[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some unconventional/entertaining characters you can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: A witch.jpg (157 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
A witch.jpg
157 KB, 500x667
What are some unconventional/entertaining characters you can pull off in pen and paper games?

I like the idea of the White Haired Witch from Pathfinder.

Normally a regular witch can get a hex called prehensile hair, that lets them grow their hair out to a length of 10 feet, and use as a limb that has a strength score equal to her intelligence, does 1d3 damage as a natural weapon and can manipulate items as finely as a hand.

An archetype you can choose for witch is based mostly around this hex, which makes it more powerful doing 1d4 of damage, and whenever the hair strikes you can attempt to grapple a foe with your hair as a free action (technically its not an action at all, and considered to be part of the main attack, but this gives the player the option to use it or not) where you use your int instead of str modified, do not provoke an attack of opportunity and do not gain the grappled condition.
Unlike a normal witch you only have 5 feet of reach at first, rather than 10, but every 4 levels the witch gains the ability to grow her hair another 5 feet until it reaches the maximum of 30 feet at level 20.

I just find the idea of a spell caster using her hair as a strong limb to wrestle people very entertaining.
>>
If it could form multiple limbs at higher levels it would be cool.
>>
>>44012044
At higher levels you gain the ability constrict people you've grappled to do the same damage as your normal hair attack again as a swift actoin, the ability to trip people instead of grappling them with an attack, the ability to pull people closer, then at 8th level anything grappled is automatically strangled, losing the ability to speak or cast spells that require verbal components.
>>
1d4 damage is pretty garbage to rely on as your main form attack. It's an amusing idea, but it seems more like a "last resort" option than something you should be relying on as your main form of attack. Especially considering the low range required and the fact that you're one of the squishiest classes in the game with the lowest hit dice and no armor proficiencies. You REALLY don't want to be in melee range ever if you can help it.
>>
>>44012919
It's 1d4+ your int modifier

And once you get to level 4 it's got a 10 foot range, which becomes 15 at 8, 20 at 12 and so on.

And having what's basically a third arm with strength equal to your intelligence can be useful outside of combat. If it's cut you can grow it back quickly.
>>
>>44013030
I guess... but you're still a squishy d6 Hitpoint class who can't use armor attempting to use melee combat at close range. If anything gets out of your grapple, you're getting beat to a pulp even easier than most wizards.
>>
>>44013107
It still stays whatever range away from you that it was when you grappled it, you're grappling it with the hair, not your body, your body is free to do whatever you want while the hair is occupied. It just ties down an opponent for the rest of your friends to beat on, once you have strangulation on it you can use it to stealthily grab people from afar, gag them and silently pull them your way.
>>
>>44013178
Until they pull out a dagger, cut themselves free, and then come after you while it's re-growing.

Also I feel like trying to grapple larger foes would result in them swinging you around by your head like you're a ragdoll.
>>
Wicked Weave, anyone? I know, Bayonetta is a /v/ thing, but this sort of thing is completely related.
Also, you shouldn't post pics of horned girls on /tg/, people here hate them.
>>
File: Sheeple.jpg (127 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Sheeple.jpg
127 KB, 250x250
>>44013401
>/tg/ hates horny girls

False flag detected.

/pol/ pls
>>
>>44012002
>I just find the idea of a spell caster using her hair as a strong limb to wrestle people very entertaining.

So basically you want to play Medusalith Amaquelin?
>>
>>44012002
>pathfinder

Tiefling Unchained Rogue (Counterfeit Mage/Sanctified Rogue/Eldritch Raider) with the various magic talents, familiar, bookish rogue etc. - basically a stage magician pretending to be a wizard

Tiefling
>Pass for Human (count as human)
>Soulseer (at-will Deathwatch)

Take these traits:
>Pragmatic Activator (Int for UMD instead of Cha)
>Minor Wishcraft (spend a use of an SLA to replicate ANY 0-level spell)
You access Minor Wishcraft via Adopted (Geniekin - ie. Ifrit/Undine/Oread/Sylph)

Take Racial Heritage (Gillmen)

Unchained Rogue (Eldritch Raider/Counterfeit Mage/Sanctified Rogue)

>Lose:
Trapfinding
Trapsense
Rogue Talent (2nd, 4th)
Uncanny Dodge
Improved Uncanny Dodge
>Change
Skill points = 6 + Int mod
Disguise, Perform and Sleight of Hand class skills = Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (History) and Spellcraft class skills
>Gain
+1 Fort, Will
1/2 level to UMD for Scrolls and Wands, Disable Device/Perception vs. Magic Traps
Signature wand (ability to draw it as a free action, use without UMD bypassing all requirements, can change it 1/day)
Detect Magic at will with a caster level equal to Rogue level
Augury 1/day with a caster level equal to Rogue level
Access to two new Rogue talents: Minor Eldritch Magic (2nd Level Sorc/Wiz spell 2/day) and Major Eldritch Magic (3rd Level Sorc/Wiz spell 2/day).

Wands go up to 4th level. So we can grab a Wand of Monstrous Physique II to net Mimicry so that the Rogue is now proficient in all Weapons, Armor and Shields as well as using any spell trigger or spell completion item as if the spell were on its spell list.

For Unchained Rogue, Minor Magic and Major Magic changed to get at-will or scaling number of uses. Toss in Bookish Rogue and a spellbook and you can alter your spell list as you go. And maybe a Familiar to really cement it.
>>
>>44013217
I don't know about the White Haired Witch, but the Prehensile Hair hex specifically calls out that you can't attack the hair directly.
>>
>>44013217
>>44016676
Yeah, that's not how grapple works. White Haired Witch does specifically state as well "The hair cannot be sundered or attacked as a separate creature."

Also, you can use the hair to deliver touch spells, etc. It's a very gimmicky archetype and no, it's not exactly super effective, but it's the kind of thing that can be fun to play if you're not otherwise in a really optimised group.
>>
>>44015738
>Medusalith Amaquelin

is that really her fucking name fucking hell
>>
>>44012002
I really, really don't like the mindset that "unusual character" means "I have prestige class/feat/archetype X".
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.