone doesn't specify sunlight?

Would it break anything to houserule it as sunligh
>>
anyone doing one shots tonight?
>>
>>44177491
It's funny because there is literally already something Saiyan like, and Monks were always Eastern fantasy inspired, and D&D has had shit loads of Eastern fantasy elements, and you're a self-righteous piece of shit who doesn't know shit.
>>
File: 1446955965663.jpg (121 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1446955965663.jpg
121 KB, 720x720
>>44174081
God please no. Pathfinder is horrifically bloated and convoluted. 5th actually does a lot of shit right, tieing roleplay more intrinsically to the rules rather than open-ending the rules to facilitate more personal characters and play styles, just...

That's why I don't DM Pathfinder anymore. The rules bloat has caused multiple players have to ditch their characters because the direction they went was being outshined by the two guys who knew the best paths from experience, and just rolled good stats with pasted on characters, instead of a character that functions at all points like their character.
>>
>>44178286
You took the bait
>>
>>44177869

It's 'soul' light, not literal sunlight.

Having it be sunlight would mean sunlight sensitive races couldn't use it.
>>
>>44178492
I feel you, but it really does seem like a lot of shit's just crying for more 3.x rules over being willing to try anything even remotely interesting, new or functional.
>>
>>44178498
Every person being stupid on the internet can't be called baiting. People are just stupid most of the time.
>>
Why are the druid level 2 and 3 spells so garbage.. I don't feel excited about ANY of it. So much niche shit and the shit that is "good" basically can hurt your team mates too much.
>>
So how often and for how long do you guys normally play DnD? I meet with my party once a week for about 9 hours or so. We go to my one friends play all day eat dinner play some more leave.
>>
>Pathfinder comes out
>hop over because 3.5 is rotten and broken
>frequent PF support, pretty good
>too many retarded things become Core and people keep pointing to RAW
>becomes insufferable
>5E comes out
>hop ship to 5E
>it's awesome
>0 support from WotC
>WotC is paranoid to get fucked in the ass again with the d20 SRD like with the Pathfinder debacle
>no reasonable 5E SRD
>despite owning the books and having the PDF, it's still a fucking pain in the ass to look things up compared to www.d20pfsrd.com/ for Pathfinder
>wait for 3rd party support
>it doesn't exist
>start bleeding out players
>all my friends switch back to PF because it actually has support and new shit released relatively frequently

FUCK YOU WOTC

5E IS GOOD JUST GIVE US SOMETHING

AND STOP BEING JEWS ABOUT YOUR CORE RULES
>>
>>44177253

This is usually utterly hilarious. I recall fighting one BBEG who wanted to destroy the gods, because the gods imposed Fate on people. With Fate, men were tied to their destinies with little wiggle-room.

So I asked "Are you saying that it's Fate that brought me to this moment? Made me who I am?"

"Well, yes-"

And then I killed him before he could get another word out. If Fate made me and my party legendary heroes, why the fuck would I want to destroy it? It's the best thing ever!
>>
>>44178770
I never had that problem. Super cookie-cutter useful spells.

1: Entangle, Faerie Fire, Cure Wounds
2: Darkvision/Pass without Trace, Heat Metal/Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration
3: Conjure Animals, Dispel Magic, Plant Growth/Spike Growth

Done.

Unless you're a Moon Druid, then just use

1: Detect Magic, Goodberry, Longstrider
2: Barkskin, Pass without Trace/Darkvision, Lesser Restoration
3: Dispel Magic, Protection from Energy
>>
>>44178652
I had a friend who said, and I quote: "5th Ed is hyper casual, and not in the good way."

Suffice it to say, he has never actually tried 5th. He played in a game I ran, but kept playing it like he was playing PF.
>>
>>44179073
Well, he's not wrong.
>>
>>44178503
Just like the OoD Paladins and Light Domain Clerics right?
>>
>>44178896

spike growth is trash. It limits your groups melee characters too much. especially in enclosed spaces.
>>
>>44172189
I want the mystic class to come out already.
>>
>>44175252
Eat shit anon. I had a hearty laugh at that and almost choked on Salisbury steak
>>
>>44179118

fuck
>>
>>44178823
Most RPG systems are one-and-done or have very few expansions.

Adding tons of garbage to a mostly-solid core helps no one.
>>
>>44179327
You're right though, it shouldn't be sunlight. All other sources of sunlight (minus the sun) are either short term buffs or require concentration.

The SS monk capstone is an on/off effect. Maybe if you changed it to a short term buff, such as Light Domain Clerics or OoD Paladins capstone, increased the damage and/or removed the reaction limitation and changed it to sunlight it might be ok.
>>
>>44173381
High Elf or Eladrin
8, 16, 14, 16, 12, 8

Use Booming blade with spells like flaming sphere (I think that's the name), GFB in other cases.

Though casting shit as a normal wizard while bladesinging for more AC is better, but that's not supposed how it should be played.
>>
I fucking hate people who are loot goblins. They literally only come to the session to see what loot they are going to get. Then they fall asleep on the mic when there is no action. Fuck loot goblins.
>>
>>44179921
I thought you meant people WHO loot goblins, and thought you were maybe overreacting.

Maybe the goblins have good stuff, Anon.
>>
>>44180008

lol fuck.. I can see that now after reading what I typed but now, I was talking about people who want to LOOT EVERYTHING and then do no role playing at all. Just "DOES THIS UNICORN WE JUST KILLED HAVE ANY TREASURE ON IT?!"
>>
I want to make a Holy Bard homebrew. Should I make a whole new class, or would a Bard class path be a better solution?
>>
>>44180914
Just generically holy, or specifically holy?

Valor and Lore have a lot of the bases covered already. In fact, while it's not my favorite class by any measure, I think that the Bard Archetypes are probably the best-written of all the PHB Archetypes in that they do pretty much fill all the gaps. All you gotta do is choose between being a loremaster and being a battle-poet.

Holy Bard? Either College, focus on spells borrowed from the Cleric list, choose your core spells from the most flavorful of whatever you're going for. Play that Christian Rock, Anon.
>>
>>44180991
Specifically holy, using Religious instead of Arcane power source.

I'll get back to /5eg/ when I get something workable together.
>>
How to mystery?
>>
>>44173381
>>44173490
>>44173578
>>44179650

I love the bladesinger spells for the eldritch knight, but if the eldritch knight is an option, isn't the bladesinger kind of redundant?
>>
>>44181047
EK is a fighter with some magic tricks.

BS is a wizard with some melee tricks, like a valor bard is a bard with some fighting tricks.

If you want something closer to the center, paladin or ranger is your best bet.
>>
File: Jump Race.jpg (45 KB, 600x456) Image search: [Google]
Jump Race.jpg
45 KB, 600x456
Would it be a bad idea to remove a monk's unarmed damage and instead give them "weapon stances" allowing their unarmed strikes to mimic weapons from the weapon list?

In this case a monk that adopts a "Great Sword" stance counts as wielding a greatsword and deals greatsword damage with their unarmed strikes.

Thinking this would allow monks to get a few of the neat martial feats and bump their damage a bit.
>>
>>44181031
...Or, again, don't.

Don't suppose I gotta tell you how many of the shitty homebrews in the OP are "Like X, but Y."
>>
>>44181107
Is the Bladesinger the best option for a "muscle wizard" build, then?
>>
>>44181486
Okay, but are you saying you DO want to see more third party support for 5e or that you don't?
>>
File: Guts'_Enraged.jpg (113 KB, 500x566) Image search: [Google]
Guts'_Enraged.jpg
113 KB, 500x566
Was wondering if anybody had some creative/fun ideas about replacing lost limbs.

I have a player who, for dumb but true-to-his-character reasons, had an arm severed. He's been a good sport about it and put up with it for a long time, but I know he's counting the days until he can go back to being right-handed.

What he doesn't know is that the party is likely to wind up in Sigil within the next couple of months. By then, they ought to be level 10 and packing a pretty significant chunk of change. I figure that, if there was anywhere in the multiverse that might have a solution for lost limbs for sale, it'd be Sigil.

Which brings me to my point: buying a Regeneration scroll or something would be boring. Some sort of mechanical/construct arm has potential, but isn't inherently interesting. Maybe a graft from a weird monster?

Point being that I would like it to be fun/interesting as opposed to a return to status quo.
>>
>>44181963
give him a giant lobster arm
>>
File: Gar_Shatterkeel.jpg (152 KB, 895x958) Image search: [Google]
Gar_Shatterkeel.jpg
152 KB, 895x958
>>44181997

That ain't even a bad idea
>>
I asked about some mystery ideas last night and received good advice from an anon, and now I've adapted a pretty decent and short adventure for my party. I'm having some trouble with some of it though.

Basically I can't think of any sort of clues that would lead the party to the abandoned building on the outskirts of town where the crazy doctor has been taking people and experimenting on them underground.

How would they know to search this place out without me being really heavy handed about it.

I still haven't really grasped a lot of the mystery adventure basics.
>>
>>44183464
Little kids singing a nursery rhyme while playing a game. Hope the players get interested enough to stop and ask the kids what they're singing about.
>>
File: deathwithcat_8690.jpg (30 KB, 305x400) Image search: [Google]
deathwithcat_8690.jpg
30 KB, 305x400
The party will die of dragon fire at the start of the next game. I didn't like how the first session played out, I was using Hoard of the Dragon Queen and I decided I didn't like it. So now I'm going off book and doing my own shit, and the easiest way to do that is murder the party in one fell swoop and force them to deal with death and eventually earn their mortality.

So, it's a FR setting, so Kelemvor shows up to judge their lives and usher them into the afterlife. He wants to take them to the City of the Dead to live as noble heroes, but the place is filled up with valiant if not stupid souls. Not willing to send them to hell, he decides to call on his counterpart Myrkul, who is obviously modeled after Death from Discworld. Myrkul thinks he can make use of them, so he takes them to the catacombs of water deep where his cult is struggling to establish itself. From this point on the party acts as thugs and gofers for the god of the dead, occasionally taking breaks at the ghost bar in the catacombs, where other undead creatures can commune without worry from paladins and clerics.

Murdering those who cheated Death, (at Dragon Chess), clearing out a dungeon for the cult to establish its base of operations and raiding merchants for cash and valuables. Skull masks provided by Myrkul himself allow the party to walk the streets as mortals, though stuck in the guise of their master. This in turn will increase the Reaper's reputation among civilians, and the more they fear death the more powerful he becomes.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>44183505
I think it's solid, but would vary heavily on the group.
I know my own home group would immediately look for outs since it's crashing all of their characters' goals and dreams on a whim, and it would become an adventure about breaking out of Myrkul's subservience to retake their own lives and such.

But assuming your group isn't like that, I don't see why it wouldn't fly.
>>
>>44178826
He was an ultimate diviner and seen your fate. It was not good.
>>
So guys, we've recent started our first campaign and we've just hit level 4. We got a fighter who's a battle-master with sword and board focused on tanky-support, a war-domain cleric focused on main tanking and casting, and a necromancer doing his thing, and myself as a paladin with a halberd doing damage.

Now I've a pretty good stat-line at 19,12,14,10,14,15, with variant human start and the Polearm master, and want to pick up maybe another feat, or honestly I don't know. What gives the best damage? I'm considering Sentinel, making second/first-row attacks seemingly good for more damage/control. Or Great Weapon Master for just raw damage and more crowd control, which would be nice with the warriors attack advantage buff. Maybe I should take neither and just get to 20 strength and 16 charisma? Any thoughts?
>>
>>44183860
Also, is Resilient good? It seems paladins had Con save proficiency in earlier additions, but that was removed, and from what I gather Con saves are used often enough.
>>
>>44181737
If you mean going STR/INT, no. they are barred from using heavy armor and big weapons
>>
>>44183994
Getting proficiency in an extra saving throw is worth it. And you even get a small attribute increase.
>>
So my DM has put us in a bit of a quandary.

We started off helping fight some Orcs off a Dwarven trading post and then hunting the Orcs down and returning the goods they stole.

However shortly after being succesful we get cornered in a nearby dungeon by a party of Orcs. They are being led by some Elves, now during out time tracking the Orcs we get evidence of elvish presence and a small conspiracy.

Long story short in this homebrew world High Elves were the aristocracy of a large Empire nearby. 100 years ago it fell apart and is now an anarchic area with human and elvish kingdoms popping up and down and bandits loose in the countryside.

The dwarves we are aiding are separate from this, just separate trading clans in a nearby region. The Elves are trying to restore their Empire, using the Orcs to keep the Dwarves under control and stop them interfering.

When we got cornered the Elves offered us a job, help them restore the Empire and stop the anarchy. All we have to do is take a nearby tower from the Dwarves and let some Orcs hold it.

The issue I suppose is that I'm an Oath of the Ancient Paladin. Restoring the Empire would bring stability to the land. But their methods of using the Orcs (who are pillaging the countryside) is wrong. Would it be oathbreaking to go along with the plan until we reach the leaders of the plot to stop them? Even if it means aiding some evil creatures for a short while.
>>
>>44184539
I apologise in advance for my shitting formatting.
>>
>>44184539
You owe allegiance to the beauty and light in the world, not to a particular faction or race. It's ultimately up for you to interpret. That all said, lying to your enemies to gain the upperhand would not be oathbreaking. I would probably do the same under similar circumstances.
>>
File: DM Screen - Portrait.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DM Screen - Portrait.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44172394
>>
taking resilience as a feat. I'm a paladin, should I get proficiency in Dex saving throws or Con saving throws?

I'm debating which one is actually useful.

My Dex is 8 and Con is 13.
>>
>>44173578
Give monks a cantrip that scales its damage die with the character level and costs 2 ki.
Something like [(monk level/2)+Wis mod]d6 damage with the approoriate damage type.

Example Wind blade cantrip for Wot4E monk dealing cutting or force damage.
Make it on pair to a good sorc but cut the range to 30ft.
>>
>>44173758
>Am I the only one who thinks there is nothing wrong with martials, especially this addition? Stats make a huge difference in this edition, and the ASI's are pretty important.
I don't think>>44172250 said they were bad, but that they were boring. Arguably, they're necessary (i.e. a damage dealer who's not dependent on spell-slot-equivalent resources for their damage for adventuring days with more encounters than usual,) but being necessary isn't necessarily fun. Martials in 5e aren't bad, they're boring.
>>
Fighter seems kind of lackluster compared to some of the other classes. Are they fun to play or are they more of the kind of class that does the same exact thing every turn?
>>
>>44185092
Con. Definitely Con.
>>
>>44185290
Battlemaster and EK have some options, Champion not so much.
>>
>>44178823
Firstly, the basic rules are available for free, sans a few classes. Secondly, WotC is supporting it, just not with the usual expensive splatbooks. Have you seen any Unearthed Arcana content? Finally, if you're looking for third party stuff, may I recommend Middle Finger of Vecna? My group's doing a campaign in a setting with magitech where we're all sky pirates using their stuff and modified DMG boat stats for airship rules, it's pretty fun.
>>
>>44185092
Why would you take Dex if you are already there with a negative mod.
Just go with Con.
>>
>>44172189
Am i the only one that think that martials should have a ''technique'' set that uses stamina points based on Con and Casters should have a mana pool for their spells that is based on Wis?
>>
>>44185290
Fighter's pretty straightforward, but two of their three archetypes have a lot of fun stuff to do. And, when it comes to combat, they're generally 'the best'.
>>
What kind of abilities would a mercury elemental have?
>>
File: 1423869611954.jpg (48 KB, 219x411) Image search: [Google]
1423869611954.jpg
48 KB, 219x411
4d6 drop the lowest down the line, 14, 9, 13, 16, 16, 6.
What am I looking at here? My 2 16's can't really interact, but I feel like this is calling for an old raunchy but wise wizard.
>>
>>44186001
Immunity to anything that impedes its movement, or something.
>>
File: 4891658-img000046.jpg (698 KB, 1720x1236) Image search: [Google]
4891658-img000046.jpg
698 KB, 1720x1236
I wonder if it is overkill to pit 5 9lv PCs against a vampire with 12 levels in monk and children of night replaced with ocular blood-lasers.
>>
>>44186006
Literally anything.
>>
>>44186276
Maybe, but it sounds like fun. Perhaps arrange a non fatal loose condition.
>>
Are there any new expeditions?

How can I have access to them? They are great when the other DM's can't make a session.
>>
>>44173966
>>44172352
What level are your players?

And keep in mind that CR2 is pretty tough especially in numbers.
>>
>>44174081
>NEXT

Virt...
>>
>>44183505
Dumb
>>
>>44183860
Just get to 20 and 16
>>
>>44184539
>>44184539
Breaking your promise to the dwarves is a dick move
>>
>>44187421
Not even.
>>44185134
Exactly this.
>>
>>44187601
You know you don't need to type Next in all caps right? It wasn't an acronym.
>>
>>44178652
Interesting, new and functional got them 4e. People do not want those things, they want more of the same things
>>
>>44185772
>Have you seen any Unearthed Arcana content?
Not the anon you're replying to, but UA is shit, and you should know it.

Everything in it is either weirdly useless or overpowered munchkinbait. In both cases, it's largely due to lazy writing and formatting.

My favorite example is the modifying classes one:
> says don't mess with the sorcerer's spell list
> example sorcerer archetype messes with the sorcerer's spell list.

Too fucking funny.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (11 KB, 168x168) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
11 KB, 168x168
Hey /5eg/

My PCs have a big encounter coming up and in order to make it more organic and intense I wanted to implement some kind of time limit on their combat decisions. It would also otherwise be a very long encounter.

What are some good methods for doing this?

My idea was to put a 30 second limit on their decision, and give them a penalty to hit or save for every 30 seconds they go over.
>>
>>44187955
>functional
>4e
Um.
>>
>>44188131
Simply start the encounter saying, "Anons, this is a time-critical encounter. You have roughly 30 seconds to take your turn each, if you don't, your turn is skipped. So, prepare what you want to do before your turn!"
>>
>>44188209
4e was perfectly functional. Math issues just made combat early in its edition a slog, but it wasn't unplayable.
>>
>>44188209
The game worked. It knew what it wanted to do and did it well. It's just no one liked how it did that.
>>
>Combats feel super hard, always almost everybody falls unconscious
>GM is dissapointed that he didn't kill any
>Ask him
>He thinks every combat ever should kill one PC or at the verly least leave all but one PC unconscious and that PC at 1-2 HPs
The fuck? 360º moonwalk away of this game
>>
Question time. If youre a druid/mage in human form and cast Enlarge in yourself, does the effect carries over when you turn into beast form? Thanks.
>>
Ugh, we haven't had a session in a month. We usually do it once a week. We had to stop last time in the middle of a dungeon.

The first week we missed was because someone wanted to work late. The second was because someone's dad died. The next was because I wasn't prepared and not in the mood.

Now, one of the players can't play for the next three weeks, but all the other players want to play. He says just write his character out for a bit.

Ugh. I might have the troggs kidnap him, but I don't know how to do that believably.

I'm more or less bitching for the sake of bitching, but it is frustrating. I have two encounters left over from last time, four if they actually bother to explore the coffins. Last session they only got through two encounters so that might be enough.

But I don't know. I probably should adjust the difficulty seeing as they are a man down.
>>
>>44188673
I would imagine so. It's just a magical buff and changing your physical form shouldn't remove or alter any buffs/debuffs already on you.

My problem

>Four players. Paladin. Summoning Wizard. Rogue. Druid.
>Wizard is a good guy, helps the others, never wants to pvp, is going for the 'putting evil to good use' angle by wanting to summon demons not for battle, but for construction and stuff.
>Paladin's player is full on REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IC and OOC about this.

Any ideas how I can resolve this? Wizard likes his idea, but we're all quietly worried the paladin will literally go off and kill himself if he doesn't get his own way.
>>
>>44181215
So, you're thinking something like they pick a weapon-specific Feat and they can treat their unarmed strike as though they were wielding an equivalent weapon? For example...

The Monk can change his stance at the end of his turn (each with those typical four-word asian martial arts styles or whatever), causing their attacks on their next turn to adopt a different property. Each stance would be linked to some existing martial Feat (or just make up your own feats that mimic the martial feats and don't actually grant you the benefits of the Feat if you did wield the weapons).

Take Great Weapon Master and earn an unarmed stance called "Torrential River Cutting Hand" that deals 1d10 slashing damage with a bare handed strike and benefits from Great Weapon Master feat as though he were wielding a two handed sword.

And take Dual Wielder to learn "Stone Claw Penetrating Fist" to deal 1d6 piercing damage (have it increase to 1d8 and 1d10 at higher levels to match the Monk's natural increase in Unarmed damage?) with all strikes, and a +1 to AC as though he were using Dual Wielder with two short swords. (Since Monks are proficient with Short Swords already, they can effectively fight as though they had two swords whether or not they're wielding them)

And Polearm Master, "Windswept Leaf Leaping Palm" deals a 1d10 slashing strike and then a 1d10 bludgeoning strike, benefiting from Polearm Master. However it requires you to perform your attack against target that is 10 feet away and not adjacent to you so as to adhere to the reach property, the attack will automatically shift you next to them on your attack.
>>
>>44188760
Doesn't summoning a demon make the spell evil?
>>
>>44188833
The rules aren't officially released yet. Look up that old black magic 5e on google and you'll get a sample pdf of demon summoning spells. If Wizard was doing it to be an edgy dick, I would tell him no. He's of the mindset that the craftsman's deeds are good or evil, not the tools.
>>
>>44188505
Tell him that's the goal of the adventuring day, not one single encounter. If he wants a system where every battle has lives on the line, he doesn't want the dungeon resource management simulator.

Is he giving you guys 6 encounters a day, or like, 2?
>>
>>44188921
>>44188505
Or maybe he's not "giving" any number of encounters and it's intended to be a gritty campaign where deadly threats are actually deadly and you have to pick your battles very carefully. If it makes sense that the forces you're fighting are about evenly matched with you (for example, if you're skilled mercenaries and you're fighting other skilled mercenaries,) victory doesn't have to be guaranteed.
>>
>>44188921
4 encounters per day, and we're 4 PCs, what he asks basically is for new characters at the end of the day. Srly, fuck this shit, I already told him I'm not going to come back.
>>
>>44188904
Yeah, I guess. Though I can genuinely understand the paladin's point. DnD morality doesn't usually allow for this sort of thing, after all, even if you create skeletons in order to work a farm to feed orphans, you still are committing a heinous blasphemy.

With demons being as they are, there's always fear for the cosmic balance. Or the demon breaking the binding. Or you know, all kinds of stuff.

This can also be the good kind of player conflict, where players have different styles and have interplay. My advice would be just to discourage PVP as much as possible and inform the paladin that while it may be dangerous, there is nothing in the rules stating it is an evil act.
>>
Would a simple experience system like this work?

>Experience required to level up is calculated as 10 + Current Level
>Every time a character levels up they erase their EXP score and start again from 0.

>Minor challenges are worth 1xp.
>Major challenges are worth 2xp.
>Completing an adventure is worth 3xp.
>Gaining a point of inspiration is worth 1xp*.
>Discovering a new adventure location in uncharted wilderness is worth 1xp.
>Bringing a notable treasure back to civilization is worth 1xp.

Challenges being both skill challenges and combat.

*Only when the DM gives it. Players obviously repeatedly pass inspiration to each other to get more that would be silly.

I've seen systems like this used before, I just don't know what a good base number (the arbitrary 10) would be for 5e.
>>
>>44189009
>while it may be dangerous, there is nothing in the rules stating that it is an evil act.

I'll roll with this. Thanks!
>>
>>44189073
Why? The books already give out information on how to handle easy, moderate, hard and extremely difficult challenges, and reward XP accordingly.
>>
>>44189114
I don't like the ridiculously bloated numbers that WotC failed to avoid carrying over from the previous editions.
>>
>>44189114
There is NO reason level progression can't be handled with much smaller numbers now that GP = XP is no longer an integrated game mechanic. Why experience and gold bloat made it into 5e is a fucking mystery, though the answer is probably "wizards are really fucking lazy" or "D&D players apparently hate new things, even though this is really something that needs to be fixed and nobody would actually miss it because it has no purpose".

>>44189073
It isn't a straight progression upwards. Levels 4-10 are bloated on purpose to hide the fact that high level characters are broken as fuck and to keep players in the level range where the game is easier to manage.

Experience to level
>levels 1 and 2 = 10xp
>level 3 = 20xp
>levels 4-10 = 30xp (25 is probably better)
>levels 11-20 = 20xp (they wanted normal players to have a chance of reaching level 20 before the sun explodes and kills us all)

Experience granted for:
>easy/moderate challenges = 0xp (they're more for wearing down player resources and HP)
>med/hard challenges = 1xp
>extremely hard challenges = 2xp
>end of adventure boss battle = 3xp
>you can give xp for good roleplaying, completing bonus shit, teamwork, being sneaky beaky, etc. without killing the game
>>
>>44188760
The demon summoning spells are very poor for construction and stuff, since you can only command them for a few rounds before increasing DC's and the laws of random numbers mean you lose control and it does whatever it wants. Basically any other conjuration summoning would be more useful.
>>
>>44189759
I know. The player is more wanting to be King Solomon v.2 and have deals with them to do more 'good' deeds than just be summoned to wreck shit. I'm thinking of having it a case by case basis on how well and how long they do the work before vanishing/asking for more tribute.
>>
File: Elven_chain.jpg (101 KB, 400x880) Image search: [Google]
Elven_chain.jpg
101 KB, 400x880
Is mithral armor actually magical?

In 3.5 it was listed as nonmagical, but in 5E it's listed as a magic item.
>>
>>44178795
My group plays for about 6~7 hours on average. Some of the wives got kinda tired of it, and I just had a baby so we've been on hiatus for a few weeks. During the break, a lot of them have been watching Critical Role and now want to try it.

We're going to be aiming for shorter 3~5 hour sessions from here on out.
>>
>>44189664
Also another idea to tack on, end of session "medals" where everyone votes for best roleplayer, funniest moment, most damage, etc. And gets an associated xp reward
>>
>>44189829
Well the answer is that that depends on edition. Like you say, in 3.5 it wasn't, but it 5, it is.

That said, narratively, that makes no fucking sense. Mithril Armour is "simply" armour made from Mithril. Mileage should vary based on setting, not system. And no setting I know of considers Mithril/Mithral "magical" except maybe by it's widest possible definition.

Certainly not enchanted.
>>
>>44172189
Is that pic supposed to be fantasy Raiden
>>
>>44190228
Up to the DM/setting.

Quite a few of the magic items are alchemical or just rare materials, but where the line is drawn will vary from group to group.
>>
>>44188077
I thought it said not to do it lightly, then proceeded to give an example of it with no additional benefit to spellcasting. Not that bad really.
>>
>>44190320
>Raiden
>Using a shield that isn't his chin or pects
>>
>>44186276
Problem is that the plot is bit already about a massive cunt of a vampire decides that regular peasant blood just doesn't do it, goes to live in cursed castle and rigs it full of traps with his lich pal to filter weak adventurers and feasting on the best ones. Although I guess post-mortem vampirespawn shenanigans could be a possibility.
>>
>>44190482
was meant for
>>44187196
>>
>>44186276
Make it shadow monk, make the combat on dark room, abuse shadows.
>>
>>44185861
I typically don't like Vancian casting for the lower level magic, especially when a bunch of spells in the same Level can be exceptionally different in power, purpose and utility in and out of battle.
However, it feels fitting for most of the top end spells if only because you typically only have one or two slots, the kinds of big spells that you can cast one of them once and then you're done for the day if not for a longer period of time.

It comes off as skewed that a 1st level attack spell like Burning Hands that could potentially wipe out a half dozen minor enemies would have the same cost as the Detect Magic/Poison&Disease/Evil&Good series of spells, however that is alleviated as such minor, non-combat and concentration based spells can be cast as a Ritual and consume no spell slot.

Managing a single value of "mana" would be easier to keep track of than the number of multiple spell slots that have and have not been expended, but then there'd be a lot of deliberation regarding balance of mana costs for each spell relative to one another. ("Magic Missile's range, but only 1d4+1 x3 damage, Burning Hands close range 3d6 flame that can potentially hit six or so enemies bunched up. Do they both cost 3 Mana? Maybe MM costs 2 since it is weaker. Or no, BH should cost 2 since it has a chance of being evaded and the ability to hit many is situational")

I disagree on the Martial classes having a stamina limit for performing relatively mundane maneuvers. Recovering stamina, catching your breath, giving your legs a rest is something that only takes a matter of minutes of rest, and given that few fights stretch into more than a few minutes, the expected physical physique of even the weakest adventurers would make being worn out from performing a couple of fancy moves unusual.
Meanwhile magical energy comes off as something that has a greater toll on the mind/spirit, recovering at a much slower rate as the things they produce are much more fantastical.
>>
File: PHB4eCover.jpg (97 KB, 578x810) Image search: [Google]
PHB4eCover.jpg
97 KB, 578x810
>>44185861
>>44190705
Everyone should be casters
>>
This may have been asked before, or frowned upon, but other than taking Oath of the Ancients and Mage Slayer, how else would you go about making a good Mage/witch hunter? I'm about ready to try to make a new oath for paladins.
>>
File: Witch-Hunter-Class-FINAL-4.2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Witch-Hunter-Class-FINAL-4.2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44191309
>>
>>44188131
You should already be putting a time limit on their decisions for every encounter. 30 seconds is probably too much time desu. Ideally when it's their turn the player should already know what they want to do. The way I do it is that if they don't make a decision within a reasonable amount of time they take the Dodge action.
>>
What are some good ideas for festive holiday themed magic items? It can be Christmas, Hannukah, or whatever other holidays from around this time of year.
>>
>>44191593
A bag of holding.

Specifically santa's bag of holding.
>>
File: police_door.jpg (74 KB, 400x261) Image search: [Google]
police_door.jpg
74 KB, 400x261
>>44188131

For all its faults, there's a neat bit in Hoard of the Dragon Queen where some townsfolk are holed up in a church and a group of cultists are ramming down the front door:

> Time is pressing. While characters are inside the temple, remind them of the booming hammer blows of the battering ram against the front doors, the cracking timbers, the stones and sputtering torches that fly through the windows intermittently, the smoke rolling below the ceiling, and the frightened townsfolk. How much time you allow before the doors burst open depends on your group; slow thinkers and careful plotters need more time than fast movers. What’s important is that players feel pressed.

> To create a sense of pressure, give the front doors 30 hit points and let each thud of the battering ram deal 1d6 damage. When the doors reach 20 hit points, they have cracks large enough to see through. At 10 hit points, the doors are sagging in their hinges. At 5, they could collapse at the next impact. How frequently you roll the die is up to you! One roll every 15–20 seconds is a good target for an average group. One roll every 30 seconds might be better for a group that needs to debate and reach consensus, while a group containing quick-on-their-feet, take-charge types could deal with a roll every 10 seconds. Be flexible, keep an eye on the players’ level of tension, and don’t let anyone relax.
>>
>>44191502
That's cool and all but doesn't really feel like a mage hunter. Feels like, undead, demon and mutants
>>
>>44191309
Why ancients?

Frankly think I'd use hunter ranger as a base for a witch hunter, but whatever.
>>
>>44192064
Ancients gives you some anti-magic auras, anon.
>>
>>44192072
Ok, so you're looking for mechanical advantages. Ancients pally is fine, but I don't think it stacks up flavor-wise.

Personal preference, I guess.
>>
>>44190705
Spell points/mana never work as well as Vancian casting because it means you just spam your best spell until you exhaust yourself completely. It's boring and it results in a much narrower variety of spells actually getting used.
>>
>>44192111
Everything can be reflavored. You can't change the rules though.
>>
>>44191502
Another version was released of that. It's less restricted by the whole Witch Hunter movie. Now it focuses more on the blood magic aspect of it.
>>
>>44191309
Background: Witch Hunter.
>>
>>44192308

Do you have the revised version?

>>44192350

Are you talking about a homebrew background? That can cover more of the RP aspects of it I guess. I looked up Templar from Dragon Age and that's more what I'm going with I think, af least for the warrior sect. Now that I think about it though, a more inquisitor-esq style class is cool too.
>>
File: 1341092043619.png (14 KB, 376x260) Image search: [Google]
1341092043619.png
14 KB, 376x260
>running Out of the Abyss
>party agrees to help Themberchaud in exchange for his protection
>uses the dragon's protection to get some stuff done in the Darklake district
>they then suddenly decide they don't want to work for an evil dragon and ditch Gracklstugh without doing any of the things the Keepers of the Flame asked of them
Not sure if I want to give them a second chance or just skip right to the 18d6 fire breath.
>>
>>44191593
A red spherical gem that glows when the weather is a thick fog, near pitch-black night and/or very heavy storm. The radiance from the gem seems to guide you along a safe path to the destination in your mind. Said destination can not be a thing you're looking for, but a place you know the general location of already.

A modified Wand with a red spiraling pattern along the length of the rod. Instead of a "Ray of Frost", this Wand of Snow can create a gentle snowfall in a thirty foot radius over the course of several minutes, or remove up to 100 pounds of snow that has already fallen, similarly to the "Create/Destroy Water" spell.

A silken ribbon that a user can tie around an object to seal it magically, encasing it inside of a shimmering, impenetrable opaque cube just large enough to surround the object. The maximum dimensions of the cube can be [whatever limit you deem acceptable] and living things can not be inside of the cube. Only the person who tied the ribbon and any person(s) they have determined to be the recipient of the "gift box" can pull the ribbon to open it and dispel the cube. Any other person will be unable to undo the ribbon or open the container in any way (such as cutting or breaking it). Dispel Magic may or may not work to break the seal.
>>
>>44192568
>Alternately, can be rigged to open on a pre-set date.
>>
>>44192267
> can't change the rules
> creating a homebrew archetype
> doesn't see the irony
>>
>>44191026
Well it played better than this piece of shit. 5e class balance blows my nuts.
>>
>>44192499
Why would Themberchaud exchange with them in the first place? He tells them what to do and they get lost and do it. That's how red dragons work.
>>
>>44192476
>Are you talking about a homebrew background?
Yes.

>Now that I think about it though, a more inquisitor-esq style class is cool too.

And that can be done with any of the available material. In fact, my oath of vengeance paladin's title in-game is "High Inquisitor".

>>44191593
I don't know, I was planning on having my guys just receive a boon from !Santa.

>Players hear noises from wardrobe in their inn-room.
>Explore it, and they end up in snowy forest with the sound of battle in the distance.
>Elven Warrior finds them, assumes them to be the other team of Resistance fighters rescuing the general as the main army attacks the front.
>Infiltrate Keep where their leader is being kept by a self aware Frost Golem.
>See !Santa, chained up and shirtless in dungeon, bound by magical manacles.
>Release him and see the true power of Sinter Claus

Suggestions for our Christmas session?
>>
>>44192675
Because hes suspicious of the druegar and can only "trust" outsides, plus the whole "not all x are y" bullshit
>>
>>44192648
He's not making a homebrew archetype, he's using existing archetypes to RP a certain profession. Fewer DMs would throw a shitfit over that as opposed to whole new (and likely shitty) material.
>>
>>44191309
>>44191967
>>44192476

Anon here from these previous posts. I was looking around online for the mentioned change to the witch hunter class and found this fighter variant archetype, https://wrathofzombie.wordpress.com/2014/11/25/the-occult-slayer-witch-hunter-a-5e-fighter-martial-archetype/

What do you guys think of it? Looks like fun but am a little reserved that it will break the game.
>>
>>44192267
This, I refluffed my paladin into a "sacred fist",I refluffled +1 full plate into unarmored defense and my greatsword into unarmed attacks
>>
>>44192695
Yeah I can see the OoV being a cool stalker vs the arcane magics.
>>
>>44192675
Giving the party his protection makes it easier for the party to move about Gracklstugh and thus easier to accomplish the things Themberchaud wants them to do.

I imagine he'd be pissed that the party misused his generosity.
>>
File: cat.jpg (82 KB, 736x475) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
82 KB, 736x475
Figurine of Wondrous Power
Comfortable Cat
Wondrous Item, Rare

This electrum statuette of a cat can become a cat for up to 8 hours. Once it has been used, it can't be used again until 2 days have passed. If a creature is prone, the cat can rest upon it. This creature cannot stand up unless the cat is removed. Any creature attempting to remove the cat must make a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the cat can be moved and the creature is immune to the cat's effect for the next 8 hours.
>>
>>44186006
Eldritch Knight.
Moon Druid.
Bladesinger.
>>
>>44192869
Cats were already deadly enough as it is. Making them more powerful, even if it's a shitty homebrew subrace, is broken and overkill.

Nah, I like it. It seems like something a flighty witch would keep in her shack.
>>
>>44192905
Bladesinger is iffy since he doesn't have enough Dex to run anything but heavy armor.
>>
>>44192982
iffy?
>>
This is a stupid as shit question, but how is 5E for dungeon crawling?
>>
>>44192982
Oh that's right. I think my brain skipped out on the 'unable to switch dex and strength' thing.
>>
>>44193017
As good as you and the DM (or your players and you) make it I guess? I don't really get the question.

>>44186006
I would roll Warpriest (Cleric - War Domain)
>>
>>44192738
See >>44191309
Follow the thread or don't post.
>>
File: Etrigan.jpg (42 KB, 300x396) Image search: [Google]
Etrigan.jpg
42 KB, 300x396
I've been playing around with homebrew classes a little bit and I need advice.

How would y'all create a homebrew class that plays off of Etrigan/Jason Blood? Effectively having two characters in one, but not having them both be super OP.
>>
>>44193184
He's not too far off, I'd rather stay true to the rules without dipping into homebrew, but if I can't find what I need I might go that route.
>>
>>44193220
Maybe something like the UA ranger with its spirit animal? The general philosophy of power, but in short bursts. Maybe a level of exhaustion or a similar downside once it's used.

Then again I only know the character from the cartoon. Kinda weird they got away with an actual demon, unless there was some explanation I missed.
>>
File: hellboy-01-slide.jpg (37 KB, 630x472) Image search: [Google]
hellboy-01-slide.jpg
37 KB, 630x472
>>44193279
Satanic panic has been over for decades. The antichrist had two box office hits; nobody cares
>>
>>44193141
Why War, as opposed to something which requires less Str and utilizes your comparatively higher Wis more?

Admittedly, you'll need to get your Str to 15 anyway, but beyond that, you could easily go full Wis or Int instead. Or both, with some kind of unholy Nature Cleric/Wizard Shillelagh+Greenflame Blade combination, though, just thinking of that shit, I'd never do that myself.
>>
>>44193220
You could actually just play two different characters. It's not like they can both be around at the same time. Jason isn't at that anyway
>>
>>44193362
>Why War

Because I want to play a Warpriest.
>>
>>44193359
Well it's a children's cartoon (sorry /co/) and there were some really stupid rules if you listen to the commentaries. Like the characters weren't allowed to point guns at the "camera" for some reason (although they got away with a lot).

Then again it didn't feel like a children's cartoon by the end, with all the innuendo and death and such in Justice League Unlimited. Maybe the censors gradually gave up.
>>
What better ways are there for describing the difference between +1, +2 etc items other than "It has more magic in it."?
>>
>Masterwork
>Silvered
>Visions of past users flood through the users mind the first time they grasp the sword.
>Hums with power, almost vibrating in their hand. It's almost unnervingly light, and perfectly balanced. Swinging this axe feels less like a weapon, and more like an extension of their self.
>>
>>44193529
I rule plusses on magic items as not actually being enchantments but being exceedingly fine craftsmanship. Better balanced, thinner than a leaf's edge, etc.
>>
>>44193529
Page 141 of the DMG, "Special Features", and the subsequent tables. They should help give an idea of just how powerful the weapon is. Maybe it was a dagger mass-produced by the drow, or maybe it's a legendary artifact created by a powerful dragon.
>>
Playing in a game, We had 2 encounters and after each we all sat down for a short rest. Is it reasonable to do so that often? It just seems like there isn't much to worry about when you can short rest and bam up to nearly full fighting strength.
>>
>>44193671
>dragon creating a man-sized dagger
>dragon creating a dagger at all
>dragon creating any weapons or implements and not just basking in it's only draconic glory
>>
>>44193529
>This blade is remarkably sharp, has not rusted or lost its edge despite having been in these submerged ruins for what seems like centuries. Lightly testing its edge with a feather-light brush instantly scores a trail of blood down your thumb.
>This massive warhammer falls upon foes with all the weight it looks to have, yet it feels light and oddly wieldy in your hands, allowing you to perform maneuvers you would never have though possible.
>As you notch the next arrow on this bow, the clouds seem to just coincidentally drift overhead, shielding your eyes from the glare of the sun. The wind stills, and chance seems to have lined up the perfect conditions for your next shot, once again.
>You feel an odd sensation, almost of eagerness, as you draw this dagger. It seems to vibrate in your hand - or perhaps it's just you shivering in anticipation - as you contemplate your next strike, knowing somehow that your blade will aid you in seeking out the merest gaps in your foe's defenses.
>This waraxe looks fucking awesome. Enemies piss themselves in fear and are unable to maintain a proper guard as you approach with it in hand.
>This oversized dildo looks fucking ridiculous. Enemies piss themselves in laughter and are unable to maintain any semblance of composure as you approach with it in hand.
Take your pick m8
>>
>>44192227
Yes, that's a problem with it in a turn based system.

Unfortunately, all of 5e's spells are all essentially instant casts, 1 Action or Reaction. If everything can be cast as quickly as everything else, of course a character would throw meteors until they ran out of juice. The passage of time can be the balancing factor for that.

Spell points could work if spells took varying amounts of time. Higher level spells taking longer to cast would have the higher risk-reward of surviving more possible interruptions for one big hit versus several safer to execute, faster and weaker hits over time.

Problem with introducing that element into an alternative to balancing the easier to tally an "MP" number along with spell costs... the complexity comes back in a different way, keeping track of turns, and then you also end up with mages who are doing nothing several turns in a row, being wailed on by many melee fighters for a long time, similarly to tracking segments for casting in AD&D.
That kind of overbearing logistics would be crap at the table, the sort of thing that would only really work in a real time computer game.
>>
>>44193745
>they laugh now, but they will soon know the true power of the Magic Dildo Greatclub.
>>
File: X Party X.jpg (64 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
X Party X.jpg
64 KB, 736x547
>>44193706
Depends. If you aan area you can baricade (A room with one enterance) or somewhere that your not likely to be attacked (The side of the road or in the forest) then you should be fine, but if your in a dungeon, deep in a cave, or somewhere else enemies could easily stumble upon you, the DM should roll an encounter check to see if your rest is interrupted by some enemy force.
>>
>>44193836
Just a thought, how about you can cast it as an action, or take however many X rounds to cast a spell, where X = Spell Level? Casting this way doesn't expend a spell slot?

There are a few restrictions you'd have to make, but I feel like that could be a baseline for a good change in how magic is handled.
>>
My next campaign is going to be Out of the Abyss. I'm planning on playing as a shadow monk that's lawful neutral, what god should i align myself with?

My PC's trope is that he quotes lines from Wutang/members songs since he was raised with the clan as a child.
>>
>>44193529
I'd go with a +1 and +2 as being a weapon identifiable by any Martial character proficient with the type of weapon it is. +3 would be the point where it becomes imbued with magical assistance and more than that is "just more magical".
Of course, though the +1 +2s are described as "not magic" in this manner, they'll still go by the rules of ignoring any enemy's resistance to normal attacks like a magic weapon ("normal" being comparatively crappy/average weapons). And if it's broken and Mended, it won't be "as good as it used to be".

Something like:
+1 = A masterwork by a skilled artisan, not magical. "You notice that this sword holds its keen edge even after many impacts. Its parts expertly measured and pieced together, it feels amazingly balanced in your hands, making it a more effective weapon."

+2 = A peerless masterwork using the finest materials, so great that even a layman can spot the quality, still not magical. "Clearly made to withstand an entire war, you tap the end of this damascus sword to hear the blade sing beautifully, your hand on the grip not feeling the vibration at all. It feels like a perfect weapon in every way."

+3 = A masterwork that also has had some skilled magic user reinforcing it further. "The Wizard in your party inspects the magical effect on this beautifully forged blade and determines that the weapon has some sort of guiding effect. Slightly correcting the arc or adjusting the angle of its user's swing or thrust, the blade will assist the wielder by moving towards more vital areas of the opponent's body."
>>
i'm looking for "quick reference.pdf"
it's the unofficial one
>>
>>44194566
>>44193529
... Although, I'd rather avoid just giving players a "+1 item" and instead put some other interesting effect on it.

+1 Sword? Add a bit of functional flavor to it to make it more unique. When you point the tip northward, the blade glows ever so slightly to allow you to identify your orientation, both an effective weapon and a compass. This faint magical effect happens to strengthen the weapon in combat as well. Situational, If you thrust the blade towards an enemy to the north of you, it will deal an extra +1 Force damage (on top of the +1 enhancement).

Stuff like that. Imagine the sort of nonsense the owner of that sword will attempt just so he can be south of the thing he's attacking.
>>
>>44194943
that kind of boost is so finicky and insignificant people would be prone to forgetting it.
>>
>>44194566
>Of course, though the +1 +2s are described as "not magic" in this manner, they'll still go by the rules of ignoring any enemy's resistance to normal attacks like a magic weapon
And what's the explanation for that?
>>
Just started my first game of DnD, as a DM no less. Spent 30-40 hours learning how to play, figuring out how to build encounters, learning about loot, etc. The players completely forget their character motivations as start robbing and killing everything and everybody. God. Damnit.
>>
>>44196339
If it was their first time playing an RPG, you may have wanted to give them pre-built characters and a more-or-less set adventure path, to teach them the basic concepts of RPGs before you take the training wheels off.
>>
>>44196339
This is not unique to first time DMs or players. Your group is shitty, and shitty players do not necessarily become better with experience.

Do you have a local meetup for roleplayers? I've had a reasonable amount of luck there. Do not, for the love of God, join an online game; that way lies damnation.
>>
>>44196440
They're first time players as well. We're all fairly close friends from before the campaign, so we're set on playing together. I'm the nerdiest out of the group, even if this wasn't my idea, so they're having trouble grasping that this isn't like playing an RPG video game. One of the players was utterly shocked they weren't going to reach 20th level by the end of the month. But yeah, learning experience for all of us. They want to learn, but I don't want to be that asshole DM that screams "That's not in character!" every time one of them opens their mouth.
>>
>>44196381
In retrospect, that may have been a good idea. I think only one of the four actually picked a race in the player's handbook. They just looked through some random websites and picked what they thought would be fun. I had to completely homebrew one race because the dude was dead set on playing a giant tree and thought dryads were roaming tree dudes and complained when I mentioned there would be disadvantages to being a giant sore thumb, as well as a completely different size from any human-like race.
>>
>>44196498
If you're set on turning lead into gold, see if you can't locate an experienced dm to take you through the first couple of sessions. Learning in a vacuum is hard.

>>44196381's suggestion to go with pre-made characters is good, and since everybody's new you're probably less likely to get accused of railroading.

Rather than winge about what is/isn't in character, make sure their actions have consequences: kill and rob a guy? If he's got anything worth stealing, he's probably flush enough for the watch to get involved. Kill the watchman? Send the whole watch. NPCs aren't gonna stand for psychopaths in town.

No town? Bandits. If you have something worth stealing, someone's bound to want to take it.
>>
>>44196564
>the dude was dead set on playing a giant tree

Was his name Groot?
>>
>>44196262
The very next set of words in parentheses.
It'd be similar to the older editions' defining "Masterwork" equipment, which were +1 Enhancement on creation.

Crafting an item with such skill that it is a Masterwork doesn't require any magical involvement.
However the +1 it has technically would rule it as a magical item... even though it wasn't made with magic.
It's just so well made that it beats out the nonmagical damage resistance, it seems as far as the rules were concerned in previous editions.

A +1 sword could be magically enhanced to or just a masterfully crafted weapon better than the average, the two swords next to each other have the same functionality, the only difference is the flavor text you may give to each.
>>
>>44196564
>I think only one of the four actually picked a race in the player's handbook. They just looked through some random websites and picked what they thought would be fun.
> I had to completely homebrew one race because the dude was dead set on playing a giant tree and thought dryads were roaming tree dudes and complained when I mentioned there would be disadvantages to being a giant sore thumb, as well as a completely different size from any human-like race.
>>44196440 might have been right; this may be beyond saving.
Seriously, get someone who knows what they're doing and is comfortable saying no to DM.
>>
>>44196787
The tree man is the only race that's really out there. One stuck to the book and played a tiefling warlock, the other played a duregar rogue, and the last plays a satyr bard. They've been pretty calm on the cheese, but they've also blown through every encounter I've thrown at them, through my own fault. I only realized at start of the session how woefully unprepared I was for combat. Keeping track of people's placement and balancing how many encounters they have a day is murder,
>>
>>44196989
>Keeping track of people's placement
Just draw a rough map on scrap paper, or use a grid as in 4e.

>balancing how many encounters they have a day is murder
Always plan for more than you need, and give them just enough to push them to need to be careful with their resources. Players generally don't enjoy dying, but breezing through everything also becomes uninteresting after a while.

As for characters, you are fully entitled to say 'I have a particular setting, or a starting hook, that would make that difficult to fit in. Could you play something else instead?' or 'I don't know how I would stat that, and whether it would be balanced against the other characters. It would be a lot easier for you to use something from the published sources. Feel free to refluff within reason.'

They're your players, but you're their DM too. Just as it's your job to make things enjoyable for them, they should understand that it's theirs to make things enjoyable for you.
>>
What's a good pre made adventure I can run for my side group who's new to the game and I'm just trying to get them into the game?

I'm trying to focus my work and effort on my main group who's level 8 and need the challenge and love to RP so story is harder to write.
>>
>>44197220
I love that the answer to this question is unironically Lost Mines of Phandelver on every level.
>>
>>44197220
I hear Mines of Phandelver is good.
>>
>>44197220
Lost Mines of Phandelver. It's in the starter set.
>>
>>44197249
Its ok if your DM is not Virt.
>>
>>44197250
>>44197249
>>44197244
Will do, thanks
>>
>>44197800
Read the whole thing before Dming.
Prepare everyting you need to prepare, be ready.
And... good luck.
>>
So I'm probably going to DM for a handful of friends, but I would like to avoid Lost Mines and Princes of Apocalypse since I don't want to get spoilers (I play them already) and HotDQ since one of the players is already DMing it.

I'm experienced in DMing other systems, I just want to know if there is tools to help scaling encounters, dungeon maps and the like.
>>
>>44197919
>tools to help scaling encounters
http://kobold.club
>>
Soooo... Fifth Edition Foes... any good?
Needing some more undead for my LMOP campaign that has gone, far, far off the rails, and Kolbold is popping up a lot of mobs from that book. Thing is, I haven't heard of it. What is its deal?
>>
Hopefully the order of the knife for the Mystic class won't suck.
>>
>>44178823
Your friends sound gay, Holmes.
>>
>>44197249
It is very good. The only con to the adventure is the young green dragon that can completely party wipe you if you have a small party and try to fight it. My group had 7 people and we still almost lost half of the group.

>>44197358
I hear this name alot in these threads. is he some former /tg/ poster who was a complete asshole or something?
>>
File: Thick Elf Cock.png (286 KB, 439x684) Image search: [Google]
Thick Elf Cock.png
286 KB, 439x684
How do I monk, teeg?
>>
>>44198848
Ugh... that spoiler got taken down by my group way too easily. It blows my mind how much RNG can change things. Virt was a very abrasive fellow, and very dedicated to being that way.

>>44198741
We don't have it in the links ether... some sort of homebrew?
>>
File: Elf Queen Guard.jpg (201 KB, 1178x1600) Image search: [Google]
Elf Queen Guard.jpg
201 KB, 1178x1600
>>44199030
>Go wood elf, variant human, or ghostwise halfling.
>Go open hand if you want a generally good monk, go shadow is you want more stealth and utility, go sun if you want ranged attacks.
>Max Wisdom and Dexterity.
>Punch everything

That should cover all the bases.
>>
>>44199044
Thats pretty impressive. The only reason our group got out alive is because the colossus slayer ranger crit so she did like 40 damage in one attack and then our paladin got a solid smite off, which caused him to flee.
>>
Got it right this time.
I've got a campaign hook I've been planning on putting out applications for, because where I come from fucking everyone and their dog wants to play 5e and there aren't enough DMs.

The players owe their lives to various people, and that 'debt' is passed up the food chain until a royal decree goes out to have them pay it off in a set of suicide missions and general player character shenanigans.
Assuming they survive more than one mission (they should) every character has the chance to explain what their particular debt was and the others get a glimpse into their backstories.
>>
File: the devil and god.jpg (306 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
the devil and god.jpg
306 KB, 1200x1200
What are some cool ways or ideas to make a necromancer who isn't all gloom and doom?
Alternatively, what is the best path to create at least a 10 man squad of skeletons or zombies?
>>
>>44199395
I had a necromancer who was just seeking immortality, ended up learning how to raise the dead, but was more obsessed with enjoying life as long as possible, the zombies and skeletons were just useful things he picked up down the road
>>
>>44199395
He thinks raising dead is fucking hilarious and keeps doing it to mess with people

Or he believes in the righteous value that all dead should have the right to prove themselves after death, resurrecting them for one final fight to show their true prowess
>>
File: 1289183178861.jpg (41 KB, 351x450) Image search: [Google]
1289183178861.jpg
41 KB, 351x450
>>44199203
Frustrating is what it was
>Fighter/wiz wanders off on his own
>Crosses the area on his own
>Goes into tower, ON HIS OWN
>Gets surprised going through loot
>Tries talking way out of it for about 5 seconds
>Mid sentence dives out tower window with loots
>Rest of party sees/hears ensuing rage mode, begins to dash over
>Fightwiz dives inside giant spider corpse ala star wars, casts Fog Cloud
>Cue failed perception checks, and partial cover/shield antics saving his ass
>Rest of party catches up, circle it
>Fighter crossbows, Sorc/druid slings spells, War cleric gets in there
>War cleric gets green mist for trouble, shrugs it off, starts axing
>Fightwiz comes out to help chop
>After many low and high rolls, it tries to bail (half health per module) after one last attempt to smush low health fightwiz
>Cue opportunity attacks
>Cue fighter blowing inspiration, landing a crit, just below max possible damage with crossbow
>Cue sorcdru moving as far as possible, to JUST get within range for upgraded sleep
>Falling damage, falling GM tears
>party dashes to wreckage
>another green blast, 2 drop right there
>sordru gets clawed down
>dwarven fighter brings down the axe on a neck Damn Hard
>Stabilizes other members

The next couple sessions were them carting back every bit of it they could carry so they could sell, make armor out of, and stick the skull over Fightwiz's extorted bar.

mfw
>>
>>44199145
>Wood Elf

LIKE A FUCKING ELK!
>>
File: 1445943099054.png (796 KB, 1912x4838) Image search: [Google]
1445943099054.png
796 KB, 1912x4838
>>44199395
My go to necromancer is a man who is obsessed with the undead. He loves the undead because he views it as the closest thing to immortality ever discovered. He also sees undead as "only evil if their caretaker uses them that way". His goals in life involve raising and living with undead, discovering how to give undead sentience so they can fully enjoy being alive again, and finding a way to turn himself undead without become some evil lich who steals peoples souls.

Pic above is also an element I've incorporated into my necromancer.
>>
>>44199640
Thats beautiful. I only wish i could of been at the table to watch this unfold live.
>>
>>44198741

Here's a link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/23y7xhacy3qpf91/Creature+-+Multiple+-+Fifth+Edition+Foes+%28Necromancer+Games%29.pdf

Note that it's shit. "1st edition feel" apparently means a lot of obnoxious creatures with lengthy diseases, paralyzing poisons, a CR4 creature that can cast Finger of Death, a CR3 monster that plants a seed that reduces max hit points by 1d10 per day until the target dies and can only be removed via Greater Restoration or Blight.

Only use if your players express a tendency towards masochism.
>>
>>44200301

Also of note is the Clamor, a CR2 creature that can make everyone within 50 ft. permanently deaf if they fail a DC 13 CON throw, and moves 6,730 feet per round. Oh and it's invisible and can move through walls.
>>
>>44178823
Just homebrew, man.
>>
>>44200148
It's par the course for their bullshit, which I had hoped would kind of die down when we switched to 5th edition. It didn't, which is why I need this>>44200301 (thank you kind sir, masochism is absolutely perfect) since after I tried ramping up encounters to what I assumed was a CR bug.
Now there is a necrotic Fisher King situation across the module area after an orc raid on Phandalin, a castle full of bugbears making an industry of greater invisibility potions, the cleric is off to try and take control of the orcs by defeating their leader, who she left at the alter on a drunken bender, the fightwiz is still trying to turn the Sleeping Giant into a cultural alchoholic revolution, the sorcdru banged the elf cleric and drops everything to save the smith for D-armor,
and the fighter, who get notoriously low rolls all the time for everything unless he REALLY needs it is the only one acting responsible.
...they don't even know cragmaw castle exists yet...
...I just ramped things up the first time because I wanted them to try talking for once...
If you every DM, beware throwing constant Deadly encounters in the hopes of "talking it out"
Runaway train man.
>>
File: 1448744025364.jpg (58 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1448744025364.jpg
58 KB, 720x405
>>44199145
i keep hearing everyone go on about hadoken monk but no one talks about slow death monk.

good or not?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.