[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How wands work in 4E
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_npef2dPp0f1rtynt1o1_540.jpg (259 KB, 486x810) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npef2dPp0f1rtynt1o1_540.jpg
259 KB, 486x810
First time playing D&D (4e), playing a Bard, and I was told to choose an implement. So I spend 7gp on a Wand, but it has no effect? Was it just a waste of gold?
>>
If I recall correctly, non-magic implements, are, in fact, worthless. Some DMs might rule that you need them to use the power at all, but I do not believe that is RAW.

Basically you only start really needing one once you start getting magic ones.

Magic wands can hold an arcane encounter power as a daily power, or there can have various other effects.
>>
4E is shit. Quit now.
>>
>>44140738
So it was actually a waste of gold, unless I get the Enchanting ritual and a shitton more gold. Thanks

>>44140788
Not very helpful.
>>
>>44138543
YOU'RE A BARD. Your wand doesn't even need fucking magic.

You can literally just use it to bluff your way out of bad situations, like this:

"STOP RIGHT THERE! This is a Wand of... Fuckhuge Fireball! If you come any closer I'll blow you up so hard only your smoldering shoes will remain!"
>>
>>44138543
A superior wand would have done something for you. I think those are in Mordenkainen's?

Pay 20gp for an accurate wand if you can find it. The +1 to attack rolls is worth it.
>>
>>44141145
Alternatively, you could use it to assist you in wooing the bitches/bros(Bisexual bards are the best kind). Give them swaggy lines like, "Hey comely, I've got a wand of enlargement, want to see it in action?"

Why not try and think of it this way? You have a wand that can cast anything you please, all you gotta do is convince people that it can do so.

The magic is in the words, not the wand.
>>
>>44138543
Magical implements are just there to fill the the same role that weapons would for a martial class. Do just as you need a sword to hit people effectively and you need wand/staff/whatever to cast your spells proper.
>>
>>44141145
>>44141223
Didn't think of it that way, thanks.

>>44141407
I think I understand it now. Thanks
>>
>>44141577
Yeah it's basically just the Magic users' of accessories. It's more thematic than anything.

There is supposed to be penalties if you don't have it with you (the same is armour and weapons) but you're basically assumed to always have it with you ( again like weapons and armour). It's mainly just there to be a place holder for the magical +1 version that you get later really.
>>
>>44141177
He'd need a feat to use them though and get the effect though.
>>
>>44146032
Yeah, but some DM's give out 'math fix' feats for free. It would be a thing to talk to the dungeon master about before game.
>>
Non-enchanted wands, staves and orbs are only for wizards. They get bonuses based on a class feature at level 1. Know I'm a bit late to this but you wasted you'r gold.
>>
>>44146509
All is not lost.

>1d10 uses for a non-enchanted wand:
1) 1/10 of a 10' pole
2) 1/2 of a pair of fancy chopsticks
3) Measuring stick
4) Meat skewer
5) Bookmark
6) Paint stirrer
7) Back scratcher
8) Houseplant support
9) Splint
10) Improvised sex toy
>>
>>44146578
But sticks are free
>>
>>44146613
Think of this as a masterwork stick. It grants a +1 circumstance bonus to all skill checks that might be performed with a stick.
>>
As others have said, the non-magical wand has no effect per se, but it can count if you have the appropriate feats, and you can upgrade it later.
Also, don't worry about that 7 gold, you should catch up soon.
>>
>>44146075
Technically, that's not a math fix feat. Those are more things like Wand Expertise and the like. But you can always talk to the DM to see if you can get stuff for free.
>>
>>44146578
Aren't all of those improvised sex toy's if you really try though?
>>
>>44146635
Well even without Superior implements, Wand expertise allows to ignore cover on wand attacks, so it's not that bad.
>>
>>44146648
Everything is a sex toy if you're brave enough.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.