[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gentlemen. How do we solve the Fate/Tabletop problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: 1345178330954.jpg (2 MB, 2312x3497) Image search: [Google]
1345178330954.jpg
2 MB, 2312x3497
Gentlemen.

How do we solve the Fate/Tabletop problem?
>>
What's the Fate tabletop problem?
>>
File: AHHHH THE FUCK AM I CASTING.jpg (51 KB, 492x539) Image search: [Google]
AHHHH THE FUCK AM I CASTING.jpg
51 KB, 492x539
Get Nasu to make an official one for big buck$$$
>>
>>44126752

Look, man. Fate/Stay Night is not a good setting to run an RPG campaign in. Why?

Because the format doesn't work. You have seven Masters and seven Servants: Unless all the PCs constitute one 'Master' team and/or one Servant, they already have a hilarious advantage. Unless it's a PvP game, and then you have the problem of everyone being at the table when they kill each other.

More, have you seen the anime? People don't fight like PCs. PCs go after an enemy until he dies. They don't let him go: "Haha, next time I will use my truest power!" Instead, they'd go: "Saber, nuke him. What's that? You'll destroy a whole apartment block? I don't care, do it anyway."

Imagine if Tokimi had gone "Hey, I'm not sure Kariya is dead. I better follow him down into the alley and fry his corpse." Or if someone like Gilgamesh had been taking things seriously - "All right, I'm just going to hit you with Level 99 weapons until you die. I can do this for weeks on end."

Seriously, HOW are you going to run a campaign like that? It's fucking impossible. What makes for an interesting narrative does not a good RPG make. Every fight would end with "I'll finish you next ti - You know what, Berseker? Butcher both of them and bring me their heads. It's cool, I got enough mana."
>>
>>44127083
How is this not copypasta?

This should be saved for every Fate/Tabletop thread
>>
>>44126784
The fact that Type Moon powerlevels are so bloody high and somewhat inconsistent/immeasurable that it's impossible to adapt to any numerical game.
>>
File: Shakespere.jpg (515 KB, 1200x1811) Image search: [Google]
Shakespere.jpg
515 KB, 1200x1811
>>44127131
Fate is literally about what bullshit out bullshits your bullshit. Fun to watch, cool to lore up on, but trying to make it into a workable game is like trying to make Death Note work as a tabletop.
>>
>>44126752

Can you elaborate what the problem actually is?
>>
>>44127083
>>44127162
>>44127131
>>44127103
All of this, The holy grail ritual has a small cast, Every Master is against the other, and PVP PnP games are hell with no chance for Story Building.

And PCs cant be servants either because they would be forced to listen to what their Master tells them to do, which isnt fun either
>>
>>44126752

Do maybe four players... Two servants and two masters, and have them team up. That's as close as you're gonna get to a function tabletop game.

Might make a good maximum seven players board game though, if you all the players have to pull their master, servant and class at random.
>>
File: 1342210132456.jpg (53 KB, 406x504) Image search: [Google]
1342210132456.jpg
53 KB, 406x504
>>44127170
First of, assuming you're doing a typically Fuyuki-style Grail War you're talking about seven teams of 2 in a free-for-all using subterfuge, preparation, and investigation to weed out the others.

This alone makes the game impossible on an actual tabletop without making the game a mess of meta-gaming unless you want to divide up people privately in a separate room for each of their scenes. Either way the other players are dealing with a massive amount of waiting between doing anything.

Even using online sessions this is a logistics nightmare if it's not happening with everybody available simultaneously to be able to react to all the crazy shit going down in the city.
>>
>>44127083
It could easily be run for a group of 2-4 players, with the each player being either a master or servant, and them forming a two master alliance. For 5-6, a three master alliance could be formed, or you can go the imaginative route and have one master have either an extremely rare double/triple servant summons (like Castor and Pollux or Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei) [with the idea that the servant has the ability to summon the other servants], or you could come up with a double master scenario if need be, like one master being a fake used in hopes of confusing the enemy.

As for balance issues, Masters are pretty capable. While servants outclass them in raw power, having modern knowledge and incredible spellcasting ability, along with the command spells and whatever they've inherited from their families, allows Masters to be important for the majority of the game, and still relevant in the battles.

As for how to solve the "PCs go after an enemy until he dies" business, retreat is an option, and teleportation magic is available if costly, and there's other ways for mages to escape.
>>
>>44127254

Frankly - as the guy who posted earlier - the only thing that could work is that the PCs all count as a single Master. Either one player is the Master, and all the others are his retinue - or they all have one Command Sigil each.

Now, whoever's playing the Servant is immensely powerful, but it's hard being the bitch of the other players. Besides, it's never really established HOW much control the Master has, besides the sigils. A Servant player who's not in line with the group can cause a lot of problems. Let alone one that fights the way a PC usually fights!

> I am a genteel Musketeer of the Saber class.
> Now I'm going to gouge my enemy in the eyes and kick him in the balls.
> Wait, I have superhuman speed. Instead of this fucking pointless dueling with Berserker, I'm going to hyperrun past him and stab his Master in the heart.

Shit's not going to work.
>>
>>44127329
>Besides, it's never really established HOW much control the Master has, besides the sigils

Yes it is. They have zero control of the Servants outside of the the command seals. They have implied threats, like the USE of command seals or cutting them off from their mana supply, but beyond that the Servants have no direct bonds forcing them into compliance.
>>
>>44127354

Wow, that's worse than I thought. Now, you COULD solve the problem by having the DM control the servant, but that means you have long stretches of DMPCs talking to each other and fighting with each other. It's not a solid solution.

Seriously, it would mean the DM rolling dice against - and talking to - himself. Possibly for the big climax to a session.
>>
>>44127329

You can make the PC's those skull-faced assassin dudes.

Or alternatively, you ignore a bit of the setting and go team combat, with the PC's being an entire set of summons battling it out with other teams of summons.

>I don't know much about the whole Nasuverse thing, but I know there's this throne of heroes thing, and I'm sure such a magical entity is willing to do something as insane as this because it can.
>>
>>44127371
>>44127329

You seem intent of trying to "prove" it's impossible to play, and all that's really doing is making you think in the "worst case scenario" kind of style, with the worst kind of players and the worst kind of GM, which is basically useless and proves little.

Let me provide you with a potential outline.

4 players, each playing as either a master or servant. They form an alliance, and first have to perform reconnaissance to find the other masters. During this period, they assemble clues, learn about the region and the layout of the leylines, and might encounter one or two enemies who are also probing, but the fights are left inconclusive since no one wants to waste/reveal their trump cards too early.

After the players learn about their enemies, they need to formulate a plan to defeat them, making guesses about the hero's identities and figuring out how to counteract their powers. They then go out and try to take down the five remaining masters, with three acting as arcs and the remaining two forming the final arc.

That sounds like a reasonable campaign.
>>
>>44127477

Frankly, I've always thought that most of Fate is about the character interactions. With a team of PCs, that ain't going to work.

> "Wow, the Edefelt girl seems really conflicted. I wonder if we could..."
> "You're just saying that because you want to fuck her. Don't be pussy: I tell her to fuck off."
>>
>>44126752
Wild Talents. Custom powers, build an archetype called Servant/Master, and play with the Willpower rules so that Servants need Mages to sustain themselves.

Or port it over to FATE, for those who want more narrativist stuff.
>>
>>44127552
Depends on the group. PCs being competitive arseholes who're all out for Number 1 are gonna have less fun than folks who take a high trust approach.

It's hard because a lot of the fans of this franchise tend towards the analytical side, looking at systems as how to leverage them into the best mechanical outcomes rather than character interactions and development.
>>
File: 96394_front.jpg (68 KB, 595x432) Image search: [Google]
96394_front.jpg
68 KB, 595x432
>>44127552
Frank, what is wrong with you.

Who are these people you are playing with? It sounds like you just have a terrible group, but still have high demands.

Yes, if you plan on running a Record of Lodoss War campaign you're going to end up running a Slayers campaign instead, and yes if you plan on running a Fate Stay/Night you're going to wind up running a Fate TIger Colosseum game instead, but that's just the deal and you've got to live with it.
>>
One player is the master, one is the servant, the others are a team accompanying them, like in zero. That's the best way to have them act together.
>>
>>44127083

You could use something like Better Angels or Monsters and Other Childish Things as a base, both of which are bass around each player having two characters, one more powerful than the other.
>>
File: tn42ogaqruY1rye1gyo30.jpg (1 MB, 2885x4107) Image search: [Google]
tn42ogaqruY1rye1gyo30.jpg
1 MB, 2885x4107
>>44126752
I am planning a HGW on Roll20, using a system that another anon shared with me that I think someone from Reddit came up with.
It's more of a competitive boardgame with a bit of roleplay, but it sounds like it's a fun system.

Also, I'm doing a more story-driven campaign for two of my friends with Tenra Bansho.
>>
>>44130198
Source on system?
>>
File: 1441931505035.jpg (127 KB, 530x450) Image search: [Google]
1441931505035.jpg
127 KB, 530x450
>>44130291
The prior one? Fate/World Outbreak.

Here's a pdf:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7yuF4rsGsE6aVZIV2RBT1Q2U1k/view
And a site with stuff if pdf doesn't work for you:
https://sites.google.com/site/nasuverserpg/fate-world
>>
Run it in Maid. Each player is a Servant, the GM is the Master.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.