[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need purchasing decision help. I can get P3 boxes of army colors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: choice.png (594 KB, 848x324) Image search: [Google]
choice.png
594 KB, 848x324
Need purchasing decision help.

I can get P3 boxes of army colors for a hair under 10$, or I can get an Army Painter Starter set. Not for the same price, but just my two optimal choices.

Learning to paint with generic kings of war miniatures on the cheap, and my bones kickstarters are sitting around waiting for me to GITGUD

Can you guys help me pick an optimal range of colors with minimal redundancy (or at least no duplicates), using three or four army colors boxes of p3? Or should I just get the Army Painter set?
>>
>>44093783
Army painter starter
>>
>>44093812
The 10$ boxes of P3 is super fucking cheap per pot though. Almost twice as much for the money than the Army Painter starter. Already have brushes.
>>
>>44093916
I use p3 and i like them. not good for drybrushing but yes for wet blending. have good coverage
>>
>>44093783
Fuck the price, which colors do you need and are going to get the most use out of? Price is meaningless if you end up not using all of the paints, and/or end up buying more of what you need later anyways.
>>
>>44094521
I think OP is looking for a general use art of hues to cover all of his bases.
If that's the case, the P3 boxes might not work out terribly well. The paints in each box are built around a certain faction paint scheme, and can sometimes be very narrow in utility.
>>
Are those bottles in the starter set dropper / squeeze style instead of pots? That's a plus - pots suck. Also wider range of basic colors.
>>
>>44096501
They are indeed droppers

OP if you want general a set to paint multiple things different colors the starter might be for you. If you're looking to just paint certain schemes then go with the p3's
>>
>>44096915
Also it's not everyone's thing but I found Americana Brand Acrylic paint to be very good and cheap, it's a craft store paint but it thinned very well had good coverage and looked all around very good.

Just don't buy their metallics those don't look too hot, it's best to pay a little extra and get a proper miniature brand for metalics like Vellajo
>>
File: PaintBoxes_IK_0_0.png (255 KB, 350x470) Image search: [Google]
PaintBoxes_IK_0_0.png
255 KB, 350x470
>>44096237
My bad OP, I didn't see the line where you were getting 3-4 P3 boxes for the price of one Army Painter set. Go for P3, that's way more paint.
You're not going to be able to cover the full spectrum, but that's fine. You're almost never going to need all of the hues. Think about the stuff you are painting: mostly medieval soldier-looking people and/or monsters. The likelihood of laying down a coat of bright teal is pretty low.

If you can only get four P3 boxes, I'd recommend:

- Iron Kingdoms Set - nice set of basics: pure black and white, metallic steel and gold, a flesh tone, and leather.

- Cygnar Set - It's got all your blues, a yellow, Rucksack Ten is nice, and Ironhull Gray is a good "neutral" gray.

- Khador Set - It's got red in it, obviously. The P3 studio method for the Khadoran faction red is a pretty intensive two-brush wet-blending gimmick, which is pretty next-level, but you don't have to bother with that. Khardic Flesh is a darker flesh tone. Thornwood Green works as a military olive drab color, or you can mix it in with flesh tones to shade them with, once you get more comfortable. Then you got a darker brown and Greatcoat Gray, which is a good base for "cooler" grays.

- Circle Oroboros set - greens and more browns. Unfortunately you also end up with a dupe of Ironhull Gray, sorry about that.

Adding a few inks will make your life a lot easier. At the least, grab black (armor wash), brown, and maybe a chestnut (flesh wash).
Other P3s to consider getting as singles: Menoth White Base or Jack Bone for an off-white, Bastion Gray for a "warm" Gray base, and probably another metallic, maybe Brass Balls.

Happy trails on your new foray into the nerdy world of painting tiny men, OP.
>>
>>44097074
Thanks for helping me think it over.

I might be able to get single p3 pots significantly discounted as well, in which case I'd go for that, but I need to jump on this before christmas and the packs are still a better deal.

>Spare grey
I know someone who could use a pot of grey.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.