[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Encouraging proper RP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: D&D_Transparent.png (57 KB, 1500x750) Image search: [Google]
D&D_Transparent.png
57 KB, 1500x750
I've got a group of mates that I've started DMing D&D for. We are all new to the game and one of the issues I'm having is getting people to play in-character. We've had 3 or 4 sessions and previously they just tell me what they want to do or what they want to say to an NPC, but don't actually engage as their character.

We are playing again tomorrow and I've posted in our D&D group saying I really want everyone to play and interact with each other in-character in the session. I've asked them that it they talk at the table, unless it is to clarify a rule or mechanic, they should make an effort to do it as their character communicating with another character/NPC, rather than just as them talking to someone else at the table or talking to me instead of the NPC.

I can understand that nobody wants to be the first to do a weird voice, even though nobody would care if it was shit and said that if everyone does it I'm sure we'll all be more comfortable doing it and get more enjoyment out of the session.

3 out of the 4 players all seem really excited with the idea and the added immersion it will bring, but one has flat-out refused to "do a voice". Any suggestions on how to encourage him to play in-character more?

Do I just encourage the others to talk in-character and lead by example with the NPCs, hoping he starts doing it so he's not the only one playing differently? I honestly think he's just embarrassed because he's a pretty quiet guy. Any suggestions?
>>
>>44124825
"Doing voices" isn't really for everyone.

Don't feel like you've got to force them into it because so long as they get the in-character interactions going and actually roleplay, it really shouldn't matter if their character sounds differently than the person playing it.
>>
>>44124825
>doing a voice
Who does this? Everyone I've ever gamed with uses their normal speaking voice as their character's voice. Except maybe the DMs when trying to differentiate between different NPCs.
>>
>>44124855
Yeah sorry I should've clarified. The voice isn't a priority, I just get the impression form him that he doesn't want to be the character (voice or no), he just wants to be Anon playing that character. I don't care if he uses his voice or makes up some random one, I just want them to do a bit of RP.
>>
Either kick him out of your group or stop being a dick that tries to force people to have fun the way you think they should.
>>
>>44124825
You're going to have to do it first so they don't feel awkward
>>
>>44124825

Roleplaying is, fundamentally, just getting into the mind of your character. Don't ask him to do a voice, just ask him questions specifically about what his character would do.

>"The small child tugs at your pant leg, looking up at you and asking if you know where his mommy is. What does your character do?"
>"The shopkeep who just sold you the potions backhands his assistant, how does that make your character feel?"
Etc.
>>
>>44128519

This. Actions > Words.

I am completely fine with third person dialog in my games ("Krongar tells the shopkeeper about what happened in the cave.") just be consistent and get into the character's mindset.
>>
>>44124869
I do, if the voice I imagine for my character is within my ability to emulate consistently.
>>
>>44129162
This is a good way to look at it. I actually like a bit of distance from the character, rather than trying to "inhabit" them or getting emotionally invested. I think it's more fun to think of them as a character in a story you're writing, rather than a self insert.

And the GM always sets the tempo. Unless you play with theater students, most players will wait for someone else to "play pretend".

I don't "do voices" but there's a few times where I got people a group on the edge of their seats by getting aggressive with dialogue and body language.

Personally, I think restricting speech at the table stifles the friendly social aspect of the game. I just take it as a given that party rules apply--don't interrupt people or act a fool, and don't stand in the corner twiddling on your phone.
>>
>>
>>44124825
If you're all new then you still have a good chance to escape D&D and play something that actually facilitates roleplaying instead.

Seriously, if you get them to play Vampire the Masquerade or, honestly, anything that's not Dungeons and Dragons, you will all roleplay more and more naturally, and have more fun.
>>
>>44130412
At least recommend a good system, will ya?
>>
>>44130451
Storyteller is good, anon. It is both extremely easy to GM and play, and highly intuitive. Plus, for the sake of actually roleplaying I don't think there's a serious argument to be made that Storyteller is bad or worse than D&D.
>>
>>44130509
Oh, right.
The chief complaint about WoD wasn't that the system was bad but that the players were all weird, creepy or some such.
Sorry, got that mixed up.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.