[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it's a rust monster
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
File: original.jpg (25 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
25 KB, 600x375
>it's a rust monster
>>
>some dumbass tries to make thermite with it
>rages when he gets BTFO
>>
File: 1438141326680.gif (1 MB, 300x170) Image search: [Google]
1438141326680.gif
1 MB, 300x170
>Got my equipment rust-proofed

Always always always. If for literally no other reason that to see the look on the DM's face when he finds out too late.
>>
>>44155157
>Implying a creature that can magically rust even non-ferrous metals instantly will give a fuck about rust proofing.
>>
>>44155264
>Be Druid
>Only Wood and leather for equipment
haha
>>
File: Shiiiit.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Shiiiit.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>44155002
>a lot of our party has small romance/befriend plots so we find npc's we want to protect
>bbeg are sabbath based off the seven deadly sins
>my PC's a Giovanni who has to deal with a sister whose fallen in love with him.
>he's notorious for being mentally unstable (as often fucks up on the self control and willpower rolls despite that being his highest stats)
>I fall down a pit into the arms of a boss that my party must now free me from
>Mfw its Lust
>>
>>44155298
>be druid
haha
>>
File: 1444934557210.jpg (22 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1444934557210.jpg
22 KB, 480x480
>>44155002
>it's a greentext thread
>>
>>44155264
You can magically rust-proof equipment you nincompoop.
>>
>>44155330
Roll to seduce.
> Be DMing Pathfinder on a Eberron style setting.
> Party is a bard who has installed giant speakers on the airship for psychological warfare, Lawful evil Lich-to-be undeath priest, a autistic irl barbarian, and a rouge
>visiting giant cathedral in theocratic dictatorship
>Lichpriest starts fucking with the local priesthood.
>they pull out magitek tanks on him
>oshit.PNG
>rest of party rushes todo the rescue. Bard starts revolution against theocracy with a nat 20 on his roll
>barbarian smash
>priest just up and raising undead
>where is the rouge?
> rouge is stealing the magitek tan
>succeeds
>they got a tank now
>campaing is fucked
>>
>>44155002

>Using a stone maul
Since when do i give a shit about Rust Monsters?
>>
File: 1371672755236.jpg (68 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1371672755236.jpg
68 KB, 640x480
>>44155002
I miss the Chorus. They were some good antimetal monsters.
>>
File: 1450017172639.jpg (13 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1450017172639.jpg
13 KB, 500x375
>It's a shitty greentext one liner thread
>>
>>44155984
>rouge
fucking kek'd sounds like Black Crusade in D&D. Tell your GM to continue the campaign as your party become the BBEG waging war on innocents. Your party sounds evil enough as it is, you might as well go full villain at this point.

>Cont of Vtm shenanigans
The list of what shit the Giovanni lawyer has had to deal with
>Sister whose fallen in love with him and convinced him into ghouling her
>she has been made blind by a high ranking triad.
>of course, being Giovanni have to deal with new york gang warfare
>His supposed "Bodyguard" consumed a nurse in front of cameras disguised as him
>Police blow his legs off with shotguns causing him to be in a wheelchair until the next 3 sessions where hes forced into black market shady deals to get new limbs.
>head of mafia decides to fuck around with him by dominating him into believing he was a woman and his date for a day.
>saw a vampire get raped, frenzies because of how disturbing it was, was pinned down and force to watch by the victim of all people.
>May have to kill another party member's sire for the family.
>despite having high self control and will, he's failed so many tests involving them he got given Melancholia.
>His asshole of an Uncle, and the mafia head knows almost every single secret PC has kept, and drugged or dominated him to get it.
>>
File: Casuls_2.jpg (34 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Casuls_2.jpg
34 KB, 480x360
>>44155002
>not having nonmetal backup equipment
>>
>>44155002
cant rust fists
>>
Is bitching about Rust Monsters the spicy new meme of Holidays 2015?

Seriously it's not even a hard encounter if literally any player isn't a stone-cold retard.
>>
>>44155157
>DM's face when he finds out too late
>when he finds out too late
>when he finds out
>finds out

WELP, you're thatguy. Have fun with that.
>>
File: aluminum-2.jpg (756 KB, 2160x1440) Image search: [Google]
aluminum-2.jpg
756 KB, 2160x1440
>>44155264
>rust even non-ferrous metals
well, i mean, most every metal can oxidise and that's certainly what rust means in layman's terms.
>>
Just take a tree branch or a couple rocks and kill the thing. It only has like 20 health right?
>>
>>44158206
I must be missing something because I don't think I've ever encountered one. What is the point of a rust monster aside from inducing rust. Does it just destroy PCs armor and weapons when trying to use metal objects to attack it?

I don't see how this is annoying aside from being a money sink of PCs losing their gear.
>>
>>44158592
It destroys metal by rusting it and then eats the rust. If you strike it with metal, the metal rusts. If it touches anything metal with its feathery antenna, it rusts. They're mostly harmless other than that, and potentially could be tamed if you have a lot of scrap metal around.
The threat is that they leave you unarmed and unarmored in a dangerous environment where there are other monsters.
>>
>>44158592
Bad GM's use Rust Monsters to punish overpowered parties, that is to say, parties which the GM has allowed to have too much good equipment.
Bad players don't know how to deal with Rust Monsters, and hit them with swords and get grappled, which destroys armor and weapons.
Any reasonable GM will show the players what the Rust Monster does before the combat. Any decent player will recognize the danger and will treat the encounter accordingly.

That and players whine like little babies when their gear is destroyed.
>>
>>44158697
So, I'll just ask the obvious since I'm not a seasoned player to TTRPGs. Why doesn't the DM just homebrew enemies and scale them so they are actually difficult instead of making the players lose their equipment?

I did the same mistake giving my players cool magical items and all I did was scale shit and that was the end of it. Now they are getting out of serious fights with an inch of their life.
>>
>>44158857
>Why doesn't the DM just homebrew enemies and scale them...?
Good question. I guess the answer is that I am comfortable building stat-blocks and putting the extra work in, but not every GM has the time, creativity or energy to do such.
Further, it can be difficult to scale encounters as such, and something which you thought might be a challenge is trivial, and vice versa.

Also, it's
>within an inch of their life
>>
>>44158697
>Any reasonable GM will show the players what the Rust Monster does before the combat.
For fuck's sake, it's like people don't even know what knowledge checks are.

The PCs live in the world. A GM who isn't complete garbage should at least let them roll to determine whether they already know about rust monsters. That is assuming this isn't common knowledge that any bozo and his grandpa should know, in which case they should just be told outright what it is and what it does.

Also, players in dnd should be prepared. The melee guys need a golf bag of melee weapons (non-rusting, silver, magic, bludgeoning, piercing, slashing) that they are at least sort of good with, plus at least one ranged option that has a lot of ammo and isn't a complete waste of time (protip: 1d8+2 once per round is a waste of time). That's like the bare minimum to not get rendered utterly useless by common enemy types.
>>
>>44158287
It's the DM's fault not mine, if I say I want to get my gear enchanted with Everbright, or I want to buy a Gauntlet of Rust, and he approves but doesn't know what they are or do and doesn't bother to check.
>>
>>44159308
Sure. Knowledge checks are a thing, but if I'm running a Rust Monster encounter then I'm going to have the Monster chewing on some fucking swords or some armor if it's their first contact with the beast. This is above and beyond any sort of abstract knowledge roll, I'm showing the players what the encounter does and what's going to happen to their equipment.
>>
>>44159333
>I don't even know what this enchant does
>PC wants to get it
>Too insecure to just ask him
>SURE! WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
>>
>>44155036
Don't railroad your players anon. Player agency is super important, and you need to let them make thermite if they say their characters would make thermite.
>>
>>44155157
>Trying to surprise the GM by not telling him you've done something
>Which literally means you haven't done it as far as the GM's concerned

Must hurt to be this stupid.
>>
>>44159568
fuck off.
There is no reason to allow things which don't exist in the game world.
>>
>>44159639
He was sarcasting
>>
>>44159531
Or just too lazy.

"Hey DM, can I get my armor enchanged with X?"
"With what? Ah sure, go ahead!"
>>
File: 1208491698460.jpg (24 KB, 318x520) Image search: [Google]
1208491698460.jpg
24 KB, 318x520
>My Fey Wizard wears armor made of leaves, a wooden staff and a blade made from the sleep of the innocent
OH NO YOU DON'T NIGGER.
>>
Our DM loves Rust Monsters, thinks they are the most creative and original thing about DnD.
No adventure is complete without at least two seperate Rust Monster encounters.
And our parties are never complete without at least half of us knowing Rust Monster lore in response.
>>
>>44161361
You'd think by the time you've memorized the statblock your GM would know to drop the encounter.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.