[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I want to a campaign. >One of the first manned deep space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: aliencavescape.jpg (949 KB, 1100x1100) Image search: [Google]
aliencavescape.jpg
949 KB, 1100x1100
So I want to a campaign.
>One of the first manned deep space missions launched by humanity
>Players are, of course, the astronauts(? considering calling them something else) aboard this ship.
>They will land on an alien planet where strange radio signals emit
>To the untrained ear, these radio signals are nothing, just random noises produced by radiation
>But they form a very clear pattern, a repeating message maybe
>They will explore the planet to... complete their unclear objective
>Think like Super Metroid, but their motive is basically just to explore and document the planet

What system should I use? They will see combat, where they'll use the weapons they brought with them, semi-futuristic combat rifles(think Haloesque.)
Also if anyone wants to play I could run it Friday nights on Roll20/Skype.
>>
File: astronaut.jpg (259 KB, 1050x1600) Image search: [Google]
astronaut.jpg
259 KB, 1050x1600
Bumping with basic idea for their uniforms. Would appreciate any more art of space suits like this
>>
File: evasuit.jpg (118 KB, 1117x715) Image search: [Google]
evasuit.jpg
118 KB, 1117x715
>>
>>44076445
Is it unclear because you don't know what it is yet and you're making it up as you go (The X-Files technique), or have you actually worked out anything to back up the mystery?

By the way, if you want something to back up
>To the untrained ear, these radio signals are nothing, just random noises produced by radiation
check out
>http://linas.org/theory/seti.html
which talks about exactly that - why "apparently random noises" could actually be an optimal format for extraterrestrial communication. (tl;dr - pseudorandom noise encoding lets you communicate with a much lower signal-to-noise ratio, which in turn allows you to reach much greater ranges with the same amount of broadcast power.)
>>
>>44076684
I have worked out the mystery but because this thread is also recruiting players I'm not going to talk about it.
I don't trust players not to read these spoilers. I myself hover over them pretty much no matter what.
>>
bump
>>
jesus christ /tg/
fucking stupid ass pointless threads can get so much attention they stay up for almost a week
and this shit is gonna prune
why
>>
>>44077005
> I may or may not run a space game where you shoot aliens
> it may have these vague ideas in it
> fuck tg why is nobody paying attention

You gotta sell it, OP. You've already got my interest but you gotta close the deal and make me want to play this.
>>
There was a similar thread about this. Should be in the archive, about a group investigating lost ruins on Mars.
>>
>>44076445
I would be interested I live in uk so any time preferably in the evening would be ok. Are you using a skype group so that everyone can join that and in a group call?
>>
Should just in space flu to fuck with the crew if they de hazmat while on the planet surface.

There have a bump
>>
>>44076445
Depends on the level of crunch and freeforminess you're looking for and what you're familiar with. Off the top of my head, GURPS, Traveller, and Fate all come to mind - which should give you an idea of how poorly you've specified the problem!
>>
>>44078452
Not too crunchy. Definitely not GURPS, I despise that shit. Freeforminess is good but it leads to easy combat and I don't want that. They're going to have to deal with finite ammo and areas of deadly radiation that will kill them if they are exposed to it for too long
>>
>>44077356
Yeah. Add me. Daviosy
>>
>>44076445

OP is me and he's stealing my ideas I had this morning for campaigns
>>
>>44077240
Okay lemme try this
>Team of various military scientists explore Super Metroid, with some shady shit going on underneath it all.
>>
bump again
>>
Savage Worlds could work.
>>
>>44082914
How's the gunplay? Never tried a Worlds game
>>
File: Our Last Best Hope.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Our Last Best Hope.pdf
1 B, 486x500
You should read this game, OP.
>>
>>44083039
Never used the gun play yet, couldn't tell you. I know the guns have a base damage die whereas melee is weapon damage die+ strength.
>>
>>44083086
Maybe a modifier could be added for ammo types. E.G. hollow point confers +dam to flesh creatures
>>
>>44083122
No, wounds are pretty brutal. 4 wounds and you're incapacitated. You want to roll over an opponents toughness. Every 4 over the toughness they get a wound. Otherwise they are just shakened. If an enemy is already shakened and gets hit again it becomes a wound.
>>
>>44083483
So if their toughness is say 8 you have to roll 12 to wound them, or else they're just shakened?
>>
>>44083551
Yes, 16 is 2 wounds, etc. Also your attributes aren't additions to your rolls or how many dice you roll but the KIND of dice you roll. Everyone starts with a d4 then d6, d8, d10, d12. Say you have a d8 in shooting and when you roll you get an 8. Since you got thr highest you can with that die you roll again.
>>
>>44084418
Someone would have to talk me through this.
>>
>>44084418
Also only important protagonists get 3 wounds. Mooks only get one. Wounds also cause an accumulative -1 to all rolls. Healing only works an hour after the wounds are taken AND each character only gets one medicine roll for that specific wound. If they fail that's all that person can do so no constantly rolling to eventually get someone to full health.
>>
>>44076445
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12130366/
Something like link related?
>>
>>44076445
>astronauts(? considering calling them something else)
What else would they be called? The only other thing they could be called would be cosmonaut, and whether you're called one or the other really only depends on whether you're from a first world nation or a second world nation
>inb4 second world isn't a thing anymore
>>
>>44087691
I was thinking astro-explorator or something. From 'star sailor' to 'star explorer' or 'star adventurer'. Since travel within the solar system is relatively common in this time
>>
I'm personally a fan of Numenera/cypher. It's pretty crunch light although that can be a bad thing sometimes. I played a campaign with a similar idea and it worked just fine for that.
>>
Modified CoC maybe.
If ya want some horror unknown element in it, that system could work...with PC going paranoid and insane.
Dunno about the combat tho
>>
>>44083063
>Since Our Last Best Hope is a GM-less game
Haha no.
>>
this may be relevant to your interests, OP

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12130366/
>>
File: 1387097040360.jpg (240 KB, 773x800) Image search: [Google]
1387097040360.jpg
240 KB, 773x800
>>
File: 1370453787557.jpg (151 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1370453787557.jpg
151 KB, 1024x768
>>44077005
Consider advertising your thread in clickbait threads, maybe? Preferentially ones tangentially related to sci-fi maybe...
>>
I had a similar idea for a campaign recently, one thought I had on the matter was using a post-apocalypse rpg, since they usually have pretty good emphasis on survival against the environment which seems like is something you're wanting to focus on(?)
>>
>>44094989
I wasn't planning on having them ration food, water and ammo, simply because I couldn't keep track of it.
>>
>>44091624
>being dismissive

Your loss, friend
>>
File: 1307569602735.jpg (3 MB, 4400x3400) Image search: [Google]
1307569602735.jpg
3 MB, 4400x3400
>>
>>44097812
What am I supposed to do as GM in a GM-less game?
>>
File: R3LZZkK.gif (5 MB, 594x336) Image search: [Google]
R3LZZkK.gif
5 MB, 594x336
Said astronauts would probably be military scientists, or scientists with military pilots or minders to keep things safe and running smoothly. Said military folk would likely be Air Force if US or NASA affiliated.

>>44076574
The US flag is backwards
>>
>>44102483
Yeah, military scientists I was thinking too. Maybe one superstar physjcist or something(expy Black Science Man or Bill Nye the Quikscope Guy) recruited for publicity and trained for several months.
>>
>>44102483
>>44104062
No minders, though.
Turns out the mission is a publicity stunt for funding, no legitimate scientific progress is meant to occur. A drone would scour the surface for a few days, safely piloted by the astro-explorators above, before they return home. Their ending up on the planet at all is a mistake.Or is it? Bum bum buh.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.