[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BOARD GAME GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: best_of_all_time.jpg (835 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
best_of_all_time.jpg
835 KB, 1000x1000
Eternal thread edition.

http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

What game needs a new edition/reprint the most?
>>
>>44066933
If I wasn't so satisfied with Rex, I might say Dune.

Twilight Imperium could use a new edition, there's an incredible core there, but these days we're using more and more houserules to fix all its little problems. FFG has gotten a lot better at designing and testing since 2005.

Starcraft would be a popular choice.
>>
>>44067085
I agree with TI3, it could definitely use a new edition since there is no real replacement game for it. Starcraft would be nice but since Forbidden Stars is a thing I doubt it will happen.
>>
Of these games, from your point of view, which would be more worth it to buy?

>Panamax
>Roll for the Galaxy
>Kingsburg
>Trajan
>>
>>44067366
Rftg looks the most fun out of those, but none of them are really my thing, too noninteractive between players. Havent played kingsburg though.
>>
>>44067366
I'm not familiar with all those games, but I guess to properly answer you would have to tell us what you are looking for in these games?
>>
>>44067642
Lately I've been having a hard euro itch. Panamax and Trajan fit the bill perfectly, but having played Roll for the Galaxy and Kingsburg and liking them a lot, it's making the decision more and more difficult and I can only buy one of them, I've already spent more games this month than I should've. It probably wont answer your question, but at least it's some insight to the situation.
>>
>>44066933

Nightfall/Thunderstone

Because...well they're dead and more people should get a taste. Fuck AEG and shit tier smash up.
>>
>>44066933

Nightfall, Thunderstone, and Heroscape could use reprints while the old Titan and TI could use a new edition.

>>44067366
If you want a heavy euro, Trajan would be my choice, but I personally enjoy Roll the most of the 4.
>>
>>44067749
Personally I'd go with what you have played and know you like for now, and take a risk on new stuff when you have some more dosh.
>>
>>44068161
>>44069046
I just went ahead and bought Trajan. It looks interesting to garner my attention.
>>
>>44066933
>What game needs a new edition/reprint the most?
There is only one correct answer.
>>
>>44066933
Betrayal naturally, if only so I can buy a copy different from the one a friend's friend owns.
>>
>>44066933
Saw the fucking op image and laughed. Great one.

Okay so for reprints I'd have said runebound until based FFG made the announcement. For base games, maybe twilight struggle, but that might be coming soon. I WILL eventually want Thunderstone so let's reprint that. Expansions, probably Tide of Iron Days of the Fox. 1A was kicked to the curb by FFG before they could finish the next wave reprint. It was apparently due to some lateness in drafting processes during their work on Stalingrad and Next Wave core, as well as China shipping debacles that made the game late as well as an L.A. port labor dispute causing more lateness. (For the anon who asked last thread) personally I love NW (despite multiple editorial mistakes, SturmGeschutz III tank specs being fucky, and American imbalance) and Stalingrad was universally hailed as best in series.

So I got Star Realms and Epic. Holy shit these games rock. SR is like "what if dominion wasn't boring and had strategy evolution? " played several games with my Gf who was an MtG PTQ candidate that won more than 80% of drafts locally. Beat her every time by a huge margin due to the "evolving draft" of the game. I especially love ally chaining Trade Federation while buying Blobs for kill-ramp as it dominated twice.

Epic was like what if MtG had only mid fatties and huge things and there were only 2 levels of cost, and hey let's get rid of shitty things like counter for good measure. Hell yes. Epic takes every complaint I have about magic (except lifelink) and fixes it.
>>
>>44067085
>If I wasn't so satisfied with Rex, I might say Dune.
The mechanics make a hell of a lot more sense in Dune's universe.
>>
>>44070848
More? Sure.
Hell of a lot more? Nah, unless you've got a specific example that bothers you.
Don't get me wrong, I'd still buy a new edition of dune, but that doesn't stop me from being content to play Rex and refer to everything by their dune names.
>>
>>44066933
Hm, a few games come to mind:

>Starcraft and its expansion
It's a good, fun game, and I reckon more than a few people love the theme. Haven't played with the expansion, but it might as well get a reprint as well. Anyway, not gonna happen thanks to licensing =(

>Red Poppies
Haven't played this but still found it kind of interesting. Hex-and-counter WWI-themed wargame, simulated regimental-sized engagements, 8 scenarios included iirc. What really got me apart from theme is that supposedly it can play as quickly as like 60-90 minutes.

>Mare Nostrum
It IS getting a reprint, as well as the expansion! Thanks to STEEV for making me aware of it.
>>
>>44072352
Well, turns out Red Poppies is getting a reprint too, I need to look into interesting games more often
>>
>>44066933

Objectively? I don't now. The games lost to licensing (starcraft, dune) would be my guesses.

Thunderstone is the one that I'd like a reprint for, me personally. Maybe we'll get a new edition because the franchise was already buried and resurrected once.
>>
>>44066933

I wouldn't say it needs one, but I would appreciate a reprint of "We Must Tell The Emperor".
>>
File: 3njccgjfm854enbvxaoyk2nkh.jpg (162 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
3njccgjfm854enbvxaoyk2nkh.jpg
162 KB, 1024x768
Picture of a game because game.

Star realms has been a blast so far. This kills the dominion. $10 for an amazing and lightning fast drafting (deck building) game with several formats.

New expansion coming in Feb which is standalone like the main game. I gotta get this.
>>
Is there any point buying into a LCG without a community for it in your area? I picked up a 40k conquest set and expansions on the cheap, and I'd like to make it a standalone thing and not worry about other people not owning it.
>>
>>44075260

Shame it's for 2 players, I've got my 1v1 games queue full already.
>>
>>44075309
Wasn't any Netrunner community in my area when I got into it. Still isn't a ton of one, but we get at least a dozen people whenever our FLGS runs a tournament.
But for the first year or so it was mostly just me sharing my copy with whoever, usually getting a game in with the first guy to show up on game nights while waiting for everyone else to show up.
>>
>>44075330
I wish they'd sell a booster expansion with the starter cards. That's really all you'd need to expand it to more players.
>>
>>44075333

Oh I'm not looking to start anything like that, already in too many metas to handle another. I just want to play 40k the card game once in a blue moon when I've got 40k friends who want to transition into more than 40k. Conquest seems like a decent stepping stone.
>>
Our group played Abyss, Resistance, and Cash & Guns last week.

I REALLY liked Abyss, though opinions seemed split. There was a fair amount of stuff to manage and it wasn't often immediately obvious what players should be focusing on. I'd like to play it again though.

Resistance was great. Any of those "he's a spy!" "No I'm not a spy!" "That's just what a spy would say!" games are fun. I'd love to play again with the character trait cards.

Cash and Guns was... I hated it. Everyone else had a fun time though. I wish there was a round where you get loot first so you can establish who you are enemies with rather than, basically, at random. Also some character powers are way broken. Like stealing bullets or taking zero damage if you're shot more than once. It makes it so no one ever bothers to shoot at you. But other powers are incredibly weak. If you get a weak power you're fucked.
>>
Which is better mechanically: Star Wars: Armada or X-Wing? I'm looking for strategic depth here. If there is another pre-painted spaceship figure game vetter than either I would love to know.
>>
>>44075505
I've only played a tiny bit of armada, but I have a hard time picking between them.
Armada feels like more of a numbers game, while x-wing is a little more mindgamey. Dependent on your build though, idiot sledgehammer squadrons like 4x B-wing flip that on it's head.
>>
File: 50rv86nhiopf79z6sfbfvc4xc.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
50rv86nhiopf79z6sfbfvc4xc.jpg
130 KB, 1024x768
>>44075330
Wait did you not know star realms plays 4 with 2 boxes? It has tons of multi-player formats.

Also another THING. This one is epic. Very blitzy Magic the Gathering that is staggeringly balanced (oxymoron metaphor) and if you're going to lose, it's probably soon so you can just shuffle up and play again. SO many formats. There's quick play sealed, sealed constructed, draft, open draft, cube(!!!), preconstructed, huge multi-player support and more formats apparently on their way on the site. Every time I play it's fun, even when I get beasted.

Only issues so far are not drawing enough 0s to win and lifelink. The first problem is being too new to mulligan correctly and the second is a problem in MtG anyway since lifelink leads to degenerate situations.
>>
>>44076721
Bonus spidery fingers and nails shadow!
>>
File: 1361859510579.jpg (220 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1361859510579.jpg
220 KB, 600x600
>>44076741
ARE YOU A GRILL?
>>
>>44076721
I've wanted to like Epic because it is supposed to be like mtg, but every time I've played it I've come away from the games hating them and thinking throughout that I'd rather just play mtg.
>>
What is your most favourite and most hated Eurogame? Mine:

favourite:
>Power Grid

least favorite:
>Race for the Galaxy
Could be that I was just introduced poorly to it, but the mechanics didn't feel like they meshed well with the theme and objective at all to me. But if you consider 7 wonders a sort of Eurogame then that is definitely my most hated. Seriously fuck that game
>>
>>44076850
No, I'm am oven. Stop being insensitive to convection based heating appliances.
>>
>>44076741
Are you the person someone else said made a whole bunch of homebrew rules for Ti3? If so can you please post those rules?

Also any advice for a group of us who are going to play TI3 in a week or 2 would be welcome
>>
>>44077006
I did. I'm so sorry but I can't. The shitty Web host I was using deleted my entire site the day after I made an update for "inactivity". It's irrecoverable. Until I get new hosting (and money for it) I can't do a full write up all over again. Sucks too cause I had my summoner wars edits and Digimon game rules up.
>>
>>44077050
Damn, that's a shitty deal. Well maybe I'll ask again at some point in the future. Thanks anyway tho
>>
How do I git gud at Sheriff of Nottingham?
>>
>>44077221
learn how to lie and have a good poker face. Act like a Jew
>>
>>44077274
How do Jews act, Anon?
>>
>>44077304
Like the Sheriff in Nottingham.
>>
>>44077304
Just watch professional Sheriff of Nottingham matches and get a few books on Sheriff of Nottingham strategic analysis
>>
>>44066933
Groo The Card Game
>>
>>44077274
Do you generally make more when you're the sheriff or when you're smuggling? I'm pretty bad at reading people, so I end up losing most of my coins while sheriff or letting people go without bribes.
>>
>>44077221
Play more and/or practice. That's pretty much how you get better at any game.
>>
>>44077415
Is your meta isn't particularly mature, offer to let anything through for 10 coins once when you're sheriff. Then watch everyone's faces when they take your deal, think they've made a load of money on contraband, but you end up winning by a landslide.
>>
>>44077453
Hm, I'll have to try that next time.
>>
On the topic of Sheriff of Nottingham, is it worth it to hunt down the promo cards?
>>
>>44079022
When is it ever worthwhile hunting down promo cards/tiles?

Serious question, my only experience is with the viceroy promos which are broken as hell.
>>
>>44079069
Many of the promo cards are very high value contraband goods, which help counter the honesty strategy.
>>
>>44079084
Only one I've got is the royal summons or whatever, but it's a great little addition to the game.
>>
>>44076721

I did not, thanks I need to research more.

I've also wanted to play Epic but I'm on the fence. Seems like it tries to beat M:tG at its own game (and loses).
>>
>>44079069
What, you mean you're not a completionist who just have to have every last addition to a game?

myfaceisagrimaceasimouththewordcasualinanelongatedsneeringtone.jpg
>>
So who among you is strong willed enough to throw away all those spare game expansion boxes that are just sitting around being useless?
>>
>>44079982
Shelf space is a premium in my condo.
>>
>>44079982
I keep telling myself they are empty boxes that will NEVER get use and I just can't bring myself to do it
>>
Was going to post this in the dedicated Dead of Winter thread that was up, but it seems to have rolled a tooth.

To mitigate the risk of the betrayer not committing any small insidious acts of betrayal, but rather unloading all at once with food-eating and waste-creating, turning the game into "do we even have a betrayer" to "LOLFUCKU traitor wins!" in a single round, how about introducing a mechanic that lets players *interrupt* another player's action to call a vote for exile, with a penalty if that vote comes back not guilty?

This would force betrayers to do their treachery quietly, through tanking crisis cards and being inefficient.
>>
>>44067366
Personally like RFTG the most out of these, specially now with the added diversity from the expansion.

Didn't find Panamax that fun in mechanics or theme, Kingsburg and Trajan I found to be ok, just not as fun as RFTG.
>>
>>44075260
Had Colony Wars and the new Gambits for a while now (got it from Essen Spiel) and they're fun but adding all the expansions together (Merc Base, merc Cruiser, The two ships and bases boosters, core game, colony wars) it gets a bit much and the chance of one color dominating the trade row can get to big.

>>44075330
Played it with eight players (yes I now have 8 starter decks).
>>
>>44076721
EPIC has a value problem. Way to high value effects and swingy plays. When you kill your opponent in two turns (their first, your first, their second and your second) and it happens fairly often it gets a bit silly. "Oh you didn't have that ONE card that could stop my ONE card... Gee"

Way to swingy, but alot of fun if it don't happen.
>>
>>44079982
The only expansion box I've kept is the Duel of Ages 2 Master Set, because you need it and the base box to hold everything.

I need the space too much to keep any of the others.
>>
>>44076979
>Power Grid
Takes to long with to little gameplay for the actual time it takes. Close to hitting Monopoly levels for me.

>Race For The Galaxy
I agree that race handles a lot of its own mechanics poorly, it's hard to view other players cards and you need to view other players cards for the main mechanic to be usefull and then there's that part of having the actual cards as economy as well, ugh.

Roll fixes a lot of that, not all, but a lot of it for me.
>>
>>44077398
There was a Groo card game?

>>44079022
Worth? No? If you feel more at ease if you have them, sure? Expansion coming soon though so..
>>
>>44080552
That's basically what my group has started doing.
Has made it a LOT harder for the saboteur, and completely prevents the drama of a big betrayal, but it does solve the problem.
>>
>>44080552
Sounds like a decent idea, the traitor has it way to easy as it is.
>>
>>44081072
>completely prevents the drama of a big betrayal
This doesn't seem like a problem to me. In a game like DoW, a series of small betrayals contributes more to the hopeless, oppressing despair that makes up the atmosphere.
>>
File: 1431221201357.jpg (25 KB, 436x436) Image search: [Google]
1431221201357.jpg
25 KB, 436x436
>>44080552
Sounds neat. What's the penalty for a not guilty vote?
>>
>>44081230
Haven't decided; just came up with the idea today.

The trick is to find a punishment that doesn't harm the colony, or else the whole affair helps the traitor. How about the offended player gets to take a card from your hand?
>>
Anyone know of anyone that made a big box to store all of nightfall or thunderstone? I've made schematics like twice now, and each time I somehow end up losing them and rage out. Would like to skip the design part and skip right to the making part.
>>
>>44081652
In my experience, going for perfect organization is a losing battle. With large games, it's generally better to use those plastic jewelry organizers with like 24 little boxes for small cardboard pieces, thin strips of bondage tape to group card decks together, and large plastic bags to group bigger components.

My philosophy doesn't stress perfect arrangement of pieces, but rather perfect grouping of pieces, making finding the piece you need quick.
>>
>>44081704

B-b-but that's not nearly as cool as a miniature coffin with divided rows inside for nightfall, or my leather bound square box for thunderstone with all the thunderstones tooled on to top :(
>>
>>44081755
Of course not! That stuff is REALLY COOL! One of the things that makes them really cool is the fact that they're not mass produced: they're labors of love that make you smile every time you bring the game out, because this thing is great and you built it yourself.

If you want to get one *perfect*, design it using modeling software like CAD and 3D print it.
>>
Is the rebels/imperials expansion to Race for the Galaxy any good? I like the game, but it needs more player interaction.
>>
>>44081755
>my leather bound square box for thunderstone with all the thunderstones tooled on to top
PIC
PIIIIIIC
>>
>>44080776
So far only one in 5 games (30 played) were swingy without it inadvertently being one of our fault. That I can see anyway. The game is deeper than it first appears. I review each game card for card and learned what should've been a fairly obvious fact: small decisions have game changing impact because each gold card has game changing impact. I once won because she loyalty revealed that one change of heart card before I surprise attacked out my Kong (killing a thing). Had I been scared off I would've been pinged to death by blue dragon and a cinder Pyromancer clone. Further, I used it to my advantage and beef my Kong for a direct attack exploding her life way down. Then used my gold to summon something and a free Ogre so that if she took Kong, they both attacked, either hitting directly causing a loss. ALL from revealing a card.

We're both MtG PTQ hopefuls. She hasn't lost a draft event locally in 3 years and before that has an 80% draft ratio. I was undefeated in sealed for 5 years before meeting her. Every game we ever play comes down to the wire. It took us a few games but we had to eventually realize that in Epic, seemingly mundane decisions have huge consequences unlike our experience in mtg. Magic had this awful clunky slowness to it because it's afraid to try and give the game enough nuances to be like this. Know why turn 1 thought seize wrecks? Because rarely is there much to do on turn 1 in mtg. In epic I can do just as much turn 1 as turn 4 if my opponent is skilled.
>>
Need battlecon ruling:
If I dash or use an ability to move behind my opponent, while they use burst, do they move backwards, towards my original position, or do they end up moving into where I am currently?
>>
>>44083927
Have i mentioned this week that I think you'd enjoy netrunner because I think you'd enjoy netrunner, and every time you start analyzing a card game I'm more convinced.
>>
File: abyss.jpg (272 KB, 1400x609) Image search: [Google]
abyss.jpg
272 KB, 1400x609
So I tried out abyss today for the first time, was pretty neat. Anyone tried out the expansion yet?
>>
>>44084321
The location tiles involved with the new loot deck can make for really swingy and dumb situations.

They're easily removed though, making a solid expansion otherwise.
>>
>>44084321
>>44084351
How many times did you have a pearl run away from you?

How many pearls have you lost?
>>
>>44084355
Haven't lost any that I'm aware of, and once everything is set up pearls stay put.

When I'm getting everything out of the box though, they have a tendency to go everywhere.
>>
>>44084378
Every few turns I butterfingers one across the table when I'm picking it up.

Spheres, man. Spheres.
>>
>>44075260

Drop your deck down to a single Cutter or suffer the consequences.

Seriously what were they thinking with that card?
>>
Is Tuscany (Viticulture) worth buying? My family will play board games, but only Euros, and only Euros that don't involve space, history, horror, or anything else remotely exciting. Winemaking, that they can handle, but Viticulture gets repetitive.
>>
>>44084540
Tuscany adds so much shit to Viticulture that it's insane, a definite must-have if you like the base game.
>>
>>44077221

Whenever you are smuggling, bribe the Sheriff one gold more than what they would get from catching you with it.
>>
>>44070828
>Saw the fucking op image and laughed

I did Yahtzee that coming...
>>
Has anyone played Level 7 Omega Protocol? And if so what are your thoughts on it?
>>
>>44077398
I'd be all over that one too. But I'd be glad for dice that didn't need to have stickers plastered on them if a new edition showed up.
>>
File: Typical Board Game Collector.jpg (44 KB, 307x419) Image search: [Google]
Typical Board Game Collector.jpg
44 KB, 307x419
>>44079804
>What, you mean you're not a completionist who just have to have every last addition to a game?

What?... No! I mean, it's not like I HAVE to have every Heroes of Normandie add-on...
>>
>>44086187
You are the worst kind of person.
>>
>>44087713
You have to take risks to be funny, anon.
>>
Can I suggest adding Tabletop Sim to the pastebin? It's not free but its sure a way to play boardgames with the anons.
>>
>>44087729
Bet you thought you had a monopoly on jokes, huh?
>>
Any updates from the people taking part in the BGG auction?

Finalized everything through the geek market, and got the message that it will be sent on Monday or Wednesday. Sent the money and since then no confirmation.
>>
>>44077388

That's how I approach almost everything. My friend calls it the Twilight Sparkle syndrome.

So... what are some good books to get about boardgames ;D?
>>
File: fl.png (866 KB, 1000x1595) Image search: [Google]
fl.png
866 KB, 1000x1595
making game with magnets.

Why? because magnets.
>>
>>44080814
Powergrid has a lot, lot more going on than Monopoly, but since I find it about as interesting as filing my taxes, that just makes it a bigger chore. So while I respect Powergrid a lot more than Monopoly, I probably enjoy it less.
>>
>>44088368
Thanks for summarizing how I feel about Eclipse.
Yeah, it's more euro-y and strategic and economical etc. than TI3, but it's really just so much bookkeeping.
>>
>>44080737

Interesting, thanks maybe I'll take a look. I hope that the starter deck isn't insanely priced.
>>
File: typicalwargame.jpg (433 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
typicalwargame.jpg
433 KB, 1024x768
>>44088334
YES
>>
>>44087713
Oh, come on! There are plenty of brats wurst than me on this board.
>>
>>44088561
I saw the Kick Starter for the magnetic chit holders. It's the kind of thing I'd need if I wanted to leave a game going long term. Cats man. Cats...
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 1916x929) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 1916x929
>>44082962

Wrote that sort of wrong, was a reply from the middle of a nap.

The coffin box setup is the plan for nightfall

For Thunderstone I'm making that box.

Have the wood, the leather, the tools. Just seems to keep getting pushed back though. I really need to get it done though, there's like 8 boxes of Thunderstone/nightfall cards sitting around in various states of disarray.

Pic related was prototype image for the nightfall box. The white should be empty space but I'm still learning the program. Old man is size reference.
>>
File: image.jpg (554 KB, 4080x2720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
554 KB, 4080x2720
>>44089526

I think I might actually skip the tooling and do some shiny silver wire inlay. Think that would look pretty sexy on some rich brown wood.
>>
Hi, tg.
Which one is the best race for the galaxy expansions?
I heard that the first few ones sucked or were not worth it; but the last one is actually good?

Has anyone tried it?
>>
>>44085042
Bad pattern, smart sheriffs will eagerly cost themselves one coin to deny you contraband if you're even remotely in the game. That said, can still be used to bait them into opening a legal bag.
>>
>>44086222
My favorite competitive dungeoncrawler. Very tough on the overlord, you need to have your shit together to have any shot at winning, especially in the early scenarios. Lane of sight rules are problematic, feel free to subtitle your own, there's a couple suggestions over on the BGG. Models are good detail but annoying material, will likely need to heat/cool them in water to get the bases to stay flat.
>>
>>44084050
Burst triggers at the step before dash would. Other guy bursts backwards first, then you dash towards ( possibly no longer in range to hit)
>>
Hi, can anyone please tell me if pandemic legacy plays well with 2 players?
I'm considering getting for my parents for Xmas.
Thanks!
>>
>>44090811
Yeah, should be great with 2.
>>
>>44088213
He's replied to me with my total. Now I'm waiting on a response on how to pay him. Does he give me his paypal address or does BGG have some kind of special system? If so, I'd love to know how to use it.
>>
>>44091851

He gave me he's paypal address in the first mail he wrote after winning the auction, I suspect that it's the same and you might have missed it.

As far as I know BGG doesn't have any system except the geekmarket - if he created an auction for you and accepted you as a payer then you just write the money through paypal.
>>
>>44084050
Movement direction is determined at the beginning of the movement. Whichever direction will cause him to retreat when he starts moving, that's the direction he goes for the entire movement. If he also had a style with "Start of beat: advance x spaces," he could conceivably pass you, and then continue moving in the same direction with Burst's "retreat" movement

As the anon said though, Burst is Start of beat and Dash is After activation. Burst movement is always completed first regardless of priority (which is what makes burst such a good counter to dash)
>>
>>44091890
Yea disregard my previous post, I'm a fucking retard.

I can't wait to get my stuff in, however long that may be

>waiting on him to ship
>waiting on transit from tikiland to the real world
Oh man.
>>
So, with the end of the year, comes a bunch of top lists from a bunch of game reviewers, what are your top ten 2015 games tg?
>>
>>44093979
I'm not even sure if I own ten 2015 releases.
Fury of Dracula
Mafia de Cuba
Two rooms and a Boom
Chaosmos
Codenames
Specter Ops
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong (delivered today)
Mare Nostrum (probably won't arrive before 2016)
>>
>>44092007
>Movement direction is determined at the beginning of the movement
I see.
The situation in question was Karin's "switch places with Jager token" card VS Burst.
They were both Start of Beat effects, but the Burst had lower priority. So as I understand it, the proper sequence of events would be: Karin teleports to the other side of the character, then Burst activates and moves the character the direction where Karin WAS.
Another question: Dash's attack evasion property stems from Dash itself, and not as a result of moving to the other side of the opponent? In other words, if I used Karin's card to move to the other side, or Demitras' "Jousting" card which places him on the opposite of an opponent, would the opponent's attack still hit (assuming sufficient stun guard and range)? I think it works that way but need confirmation.
>>
>>44094405
The shit is all this, wasn't someone just last thread claiming that battle con was way more elegant than yomi?
>>
Has anything good come out in the past year or so? I've been out of the loop for about that long but need to spice up my collection and don't know where to start (I used to be able to just play new stuff all the time, made it easy)
>>
>>44093979
I've only played 15 or so 2015 games, and most of them I've only played once or twice. So I can give first impressions but not a top 10

-Between Two Cities: competent production, scoring is difficult/unsatisfying, wish the double tiles were more flexible, generally a fine drafting game with a gimmick that's better with a friendlier group
-Blood Rage: turned off by the fact that drafting is so important/takes away from other aspects of the game, play is "okay," more enjoyable than many area control games at least
-Broom Service: loved it, the race element that the board introduces gives the game rhythm while the random event deck/negative point roles for lower player counts prevents turns from feeling samey. I also just love the screwage
-Codenames: it works, casual non-gamers can get into it. Good agents can make short work of bad agents, but two bad agents makes the game slow and boring
-Dead Men Tell No Tales: seems competently made but nothing compels me to try it again since it's a bit too complicated for the people I'd play co-ops with
-Discoveries: surprised by this one. Faster paced than most games I own (discovery card supply might go too fast to plan ahead), a few interesting decisions each turn, beautiful art, like it better than RollftG
-Elysium: lots of interesting decisions, often on the edge of my seat trying to eyefuck my opponent out of taking the card I desperately need
-Epic: My friends and I found it amusing to play. I'll definitely break this out again whenever I happen upon a ccg player
-The Grizzled: wanted it mostly for the art, not going to lie. I find the theme very compelling, and I really do think it's interesting to play despite not being the deepest experience
-Mafia de Cuba: FBI/CIA almost always fucks it up for everyone else. Besides that, it's fun if the Godfather knows what he's doing, and really stupid if the Godfather is new to social deduction. Almost no one bothers to actually count the diamonds, god damnit
>>
>>44094545
-Mysterium: the ghost wouldn't shut up (in a cute/funny way) but we still managed to have a blast with it. I played the American edition, and thank god for the gameyness of voting on each other's guesses. It just gives you a much better personal stake in other's investigations
-Nevermore: liked it in the beginning, but grew tired of it because games were too long at larger player counts. Loved it at 3 players though
-Orleans: bag-building doesn't do too much more for me that deck-building doesn't cover. Still enjoyed the game and the great projects mechanic is great
-Risk:Star Wars: not sure about this game, I had closer games before the "designer revised rules" than I did after. Of course that's random variance for you, so I think I will still break this out if I've got the right player in front of me
-Vault Wars: fun, a little slow. I like auction mechanics, although I can see repeated playthroughs getting monotonous
-Voyages of Marco Polo: liked it, like in Broom Service I like the kind of planning in these games that requires you to race across the board efficiently. It just feels so good finally getting to Shanghai. Variable player powers in this game are crazy
>>
>>44094499
Forbidden stars seems like a fun return to fantasy flights old bug box games. It's great at two. But I hear it is a slog with 3 and 4.

Epic and Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn are both card card games.

Though not a new series per se, the latest Summoner Wars box set Alliances is a fantastic intro to the game, compliments deckbuilding if you were already deep into the game, and gives great bang for your buck.

Race for the Galaxy was the first euro I've played in years, and it was a surprising treat.

Not exactly a year recent, but Sheriff of Nottingham is a fun lying game.

That's about all I can think of in the "brand new" department from my experience.
>>
>>44094415
I've never heard anyone say one or the other was more "elegant". Some people just prioritize the combo/hand building feel, the spatial component, price, etc., of one of the two.

I won't buy anything of Sirlin's, but that doesn't make Battlecon the better game, just different in how it gets to where its going.
>>
>>44093979

I'm with everyone else, not many 2015 games. I'll go with listing everything I bought.

Xenoshyft - a bit too hard, turns off the average player
Rise of the Kage - tenchu the board game. Fun, but needs some balancing
Rum and Bones - MOBA in board game form. Good stuff

I think...that's it.
>>
>>44094405
Yep, although where she used to be positioned is incidental. I think you get it though. You always start the retreat by moving away from where the character is currently

The answer to your second question is yes. Of course, some characters have styles or UAs that can give them "can't be hit this beat" as well.

>>44094415
>>44094634
It's a better fighting game. Fighting games are complex, and BattleCON matches that complexity. The only fighting game staples it does away with are button combos and breakneck pacing. You still need a solid understanding of the system to play properly. There's a lot of heady mechanics inside but that's why it's such a rewarding game
>>
>>44094545
Something like 20 games in and we've still never had FBI/CIA win, which has been driving me nuts.
>>
>>44084052
Every time I think I might love net runner (used to play cyberpunk) I remember that play is so vastly asymmetrical. I'm not into card games like that. I like things top be easy to compare. Like a duel. However board games I love that way. Plus I haven't seen a single FFG LCG that stacks up even to simple games I've played like Cardfight vanguard, no offense meant. I ran a CFV analysis site for a few years so you're right in that I love to analyze games.
>>
>>44084521
Trust me I know that. FUCK cutters. Last night we were like "let's have a quick game before bed. Go light on outposts and defensive strategies". We agree. Except only I stick to it. What does she do? Buy every outpost and cutter plus blue healing. "I didn't mean to! It was just optimal" Almost strangled my gf lol
>>
File: siggy frolo.jpg (12 KB, 300x422) Image search: [Google]
siggy frolo.jpg
12 KB, 300x422
>>44096225
>Gay person doesn't like asymmetrical game.
Faszinierend.
>>
>>44093979
>what are your top ten 2015 games tg?

Are we talking:

"Top 10 games of the all the various games I played in 2015"?
or
"Top 10 games I purchased in 2015"?
or
"Top 10 games I purchased that were published in 2015"?

Help a Gaming Bro out here Anon...
>>
>>44096225
I don't think that asymmetry is going to mess with your ability to compare or analyze things, each side of the board still has options that compare directly internally. If anything, it makes analysis more interesting. That's how I see it, anyways.
>>
>>44077221
tell the truth. all game. every game. don't smuggle shit. the trick with a lot of these social type games is to develop a reputation. my group played a tooon of resistance/bsg, as well as more tactical multiplayer affairs, and i developed -- rightly -- a reputation for being a treacherous scumbag who will literally break a deal with you as soon as it's made. i wasn't able to get people into a position to betray them anymore, since no one trusted me in the first place. so i changed my style completely. if i made agreements, i stuck to them entirely. i was always honest about my intentions and my hidden information. in games like sheriff, i never smuggled, just chickens all day.

now, when i *do* decide to fuck someone over, it's surprising and effective instead of "oh well that's just ppd, of course she did that."

also, specifically for sheriff, rather than broadly social games, make complicated deals with the sheriff. not just "don't look in my bag and i'll give you x coins." you gotta make the deal byzantine as all hell, so it's hard to even tell what anyone's getting out of it. get multiple to go in, say "ok, you open player b's bag, and i'll give you three coins no matter what, and player c will give you six coins if there's contraband, but you'll pay them two coins if ..." etc etc

that game is at its best -- imho anyway -- when the meat of your bribes would take a law student three days to untangle
>>
>>44096225
>>44097201
seconded. netrunner is ~*pretty cool*~
>>
>>44097342
The reputation thing is both super effective and reliably hilarious.
"STEEV never lies about his bag of Cocks" and "Never go in against STEEV when Cocks are on the line" have become alarmingly regular exclamations.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 632x474) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 632x474
>>44086187
Wakka wakka
>>
>>44097645
christ peter no wonder you're losing. stop posting on /tg/ and concentrate on your game.
>>
>>44088561
I think there have been actual wars with less setup than that.
>>
>>44084540
people say its pretty much a must. though there's some different editions and what not now which seems quite irritating as not all content is in all editions.
>>
>>44094724
>Xenoshyft - a bit too hard, turns off the average player
We found it way to easy and very bland. We really did want to like it though. Maybe you need a lot of teh kickstarter material for it to really shine, we didnt.
>>
>>44097847
w-what? is there another ppd running around out there somewhere?
>>
>>44075260
I prefer Cthulhu Realms in multiplayer but heads up or emperor/hydra Star Realms (core, colony wars, all the ships and bases expansions, not random events, merc base and cruiser and so on, or just choise of picks) is really fun.

>Feb
Got my set from Essen, with the new gambits as well. Waiting for the season events card pack to show up (love the bases in it, that are featured in the online game).
>>
>>44098041
yeah, that one is a millionaire from playing video games.
>>
>>44075353
Get Colony Wars and you'll have four sets with out doubling up on any card sets.
>>
>Colony Wars
Got to love them new yellows.. So freaking fun to play.
>>
>>44098089
>PewDePie
>PPD.

Boy, you don't read so well, do you?

SIde note, anyone else get their Cthulhu Wars Kickstarter bonus stuff yet? I just got a nice box full of models with display cases, two Great Old Ones, and 7 Faction Cards.

Which is upsetting when you only have the core 4 factions. Hot damn those other 3 look enticing. Tsoggatha's combat power, and Sloth move, Ithaqua's insane combat while his lieutenant is incredibly hard to kill...I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY FOR THIS, PETERSEN.
>>
>>44098258
http://www.joindota.com/en/edb/player/11603-ppd

Faggit.
>>
>>44098325

Well, shit, I never though there would have been two guys with such similar initials both making a cushy living off of video games.

That's on me, man. I fucked up.
>>
>>44098325
>>44098258
i had no idea such a human existed such as this
>>
I've been interested in worker placement games since forever, but I've never actually played one. Should I buy Lords of Waterdeep? Or should I feed my ameriFUN addiction and buy Fury of Dracula?
>>
>>44099555
A mediocre worker placement or arguably the best hidden movement game of all time?

Come on.
>>
>>44100416

>A mediocre worker placement

This makes me happy. Always thought the game was shit, but everyone in the area thinks it's the best thing since ever.

I long for the day when splendor gets trashed on the daily. Prolly gonna be awhile.
>>
>>44100498
>splendor gets traded on daily
That game is so overpackaged and underthemed i cant even look at it. I'm presently making fun of a friend for buying his parents carcasonne expansions. I mean, they're old, but I'm sure they're at least theoretically capable of still experiencing joy, don't know why he wants to rob them of that.
>>
>>44100614

>That game is so overpackaged and underthemed

Agreed. I mean in the grand scheme of things I don't really care if people play it, but I remember my first and only time with it, and I spent the whole game trying to explain to myself what exactly I was doing thematically. Asked the other guys and they couldn't give me an answer, nor do I imagine they cared.

It's just like, eck, the kind of color and number manipulation you do when you're a child.

Maybe it's because it's something without theme that's masquerading as having it. Tetris has no theme, but I love me some tetris something fierce.
>>
>>44100667
No, I agree, there is something more irritating about a paper-thin theme that doesn't bother me in an abstract that embraces it.
>>
>>44100667
I really hate abstract integer and number manipulation. Western ccgs often have a serious problem where that's the bulk of the game too. The old decipher star wars game comes to mind, except that also had the joys of random starter decks, weird inconsistent wording, overly complicated action phases, extreme specificity (another trashy western ccg trait, like adding "tags" on the card a la Bandai Naruto then referencing them so thinly that you can't build reliable strategy around it. This doesn't go for like "goblin" in mtg. You get the picture).

Why did I launch into a ccg rant from a splendor comment?
>>
>>44099555
lords of waterdeep is fine, although if you're interested in worker placement games and have never played one there are much, much better calls i think.

agricola is the classic, and i think pretty close to a perfect euro game. which doesn't mean that it's the most fun, necessarily, but it's so so tight and every decision you make really matters. if you can handle the dry as a bone farming theme and very minor player interaction it's a legit pick, although maybe not entry level?

caylus mainly works at trying to fix the lack of player interactions that's common in worker placement games, and has some building type things that kind of inspired lords of waterdeep iirc. it's not my very favorite, but it's alright.

tzol'kin. just, just tzol'kin. gears. corn. what more could you possibly want from a board game than gears and corn and tiny little crystal skulls?
>>
File: RedMap3.jpg (1 MB, 2447x1585) Image search: [Google]
RedMap3.jpg
1 MB, 2447x1585
Someone posted the other day about solitaire wargames: reds by gmt works well solitaire for russophiles
>>
>>44101070
I've thought about agricola but there is absolutely no way I could get my gaming group to play it. The reason I gravitated to Lords of Waterdeep is because A) It looks like something I could trick my friends into playing, whereas most other worker placement games they'd balk at and B) Its like number 23 on boardgamegeek which I know doesn't really mean anything. But without actually trying to, two-thirds of my collection is in the top 100 on that site, so maybe that's something.

Fury of Dracula would be a riot though, especially since we've had few games of Letters from Whitechapel and found them tense and tons of fun, but we recognized that the came could be much better
>>
>>44101336
The only worker placement games I've gotten people to play that normally don't like them are Manhattan Project and Empires: Age of Discovery.

The former because nukes and stuff (I neglected to tell them you don't actually nuke each other until I was explaining the rules) and the latter because I mentioned Age of Empires and they were all over that without knowing what the game was about.

Empires is really expensive, so overall I'd suggest Manhattan Project.
>>
Does anyone know about the Keldon AI for Race of the Galaxy? Is it normal to end a game in around 10 minutes, or am I just a terrible player?
>>
>>44100498
>but everyone in the area thinks it's the best thing since ever

probably because its the most well known worker placement type game and its most likely the only one they have played before.
>>
>>44093979

Jesus, nigga, I don't know if I played 10 different games this year least of all 10 games from 2015.
>>
>>44099555

Buy Dominant Species because Dominant Species.
>>
>>44099555
Stone Age is probably the beter introduction to worker placement. Though the D&D theme probably lures people in more.
>>
So /bgg/ what are your favorite card games? Do you play LCG? CCG?
>>
>>44106127
Cthulhu Realms, Star Realms, Blood Bowl Team Manager.. Deck-Builders in general. Coup aint bad either.
>>
At what point does /tg/ decide a game is too expensive for a game to be?

I think the price tag on Cthulhu wars and kingdom dickmonsters is absurd, and that I'll never get 200-300 dollars worth of value out of them. Not to say I don't spend a lot on games though. Spent a bunch on Myth, talisman, Arkham horror, etc etc, but those are games that now have a metric shit ton of expansions and content. Not seeing that with games that have base price over 200.

How much is too much /tg/?
>>
>>44106739

Well it's simple economy - if I had infinite money (and infinite shelves) I'd buy everything I'd like. As it is I try to stay under $50/month the only exception is when I'm absolutely obsessed about something and I'm sure that I'd regret not buying it.

So far the most I paid was for Stracraft and the expansion because I loved the computer game and I'm pretty sure that even if I didn't play it often I'd still not regret having it but I would regret not buying it.

So far nothing else even came close to the *need* of having that game.
>>
>>44106739
Everything seems too much to me these days desu. When you see a game discounted to £55 as the cheapest copy and then see it's $55 in the States it just puts me off.
>>
>>44106739
I want both of those expensive games you mentioned really bad, but there's no way I'd buy a game with the price tag of a gaming console when I'm unsure of how often I'd be able to play it, and if each play would be able to get my gaming group wanting for more or not. I mull over $60+ games in general for quite some time before deciding on buying it.

That said, if I had $200 - $300 lying around I'd rather buy something like Cosmic Encounter or Memoir 44 with all expansions or something, over either Cthulhu Wars or Kingdom Death: Monsters.
>>
>>44101134
Is it a true solitaire or "I'm playing both sides" solitaire?

I have nothing against the latter, having played more than one complete game of WW2: Barbarossa to Berlin by myself, but I'm in for some true solo games.
>>
>>44106127
For constructed, has to be netrunner.
Deckbuilders, star realms or arctic scsvengers.
Other, the newest edition of coup, or mascarade.

>>44106739
Stuff around $100 msrp for the base game is the highest I'll willingly go, and it needs to be something fundamental impressive like twilight imperium to boot. And I still won't buy it at anything near msrp.

That said, perfectly willing to get Carried away in expansions by even an expensive game if it continues to be rewarding, asy heroes of normandie and netrunner completionism would indicate.
>>
What's your favorite dice mechanic?
>>
>>44107491
I enjoyed the varied dice in Roll for the Galaxy. Which dice you can add to your pool, and later choose to add to your cup, does feel meaningful. Using a dice of any side to activate an ability or change another one to help alter really bad rolls was also well received.

I really like how the dice resources in Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn work. That the top tier facing can be used for a minor buff is reminiscient of when my friend and I would play magic the gathering with a 52 card deck. cards could always be discarded for a small effect based on suit (effects like tap, +1/+1, ping for 1, and scry 1), and Ashes makes using said abilityan important choice, as it is also denying you that dice to pay for a card. I have not been playing it nearly as much, as Summoner Wars has proven to be not easily replaced, but expansions have finally been announced. That might rekindle some love for it with my group. It really needs more deckbuilding?draft options at the moment.
>>
>>44107491

No dice to be honest.

While I don't mind randomness per se dice and I much prefer other sources of randomness like cards. Rolling dice for damage or anything seems really cheap in my eyes.

To each his own I guess.
>>
File: 20151210_182555.jpg (7 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151210_182555.jpg
7 MB, 5312x2988
>>44106127
Force of Will

I've been playing CCGs since I was a kid with pokemon. I eventually moved up to digimon, then yugioh, then magic, and a few dead games in between.

Now I casually play Magic, casually play pokemon, super casually play Hearthstone if that counts, and semi-competitively play Force of Will.

FoW is everything I've ever wanted with magic, or fuck man, everything I've ever wanted in a card game:
>roughly 100 cards per expansion, not 2 million
>usually 2-3 rares per pack
>super cheap to play competitively compariitively speaking
>never get "land" fucked since it's a separate deck
>implements a commander like EDH
>playerbase is SO much more open and kind
>Bonus: Anime art

However, there's still some cons to it:
>young game, powercreep is fucking rampant with each new set
>still mainly "do ya wanna play aggro or control?"
>Anime Art for those who can't tolerate it
>it's still a fucking CCG and not an LCG

New set released midnight last night, and this is one of the packs I cracked- a god pack.
Every card in it was a stamped foil.
>>
>>44108254

You forgot to point out there's a lot of creepy loli art in it. Feels good to see most of the folks at the flgs avoid it like the plague.
>>
>>44106127
I'm kinda big on Pixel Tactics series, but I'm really not into card games - I always mix CCGs and LCGs. I don't know the proper terminology, so I'll describe it as I can.

>Each game in the Pixel Tactics series has 2 identical decks for each player.
>You can make custom decks if you have more than one game from the series.
>You have a game mode that allows you for 2 players to draw from a single deck, if you have more than one game from the series.
>There are rules for 2v2.
>Each card has 4 different uses + special power if they are the commander.

The only thing I really dislike about it how small is the text on the cards.
>>
>>44108254
>loads of power creep
>ccg
>played literally every single one of the big cash cow ccgs over the past two decades
How's it feel to be a confessed drug addict?
>>
>>44108254
Why do anime card games have to put some randomly assigned number of zeroes after numbers? God, it's so very, very stupid.
>>
>>44108998

I remember reading somewhere that was just eastern style. Western style ccgs use small numbers, or just no zeros
>>
File: FB_IMG_1449005814676.jpg (84 KB, 800x467) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449005814676.jpg
84 KB, 800x467
>>44108341
Yuuuuup, feels great.
If someone is unable to play a game because of the art, that's one less sperg for me to worry dealing with at shop.

>>44108887
Not really. I spend more money on board games and 40k.
I seldom buy packs for pokemon, only buy packs for magic when I'm drafting with them, and my FoW routine is buy a box, then singles for whatever else I need.
~$100 every 3 months for one card game is a bit much, but I enjoy it. And unlike my board games, folk actually want to play FoW with me.

>>44108998
It's a cultural thing. Folk from Moonland love XBAWKSHUEG numbers for some reason.
>>
>>44109305
But what's the point? To let everyone know how hardcore they are? It just takes up space and ink and makes the cards busier for no functional reason at all.
. . .Which I guess is a staple of japanese art.

And it's not like I mind the greebles on netrunner cards, to be fair.
>>
>>44109401
Where do you live that the people who DON'T like baloon tittied anime catgirl cardgames are the sperglords?
>>
>>44109446

When you're announcing what monstrosity is arriving on the field, I guess it's more intimidating to say its power level is 15,000 instead of 15
>>
>>44109446
It takes up just as much ink as every other card of the same size (they're full print cards). Yeah it takes up more space but I think the reason for it is that Yen has determined how much value a thing has. If your game's biggest card has less "strength/attack/whatever" than it costs in Yen to buy a stick of gum, the Japanese market will think it looks weird/out of place
>>
>>44106499
>>44107490
>>44108254

Thank you very much guys for chipping in!
>>
>>44109580
>card needs bigger numbers so it subconsciously compares favorably to the base currency unit.
That's actually a really interesting thought.
I mean, still retarded. But interesting retarded.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1449848126637.jpg (93 KB, 677x925) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449848126637.jpg
93 KB, 677x925
>>44109469
From my experience with most forms of analog gaming, the most aggressive, pretentious, self-righteous, etc people are the ones who play Standard in MtG and 40k.

Sure, weebs that can't hide their power level are obnoxious at times, but most of our local crew one would never guess they liked anime or played FoW. Our shop has some obnoxious people every now and then on FoW nights, but it's nothing compared to raging over my $20 RDW deck kicking your $400 deck's ass or the elitist attitude many mtg players share because they've been in the game longer or that one time they made top 8 in some important event.
>>
>>44109768

Artwork reminds me of Overlord
>>
>>44109580
My thought is that since they are used to calculating in hundreds or thousands when dealing with lots of money they find it easier to count when the numbers are at 100+, in addition to the ">100 = weak" thing.
>>
Played last night for the first time Sheriff of Nottingham and Sushi Go with my family, had a wonderful time. Surprisingly enough my little sister is fucking good at Sheriff, you don't know when she is lying. At the end my wife won tho, I believe I have married a jew in disguise.
>>
>>44109768

>ccg players talking shit about other ccg players.

Kek. Them again I will say the worst people I've met in my entire life were through mtg. 40k could never hope to match those shitheads. Warmahordes sure is trying though.
>>
Help me /BGG/, do I set up Kingdom Death, Chaos in the Old World, Fury of Dracula, or Forbidden Stars up tonight?

Anyone who doesn't get in on my heavy game gets relegated to the Table of Social Games where all the girlfriends sit and usually end up playing Card Against.
>>
>>44110608

>kingdom death
I don't own it, but I wouldn't bring in people completely ignorant to what it's about

>Chaos
It takes like 3 games for people to get the game. Also sucks if they don't care about the fluff

>Fury
Sounds easy to understand, not much you should be expected to already know

>Forbidden
Know absolutely squat about this

>dat social table
More like normie prison
>>
>>44110712
For KD, one player is super psyched to play it again, and it's been a few weeks. Everyone else would be in as red shirts (hopefully)

CitOW went over great at Wednesday, Slannesh jerked off in a corner and won because we weren't watching his dial though. Everyone else has sworn vengeance.

Forbidden Stars is just a lot of fun, I think I've gotten about fifteen full games in so far, and I'm still not tired of it. I can't seem to win as UM though.

I broke out Fury last Wednesday and it was a slog because I didn't know wtf I was doing as Dracula and got gibbed in two turns because I forgot to shuffle my events into theirs until like 3 days in. I feel the need to make up for my suck.
>>
>>44110608
Fury, definitely, unless your other players are already really experienced with the others.
Forbidden stars is a nightmare to teach and play at the same time, especially with a full table.
Or maybe everyone was just stupid the night I tried it.
Should have just run Twilight Imperium instead.
>>
>>44110988

I'd go with Fury then, as it sounds like the only game that hasn't actually been played (right)

>>44111154

>TI3
>with scrubs
>hell is just a word

I do think I'll be having one of my house parties using it as a theme. I've played maybe half a game.
>>
>>44111246
It took us seven hours to teach and play our first game of Forbidden Stars with 4.
Last game of TI3 I played with 4 had two new players and was over in 4 hours.
>>
File: image.png (796 KB, 960x370) Image search: [Google]
image.png
796 KB, 960x370
Best game?
>>
File: 1417533602496.jpg (28 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1417533602496.jpg
28 KB, 360x270
>>44111360
Not specter ops.
That's not even best in it's own genre this year.
It's still a great game, though, and I don't regret buying my copy.
But no, not best.
>>
>>44111311

I might just have AP people in my area. I've asked a few, and it generally goes like this.

>For every player...
>+1 hour game length per seasoned player
>+2 per scrub
>+5/never ends if someone brings their uninterested gf/bf
>>
>>44111473
>+5/never ends if someone brings their uninterested gf/bf
Fuck that. I don't even invite people who have a significant other that is not interested in board games, it is just annoying and detrimental to the group.
>>
>>44111504

I've got a friend who did that, he got unofficially banished.

Playing a Deckbuilder, me, him, his gf. She's that "lol so randumb" type so I just ignore her completely after she confirms she understands the rules.

>game goes by
>see her do something that wouldn't work.
>is she cheating?
>"Anonnette, you can't do that, you don't have the coin to purchase that card"
>Her response is "lol, I've just been grabbing random cards for the past 30 minutes to see what would happen"
>friend says nothing, smiles at her
>they awkwardly kiss
>forgot to mention they do it every 5 minutes
>most wooden 90's vidya game kissing I've ever seen
>fucking beta cunt. They're both cunts. I'm knee deep in cunts.
>the rage threatens to boil but I keep it at a simmer

Friend of 14 years. He picks up a GF and goes full beta puppet and vanishes from everyone's radar.

rememberthemastheywere.gif
purgetheunclean.40k
>>
>>44111714
Sadly enough I can relate to that, in our group of friends there are two girls that are LOLSORANDUM and GAMURGIRL. It is their fault that every new female I meet I have very low expectations and assume that if they like something remotely related they are like that.
>>
>>44112270
To be fair, no one else can control your expectation.
But yeah, that kind of BS is incredibly aggravating.
>>
File: pic1805128_lg.jpg (451 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
pic1805128_lg.jpg
451 KB, 1024x678
Found a PBEM group for A Distant Plain

I've been looking for a reliable group for a year.

Hold me /tg/
>>
What other games do you recommend?
My group enjoys Pandemic, Sheriff, Bang and Betrayal at the House.
I'm looking to get Spyfall next, is it good?
>>
>>44112558
>A smattering of lightweight stuff without any particular patten to follow except that you'll play anything with a pretty cover and half-competent execution of theme.
Yeah, spyfall should be fine, and beyond that you'll probably enjoy anything vaguely ameritrashy.
Betrayal is shit.
>>
>>44112658

So why does everyone here hate betrayal? It's not in any of my top lists but it's not THAT bad.
>>
>>44112529
Nice. Updates every now and then? I'm keen on trying the COIN series sometime but my gaming group is somewhat skeptical. Could be that the only COIN game we have is Andean Abyss, which is a rather unusual theme I suppose, and all other COIN games are either sold out everywhere, out of print, or yet to be released...
>>
>>44112709
Hating Betrayal has been a meme with this group since forever. Hatememe increased exponentially in October though.

Just like when you post about Talisman, I just ignore the meme and post about what I want to talk about.
>>
>>44112709
Well, yeah, but you like talisman, and people tend to like/dislike them for the same reasons.

Betrayal goes
>Draw random tiles to build random house
>Draw random loot
>Randomly, haunt begins
>Random player becomes random villain
>Does your random Loot include the Random McGuffin? You Win/Lose!

It's not so much that it can't be fun, both certainly are with the right people in the right mood, it's just that they're both more. . . Experiences, I guess, than games. They're driven more by the largely procedurally generated narrative than by significant player decisions or strategy.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong or worse about that. I mean, I actively dislike them both, sure, but whatever.
>>
>>44111453
What's best in its own genre this year?

Also, what's the best lying/bluffing game this year?
>>
>>44111473
>>44111504
>>44111714
>>44112270

Jesus, is it that hard for people to just NOT bring along someone who doesn't want to be there? My wife doesn't really care about board games, so she doesn't come to board game night or play when we host. The same for 2 other people in the group, I don't get why this is such a hard thing to do.
>>
>>44112888
the answer to both is Fury of Dracula by most peoples reckoning.
>>
>>44112828
The game hasn't started yet, I'm praying it doesn't disband after 3 turns. I'm not even perceiving the particulars, all I read from your post is "I have a shitty group that doesn't want to play good games" which I sympathize with entirely.

Did I tell you my FtF group came to play ADP only once I guaranteed lunch for everyone? That none of them read the rules and expected to just "dive in"?

I want this to be over so bad. Everything is going to be alright now.
>>
>>44112955
I was thinking new, not reprinted, but I do plan to buy that eventually.

>deduction
>theme
>being a magnificent bastard
Fuck yeah.
>>
>>44112888
In Specter Ops's(s) Genre?
Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition.

Best lying/bluffing game this year?
Possibly still Fury of Dracula.
Other than that, there've been a lot of at least decent ones I've played a lot this year.
>Two Rooms and a Boom
>Mafia de Cuba
>One Night Revolution
>Melee
>Coup G54
>>
>>44112979
(FoD 3E is pretty significantly changed from the last edition, I definitely wouldn't consider it a reprint)
>>
>>44112838

>October

I guess because people get in the spirit of things and it was a hot seller?

>>44112868

Makes sense. Too random for folks.

>procedurally generated narrative board games

I like that term. Gotta remember it.
>>
>>44113028
How is it different? Is it worth getting 3e or should I save up for an older version?

Never played either version but I'm aware of the popularity of FoD in general.

Is he furioser in this one? Do you have to chase him along the fury road?
>>
>>44112936

In a perfect world people wouldn't do things they have no interest in, however such a thing does not exist.

>"I'm bored"
>"I want attention"
>"I can't bare to leave my gf/bf"

These are the things that exist.
>>
>>44113129
I've only limited experience with the last edition, but I know the combat system is completely overhauled, instead of dice you're now playing a prediction game similar to rock/paper/scissors But much less retarded than that sounds, there's lots of nuance in the options both in the details of the options themselves and in the greater context of where/when the fight is happening. Is dracula going to attempt to flee? (shoot him in the ass) Will he try to hypnotise me? (punch him in the ass) Or will he go in for the kill with claws/ bite? (shove some garlic up his ass). Anyways, it's really, really good. New map isn't quite as pretty, though.

Consensus is that this is the best edition, mechanically, by a significant margin.

>Chase Dracula on the Fury Road.
Fund it.
>>
>>44112964
>all I read from your post is "I have a shitty group that doesn't want to play good games"
Heh, not really, I'd understand anyone who'd feel skeptical about a game with a Colombian insurgency/counterinsurgency theme. Also the 5+ hours playtime can get in the way, mostly we meet on weekday evenings.

>Did I tell you my FtF group came to play ADP only once I guaranteed lunch for everyone? That none of them read the rules and expected to just "dive in"?
This just sucks to hear man, hope the PBEM group works out.
>>
>>44113140
That comes with maturity, some people just never mature.
>>
>>44112558
I'm sorry, but am I the only person who fucking hates Spyfall? I feel like there's so many better social/deduction games out there.
>>
>>44113720
Like for example? I'm all up for suggestions.
>>
I've been tcontemplating a thread about the Worst Traditional Games Ever and was thinking a nice picture of the Myth boardgame would highlight the thread.

Can anyone think of anything actually worse?

If anything worse even exists.
>>
>>44112888
I'd have to say Coup G54 for best lying/bluffing. It takes the honestly stale and played out meta of Coup and breathes an insane amount of replay ability into it. My favorite card mechanic wise is General, though my favorite games are the ones with Communst, Capitalist, Priest, Judge, and Producer.

I don't think Fury is much of a lying game, because nobody in their right mind would listen to the Dracula player.
>>
>>44113720
Spyfall's redeemed by being almost entirely up to player imagination.
And being free.
spyfall.meteor.com

>>44113737
Depending on how many people you want to play with,
Two Rooms & a Boom
One Night Revolution
Skull
Mafia de Cuba
Coup G54
Mascarade
Redacted
Are all games I'd defend as pretty good.

>>44113825
Games with the communist in it are at least twice as entertaining as those without.
>>
>>44113720
Code names, One Night Werewolf, Coup G54, Skulls. I'd play it over resistance nowadays, but I don't know, something about the random questions to random people just really bugs me.

Maybe I'm just a shitty spy, but it's just not satisfying for me.
>>
>>44113751
worse games exist, see the OP pic.

More disappointing Kickscammers? None that I've been a part of.
>>
>>44113751
I sometimes listen to the Flip the Table podcast, they've played some absolutely wretched games. I'd say Trump the boardgame is pretty terrible from what I heard.
>>
>>44113934
All of those games are more fun to play and had vastly more time and thought put into their rules, even Candy Land.
>>
>>44113955
>Commander in Chief edition soon to be released
>>
I have a "pirated" version of Coup (just DIY with a deck of cards) that I've been playing with my buddies for a while. I think we've played it to death because even Love Letter has taken precedence over it lately.

Would you recommend spicing Coup up with the expansion or G54?
>>
>>44113957

>myth Kickstarter
>get a shit ton of stuff
>broken rule set
>still playable

>rise of the kage
>slightly less for far less stuff
>unbalanced as shit

>that one sci fi Kickstarter with fucking awful miniatures that looked nothing like what was advertised

Sorry to see you have such a hateboner for megacon anon. Meanwhile I love how journeyman is looking and I'll enjoy the shit out of recon whenever it decides to show up
>>
>>44113957
more thought put into rules sure, but more fun? Even for a subjective element that's quite a stretch. Or you haven't actually played any of those other games to completion.
>>
>>44114082
There is no reason to buy the expansion now that G54 is a thing.

I only wish they'd included enough cards to do 10 player games and teams.

Capitalist! Who else claims?

End up losing 6 coin because nobody calls.
>>
>>44114125
>broken rule set
>still playable
Y'know, if you use all the miniatures to just play Candyland, why are you backing up the game? Why say the game is playable when you're playing something entirely different?

I don't give a shit about the components, I like games.

>>44114151
Can't play a game that doesn't exist, anon.
>>
>>44114165
If I buy enough sets of G54 can I break the player limit?
>>
>>44114278
You'd only need a second box, since I think it's just 4each for 7+players. I'm 90% certain that the game isn't balanced around that player count though, so wonky things would happen like capitalists never getting any money, or Priests getting enough money to coup in one turn, etc. I'm sure it would be interesting though, especially with the team rules.
>>
>>44114197
it exists, you just have to either make up some additional rules or ignore things not in the rulebook to play.

Look, I get why you're salty as the sea about this. I backed Myth too, and sold it after 1 play. It was shit, and I doubt the new kickstarter fixed it much. But I'd still rather dick around with Myth than play a full game of Monopoly or Risk, if only because it would finish under 3 hours.

As a side not I'd love some Banner saga miniatures but fuck giving Megacon money ever again.
>>
>>44114197

because I'm creative anon. I can harvest those minis and use them in many different ways. I also don't shit myself in frustration because they neglected the rules for poison. I can just make something logical up and proceed.

The game had issues for sure, but they were incredibly minor for me.

If I paid for shit rules and shit components I'd be angry, but rules are just words easily altered. I can't faq shitty sculpts.

I'd consider a game bad with rules as intended that are shit. A game with missing rules is just broken. The state of it might be shitty but calling it short without playing the final product is silly.
>>
>>44114378
>you just have to either make up some additional rules or ignore things not in the rulebook to play.
>So, you have to make up your own game
>You also have to guess, interpret, and overall imagine what some of the cards mean or do

Accusing me of being salty doesn't defeat my point, hell, it doesn't even scratch it.

The new rules didn't fix it, it's almost playable now, but it's unspeakably boring, with hundreds of repetitive games needed to advance characters, and it still has no good way to make encounters. You still go "I feel like fighting X this time, and this many X too." And dead turns? There are a-many. It's the same as Candyland. >"Oh, nothing to do this turn guys, my character stands there."
>"Oh, go back one yellow space. I stand here."
>"Oh, I landed on my own property again."
Only guess which one takes 2 seconds and which takes minutes?

Those older games were made a long time ago, so I do give them some leeway.

Everything needs perspective.

>>44114509
>You just aren't creative enough to make up a completely separate game for all those mini's, anon.
>"rules are just words easily altered"
>words and rules don't make a game, just components
What the fuck?

>I'd consider a game bad with rules as intended that are shit.
This is you exactly agreeing with me. I'm not talking about the components, they have their own issues but that doesn't effect a game.

Does this mean we are settled? The game is bad and we are agreed?
>>
>>44114569
>responding to the name fag
Just call him out for being a battered housewife and move on.
>>
>>44114569
I don't think anyone is arguing saying it's a good game, they're pointing out that most people would still have more fun with it than monopoly.

But don't let that stop you feeling persecuted for your enlightened opinions.
>>
>>44114569

You sound like you're having a bad day anon. Why? It's Friday.
>>
File: 20101003.gif (115 KB, 540x1085) Image search: [Google]
20101003.gif
115 KB, 540x1085
>>44114689
Actually, it's a pretty great day! I played Battlecon for the first time since I was last in London and it wasn't half-bad. I still enjoy it a lot.

I just think it's bizarre that people don't understand how having good components doesn't meet the definition of Game.
That's like hyping up Football to everyone you meet, saying that owning a Football makes for the best games of Football, but then you actually play Tennis and have never played anything remotely like Football.

I think the troll tried to get both of us though.

There's something to be said about people who are battered housewives to companies, and something to be said about squashing pathetic "salty" accusations as "feeling persecuted"

But I think he missed a little.
>>
>>44114807
>caster supremacy doesn't exist in 3.5
>what about all these examples and thousands of people saying it does?
>we just houserule away all of that and add in hundreds of our own rules
>isn't that so different it's unrecognizable?
>no, dnd is best game
is this what needed to be said about battered housewives?
>>
>>44115309

Caster supremecy only exists because the DM lets it anon.

Like everything else in any tabletop rpg ever.
>>
>>44115660
I agree, and in Myth's case it's not an accurate comparison at all.

One is an RPG, the other is a box of components.

Although it is hilarious that the company fell back on calling it an RPG when they released it without ever making the rules.

That's the level of marketing genius that could sell an empty box to someone.
>>
What are you guys playing on Christmas?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.