[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>He doesn't show up to sessions in costume Seriously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 11
File: kitchen wizard.jpg (212 KB, 534x900) Image search: [Google]
kitchen wizard.jpg
212 KB, 534x900
>He doesn't show up to sessions in costume
Seriously though, does anybody do this? Same for DM cloaks. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun but I've never met anybody IRL who does it. Is it just a myth?
>>
People will think you're a weirdo and even if you manage to play it off and explain things perfectly the joke will still fall flat in short order and you'll spend two hours awkwardly sitting there wishing you'd just worn jeans.

If you know the group beforehand and convince them all to wear costumes to the session it's a different matter.
>>
File: cloak_girl.jpg (19 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
cloak_girl.jpg
19 KB, 236x354
>>44098689
I had a girlfriend who played dnd and wore a cloak instead of a coat. It wasn't even a dnd or larp thing, that's just what she did. She was known around campus as "cloak girl".

Cloak looked a bit like pic related, only cleaner. Just mentally remove all the other stuff and replace it with a black t-shirt, jeans, and some books.
>>
>>44099471
Cloaks are fucking comfy. If I could wear one without being the local weirdo, I would.
>>
I used to have a GM hat. I just wanted an excuse to use it really.
>>
>>44098689
There was a story in /tg/ about a group who never saw each others' faces, as they all wore cultist clothes/masks. It was a coc game I think.
>>
>>44098689

It comes down to this

You can do whatever you want and be eccentric as long as you don't act like a creep, a faggot, or a dickhead

As a gamer if it makes someone happy and they are cool

Then let them have fun
>>
>>44098689
>kitchen wizard
>not a woman
I'm sorry for making this joke. It was bad and I feel bad. In my defense, I had a wisdom tooth removed yesterday and it hurts just a bit because fuck painkillers. Pain maek stronk.
>>
>>44099870
I can dig it
>>
When I run Robotech I wear a UNSC Spacy hat
>>
>>44099471
gonna be honest, that's cute
>>
>>44098689
When I lived on campus I wore my bathrobe when I wasn't leaving home.

>this is my home. I wear what I want, and bathrobes are comfortable and breezy
>>
>>44098689
Dressing up is only acceptable when you're playing Maid RPG.
>>
>>44100128

>he runs Robotech

Based fucking anon

What Era are we talking

Macross

Masters

New gen

Also you are my hero captain gloval
>>
Call it weeaboo but I have a lucky samurai helmet I game in.
>>
>>44099471
Are you from Seattle?
>>44098689
I have a DM cloak. It's got a hastily pinned pelt on the shoulders. I wear it when I run Viking games.
>>
>>44098689
I knew a guy who wore a Micky Mouse Wizard Hat whenever he DM'd.
>>
File: Real Dorf.jpg (184 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Real Dorf.jpg
184 KB, 1024x768
>>44098689
>implying fa/tg/uys have to disguise themselves to look like fantasy creatures
>>
>>44098689
>im-fucking-plying I don't
I go to a remarkably shitty excuse for a larp, and I'll wear garb from there if it matches my character. Side note: it's really easy to roleplay a pissed off barbarian when your friend's ill-fitting chainmail keeps choking you. I just wish I had money to spend on getting garb for a bigger range of things.
>>
File: [x] rape the maids.png (2 MB, 1000x1618) Image search: [Google]
[x] rape the maids.png
2 MB, 1000x1618
>>44098689
We play an online game, but everyone dresses up in character for it anyway.
It's a MAID ERP with webcams.
>>
>>44104180
You from Austria? Because I did that for a good 10 years.
>>
>>44099870
That must have been a rad game
>>
I wore a kimono whenever I DMed L5R.
It was really comfy and the pockets were great for holding dice.
It was the only reason I was able to wear it.
>>
>>44105071
Sounds cool as fuck
>>
>>44105071
I think you know that people are going to ask for details.
Not the nitty-gritty, mind you, but just the highlights.
>>
>>44098689
I'm beginning to work on a Black Templar cosplay, but can you imagine trying to dress up in that to play Deathwatch?
>>
>>44099549
I walk around in a kilt man
>>
>>44105513
No highlights, only thighhighs.

half the group are traps. They look marginally better than the girls.
>>
>>44104976
Wait, there's daylight coming through those windows.

How has that troll not turned to stone? This is some bullshit abuse of lore in this thread, tellyahwat.
>>
File: IMG_0569.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0569.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>44098689
to be honest, in most of the games where I go, everybody is in a custome
>>
>>44098689
I wear a cloak, and every day before I wear it I preform a complicated ritual.
First, I smear myself with honey, and let flies crawl over me for exactly five minutes.
Then, while playing the song "sex machine", I simultaneously dance and drain th e blood from a steak over my shoulders and back. I rub it all over my body.
The third and final step is dropping a dice in my throat then coughing it out.
After this, I put the robe on over my bare skin and feel it stick.

My players asked about the smell the first few sessions, but they eventually got used to it. If only they knew.
>>
>>44105645
Do it. It will be absolutely awesome.
>>
Wearing a costume is kind of a hassle if you're not larping. I don't expect it from anyone even if I do it on occasions.
DM robes, while not mandatory are awesome. If you pley in person you should consider them. It gives the DM aspects of authority. It's a symbol of power.
In my group the robes are common property. When a DM becomes a player, he passes them to the next DM.
>>
>>44105099
are you a gril
>>
>>44098689
Only did once.

Played a drug-addicted gambler for a one-shot and came to the session with a pack of those candy sticks that look like cigarettes and wearing a fedora.

No katana sicne my character was an explosives expert and threw bombs at every problem.
>>
>>44103391
The Jiangshi of the Fortunate Solider?
>>
>>44105877
Take vids and report back
>>
File: 1449254441381.jpg (407 KB, 1883x846) Image search: [Google]
1449254441381.jpg
407 KB, 1883x846
>>44102687
>if a guy does it
>"what a fucking weirdo"
>if a girl does it
>"cute!"

Then again, you can apply this to anything.
>>
>>44110469
well, it's like, do you want to see big hairy men in swimsuit or cute girls in swimsuits?
>>
>>44110547
Cute men in swimsuits, of course.
>>
>>44105877
I find it hard to believe
Because i dont believe un perfection
>>
>>44103210
Macross but I have the books for the later eras.
>>
>that pic
I heard it was good, but I'm scare to invest in it.
>>
>>44110547
big hairy girls in swimsuits
>>
>>44105738
You have to be like 2 meters tall, have an epic beard and lots of meat under the skin to justify wearing kilt in public, dawg
>based fests
>>
>>44110547
cute little girls in hairy mensuits
>>
My DnD group in high school also played Amtgard, so we would have bits of garb and props from time to time, on special occasions. Like if there were a session falling on a date around Halloween. Or if we were just bored.
>>
>>44098689
I used to, but these days I just take off my wizard hat and robe
>>
File: 1427322696132.jpg (531 KB, 1000x1374) Image search: [Google]
1427322696132.jpg
531 KB, 1000x1374
My players have a hard time getting in character, and I think a little bit of dressing-up would really help. I haven't asked them about it because I don't want to look like a weirdo. Maybe I'll bring it up at the next session, then try to pass it off as a joke if they laugh at me.

>>44099471
Cloaks are great. A coat and a blanket in one comfy package.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN8cYd3poIk
>>
I would totally wear a GM's cloak, except whenever I actually run games I get really, really, really warm all over, and I usually sweat. It doesn't matter how cold the actual room is. I think it's an anxiety thing. It's really annoying.
>>
>>44113092
Might as well bring it up now, it'll stop you from waiting till next Halloween. Or just buy them a cheap costume hat that fits their class for Christmas.
>>
>>44113590
Maybe there's somebody out there who makes cloaks that wick sweat
>>
>>44113590
Sounds like anxiety to me.
>>
>>44113590
Deodorant and one of those running t-shirts. At least you won't worry about sweat patches
>>
I sometimes wear poncho, mainly for cozyness.
>>
>>44115278
Oh, believe me, I pile on that deodorant. I don't think any of my players have noticed yet, or at least I hope not. And it's weird, but I guess it just isn't bad enough to form patches yet. I avoid light colored shirts on GMing days anyway, just in case.
>>
Sometimes my current ADnD dm will wear his wiccan ritual robe to game. Once when I played a samurai character I wore a halloween plastic kabuto to game. Everybody got a kick out of it, but secretly I enjoyed it the most.

Overall a pretty cool group.
>>
>I played a Brawler in Pathfinder, so I took some gauze and cardboard to make facsimiles of his caesti

That was fun. Maybe I'll make a Holy Symbol of Asmodeus for the next game.
>>
I've been meaning to get a full wizard attire.

And I'd probably also wear it while I GM, yeah.
>>
File: Big_hat_logan_firelink.jpg (123 KB, 396x347) Image search: [Google]
Big_hat_logan_firelink.jpg
123 KB, 396x347
>>44118576
I'd settle for just a big-ass wizard hat. Haven't gotten around to making one yet, mainly because I have no idea where to start and I don't know how to sew.
>>
>>44112107
God I hope it's not one of those fucking utili-kilt things. They're like fedoras for your legs.
>>
I'd rather wear a hat, a good pointy one with "WIZARD" on it
anybody can wear a robe but only a wizard can wear the hat
>>
I once used a rolled up piece of paper as a prop for a character who chainsmoked once. Was actually pretty helpful, roleplayingwise. Helped remind all the players that my character was constantly smoking and looking incredibly sullen all the time and it was pretty fun adding it to the gestures I made without actually having to smoke up the table.
>>
>>44118711
bruh
http://cosplaytutorial.com/list.php#HatsWitchWizard

literally no idea why you don't even check the cosplay board for help if you're thinking about cosplaying.
>>
>>44123624
sounds like some middle-school tier fag shit t︂b︂︂h
>>
I think these guys did a good job as dressing up as thier own characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt_NXdWaDcA

Pretty Margaret is best Orcish bard
>>
>>44099471
That would look quite cool/cute
>>
>>44098689
I've been tempted, it's a lot of effort though and it is fairly weird if you just do it without telling anyone.
>>
Why is modern fashion so drab /tg/?
>>
>>44113590
Deodorent before sleeping the night before.
>>
>>44126498
>Zettai Ryouiki everywhere
What is this weaboo shit?
>>
>>44113704
Maybe I will. I already bought a leather-bound notebook for the Wizard, because he had a hard time remembering the rules and his full spell list. I'd hoped that he would use it as a spell book or to make quest notes, but he didn't.
>>
>>44098689
Once had the group get a bit blasted and we used the beer boxes and bed sheets to make our respective armor. I just made a roman armored skirt style thing for my barb.
Other than that i've come across several DM's with hats. Most were wizard hats but i've had one with the dresden style hat and one with a barbarian helmet horns and all.
>>
>>44123624
>>44124754
I mean good on you for getting in character like that but I would have been way too concerned about looking stupid
>>
>>44126560
I already apply it every morning
>>
>>44098689
I have a GM hat that I wear in my skype games but it's just a comfy fluffy hat. I occasionally use a shot of hard alcohol to help loosen up my GMing when the PCs start to think outside of the box, does that count as a costume?
>>
>>44129659
Thats performance enhancement and is entirely against the rules. Hand your hat in to the Dungeon and/or Game Masters league local chapter house immediately.
>>
>>44130000
>drinking
>against the rules
You're not a real representative of the GM league, imposter!
>>
>>44132591
Hey, man, cmon man. I just like use it for showers and food till i find a job. Don't ruin this for me...
>>
>>44132764
But the GM league doesn't supply snacks. That's the players' job...
>>
>>44133187
We ALL pitch in, tim.... We've been over this. No money, no pizza.
>>
My players found out that I have a wizard robe and now they insist that I wear it when I gm.
>>
>>44133231
The GM is already hosting, though. They provide plates and napkins and sometimes drinks and things like that
>>
>>44135351
And we all spend gas money to get to the gm's whats your point?
>>
>>44098689
I DM online, on camera. I'm always in a hooded robe in a dark room lit by a candlestump on a skull next to my notebook, like some kid telling spoopy stories with a flashlight pointing up at his face. It's cheesy as fuck but people love it.
>>
>>44135480
The GM doesn't get to play.
>>
>>44135750
The gets to play god. He also apparently gets to starve.
>>
>>44135480
I don't know about you, but when I was younger and playing D&D I didn't drive, I rode a bike and everybody chipped in for pizza but the DM because he was the guy who bought all the books, and plus he usually had chips and salsa
>>
>>44135895
The dm has PDF's like the rest of us and we all drive cars cause we all have jobs to pay for our meetup food. The dm has no excuse not to chip in.
>>
>>44136086
Also if he had chips and salsa thats him paying for food. Unless his parents bought which is a cop out and if we buy pizza and he doesn't put forth money he doesn't get a slice.
>>
>>44135533
That sounds fucking cool anon
I'd love a dm who does something like that
>>
>>44106236
>drain th e blood from a steak

There's no blood in steaks, you idiot; the cow is drained when it's butchered. That's myoglobin.
>>
>>44098689
Fuck yes we have a DM cloak.

How could you possibly take them seriously if they weren't wearing a cloak?
>>
>>44136397
THANK YOU! as a god damned chef that shit annoys me more than anything. Especially when they won't touch a perfect (medium-rare no this isn't up for debate) steak or prime rib roast because its "bleeding".
>>
>>44104976
I swear I can see the smell in that room
>>
>>44104976
I don't get where everybody's saying he looks smelly. I mean, he's certainly very fat, but he doesn't look very sweaty or anything
>>
>>44098689
Closest to showing up in costume for a character I've come was playing a hitman in a World of Darkness game, where I showed up dressed to the nines. Put on my good suit, had my beard trimmed close and my hair tied back in a ponytail as opposed to wearing it loose. It was the neatest any of my game group had ever seen me dressed.
>>
>>44098689
When I ran games at my local store I wore a cheap Halloween-store top hat so that it was easier to find me at the tables.

>Player: I'm here for the X one-shot.
>Staff: You want the guy in the top hat.
>>
>>44098689
I would wear my cloak if I actualy had a IRL group to DM for. Or a commisar hat, depending on the game.
>>
I've toyed with the idea, since I play with a bunch of casual cosplayers, but costumes are expensive. It wouldn't be worthwhile to us unless we could publicize it and make it entertaining for people.
>>
>>44136122

DM gets a slice because he is hosting
>>
>>44137324
Dm gets a slice when he pays or else dm gets a fork in the hand and a scar to remember the lesson by. Stealings first grade crap.
>>
>>44137466

Unless you are bringing a 99 cent bag of chips you are expected to share with everyone. And seeing how you are at the DM's house he gets a slice.
>>
>>44106566
Watch him lose more and more dice in his power armour as the sessions go by.
>>
If you're GMing Lo5R, you should wear a brightly colored kimono and overcoat, carry two swords, grow out your beard and hair, perch on a small stool, gesture with a fan, grunt frequently and refuse to speak unless absolutely necessary. Your significant other should pour you drinks at regular intervals.
>>
>>44137466
>Dm gets a slice when he pays or else dm gets a fork in the hand
Jesus. OK, I think this has gone on enough. Each group ought to establish these kind of things first thing at their first meeting if not beforehand, along with other basic agreements on play like what to do with dice that go off the table and coasters and things like that. This started as a facetious discussion that assumed there was such a thing as a league of GMs, let's just cool off now

no stabbing anybody OOC
>>
>>44137746
Is spanking allowed then mr.i'll-never-say-no-to-my-kids-cause-negativity-is-BAD? Or do i allow stealing as a morally acceptable thing they'll carry over to other groups?
>>
>>44138243
This is some extreme autism
>>
>>44118450
I remember when I first started playing when I was in high school, our DM had a bunch of old replica swords and stuff that we would intermittently break from play to mess around with. Whenever I played a thief, I would bring the dagger to the table with me and mess around with it. For some reason getting to touch something that your character would have at the same time is just so satisfying.
>>
File: barbarian_bearwarrior.jpg (231 KB, 633x900) Image search: [Google]
barbarian_bearwarrior.jpg
231 KB, 633x900
>>44112046

Close enough.
>>
>>44126498
The rising male bourgeoisie extolled practical clothing along with practical virtues in defiance of noble excess, and then a hundred odd years later women's impractical clothing converged with male styles as womens' social and political rights got going
>>
>>44099870
link?
>>
>>44110469
Its the "women are wonderfull" effect.
>>
>>44099471
Did it look ok on her? If you can pull off something like this, go for it, set a new trend. But step one probably plays a big factor into this.
>>
>>44143786
>>44099471
Please do this. I want to wear a cloak too.
>>
I wear a fez and DM. It's what I do.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.