[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it wrong that I want to play mary-sue characters? Human fighters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: happy-horses.jpg (294 KB, 809x551) Image search: [Google]
happy-horses.jpg
294 KB, 809x551
Is it wrong that I want to play mary-sue characters?

Human fighters and half-orc barbarians just don't interest me as a player. They're naturally pigeon holed into something bland whose stereotype has been thoroughly explored and inverted and beaten into an easily recognizable state no matter what you do. I'm not saying that they're bad, but I'm just not into it. Sometimes I stare at the D&D races and classes and sigh. Once the new and shininess of 5e wears off it's not much for customization.

>inb4 not good enough to make bland characters interesting.

But why would I settle for boring when I can make something a little interesting by default even more interesting?
>>
well you can go for unique/weird combinations without playing "mary-sue" characters
>>
You realize that a character is more than a handful of mechanically-defined options, right?
>>
>>44107827
See, heres the thing m80: An abnormal character is not inherently a Mary Sue.

What defines a Mary Sue is more their role in the plot (they happen to be in the perfect position to solve all problems ever), their power level (unbeatable unless it will let the creators love interest comfort/protect them) and the fact that every character usually knows them already.

Make a weird character, fucking go for it. Nothing wrong with weird. If you want to make an actual Mary Sue, go for fanfic writing. Its near impossible in ttrpgs without DM collusion and that pisses people off.
>>
>>44107827
What do you want to play?
>>
>>44107913

an important question as OP neither seems to understand what a Mary Sue is nor what 5E is designed to do

There's plenty of systems if you want to play some really weird mustached supermutant that can crack mountains in half with a beer stein.
>>
>>44107882
>>44107897
>>44108000
You know, you're right. I think I've been spending too much time on /tg/. I'm expecting every non-standard choice to be labeled as furry/tumblr/lol randumb/attention whore fag something something.
>>
You've already got something mary sue players don't have: Self awareness.

You're not intrinsically a mary sue if you make a character you find interesting, even if the character happens to be a hot renegade drowess or whatever, its what you DO with it and how you project yourself on the plot and other characters

Nobody gives a shit if you use your charisma score to bluff and do positive roleplay shit, everyone hates it when you roll to seduce the dragon for shits and giggles or decide to fuck the party out of loot because ur evul.
>>
>>44108025
Some people will do that, sure. My advice is to tell those people to shove their opinion so far up their ass they can taste the wrongness at the back of their throat.

Its about you and the parties enjoyment, not what some fucking grognard thinks dude. Run it by the party and DM if you want to be sure of shit.
>>
I always figured that tabletop rpgs can go a long way in preventing Mary Sues. You know, since you usually have to build a character with a finite amount of points to spend.
>>
>>44107827
i think the term you are looking for is Special Snowflake, not Mary Sue
>>
>>44108432
What's the difference? I've always heard the terms used interchangeably.
>>
File: 135468323456.jpg (81 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
135468323456.jpg
81 KB, 500x375
>>44107827
I agree with you OP.

If I wanted my character to be a fucking nobody, I'd just get out of my house and go around in real life.

Here's my advice: don't play with fucksticks who are all about >muh realism.
That is rarely fun. At least for me.
Find a group that likes what you like and play with them the game that you'd like to have.

It's as easy as that.
>>
>>44107827
I think considering race/class the basis for an interesting character concept is shooting yourself in the foot, creatively speaking, but that's just my shit opinion. If playing a character far removed from the usual options is that important to you, then talk to your GM-ideally, he'll work with you to bring your concept to life without breaking the setting OR the system, or at least let you fluff things the way you want. So what if your !notEgyptian hawkman sunpriest is mechanically identical to an elf paladin? Do some roleplaying, change the description for some of your abilities or spells, and the character's entirely your own.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.