[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When are we going back to lorwyn? it seems like a much more interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: ftl57_shapesharerSplash.jpg (53 KB, 620x384) Image search: [Google]
ftl57_shapesharerSplash.jpg
53 KB, 620x384
When are we going back to lorwyn? it seems like a much more interesting place Innistrad and we have been away from it for a while.
>>
>>44133235
Its story is up, and a major distinguishing feature of the plane has been eliminated. So something will have to intrude and break the new status quo first.
>>
>>44133700
The art was better than most sets
>>
I'm actually glad we're probably not going back to Lorwyn any time soon.

Once Wizard's gets over their obsession with everything having to center around the planeswalkers, then we can return to Lorwyn so it's not ruined by planeswalekrs shitting things up there.
>>
>>44133779
Yeah, and almost all of the playerbase barely looks at the art and can't name any MtG artists beyond John Avon, rk post, and Rebecca Guay. WotC, in their money-devouring way, will only make a set if they think they can market it. Lorwyn is before the Innistrad surge in players, so the biggest draw will be nostalgia, for the 40% who remember, and mechanics, for the 60% who don't. Or whatever the ratio is.
>>
I don't have the exact figures but I remember reading that Lorwyn was a commercial failure.

It's a shame because I like the fairytale style of fantasy that Lorwyn portrays. Why does everything have to be so grimdark all the time?
>>
>>44133235
>When are we going back to lorwyn?
Right after going back to Kamigawa.
>>
>>44134563
fuck off
>>44134536
it failed because of that "complex board states" bullshit maro hates.
He thinks the basic math of combat gets too complex with keywords like wither.
Bad jew.... you're supposed to like math
>>
>>44137222

To be fair, lorwyn was literally too complex for a lot of the illiterate retards who play magic. Can you imagine a set with Lorwyn mechanics now?
>>
>>44137222
It wasn't Shadowmoor that had the complex board states, it was Lorwyn - what with its plethora of tribal effects everyfuckingwhere and Tribal cards.
Shadowmoor did a hell of a lot better than Lorwyn did, actually.
>>
>>44133235

We never will, but it is for the best. I don't want them to sully Lorwyn with modern magic design.

I hope you enjoy returning to ravnica, zendikar, and innistrad every other year.
>>
>>44139273
But what if I want to see Lormoor sullied with modern Magic design like the dirty tribal whore it is?
>>
>>44134536
It's Kamigawa's rose tinted glasses syndrome.
The majority of players hate lorwyn's theme, plus faeries deck happened.
>>
>>44140032
I want Tribal to come back but people don't know how it works.
>>
>>44140407
...how do people not know how 'this card has Creature Types' works?
>>
>>44140533

You vastly overestimate the average magic player.

Need I remind you that simple mechanics such as shroud and flanking are literally too much for the average magic player to understand these days?
>>
>>44140599
Tell me how Tribal gets fucked up then.
>>
I to was hoping to go back to lorwyn/shadowmoor or Kamigawa or dominaria or even new phyrexia to have it become mirrodin again, but mostly Kamigawa or lorwyn/shadowmoor.
>>
Imagine how a return to Lorwyn might go:
>it is revealed that OG Lorwyn took place thousands of years in the past
>kithkin are all gone. Replaced by humans because reasons.
>Elves no longer have horns or hooves, just generic knife-ears
>goblins are no longer mischievous, just generic pillage-n-raid chaotic evil assholes
>fairies are gone forever and not even mentioned
>Bolas/the phyrexians/the eldrazi are there and 2-5 planeswalkers have to stop them from doing something or else the multiverse will die or something
>boring generic fantasy art
>common and uncommon creatures are all vanilla, to prevent a complex board-state
>>
>>44134563

:(
>>
I would absolutely love a new Kamigawa set. I would spend so much money on it that I would never calculate how much I actually spent because even fellow Magic players would go "Oh shit, how much?!"

It was absolutely my favorite set Flavorwise, and it make me so sad we'll never see it again.
>>
>>44141860
Aside from the obvious circlejerk shit, OG Lorwyn took place around the time of the Mending, because that's when the Great Aurora occurred. Not to mention we know boggarts and elves are unchanged because we literally just saw them in Magic: Origins
>>
File: YUDoDis.jpg (46 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
YUDoDis.jpg
46 KB, 250x250
>>44133235
>nets are overfilled
>still just sitting there

The union makes us strong.
>>
>>44134008
This. Planeswalkers were cool for a bit, but does every single story arc need to shine the spotlight on a handful of boring overpowered characters? When can we get another storyline with the regular sort of heroes?
>>
>>44142590
Wasn't Magic Origins in the past though? It was origin stories for the planeswalkers.
>>
>>44144556
Yeah I assumed that Nissa came to Lorwyn before the great aurora changed it into Shadowmoor.
>>
>>44141860
>Merrow have legs now.
>>
>>44141860

>plane barely even matters, mostly just a backdrop for Jace and his fuckbuddies to fight the inter-dimensional badguy of the week
>plane gets COMPLETELY destroyed by the end of it in a "no we are never coming back, stop asking" way
>offhand comment in a flavortext somewhere saying that the same thing happened to Kamigawa and there is no chance of going there ever again either
>set is deliberately underpowered
>>
I really like how sylvan, ethereal and devoted to beauty and perfection in all their forms yet predatory, whimsical and ineffable Lorwyn elves are.

Probably my favorite elves.
>>
>>44144755
She was there for maybe a few days when the Aurora hit, and planeswalked away as it was changing the plane.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.