[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats the best way get players in the mind set for eclipse phase.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: upliftoctopus.jpg (108 KB, 700x423) Image search: [Google]
upliftoctopus.jpg
108 KB, 700x423
whats the best way get players in the mind set for eclipse phase. some are apprehensive of save points and are kinda married to the idea of having a "true" body. I don't know much about the game but I described the idea of an ego as you are a computer program that was born into a meat body
>>
>>44010802
Show them this picture, can i seriously be a gun wielding octopus?
>>
>>44010897
Blasto, the first Hanar Spectre?, With a gun on every tentacle and a lover at every port.
>>
>>44010897
that's how I got my house mate into it. it's the philosophies and economics that's difficult for us to grasp
>>
>>44010802
Just explain to them they people in the future are dumb.
>>
>>44010897

Quad wield SMGs as a space octopus and destroy everything
>>
its fairly easy, actually. When you resleeve, even when you farcast, your mind is copied into the new location gradually. Basically it copies it bit by bit, so that you are still awake and conscious while resleeving.

Its more like a transfer of consciousness than it is making a whole new copy and then deleting the old one.

As for backups, just think of it as your being a clone of the original. The real you is dead, but your here, your a clone, you have to deal with it, and you'd probably still rather live than die. You don't have to buy into the whole posthuman mindset to have fun with it.
>>
>>44011195
Sorry, did you say Quad-Weild? Cause I could have sword you said OCTO-WIELD
>>
>>44010802
>whats the best way get players in the mind set for eclipse phase

Make them browse tumblr for like 10 hours until they become SJWs
>>
>>44011195
Sign me the fuck up.
>>
>>44011229
It seems like it would be hard to move around and position yourself to aim properly with your arms full like that.
>>
File: uplift_gangbangers.jpg (43 KB, 736x462) Image search: [Google]
uplift_gangbangers.jpg
43 KB, 736x462
>>44011195
Octopi are the most gangsta of the uplifts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcWrLJF-Xo
>>
File: 1425265916498.png (138 KB, 1380x762) Image search: [Google]
1425265916498.png
138 KB, 1380x762
>>44011245
>Jovian detected
>>
>>44011303
Uplifts be all like...
>>
>>44011282
Zero-G Nigga!
>>
I still have game tommorrow at 4PM pacific, if you guys want to check it out. We might have a new player, and I might just hand out some pre-gens so we can get started.
>>
the link for my game

https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/35492/eclipse-phase
>>
>>44011433
pre-gen some octoassasins
>>
>>44010802

Have the first game be "solve your own murder".
>>
>>44011474
You're players don't spend 40 character points on augments just so you can murder their morphs the first session.
>>
>>44011229

Sextuple wield is more likely; research has shown that octopi use six tentacles as "arms" and two as "legs"
>>
>>44011505
plus you can only select ambidextrous a max of 5 times...
>>
>>44011501

Obviously. Just have it so that the morph etc they buy at character creation is the replacement and the "first body" is actually just a piece of story.

This lets you introduce them to a) death is not a big deal and b) bodies can be radically different between sleeves.
>>
>>44011377
Octomorphs the type of uplfits that pitch in for the Petal, but will stay sober while you trip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSQ204_dTcw
>>
>>44011453
neat i'd love to play not sure if i can make tomorrow. just dropped a reply on the new players forum
>>
>>44011726
flake
>>
File: 1446831199115.jpg (170 KB, 322x467) Image search: [Google]
1446831199115.jpg
170 KB, 322x467
>>
>>44011861
dang dude I just learned about this like 30 minutes ago
>>
>>44011207
It's like live-migrating a virtual machine. Bodies are just hypervisors with physical I/O.
>>
>>44012101
thought you were someone else. We are all anon, remember?
>>
People have been flaking because they think I'm running a text only game. I'm getting a little buttflustered by it.
>>
I don't try and tell you how to play the game, don't try and tell me how to run mine. I use text because thats what I'm good at. Whats with all the fucking control freaks trying to tell me how to run my game?
>>
File: barsoomians.png (39 KB, 1054x852) Image search: [Google]
barsoomians.png
39 KB, 1054x852
>>44011320
>>
>>44014518
thanks, i needed that one.
>>
>>44011453
>>44012237
>Audio / Visual: Video and Voice
>I use text

It could be that when a game is advertised as voice some people assume that the GM will use voice instead of text. Players tend to have strong preferences in that area. Maybe don't misrepresent your campaign.
>>
>>44011551

Really, they should have avoided the idea that your starting body costs permanent resources.

It's kinda self defeating with thier own economy and game.

A second edition of it would be nice to fix that so that the PCs don't lose points when they egocast.
>>
>>44016629
I agree. My preference is for the players to create their character purely as egos and give them morphs in the first session. Usually it involves them egocasting somewhere and picking from a list of available models.
>>
>>44016732

Some day I'll sit down and tinker with a system where the more connections you have to start, the more you get to spend on the body (With you able to get more by burning favors before the game starts)
>>
>>44016745
What I tend to do, is using the CPs the players spent on their body and their proxies appreciation as a reference to see which kind of morphs they are allowed to choose from.
>>
>>44017045

That works. It's less 'You have this body and this body alone' and more 'You have roughly this much pull with getting bodies'
>>
>>44017060
Well, in my game the proxy is the one with the money. She arranges the missions and all the stuff. One of my players said "She is like a friendly Johnson."

The day they will want to make a mission without their proxy (which will happen at least the day they realize that some shit is wrong), they will have to somehow get everything done themselves.
>>
>>44012148
If they understand this then they most likely have no problems with forking or backups of themselves anyway.
>>
>some are kinda married to the idea of having a "true" body
Kill off their starting morphs in some definitively final way. Like being eaten by a nanoswarm or getting caught in a WMD blast.

Good way to introduce them to the setting and the system, too.
>>
>>44019846
>Good way to introduce them to the setting and the system
Meant to weite "lethality of the setting and the system".

Cause when you're fighting the extinction of humanity, having people chuck fusion bombs at you is just tuesday.
>>
My personal trick to not getting to tied to a body is treating them like a car today. They can be sold, rented, borrowed, altered, customized, abused, everything. Nothing wrong with heavy heavily modded and bio-sculpted body that you're proud of. Just be prepared to lose if doing risky things with it, or if you need to go somewhere off-hab it can be safely stored elsewhere and you can get a rental that suits your tastes.
>>
The promotional materials for the game try to sell resleeving as something you can do dynamically on a whim, your body is a shell change it. But the fluff makes it clear that most of transhumanity can barely afford one body, if that. A new morph is far outside the average transhuman's price range. Even in the Outer System, where goods and services are supposed to be abundant without the Consortium enforcing artificial scarcity, morphs are either level 4 or level 5 favors, meaning only the most popular people can access them.

There is literally nothing wrong with getting attached to your morph, because for most transhumans, it's the only one they'll ever get
>>
so do you have to fucking restat every time you go to a new planet?
>>
>>44022711
It's just swapping out a few attribute modifiers and noting your new traits, yeah?
>>
>>44022711
Yes

It's especially galling because egocasting and space travel both have the same cost, [Expensive], meaning it costs as much to beam your mind as data as it does to ship your whole body
>>
Umph. my head is killing me.
>>
>>44011320
>>44011245
>>44010802
Got to admit despite likely the setting and parts of the system the easy of body swapping turn me off the Game. Just from character and game play angle if nothing else. it's like if dnd have true resurrection as first level spell and still expected to be scared of the dungeon.

>>44011474
>Have the first game be "solve your own murder".

That's a very good idea. I have to steal it.

>>44022599
>>44023580
>There is literally nothing wrong with getting attached to your morph, because for most transhumans, it's the only one they'll ever get

It all sort assumed you won't be playing people but and have ego cast at some point. It's the default for space travel.
>>
>>44026904
>It all sort assumed you won't be playing people

Correct. Eclipse Phase characters aren't people, they're thinking machines deluded into thinking they're people by other thinking machines
>>
>>44022711

The impact of a morph is actually pretty minor; it primarily affects your HP. If you swap into a body with a fuck ton of modifications, then that might have a bit more involved modifications but nothing more challenging than "increase a few numbers".

>>44023580

>egocasting and space travel both have the same cost
Yeah, but egocasting is way faster. So yeah, you can get the slowboat from Luna to Mars but if you've got to do some business in Valles-New Shanghai it makes way more sense to do it TODAY in a rented body, IN PERSON.
>>
>>44028662
>in Person

You mean as a copy of yourself, while you yourself are killed
>>
>>44023580
This is a limitation of the pricing system EP uses more than anything else. Also, egocasting is weirdly expensive.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.