[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any urban fantasy role-playing games about witches?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Charmed-Cast.jpg (984 KB, 4000x3265) Image search: [Google]
Charmed-Cast.jpg
984 KB, 4000x3265
Are there any urban fantasy role-playing games about witches? I mean like TV shows such as Charmed, Witches of East End, The Originals... etc.
>>
>>44033882

First thing that pops to mind is The Dresden Files RPG.
>>
>>44033882

There's that Teenage Witch thing, but I don't think that's supposed to be taken seriously.

You could do a witch-coven themed game in Monsterhearts, using The Witch and maybe the Fae, the Infernal, the Mortal, and/or the Queen. Perhaps the Fury or the Anansi, too.

I can't think of any games built around witches specifically, though.
>>
Just do World of Darkness.You can custom literally everything to fit any show you like, and play with Core rulebook alone. You can add Mage and maybe Hunter books for functional rules and avoid customization.
WoD, any system really, can be used for practically any theme of game, just change descriptive words, keep alterations within similar rule parameters. Generally, make alterations less or equal to the original rule and never more. This is why people say, in a good game, the GM spends 10x more time preparing than playing in-game, even if it's just mentally reforming a book.
>>
>>44033907
>The Dresden Files RPG
That game is terrible, nobody should waste their time with it.

Do what this guy says >>44035974
Or use Unknown Armies, if you want it to be a lot darker. Or pretty much any generic system you like.
>>
>>44035974
Came here to post this. World of Darkness is your friend, OP.
>>
>>44033882
>>44019811
>Harry Potter = Mage.
>Charmed = Second Sight.
>Buffy = HtV
There is also a game called JC. Carella's Witchcraft Works.
>>
>>44036852
>That game is terrible, nobody should waste their time with it.

Depends on your group and play style, but damn - if you use it, be a wizard.

>>Or use Unknown Armies, if you want it to be a lot darker. Or pretty much any generic system you like.

Depends on your flavour of Witch. Unknown Armies is a great character piece of a game, but if you're looking for just witchcraft and wizardy without the mind-fuckery, Unknown Armies is a terrible choice.

WoD is an alright option - but depending on your group you might find it isn't as flexible as what you want.
>>
>The Originals
>Is actually a spin off
Liars
>>
>>44033882
I AM HERE AND I NEEEED TO BE LOVED
JUST
EVERYBODYELSE
DOES
>>
Monsterhearts
>>
>>44033882
Shadowrun. Wouldn't even have to come up with your own setting because teenage witches doing teenage witch things is totally a thing in the Sixth World.
>>
>>44037749
Huh, I always thought it was 'I am human and I need to be loved'
>>
>>44035974

WoD is probably best. Honorable mentions to BtV games, Dresden Files, modern kitbashes of shadowrun, GURPS...

You've got an embarrassment of riches here. There are literally dozens of games that can do this. I suggest WoD since it's got the most background material and is the most flexible. GURPS obviously is the superior system but then you'd build your setting fluff from scratch and it sounds like you don't want that.

Bravo on a good OP pic and reference to a great show. Other sources of inspiration: Forever Knight, The Craft, Cast a Deadly Spell, Charmed, Buffy/Angel, and Lost Girl. Witches of Eastwick.

Damn, the 90s were good years. Hot bisexual wicca chicks weren't just a tv trope. By the mid90s they were goths and into playing RPGs. This was really a thing!
>>
>>44037923
it is
>>
File: Is this peasant serious.jpg (8 KB, 211x193) Image search: [Google]
Is this peasant serious.jpg
8 KB, 211x193
>>44037898
>Depends on your group and play style
Yeah because computer hacking, dragons, and wolverine claws fit right in thematically with a game trying to emulate shows like Charmed.
>>
>>44038965

Not that anon, but you can easily strip that stuff out and just leave the mechanics and spell list.

If I were going to all that trouble, I'd just use GURPS and get a better system to boot, but it IS a viable option.

Agree that WoD is best for this.
>>
>>44038965
you can focus on the witchy elements of the setting. A lot of stuff happens in shadowrun.
>>
>>44039038

Right here. Set it in an arcology, or just in one of the big cities. Your players don't have to be running into Johnsons and insect spirits every time they turn a corner, and if anything it can be refreshing to do a game in a setting like that that focuses on the (relatively) mundane.
>>
>>44033882
Primetime Adventures. Less about witching and more about being a TV show.
>>
Try Kult.
>>
>>44039038
>>44039089

This. A campaign focused around a circle of magicians could be great. People don't do alternate campaign styles as often as they really could in SR. And if you really wanted to strip the tech aspects out, play somewhere with a very Awakened and low-tech focus. Kinshasa, say, or Reykjavik, or maybe Jerusalem, just to pull a couple sprawls out of a hat. Might require a bit of writing-your-own-sprawl shit to do that, though.

As an addendum, I feel like Witch Girls Adventures deserves a mention, despite its targeting a younger cohort.
>>
File: tumblr_muerigc2Ap1qgh3oto1_500.gif (480 KB, 500x188) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_muerigc2Ap1qgh3oto1_500.gif
480 KB, 500x188
>>44038296

>The Craft

yes! This!
>>
>>44039221

Why skip the obvious? Salem, Massachusetts. Or NAwlins, if you want to go a more culturally black route.
>>
File: Witchcraftcover.jpg (45 KB, 347x461) Image search: [Google]
Witchcraftcover.jpg
45 KB, 347x461
>>44033907
>>44033882

The FIRST thing that should pop into mind for elegan/tg/entlemen is CJ Carelli's Witchcraft, which premiered the Unisystem mechanics that the buffy rpg and All Flesh Must Be Eaten later used.
>>
>>44039299
Came here to post this. This guy gets it.
>>
>>44039255

Wouldn't Salem be where the whichhunters are all based?
>>
File: orkmage.jpg (100 KB, 580x1500) Image search: [Google]
orkmage.jpg
100 KB, 580x1500
>>44039089
yeah, you could even do it someplace relatively...RURAL. Small towns do still exist in Shadowrun, despite metahumanity's best efforts. And there are all sorts of awakened critters and sasquatchs and centaurs out there in the wilderness too...maybe communities of HMHVV-infected people hiding out and eating wild beasts and such. Or even just have the PCs being the only Awakened living things in town...feared but respected and occasionally needed by the other townsfolk.
shadowrun's got a lot going on.
>>
>>44040352

Clearly use WoD. It's the best for this. Why screw with SR?
>>
>>44038296

Oh shit, and how could I have forgotten Twin Peaks and the X-Files?
>>
Witch Girls Adventures.
>>
>>44037471
So by this analogy, is Type Moon WoD or Anima? I've heard both.
>>
There's a setting in the Worlds of Fate books about being a suburban witch.
>>
>>44033882
Girl on the right best face.
>>
>>44043841
>So by this analogy, is Type Moon WoD or Anima? I've heard both.
For good reason.

There are two TYPE-MOON versions.

First is Fate/X, which is Anima, what with huge forces of desire and passion crashing against each other.

Second is everything else, which has all the trappings of cWoD including the virulent anti-Science stance and "paradise lost" thematic.

The distinction between Sorcery and True Magic is explained through a mechanism not quite unlike the Technocratic Paradigm, though the world's bias against Magic is far more insidious due to science itself slowly killing off magic by simply existing.

Vampires are extremely Masquerade, except truly ancient ones who're more akin to Earthbound Fallen or nWoD Spirits.

In short: Yes, Nasu is WoD, depending on which Nasu you talk about.
>>
>>44045746
That'd be Rose McGowan, who never had much of a career after Charmed.

Shit, neither did anyone else. Except that Cole guy. He made a pretty cool Doom.
>>
>>44045982

I'd say of the lot, she's had the second best career after Charmed.

She was in the Conan reboot, she did the Grindhouse flicks Planet Terror and Deathproof, even had a part in the Once Upon A Time series.

Julian McMahon definitely wins out though - had Nip/Tuck and the Fantastic Four movies.
>>
C J's Witchcraft.
>>
>>44046266
>Once Upon A Time
Was/is this good? The only reason I even recognize it is because it's "that show with Cameron from House in it."
>>
>>44046471

Eh, I rate it as a meh. It's got a fairly solid fanbase. But you can sum it up as 'All fairytales are true. Go.'
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.