[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Promotion from peasantry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: Katana sword.jpg (51 KB, 575x412) Image search: [Google]
Katana sword.jpg
51 KB, 575x412
For your service, peasant spearman, you are promoted. To fit your new station, you are given the honor of a sword. Go down to see the swordsmaster to get accustomed to your new weapon. It is a new blade, recently forged, may you give it an long and illustrious history in the days and battles to come.
>>
File: Jonah-Hill-ok.gif (700 KB, 447x251) Image search: [Google]
Jonah-Hill-ok.gif
700 KB, 447x251
>>44035985
>
>>
File: peasant coming through.jpg (320 KB, 960x895) Image search: [Google]
peasant coming through.jpg
320 KB, 960x895
>>44035985
Sweet! I've always wanted to be a bandit! Now I can go stab that asshole Farmer Kasuke for his grain!
>>
File: guns.jpg (11 KB, 215x271) Image search: [Google]
guns.jpg
11 KB, 215x271
>>44035985
Little did the Knightly gentleman know I had already obtained for mineself a fire-arm of most divine thunderous splendour.

With it I shall crack his pompous armour, and break the heart of his robust steed.
>>
>>44036029
No reason you can not have both. It's not like you could shoot that thing more than once.
>>
>>44036029
But now you could just cut him and his armor with a single vertical slash
>>
File: Sword_of_Mars.jpg (20 KB, 581x313) Image search: [Google]
Sword_of_Mars.jpg
20 KB, 581x313
Sir, I've come with a gift for you.
>>
>>44037158
Are our enemies making armor out of cheese now?
>>
>>44037158
I hear a katana can through a car door.
>>
>>44037248
They could, how many times are they willing to fold it?
>>
>>44036029

Good luck hitting nothing
>>
>>44037289
You can't really fold cheese, it sort of splits...

I suppose you could layer it?
>>
>>44037304
>what is canister shot
>>
>>44036029
>Man gives status and gifts
>I will post about how I murder him

Every fucking thread /tg/, what's the deal? Are there some issues you'd like to talk about?
>>
>>44037381
Oh come on, there's enough discussions about edgelords and the characters thereof that you must know that they're a vocal minority.
>>
>>44037281
cat door maybe
>>
>>44035985
Cool. One question, were using a wakizashi and a firearm common in Ye Olde Japan.
>>
>>44037620
Contrary to bullshit like "The Last Samurai" the Japanese took to firearms like....some analogy I cant think of.
>>
>take spearhead off of shaft
>tie sword to the end of it
BAM, naginata.
>>
>>44037635
Like a Nip to Rice
Like a Chinaman to having a small penis
Like the Japanese to Guns

Seriously though Samurai loved the fucking shit out of guns.

>>44037646
>Using a womans weapon
lmao
>>
>>44035985
Fucking everyone had a sword back when Japanese swords were used in battle. Sword hunting was a thing among farmers. Hideyoshi was the one who banned peasants from owning swords, and soon thereafter he died and Tokugawa Ieyasu took over, and there just wasn't much warring in Japan after that. Your scenario doesn't make any goddamn historical sense.
>>
>>44037635
Only towards the end of the Sengoku period. The entire reason the Meiji Revolution occurred is because Japan hadn't improved their gunpowder weapons for 300 years, or ever since acquiring them, so they were no match against Perry. They were good at using them, but they never made any technological inventions or improvements relating to them. They bought, revere-engineered, and used them, and nothing else, and only for a short period.
>>
>>44038203
I was more saying the whole "guns are disonurabu" isn't exactly accurate where the real history is concerned
>>
File: sword and gun.jpg (73 KB, 218x350) Image search: [Google]
sword and gun.jpg
73 KB, 218x350
>>44038150

fantasy is a thing anon.
>>
>>44035985
Thank you 'milord.
However, I am afraid the sword may not be of much use, I cannot move my left arm due to an injury in the battle, and thus cannot hold the blade properly.
Perhaps there is a way to attach it to my right arm directly.
>>
>>44037655
>Woman's weapon
The Naginata was used by men and women alike. Women liked it because it could be used with minimum leverage in a narrow space, like the halls of a home, to protect such a place while their husband was away. Men liked it because it was a good slashing weapon to be used from horseback. Remember, the Japanese did not have stirrups, so the lance charge was never developed there.

>>44038253
That came about after the Sengoku period. A long time of peace and people developing swordplay, because it was better as a carrying-around weapon than a big fuckoff spear or musket and quick to draw if ambushed by bandits or assassins, lead to them seeing swordplay as supreme. And as guns, unlike every other weapon, including arrows, made all that swordplay pointless, they became seen as dishonourable. Besides, guns were so expensive, only the Shogun's armies could afford them and opposing the Shogun was a HUUUUGE dishonour.

>>44038203
The thing with Japan is that they'll stick with tradition until it's UTTERLY obsolete, then rapidly upgrade and lead the world. After they got European muskets, they improved them so much they were actually BETTER than European guns until flintlocks came along! But then they stagnated, until Perry blew the fucking doors open. They teched up quickly and suddenly were equal players with the USA and the big European powers, even beating one of them in open war! But then they stagnated and got BTFO by the USA. The boomed after the war, becoming the leaders of industry and economic juggernauts... But then stagnated and started to decline, until we see them where they are today: Plasma screens alongside corded phones and VHS players...
>>
>>44035985
My lord is generous beyond my station! I and my descendants shall serve you and yours until the rivers run dry and the stars fall!

>Later

Uhm, by the way..? My lord marshal? Yes, uhm... What does the promotion my lord generously bestowed upon me actually entail?
>>
>>44039008
>And as guns, unlike every other weapon, including arrows, made all that swordplay pointless, they became seen as dishonourable.
Lolwut?
Guns were a tool, yes, and the sword was considered a symbol of station, which was why it was revered.
The whole guns are dishonorable spiel is as much an after the fact creation as the black pajama ninja. Guns were heavily suppressed because only the Shogunate could have firearms in it's armed forces and didn't want a repeat of Sekigahara.
>But then they stagnated, until Perry blew the fucking doors open
There was no reason to make a better gun because no one else had a better gun, or war to drive weapon innovation.
>>
>>44038847

>Injured in left arm
>Amputate right arm and affix the sword to it

.. Carry on, peasant.
>>
>>44038847
>And so begins the journey of the one armed swordsman

Katate-uchi Kenkaku
>>
File: 8a56a0c0[1].jpg (34 KB, 307x400) Image search: [Google]
8a56a0c0[1].jpg
34 KB, 307x400
>>44035985
"Promotion from peasantry"? Don't get ahead of yourself, nobleman.
>>
File: Peasant2.png (431 KB, 421x647) Image search: [Google]
Peasant2.png
431 KB, 421x647
Can't reap them crops with a sword milord.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.