[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magic Items Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: 1449539321202.jpg (81 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
1449539321202.jpg
81 KB, 570x570
Hey /tg/, I'm looking for some interesting ideas for magic items in a D&D campaign I'm running right now. What are some of the more unique/odd/intriguing items you've encountered or used?
>>
>>44152312
Wait a sec, I have a dongeon somewhere with two magic items, here's a bump.
>>
I throw this thing I like to call the "Leery Lantern" into pretty much every campaign I run at some point or another. It's just a lantern that glows brighter the closer the holder is to something that means them harm. It's incredibly useful for invisible opponents, but can obviously backfire if you have it out when you're trying to be sneaky beaky.
>>
The Bad Penny

A single gold coin that, once attuned to a person, will always make its way back into the welder's pocket as soon as it isn't being observed by anyone.

Simple, but there's a lot if tricky things you can do with it.
>>
Wand of vibration. You can guess what it does.
>>
>>44152516
That is really interesting, actually. It feels almost like a cursed item, I like it.
>>
Belt of Fickle Immortality

A plain, brown leather belt with a oroboros wroght in silver for its buckle.
While worn, all injuries sustained by the wearer. Cuts still appear, but the do not bleed. Bones are still broken, but they cause the wearer no pain and do not impede him.
If the belt is ever removed, forcefully or by choice, all of the wounds suffer while wearing the belt hit the wearer at once.
This can cause massive blood loss, unconsciousness, even death.
>>
>>44152604
Let me guess, made by the Wizard Hitachi?
>>
Here, I found them.
They're pretty basic, but we had fun with them.

>Khtir'va the hat of pride.
Luck up. (Successes are more common)
Gives the "blessed" attribute (Critical successes are more beneficial)
Ignore pain.
Ignore fatigue.
Quickly provokes an obsession in the wearer.
If lost, must be found under half a day or lose sanity.
If destroyed, wearer will lose sanity.

>Old golden bracelet.
When a hit would a killed the wearer, make the wearer fall at 1 HP instead.
When this effect activate, all of his stats are temporarily upped by 1 levels, except his defensive stats which are upped by 4.
This effect lasts until the end of the fight, or he takes damage again while at 1HP, at which point the wearer will die or fall unconscious, depending on damage calculations.
Using this artifact too much slowly makes the wearer violent, restless, and in the end entirely insane.
>>
Trickster's Shield

A curved metal shield made if several metals swirled together by some unknown means and polished to a mirror shine. In the center of the shield, burned as if by oily fire, is a single rune, the name of a forgotten trickster god.

Whomever holds the shield is blessed with uncanny luck in battle. Arrows, spells and blades alike turn aside, miraculously deflected or missing entirely.
Those around the bearer however, seem to suffer the opposite. Blows meant for the bearer seem to uncannily swerve at the last instant and hit nearby friends or foes.
>>
>>44152684
I'm using that hat. That is a nice hat.
>>
>>44152855
Thanks, we had fun with it, hope you do too.
>>
File: goodpenny.png (188 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
goodpenny.png
188 KB, 600x337
>>44152516
>The Good Penny
>>
File: Sword of 1,000 Truths.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Sword of 1,000 Truths.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44152312
For 5e
>>
File: Ultima Weapon.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ultima Weapon.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44152950
For 3.5/PF
>>
>>44152950
>>44153000
These are obnoxiously time consuming to use at best.

>>44152684
The hat is neat.

Here are some magic items from the island campaign I'm running right now:

Coralloy Spike:
Less a magic item and more an enchanted and engineered living coral, this amphibious organism is shaped like a dagger (and can be used as one). It can subsist by being submerged in the ocean for 1 hour a day, but it prefers blood. After drawing blood for the first time in a day, it grows stronger, becoming a +1 dagger. The first time each day that it is planted in a fresh corpse and left to feed for one round, it will attune to that kind of blood. The first time it is used to strike a creature of the same species again that day, it releases a paralytic toxin that immobilizes the target for 3 rounds (Con save DC 13 negates)
>>
File: tinmug.jpg (107 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
tinmug.jpg
107 KB, 800x600
Mug of Purification.

Any liquid poured into this plain-looking tin mug instantly becomes clean, clear water.
>>
>>44154974
Gambit's Crack-Rocks
These single-use sling bullets are like miniature bags of holding that specially crafted to contain a full dose of alchemist's fire, holy water, or other alchemical substance. If they strike a target, the sling bullet does normal damage, and the struck target is immediately affected as if they had been splashed with the included alchemy. The bullets release a fair amount of heat when cracking, not enough to do damage, but enough to ignite Alchemist's fire.

The Deal-Broker's Coin:
This coin radiates no magic despite its powerful enchantment. If this coin is used as payment for a good or service, both the buyer and seller are rendered incapable of telling a false word to each other for as long as either party possesses either the coin of the purchased good, or until the service is completed. If either the buyer or the seller attempts to say something that is untrue, that person's mouth and lungs feel as if they were filling with hot ash. The coin does not prevent subtler forms of deception from being used; only literal untruths are impossible. Creatures that are resistant to magic may sometimes be able to ignore the coin.
>>
>>44155048
>Any liquid
So if you poured alchohol in, would it turn into water?
What about poison?
Honey?
Melted chocolate?
Molten glass?
Molten iron?
Does the temperature of the water stay the temperature of the liquid poured into it?
I'm not sure in what way this would be useful, beyond the obvious benefit of "clean, clear water" but it's got some interesting implications.
>>
>>44152516
Why is it called the bad penny if it's literally a gold coin that forever returns into your pockets?
>>
>>44155710
Well you can't really spend it.
What is the purpose of a coin but to be exchanged for goods and services? If it can't be used for that, then it fails as a coin.
>>
>>44155644
>I'm not sure in what way this would be useful, beyond the obvious benefit of "clean, clear water" but it's got some interesting implications.
recycling piss
>>
>>44155840
>as soon as it isn't being observed by anyone
So what you do is:
>Pay someone for a small thing
>a mug of ale, that sort of shit
>give them the bad penny
>when they put it away, it's back in your pocket
>>
>>44152312

Lord Marek's Compliments
A magical warhammer. Bequeathed to the party with the compliments of Lord Marek.
The wielder of Lord Marek's Compliments gains "My compliments to your armorsmith, good sir." Once per day.
Make a melee weapon attack. On a hit, you deal damage equal to the target's AC.

The campaign that item's from was a blast.
>>
>>44155902
That is called fraud, Anon.
You are not exchanging the coin for a good or service, you're just stealing shit in a way that makes it unlikely you'll be caught.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.