[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fantasy Racism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (166 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166 KB, 752x1063
Do you think that fantasy realms have to deal with racism, and if so, what hilarious slurs would certain races be called?
>Wood elves = Tree fuckers
>Humans = Apes
>>
>>44066109
There's a joke here about mermaids being sex-toys for gangs of ravenous sailors, but I'm not clever enough to make it
>>
File: ohboy.jpg (8 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
ohboy.jpg
8 KB, 259x195
>>44066178
Deckfloppers
>>
>>44066109
I think you are being too blunt with these insults.

If you think about it most racial slurs come from appearance.

"Nigger" = Black, "Chink" -> Eyes are narrower, like actual "chinks" in stone or metal.

When you try to make up fantasy slurs make the slur a simple one or two syllable word that describes an aspect of physical appearance that wouldn't normally be considered particularly insulting outside of context.

The hatred and aggression in slurs comes more from the history of their use rather than the word's stand-alone meaning.

Dark elves could be darkies, pig-like orcs could be tuskies or snouts or porkers, etc.
>>
>>44066109
>Do you think that fantasy realms have to deal with racism?
I literally cannot think any that don't.

>what hilarious slurs would certain races be called?
Elves = Knife ear
Orcs = Green skin/Pig head

Things like, it's not hard to find derogatory terms for fantasy races.
>>
File: 5411-14970.gif (63 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
5411-14970.gif
63 KB, 320x240
>>44066109
>Humans = Apes
Disgusting! Downright heresy!
>>
>>44066771
>Elves = Knife ear

How is this an insult? It's some really dumb Dragon's Age logic that just doesn't make sense when you realize just how highly valued knives were.

The elves can just turn around and call humans monkey-eared or straight up monkey-headed without missing a beat, while the human stutters about how elves aren't trustworthy or something and that's why they got knives for ears.
>>
>>44066109
The thing about fantasy racism is that fantasy races aren't like human races - there are actual physiological (and often psychological) differences between different races that dramatically impact how they act and their behavior.

If you took an Asian child but raised it in Nigeria among Nigerians, with no external cultural influences other than Nigerian culture, it would act like and hold the cultural values of Nigerians. If you took a Mexican girl and raised her in Japan among the Japanese with no external cultural influences, she would act like and hold the cultural values of the Japanese.

If you take a troll and raise it among elves, however, it's going to have an extremely difficult, if not downright impossible, time in Elf culture because it is so physiologically and psychologically different at the fundamental level. If you take an Orc and raise it among humans, it will hold many human values but still have Orcish behavioral tendencies like excessive violence because Orcs are naturally very predisposed to violence (though it likely would not have the berserker-like tendencies of "true" Orcs).

Fantasy racism when there are actually different racism is usually at least somewhat correct.
>>
>>44067257
Same reason Nigger and Chink are bad. The words take on a meaning if people THINK it's bad. It's to make people feel like it's shit. Like how redskin is a slur now.
>>
>>44066109
Black humans-niggers
Jewish humans-kikes
Gay humans-fags

I imagine intraracial prejudice would be more pronounced, unless the races like to mingle alot.

Elf-sissy who can't grow a beard, basically gay human
f. Elf-same as real life women, except more pronounced, so feminine it makes your boner bleed, but so female she's literally worthless for anything but eyecandy
Dwarf-halfpint, because they're tiny and alcoholics
Halfling-Quarterpint, because they're basically tiny dwarves who like to sneak around and shit
Drow-nigger sissy
Half ogre/full ogre-basically stereotypical blacks, so ape is appropriate
>>
>>44066109
In DSA Elves call humans Rose Ears, and it isn't necessarily meant to be a nice description.
>>
>>44066109
Humans are clearly omnifuckers or allfuckers.

Seriously there's half- everything and one half is always implied human.
>>
>>44067257
Holy shit, you're still harping on that?
>>
>>44066109
Some might argue that 'halfling' is already pretty shitty of a term.
Elves might make slurs based on the inexperience or impermanence of other races. I've seen a good case made for them calling others 'dust'
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.