[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flames of War General - Soviet AA Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: FoW tg banner 20.jpg (251 KB, 570x489) Image search: [Google]
FoW tg banner 20.jpg
251 KB, 570x489
Flames of War SCANS database ...Now updated with Great War and Team Yankee!:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current /tg/ fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
http://www.wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

http://www.400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
http://panzerfunk.podbean.com/

https://vimeo.com/128373915

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
http://strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
http://strawpoll.me/4896764
>>
the new PSC A9/A10 hooked me. are they any good?

or better to stick with other brit tanks?
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 900x474) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 900x474
Japanese AA

I wonder how many planes were downed by rifle fire?
>>
>>44010407
Probably at least 1... after flack did a number on it.
>>
>>44010407
The Red Baron himself might have been done in by it.
>>
File: 1385415234940.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1385415234940.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>44010407
better than their dogfighting skills
>>
>>44010598
Ausfag plz
>>
>>44010599
Speaking as a War Thunder Veteran. You only try this once before you realise how stupid it is.
>>
File: 53881006_p4.jpg (411 KB, 1000x1352) Image search: [Google]
53881006_p4.jpg
411 KB, 1000x1352
Is it work using the Warship Artillery option some lists have?

AT6 and FP1 seems tasty, but of course the guns arent on the table for obvious reasons

>>44010710
man I havent played WT in a while. what the hell is my Do217 suppose to do? it turns like whale! My JU88 feels more maneuverable!
>>
>>44011055
>Do217
Fat Heavy Fighter, fight other bombers and drop some bombs of your own. Otherwise eat shit. >JU88
Couple of the flight models have been changed, the Stuka's no longer the most amazing turn fighter in the world.

But I digress.

Warship Artillery is offboard artillery, so long as their spotter is alive you can fire a bombardment. And yes, it is totally worth it nine times out of ten.
>>
File: DSCN5659.jpg (739 KB, 1200x756) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5659.jpg
739 KB, 1200x756
>>44009893
i played a game...

Soviets won....with IS tanks....
>>
>>44009893
>I bet there's krauts up there
>>
File: wouldyouliketoknowmore.jpg (41 KB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
wouldyouliketoknowmore.jpg
41 KB, 640x350
>>44012894
>Soviets won....with IS tanks....

I would like to know more.

>>44012968
>I bet there's krauts up there

Somewhere I have this same thread banner with that quote on it.

Just don't ask me where. My main image folder is a disorganized mess of unsorted pics.
>>
File: DSCN5658.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1458) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5658.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1458
>>44013333
>I would like to know more.

to be honest, IS-85's rape anythign in the german arsenal that's not a big cat...i was not above rolling up and going side-to-sides either.

he made some decisions, i made some decisions...

i was sitting on the objective with a bunch of dead tanks stopped at the other objective
>>
>>44013834
ah cool I was wondering when you were gonna start using that army Bartosz

IS 85's don't count and you know it
>>
>>44009597
>Superglue
>On Plastic

Nigga do you even poly cement?
>>
So, how would you guys go about replicating this on a PSC mini? http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/britain/emhess/hessian.htm

I'm currently thinking really thin strips of paper and a fine mesh backing.
>>
>>44015097
>Not using superglue

You poor poor soul. It's so much easier in the long run you have no idea. Can fix things and swap loadouts as need be.
>>
So that vassal module right?
Well fuck it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=567318993
>>
>>44016449
How far is it into development? How much of it is missing. As far as I know the vassal module was pretty lacking
>>
I'm thinking about expanding my Soviets to Early War.

What's your opinion on the T-26 as a tank in that era?
>>
>>44015097
When I lived with a friend with a garage I used poly cement, but since I have gotten married and live in a smaller apartment. Testors polycement is some noxious shit to be using indoors.
>>
>>44017471
They are rather cheap, and their gun is still effective in EW. They are slow and will still take heavy losses, but it's a cheap way of getting a lot of armor on the battlefield.
>>
>>44017471
Looks boss as fuck, so you should probably get some even if its performance is sub-par
>>44016038
>>44017610
>Not using fantastic smelling Revell contacta with the precision needle
Missin out lads
>>
>>44017826
>Revell contacta with the precision needle
Used that for a while, now switched to UHU plast.
Both are really good plastic cements. Recommend getting some if you're working with plastic kits. THe needle also makes it easy to apply the glue.

Small tip if that needle gets blocked: try heating the metal needle with a match or lighter. That should melt the blockage.
Do be careful with that, though.
>>
File: Topcat_holding_a_ak47.jpg (43 KB, 728x635) Image search: [Google]
Topcat_holding_a_ak47.jpg
43 KB, 728x635
>Its a miraculous wind and rain-free day in the middle of winter
>can finally take all my new shit outside to basecoat it
>can runs out less than halfway through
>>
>>44019087
I know your pain, man.

I sure hope my can of varnish still contains enough to coat the pair of Shilkas I finished today.
>>
File: Lesany_military_muzeum_4101.jpg (916 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
Lesany_military_muzeum_4101.jpg
916 KB, 2272x1704
>>44013910
been using it for a while. it murderfaces anything FA 9 or less. especially since i close to contact and then ROF2 each turn afterward...

oh, how to use IS-2's

>Against Russians or low-smoke armies
>in not....
>You close to contact and then fight from where you parked
>------Veteran--Veteran/Con*--Vet/Con/LR--
>+1--------5+------------6+----------------7-------------
>------Trained---Trained/Con*--Trained/Con/LR--
>+1-------4+ ----------5+------------------6+----------
>these numbers all drop by one once you park and fight.

--get rid of Long Range and lo, your shots get a bit easier, and when they hit, unless it's a KT derivative, it dies.
--terrain is russian smoke, since you give no shit about slowing to 8" movement.
--slow going is god. those hills block LOS mostly, too
--why are you not using Katyusha/ Hvy. Mortars/ Sturmoviks to take out enemy smoke artie?
--you'd be amazed how tanks react when you are in their terrain and closing to 6"....if you set it up right, someone is taking an AP15, FP2 hit that turn to armor 8 or less, and they will likely die.

it's not point-and-click, it's a gamble you have to plan in advance....

successful russian players grow balls, the weak get weeded out....
>>
File: BMP.jpg (203 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
BMP.jpg
203 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>44019628
>successful russian players grow balls
You mean the ones that use correct Russian tactics rather than pissing about pretending they're Germans?
>>
>>44019087
>Its a miraculous wind and rain-free day in the middle of winter
Flooding in all the areas around my house
>>
>>44011055
Not after the nerf, no.

NGFS went from a flavorful but only okay choice to a blatantly overpowered option to something that - at least in my opinion - has been overnerfed to the point of pointlessness.
>>
>>44019087
>wind and rain free
>in the middle of storm Desmond
You're some southern pansy, right?
>>
>>44022249
What was the nerf to it?
>>
>>44023248
Check LFTF and compare to Overlord. Can't remember exactly what the difference is but it's like 6 guns 6/1+ to 4 guns 5/2+ or something?
>>
File: 1444080692967.jpg (29 KB, 342x400) Image search: [Google]
1444080692967.jpg
29 KB, 342x400
>>44021449
...i think you said it pretty plainly...

also, a hint: -most- russian turns play fast: after a quick tactics appraisal: you tidy up, you move, you shoot. shooting is rather dull unless it's a park turn.

assault, when it happens, is fucking thunder. Russian players either forget there is an assault phase or they are leaning on it because 3 units are attacking and the balloon has gone up.
>>
>>44024335
Overlord as three levels:
Destroyer is 4 gun 4/3+ for 150 pts
Light Cruiser is 8 gun 6/1+ for 250 pts
Heavy Cruiser is 12 gun 6/1+ for 300 pts

I'm rather new and do not know what you mean by LFTF.
>>
>>44024733
Lessons from the Front. It's the official FAQ, and it's where the NGFS got nerfed.
>>
>>44024733

LFTF is "Lessons From The Front", the (semi-)live errata document BF keep.

https://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/LessonsFromTheFront.pdf
>>
>>44024743
>>44024764
Ok, thanks. Oh yeah, changing to 5/2+ and 4 guns for the light cruiser and dropping to 4 guns for the heavy cruiser is a pretty huge nerf.
>>
>>44024922
Yeah, but Naval Gunfire pre-nerf was just a little bit too good.

Everyone who could take it was taking it. And it was doing really well at tournaments.

Several smaller US tournaments were even specifically banning Naval Gunfire pre-nerf.

It needed to either have it's points cost increased, its power level dropped, or some other restriction put on it that didn't make it so power that it was a no-brainier choice for the armies that could take it.

Also, it seemed to be a bit historically innacure in-game. Naval Gunfire wouldn't be ranging in on individual infantry platoons, it would be a pre-attack bombardment on enemy positions before the troops stormed the beaches.
>>
>>44026501
To be fair, I think artillery in general is insanely close to the action in FoW; soviet artillery in particular is usually huger bombardments while troops were further away.
>>
Alright /fowg/, battlefront has come to you to make a new "Open Fire" style starter set. You can pick your period and two sides, with the goal of something that will be the most flexible starting point for as many players as possible, so they can really pull people in.

They want
1. A battle people will know
2. 2 forces that match up well
3. Ideally uses existing plastic kits but can have a unit or two that isn't made in plastic if you insist (so for example you could make an early soviet rifle company with zis 2/3's and insist on plastic t26's to go with them
4. 800ish points a side

For example

>NORMANDY
>USA vs Germans
>Germans have the same open fire setup of an infantry company with pak 40's and StuG's
>Americans get a couple of platoons of M4A1 Sherman's with 76mm options and CiC/2iC (8 tanks total) and perhaps a rifle or motorized rifle platoon depending on leftover points.
>>
>>44027191
Are we assuming open fire doesn't exist, or is this "Intro to midwar" or something?
>>
>>44016038
If you do it right the first time you don't need to fix it.

And if you want swappable loadouts just use magnets, don't ghetto it.

Superglue on plastic is goddamn retarded.

>>44017610
>Testors

There's your problem. Good actual products but everything they make fumes to high heaven.

Get Revell contacta professional or the Humbrol clone with the needle applicators; it's the best shit ever; and unless you're literally snorting the needle or dumpling the entire bottle you won't get discernable fumes.
>>
>>44028487
Assume you're replacing/superseding open fire.
>>
File: DSCN5667.jpg (419 KB, 1200x479) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5667.jpg
419 KB, 1200x479
>>44027191
i'll bite

>KURSK!!!!!
>Plastic Stugs (3), PzIV's (5), a Tiger (1), Panther(s) (1-2), w supporting min' Gren' Platoon ....i think.
>Soviets get T-34's (16) and Zis-2's/3's, (4)
>comes with entrenchment card-board, so we can get cheap Dug-in markers/trenchlines

>and all we need is a Plastic Tiger kit...

in other news, i just put on some bedspring armor to my new Hero Tankovy...
FUCK!!!!!

they are good, but be careful how you put those suckers on....they are sturdy, but fiddly.
>>
>>44031513
Going for a rusty look, or are you painting a *literal* Red Army?
>>
>>44026885
Yeah, FoW artillery is very much "rule of cool" and business motivated rather than accurate. They wanted to sell more miniatures, rather than someone just buying the OP team and that's that.

If it were accurate, Soviets would only rarely have an OP, and their artillery would be preparatory bombardments most of the time.
Germans would take forever to range in, and would fire short salvos, but would be very accurate.
And so on...
>>
>>44032222
>and their artillery would be preparatory bombardments most of the time.
Which is boring.
>Germans would take forever
Also boring.

Arty on table adds another level of depth and calculation. This isn't a divisional level game. You can't have a WW2 game without arty, and FoW handles it in a way that has more than enough nods to realism at the same time as it makes an interesting and highly variable tabletop experience.

FoW has been, the entire system, from day 1, about making a fun game, with as much accuracy as you can have without getting problematic. Arty as it is does that excellently, particularly considering the de facto average game, and sliding scale.
>>
File: 1439430931154.jpg (260 KB, 1500x801) Image search: [Google]
1439430931154.jpg
260 KB, 1500x801
>>44031983
primer, you dolt!

BTW: i looked in Osprey's Kursk book and they have a great layout of who had what tanks at Kursk for the germans.

nothing of the sort for the soviets.

anyone know where i can find a soviet vehicle tally by division at Kursk? it's not in osprey. the net gives me articles, not equipment tables/sums.
>>
>>44033708
Soviet documents from WWII tend to be either difficult to find, inaccurately translated, or lost to history.
>>
>>44035344
It doesn't hurt that they've kept a lot of their shit secret even now. Soviet legacy is alive and well in Russian record keeping even now.
>>
>>44027191
Overlord, US vs German. Went to ~920 because fitting enough infantry was hard at 800.

>USA

Medium Tank Company HQ (p.233) - CinC M4 or M4A1 Sherman, 2iC M4 or M4A1 Sherman (165 pts)

Medium Tank Platoon (p.233) - Command M4 or M4A1 Sherman, 2x M4 or M4A1 Sherman (250 pts)

Medium Tank Platoon (p.233) - Command M4 or M4A1 Sherman, 2x M4 or M4A1 Sherman (250 pts)

Parachute Rifle Platoon (only if supporting 2nd Armoured Division) (p.181) - Command Rifle/MG, 6x Rifle/MG, M2 60mm mortar, Bazooka (265 pts)

>German

Compulsory 21. Panzerkompanie HQ (p.53) - CinC Panzer IV H, 2iC Panzer IV H (180 pts)

Compulsory 21. Panzer Platoon (p.53) - Command Panzer IV H, 2x Panzer IV H (270 pts)

Compulsory 21. Panzer Platoon (p.53) - Command Panzer IV H, 2x Panzer IV H (270 pts)

21. Panzergrenadier Platoon (p.63) - Command MG, 6x MG (180 pts)
- Replace Command MG with Command Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)

Both sides are CV, except for the paras who are FV. Tanks are pretty evenly matched, as are the infantry. The germans are pretty straightforward and defensive, while the US needs more finesse and aggression (Read: smokes and stabilizers).
>>
>>44036546
Also, reason for choosing the US forces I did is that you see allied paras and plain Shermans in British lists as well, so the US force could also work as a British one with very little adaptation.
>>
>>44033708
>Kursk

Protip, pretty much all the main units had were 76mm T34's and KV1's, with some su152's as support being pressed into tank hunter roles because they were the only vehicles capable of knocking out tigers and elefants at range. Kursk was at an awkward period for the red army where their tanks weren't necessarily bad, but they were definitely starting to get outclassed by newer German designs. Of course, in the end it didn't matter since the Soviets created one of the most heavily defended lines in history and the Germans were stupid enough to attack it head on, but that's just how the kraut crumbles.

I've also heard of lend lease Churchills, Matilda's, obsolete light tanks like t60's, t70's, and anything else they could get running being thrown into the battle. It was the largest tank battle in history, if the Soviets could strap tracks and a gun to a kitchen sink they would've sent it into battle, that's how big that fight was.

It's a shame how rough Soviet records are though. Especially compared to the other major countries. You kind of have to make educated guesses based off of photographs and fudge the details. Good luck finding even what type of vehicle a unit had, let alone numbers.
>>
>>44033591
>Which is boring.
>Also boring.
Yeah, we know, that's why we said it was rule of cool instead of any practical reason.
>>
File: zvezda.jpg (285 KB, 960x769) Image search: [Google]
zvezda.jpg
285 KB, 960x769
Zvezda's new plastic m3, m3a1, m4a2. I bought all of these instead of 21 SU-76 of battlefront made.
>>
I ordered some test models from QRF for my BAOR.

Good: The FVs and Swingfire are both good models, little more cleaning than I'm used to, but they seem to fit together okay. Detail is quite good.

The Chally 1 on the other hand is more of a mixed bag; detail is high, but the turret has a "lumpy" appearance and the hole for the gun barrel is too small; these might be problems that vanish when it's painted, though.
>>
>>44037623
Way to ignore the majority of my point. And it's particularly asine to attribute it primarily to an attempt to sell more kit.
>>
>>44037654
Amazing! You posses an airbrush I hope?
>>
File: zvezda_m3_lee.jpg (231 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
zvezda_m3_lee.jpg
231 KB, 960x720
I bought these without any useful information, so I leave A short review of zvezda's m3 lee here;

strength;
1. A plastic kit!
2. fits very well and needs no glue, although there are many parts to assemble. I take 20 minutes to build one tank.
3. Turrets rotates smoothly. The turret pins of heir earlier kits were too tight and tends to break.
4. Hull mounted main gun rotates vertically, but do not rotates horizontally.
5. Is very low price and you can take individual tank.
6. The dimension of the tank looks very good.

Weakness
1. No rivets on side and front armour!(very frustrating!)
2. No stowage bins on rear deck.
3. All parts are scale-wise and very thin compared with BF ones, so will be broken if you are not careful.
4. Only provides hull-mounted main guns with muzzle brake, an AT 9 one.
5. Only provides closed cupola, so you will need extra work for exposed tank commander.
6. 23 parts of total for each tank. Enjoying assembly will be a personal favor, though.
7. No decals.

Hope my comments is helpful to you.
>>
Looks like a good kit. I might build some British for my friends and dad to use, since it looks affordable when using these!
>>
>>44017826
>Revell contacta

I have about five tubes stacked ready and waiting because I can never find the damn stuff when I need it. Best stuff I've ever used.
>>
>>44038025
Having seen it in person at my FLGS, I agree pretty much entirely with this anon.

The Zvezda M3 Lee is a solid (but not amazing) kit at a decent price.
A good option if you want a bunch of M3s for your desert war or Eastern Front campaigns without spending a fortune.
In return, you might have to spend some time converting guns or adding commanders (if needed), but that's the price you pay for paying less.
>>
File: oh no a lee.png (101 KB, 124x357) Image search: [Google]
oh no a lee.png
101 KB, 124x357
>>44038025
>>44037654
Holy mother of lend lease!
>>
>>44037654
That's a hell of a lot of Zvezda!

>>44039077
>but that's the price you pay for paying less.

There's something oddly poetic and almost Zen about that sentence.
>>
>>44038025
is that a flash suppressor on the lee barrel?

did they have those?
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 650x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 650x960
>>44037654
>mfw 21 Lees and 10 stuarts is less than 1500 points in MW tankovy.
>>
File: Hungarian M3 Lee.jpg (944 KB, 1063x1612) Image search: [Google]
Hungarian M3 Lee.jpg
944 KB, 1063x1612
>>44039806
>>
>>44037654
You absolute madman.
How much did all that cost?
>>44037669
Skytrex does what looks to be a very nice Chally1 if you need one and are prepared to get raped by the postage costs.
>>
>>44037669
Oh, also, the QRF Swingfire is indeed a Swingfire and not a Striker which is pictured.
>>
So, what I'm thinking for an eventual Soviet group:

1x Command T-72 (5)

5x T-72 (22)
5x T-72 (22)
4x T-72 (17)

4x Shilka (4)

3x gvozdika (5)

2x Hinds (5)

9x BMP-2 + Infantry rabble + SAM and extra BMP-2 (20)

Thoughts?
>>
>>44039943
They didn't. However, some had a large counterweight on the end. Basically a cylindrical cock ring.
>>
>>44042455
Looks cool, but why Shilka and not MTLB with Strela?

Also tanks I would do 2 groups of 7.
>>
>>44042455
Ticks the various boxes, although a unit of 2 Hinds might be a bit vulnerable.
Maybe 2 infantry units to dig in on multiple objectives would be more effective as well.

However, how things work out in TY hasn't been figured out properly yet, so we'll just have to try things to see if they'll work.

>>44042541
I assume he wants Shilkas since they also shoot things that are not up.
And I disagree on the tanks; units of 7 are gonna be fairly unwieldy; I probably won't go over 6 per unit myself.

Speaking of TY, I've heard today that the delivery of some Soviet stuff (including the army deal) has hit a shipping delay, which means at least some stores will not get their Soviets in time for the (now delayed) launch.
Kinda annoying, but whatcha gonna do?
>>
File: IS-3M.jpg (83 KB, 800x582) Image search: [Google]
IS-3M.jpg
83 KB, 800x582
So I've never played or even looked into this game, but am quite familiar with the time period through personal interest, as well as vidya adaptations such as War Thunder, Red Orchestra 2 etc. My question is related to late-war Soviet tanks... how do they perform in this game? Specifically referring to the following:

>T-34-85
>T-44
>IS-2 '44
>IS-3
>Su-100
>ISU-122 or 152

I would be interested to see how they perform, as in the vidya adaptations I've played they are quite competetive against their German counterparts (though the Germans still have a slight edge), and would like to see how it compares in tabletop format.
>>
>>44042600
T-34-85: Great, comes in big blobs, does nothing for 2-3 turns, parks, disintegrates stuff that isn't KTs.
T-44: Not in the game (unless you're using our fan rules)
IS-2: Literal trash.
IS-3: Not in the WW2 game, think some show up in arab-israeli.
Su-100: Expensive, powerful gun, hampered by high point cost and low rate of fire because lolsoviets. One of the few things that can knock out KTs from the front, though.
ISU-122: Probably better than IS-2s due to being marginally cheaper, but probably still a bit of a dud.
ISU-152: Awesome if you've got bunkers, otherwise a relatively decent anti-infantry blob gun.

The T-34-85s are great and a mainstay, though; you'll want a list that gets T-34-76s and -85s as two seperate blobs, though, because the 76s are faster than the 85s.
>>
>>44042497
>cylindrical cockring
They do none-cylindrical cockrings?
Like a triangle one incase you have a toblerone-dong?
>>
>>44042589
Air units look to me to be very deadly, so needs a counter but the ZSU-23-4 only has the 50cm range.
Maybe I am biased.

7 Tanks is unwieldy but you are going to need bigger units to not run away.
>>
>>44042696
Well, it does have an 80cm range against air, thanks to its special rules.

Still, Cobras and Warthogs can still strike from beyond its range.

And I'm thinking that multiple smaller (4-6 tanks) units will still work well for Soviets, since you get a decent amount of mobility by dividing your forces into more places. It's probably a fairly even trade, though.
>>
>>44042668
Expanding on this, Soviets are a rough army on a new player, partly because they come in hordes that're time-consuming to paint, but also because they lack a lot of defensive measures and useful special rules other armies get and have some special rules that're outright penalties. One of the biggest ones for this is Hen-and-Chicks, which means if one of your tanks has moved, their entire group counts as moving, and throws in a bonus +1 penalty to hit (as in, the target number goes up 1) if they've moved. Soviet tempo is thus hard to get right; they will usually do literally or almost nothing while moving, then when parked up in a good spot blow the hell out of things, and it's also inapplicable to other armies, since with most armies you can pin, smoke, and manuever relatively easily. Soviets have a bit of a job doing this.
>>
>>44042600
IS-2s are a bit of a touchy subject around here... Although opinions differ on how they could be made better.

IS-3s never actually saw combat in World War II, and as such are not in the game. They were built and being transferred to the front lines, but didn't make it there before the end of the war. But they did take part in the Soviet victory parade in Berlin. Which was a pretty big Brown Pants moment for the Western Allies who didn't have anything on the same level. Except for possibly the US Pershing.

T-34s, and the various SUs and ISUs are all pretty good in game.

The thing about Soviets tanks though is that they require a bit of extra planning to use effectively. They're not really good at shooting if they've moved, so you kinda need to choose where you're gonna park them so they can slug it out with enemy tanks.
>>
>>44042600
The T-34 is fine, but nothing special. In regular Soviet armies it's gimped by a controversial rule that basically makes it move OR fire, in exchange for being cheap enough to take a horde of them. There are "Hero" armies that remove that rule but jack up the points cost and reduce company size, probably too harshly.

The T-44 isn't in the game, nor should it be.

The IS-2 suffers from the base rules being really hard on guns with a low rate of fire. It's expensive for what it does, and hard to use well. Not sure that the IS-3 made it into the game, since its only contribution to the war was that parade at the end.

The SU-100 is great as long as you don't move it often. The ISUs are alright, but expensive (anything with armor that thick costs a lot of points in this game).

Soviets used to be flat out underpowered, but I'd say it's only the IS-2 and ISU-xxx based armies that have trouble nowadays. More so the IS-2s.
>>
>>44042737

I'm going to test it all out in a few weeks (using my 6mm stuff)

The mobility vs fragility of tank platoons is an interesting mechanic in Flames of War.
>>
>>44042600
The IS-3 is pretty good although outclassed by the T-55 imo
>>
>>44043062
Is3 is just too soft, it should be FA14 minimum imo
>>
>>44042977
To be fair, I've played a few games using 15mm proxies myself, but the Soviet force in those was mostly mech, with only a six-tank unit of T-72s. Still half your points at 50pts.

I did really notice the vulnerability of 2-tank Abrams units in those, though.
However, getting bigger units of those will cost a lot of points very quickly.
That is gonna be a very interesting issue for US players.
>>
Thinking about it, I think, at least as of the core box, you want to defer the first turn as Soviets and try and bait the Abrams into moving. You can take a couple of hits with nice big soviet platoons; the US really can't. If you can cut down that incoming fire, you've gone a long way to evening things out.
>>
>>44037654
They make an m4a2 box?!?!

Are those any good?
>>
>>44043513
It's more like an M4A3 IIRC, but yeah, it's good.
>>
>>44043579
>>44043513
I believe it's the later M4A2 version with the 76mm turret, which had that M4A3-style front hull.
Basically, it's the version that can't be made properly from the PSC kit.
>>
Is battlefront the only option for a 1:100 Luchs? All the pictures I've seen of the sculpt look not so great.
>>
>>44043611
As far as I know the US use of the M4A2 was very small and mostly restricted to 75s in the Pacific? The outward difference between an M4A2 and an M4A3 is very minimal, and that's almost certainly an M4A3 on the box. Wikipedia claims that the M4A2 had "No US Army combat use except for DD conversions for the Omaha landings."
>>
>>44043759
Early M4A2s were very different externally; and are the only type buildable by the PSC kit; the zvezda kit rectifies this.

Also regardless of early/late, the engine deck on an M4A2 is very different to an M4A3.
>>
>>44043759
US Army, yes. The US marines used them a fair bit.
>>
>>44044086
Did they use any 76s though?

>>44044070
>Early M4A2s were very different externally;
It's obviously not an early model though so that's completely irrelevant.

Anyway, the model appears to be an M4A2 76 similar to what the Russians would have used which makes the box art kind of baffling since I can't find any reference to US ETO forces using the M4A2 76? Seems very strange that Zvezda would market the kit as a US tank rather than as a lend lease soviet tank.
>>
>>44042740

They're easier on newbies in a lot of respects though because their tactics tend to be a lot more straightfoward. No fucking about, just ID the weak part of their line and hammer it. Their weaknesses lend themselves towards this, and HnC takes about 3 seconds to work around.

Soviet Tempo is significantly easier than most armies. It's not without it's challenges, but they're one of the easier armies to play as.
>>
>>44044848
Eh; I started with Soviets and I found them kind of a nightmare.
>>
Hey guys, I need some advice here. I'm going to be playing a 1500 point game on Wednesday, and this is the core of my force. I need some tips on what to put into the remaining 350 points that can handle objectives and such.

Market Garden Armoured Recce (11th Armoured Division)

Armoured Recce Squadron HQ (11th Armoured Division) (p.113) - CinC Cromwell IV, 2iC Cromwell IV (145 pts)

Armoured Recce Platoon (11th Armoured Division) (p.114) - Command Cromwell IV, 2x Cromwell IV, Challenger A30 (335 pts)

Armoured Recce Platoon (11th Armoured Division) (p.114) - Command Cromwell IV, 2x Cromwell IV, Challenger A30 (335 pts)

>>
File: image.jpg (870 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
870 KB, 3264x2448
Some buried Panthers for Berlin I've been making from spares out the Panther-Jagdpanther plastic box. Don't let them go to waste!
>>
>>44044942

I started with one flavour of veteran infantry or another. Soviets are a fucking godsend. Reactive, surviveable, killy. They've got a force tiny infantry platoons could never match. There's too many of them defensively, and offensively, you can overwhelm the enemies 1 or 2 platoons with your army. More platoons, more men, more guns. Sort of like Italians, but the individual bits of gear are pretty good.

>>44045018
Are you the anon that had the tank only meta? I hope you are, because that list is going to bounce off dug in infantry. Beyond that, something with recon, maybe somethng for smoke, and something that can dig up infantry better. You should be alright against enemy armour, but Cromwells are the antithesis of digging up infantry.
>>
>>44045018
Get some proper recce, like Universal Carriers.
Also, probably some bombardment tool (25 pounders + AOP work well) for pinning/smoke.
Some infantry to dig in for an effective defensive position (probably in front of the arty) or to assault through bad terrain with would be good as well, like a Lorried Rifle platoon.

To fit all of that in, I'd just drop one of the three tank platoons; all the Cruiser tanks in the world won't do you much good without proper support.
>>
>>44045018
3 platoons of tanks at 1500 seems dumb. You probably need some infantry, recce and indirect fire capabilities but don't have nearly the points for it. I'd drop the third platoon which gives you enough points to add Lorried Rifles, 4 25pdrs with AOP, 4 Stuart Jalopies and a Universal Carrier platoon. 6 platoons and covers all your bases.
>>
>>44045088
I dunno; a couple of tanks with a few extra MGs and they get pinned pretty easily. And there's not a lot they can do to heavy tanks.
>>
>>44045088
>Are you the anon that had the tank only meta?
Yes, though they're actually trying to use some infantry this time.

>>44045097
I had been thinking of dropping one to just three cromwells and then adding a full-size Lorried Rifle platoon, UC or Dingo recce platoon, and a 4-gun 25 pdr battery. Using 3 dingos instead of the 3 UCs would be cheaper and I could probably fit an AOP in, but then my Recce is only CT instead of CV. 4 dingos would be the same as the 3 UCs, with 10 points floating in either case.
>>
>>44044848
Big thing is Soviets are more strategic than they are tactical. You have to know what you're gonna do the entire length of the game on turn 1 and commit to it. Every game I lost with my slavs is because I deviated from my plan I had at the start of the game.

They just don't react well to changes so if you try to play them like Germans you WILL lose. This is hard for new guys to grasp because unless they played infantry imperial guard or something they're used to being able to just react and still win. Playing Soviets means essentially relearning how you play wargames.
>>
>>44045167

Heavy tanks aren't exactly common though, and it's not like the Soviets don't have enough in their arsenal to deal with tanks. Any of the bigger guns, for a start. Arty, close attacks, etc. QoQ covers a multitude of sins.
>>44045352
Except the game length might as well be 3 turns, and each tactical phase is very simple once you've sorted the strategic. And the strategic is seldom that difficult to determine. Maybe a diversion halfway along.
>new guys to grasp
Playing Soviets means applying the fundamentals of what you ought to already have internalised. Even 40k isn't that superficial. And even then, the plan you commited to on turn 1 isn't any worse than playing infantry, where you commit to a plan in deployment and that's basically it for choice.
>>
>>44045352

It's also worth mentioning that most armies tend to be more strategic than tactical if you want to win consistently. And if your tanking, even russians are pretty adaptive. And if you're infantry, attacking is a mugs game because you're very locked in to how you start.
>>
>>44045047

Why didnt you just magnetize the hulls so you can swap them back and forth?

>>44045494
>heavy tanks aren't exactly common
>heavy tanks
>not common

What magical place do you play at and what do I need to do to join. I'm in the American southwest and literally every army I've seen besides mine has be mostly heavy tanks, especially ramagen lists. It's to the point where I've never even seen infantry lists in 6 months, and I'm not even mister Cromwell up above.

>even 40k isn't that superficial

Have you played 40k? Because it is absolutely that superficial. Strategy in that game died a long ass time ago.
>>
>>44045701
>literally every army I've seen besides mine has be mostly heavy tanks, especially ramagen lists.
That sounds awesome. Even Soviets? Are you ass deep in Churchhills? Tiger Swarms?
>whataglorioustimetobealive.jpg
>not seen infantry in 6 months
Ever been tempted to run pioneers or sverrband or something to fuck with everyone?
>40k
Not since 4th. Surely refused flanks and reserves and picking your targets and deep strikes and all that jazz still requires you to think ahead a bit. Terrain stopping firepower and all that.
>>
>>44045701
>Why didnt you just magnetize the hulls
The hull sections dont sit completely flush without glueing the top-half down, its like the lower-hull is ever so slightly twisted or something and its only corrected by glueing on the top and rear plate.
Imo magnetizing them would be an absolute nightmare, itd be a shitload comfier to just drop £20 on another box t.bh
>>
>>44045701
>Why didnt you just magnetize the hulls so you can swap them back and forth?
Have you done that? I'm not the guy with the Pantherturms but my experience with that level of magnetising is that it's just not even remotely worth the effort. You're never going to use more than 3 or so Jagdpanthers and Panthers tend to be limited enough that it's better to buy a spare Panther to get to 3 of each than to fuck about with magnets for hours.
>>
>That sounds awesome. Even Soviets? Are you ass deep in Churchhills? Tiger Swarms?

I've never seen so many king tigers in my life. There was even a guy who ran a lend lease tankovy batallion that was something like

>CiC 76mm infiltrate guy
>10 76mm Sherman's
>10 75mm Sherman's
>4 IS 2's
>some of those little ba64 recon cars

And I was running an assault pancake company. It didn't end well.

>>whataglorioustimetobealive.jpg
>>not seen infantry in 6 months
>Ever been tempted to run pioneers or sverrband or something to fuck with everyone?
I'm putting the finishing touches on my Soviet assault sapper batallion now. As it sits, I can run two 2 platoon strong companies, 6 flamethrower teams (aka something like 50 pioneer smg/panzerfaust/body army armor FT pioneers total) priority Il2's, some katyushas, and am waffling between isu122's and su100's as their backup. It will be maximum fun once I finally get time to go to a tourney.

>>40k
>Not since 4th. Surely refused flanks and reserves and picking your targets and deep strikes and all that jazz still requires you to think ahead a bit. Terrain stopping firepower and all that.

You'd think that, but then you run into an invisibility death star, or there are random objectives that expode, or the objective cards fuck you over, or the opponent brings eldar, and its game over. I can only play it on the most casual level because "competitive" play is a joke. I'd have more strategy playing competitive lottery.
>>
File: 1247791052527.jpg (12 KB, 318x325) Image search: [Google]
1247791052527.jpg
12 KB, 318x325
>>44045956
>not buying all the panthers
>>
>>44045701
>What magical place do you play at and what do I need to do to join.
Yeah, this fits me. Having my T-34-85s bounce off the minimum two KTs apparently everyone brings is always fun.
>>
>>44045737
At least in my neck of the woods it's ass-deep in KTs, sometimes Pershings. Mostly it's KTs, which are as annoying as fuck because FA 15 buys you near immunity to everything, and 40" 2x shots that go straight through does a marvellous job of making sure nothing can flank.
>>
>>44045701
>Why didn't you just magnetize the hulls so you can swap them back and forth?
not that guy, but don't you only really need a max of 3 jagdpanthers?
>>
>>44045701

I'm not fussed on the idea of swapping them in and out. Too fiddly to get it looking good and I'm not short of Panthers.
>>
>>44046271
FA15 doesn't buy you immunity to smoke.
>>
>>44046846
Then we come back to the "Soviets don't get nice things" complaint.
>>
File: Forces.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Forces.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Do I have enough AT?
>>
File: Lend Lease List MW.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lend Lease List MW.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Still obsessing over all the Zvezda plastics. MW lend lease tankovy for the Soviets. Can't believe you can bring 31 tanks with fully equipped heavy mortars and air support for 1750.
>>
>>44045261
I can't decide between the 3 Dingos and the AOP, or the 3 UCs.

The Dingos and AOP give me more accurate and more easily used artillery, and faster recce that's tougher against standard rifle infantry and can possibly do something against enemy AOPs because of their AA MGs. However, the UCs give me tougher recce (impossible to hit beyond 16" and 6s inside that) and pass their E&E checks more easily.
>>
>>44047180
>385pt King Tiger
>in a list that already has three Waffentrager
What a fucking waste of points. You're also at 7 platoons and as an RV infantry list you should probably be aiming for 8 or 9. Cut it, and see if you can't get another two or three useful platoons that won't be easily invalidated by smoke.
>>
On the topic of superheavy lists:

German Panzer Ausbildungs Abteiling 500
Tank Company, from Desperate Measures, page 80

Compulsory Panzer Ausbildungs Abteilung 500 HQ (p.81) - CinC Konigstiger (Porsche) (235 pts)

Compulsory Schwere Panzer Ausbildungs Platoon (p.81) - Command Konigstiger (Porsche), Konigstiger (Porsche) (445 pts)

Compulsory Schwere Panzer Ausbildungs Platoon (p.81) - Command Konigstiger (Porsche), Konigstiger (Porsche) (445 pts)

Leichte Panzer Ausbildungs Platoon (p.81) - Command Panzer III L or M, 3x Panzer III L or M (180 pts)

Panzergrenadier Ausbildungs Platoon (p.82) - Command Panzerfaust SMG, 6x Panzerfaust MG (200 pts)
- Panzerschreck (20 pts)

Panzergrenadier Ausbildungs Platoon (p.82) - Command Panzerfaust SMG, 6x Panzerfaust MG (200 pts)
- Panzerschreck (20 pts)

1745 Points, 5 Platoons
>>
>>44048140
Yeah, this is the kind of list I was talking about >>44046224 that's fucking everywhere in my local. It's that or Desperate Measures Heavies. You can't smoke them because soviets don't get nice things, you've got virtually nothing that can front-pen them and if you do have it it's going to be hitting on sixes, bailing on 1s, so it's going to do jack shit, and meanwhile they can fire from the halt all day every day and just disintegrate a platoon each turn, and if anything even gets close enough to flank it just gets mobbed by fifteen stands of panzerfausts. Pretty much the only thing you can do is shoot artillery and hope it knocks something out with the one hit it's maybe getting.
>>
>>44048321
Not familiar with russkies, do they not get any priority air support? Because that would wreck that force.
>>
>>44048486
There's IL-2s, but they're going to be unreliable artillery at best; side armour 8 vs cannons AT 9 isn't looking rosy and they're only Trained, ranging in on another Trained force. Again, roof's a bit better, but it's still a toss-up, and artillery can do that without paying a premium for being Flying Tank. And that list's not got the 60 point AA guns you can tack on for 12-18 shots of fuck you that also work pretty well against infantry.
>>
>>44048486
>>44048641
Desperate Measures lets you bring the IL-2 Tip 3M with the AT 12 cannons, but yeah it costs nearly 300 points to bring priority.
>>
>>44048486

Doesn't even need to be priority.
>>
>>44048750
Also I'm kind of getting an allergy to everyone going "Just get Desperate Measures!", honestly.

I'm kind of curious how western powers deal with those kinds of lists, but I'm guessing it's going to involve some kind of combo of the words "Smoke", "Good artillery rules", and "Tank destroyer ambush".
>>
>>44046846

Fuck smoke. They only get 2 shots each, and that's assuming they start with LOF. Rush the fuckers. Side armour 8 isn't hard to deal with.

>>44048321
No smoke? No recon?
>>
>>44048857
Recce yes, smoke no.

Potentially infiltrators, I guess.
>>
>>44048819
Infantry fucks em up pretty good, especially since dm king tigers don't get ace skills and don't have always defend like ramagem books have
>>
>>44048991
A good suggestion, but soviet infantry don't get much antitank, and also fuuuuuuck painting a soviet infantry battalion.
>>
>>44049044
DM Soviet infantry does
>>
>>44049044
Hero Strelk from Berlin get panzerfausts out the ass and are compact for sovjets
>>
>>44049044

They have sappers even outside the faustnika that's everywhere these days. Combined with Soviet morale, that's enough to wreck tanks close up.
>>
>>44049096
>>44049121
Similarly, Vistula-Oder Strelkovy from Berlin Digital are Red Bear Strelkovy with panzerfausts, 160mm mortars, and so on.
>>
I am getting a really sense of what people mean when they say Soviets "used to be" underpowered. I think I'm still playing with the "used to be" lists...
>>
File: red army palpatine.jpg (60 KB, 736x1031) Image search: [Google]
red army palpatine.jpg
60 KB, 736x1031
>>44049044

Yes. Let the paint flow through you.
>>
>>44049278

Don't buy it. There's a broad streak of chronic whiners in the Soviet player community, and the recent changes have been banging them over the head so hard that even they can't continue on with their victim complex anymore. So they've changed the goalposts a bit and now the Soviets 'used' to be underpowered.

They were always viable, they were always damn competive. They're just only now having to acknowledge that.

Just try harder, don't play them like they're Germans, and you'll do fine.
>>
>>44049332
Soviets were never competitive.
>>
>>44042061
I am a sane man, and those 78(22 M3A1's, 22 M4A2's, and 34 M3 lee's) tanks cost about $270.
Well, I might be an insane man after build all of these...:)

>>44043513
I had a quick build of a tank, and as usual it has own good and bad aspect.

the good.
1. its size is almost same with BF ones,
2. the kit fits very well without glue, and its turret rotates smoothly while do not pulls out easily. Also much less numbers of part compared with BF ones(although BF things provides numbers of parts for options in game)
3. have details on wheels on inside(while BF ones are not)
4. cheap. yes, cheap.
5. The only available plastic kit for M4A2 76mm.

the bad
1. do not provides 50.Cal AA MG
2. only provides closed cupola
3. I cannot find no more bad aspect on it....
>>
>>44050467
You're back already?
>>
>>44050467
What in the world are you responding to? Did I miss something?
>>
>>44050487
Clearly the day bans aren't getting to this idiot's head
Why the mods didn't do something the third round of his shitposting I don't know
>>
>>44050593
Yeah, but why our thread though?

We've certainly had worse, the hard-core hentai guy comes to mind, but it always seems to be us...
>>
Anyone have both the Zvezda and Battlefront Dingos and able to take a comparison picture, or at least tell me the differences? The LGS has a blister of the BF ones and a single Zvezda one, so I'm tempted to buy both to get a full group of 4.
>>
>>44050935
They must be hitting up every thread. It's actually kind of funny reading it in this thread.
>>
Throwing a shot in the dark out here since i found absolutely nothing on the wwpd and dakkadakka player finders.

I'm working in the copper mountain Colorado area and looking for people to play against around here. Anyone know of a store or group nearby? Closest I can find is Denver and that drive is a bitch when it snows.

Figured the odds are pretty damn low but it was worth a shot
>>
File: DSCN5011.jpg (266 KB, 1000x530) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5011.jpg
266 KB, 1000x530
>>44042668
my version:

T-34-85: this is the tank. it's softer, but it comes by the sackfull
T-44: a very good tank, would play it, but it's a Mid-War Monster
IS-2: Difficult to use. you have to use the precise tactics at the right time.
IS-3: The God Emperor of Soviet WWII era tanks. and absent from FoW...
i would play a heavy guards company of these without thinking
Su-100: treat it like a AT gun on tracks, treat it like awkward layout
ISU-122: hampered by the inability to respond to threats (turret) use these like a hammer
ISU-152: see above, but due to lower AT and Bunker Buster rule, not as good.
use this against Fortified Companies, watch them cry...

would love to have T-44's and IS-3's in the game....
>>
Hey, total newb here. I really want to play Black Devils, what is the right book for that? Road to Rome or Dogs & Devils?
>>
Fine, I see how it is. I ask a question about FSSF and everyone goes silent, and I wake up tomorrow with my best friend's throat slit in the trench next to me.
>>
>>44051331
I could be wrong, but I believe Road to Rome is the newest of the Italy books. So check there first.
>>
>>44052252
It's late night/early morning in most of Europe and North America. It's kind of our slow hours.

Hell, I was just about to call it a night myself.
>>
>>44052261
Thanks dude!
>>
>>44052290
It's almost midnight here, but I figured I could catch a NEET with knowledge if I was lucky
>>
How do you all paint kill rings in 15mm? Not a technique I am used to at this scale, want to decorate an AA gun.
>>
File: t72a.jpg (501 KB, 810x1205) Image search: [Google]
t72a.jpg
501 KB, 810x1205
Did anyone else notice Khurasan jump in on the Team Yankee bandwagon? They have had 1970's stuff for a while now, but it looks like there's a new line coming out. Infantry are next or something.
>>
>>44052982
I did indeed, and the T72 looks r8 nice. But I'm not sure I can cope with the additional wallet-damage the P&P would cause so I'll probably stick with BF
>>
>>44052468
Could always use painters tape or some other tape that won't absorb the paint.

I personally just have really steady hands and am REALLY careful
>>
>>44054719
>>44052468
I've tried using tape before, it's very difficult to get it tight enough for it work well as a mask around something as thin as a gun barrel.
I'd also look around and see if you can find anywhere that sells them as a decal like the ones I used on my Emil.
>>
>>44054754
perhaps that putty technique people use for hard edge camo could work?
>>
>>44048321
>You can't smoke them because soviets don't get nice things
Don't play Soviets in a meta full of King Tigers, duh.
>>
>>44054788
Possibly, but youd have to roll some thin-ass sausages to get nice lines.
>>
>>44051131
>>IS-3: The God Emperor of Soviet WWII era tanks. and absent from FoW...
Bollocks. You can run as many as 31 of them [censor]as Egyptians[/censor]
>>
>>44054822
Full communism best communism.
>>
How're hero lists..? I'm interested in the soviets, but the amount of stuff I'd need to paint is a bit intimidating.
>>
>>44055169
Hero infantry can be quite good, since passing skill tests as veterans is quite useful for them.
You can still get quite a decent number of teams into each unit as well.

The hero tank lists have a bit of a reputation for being very difficult to play at best.
Small platoon sizes that are still hit as trained plus a lack of smoke makes it very hard to run them effectively.
>>
Does anyone have the revised Grey Wolf? The one in the scans database is the old version
>>
I need a 1500 points full retard German list for at Christmas event, any ideas?
>>
>>44056305
Volksturm company.
>>
>>44056305
full-Jagdtiger schwerepanzerjaegerkompanie from NUTS
No infantry
No anti-air
Only jagdtigers
Ardennes destination
>>
>>44052982
I thought they've had an M1A1 for a while now.

But their T-72 might be new.
>>
>>44056305
Early, mid, or late war?

You could always go for the Late War all-88s list, Kampfgruppe Von Swoboda.
>>
File: FlaK37s for everyone.png (34 KB, 738x626) Image search: [Google]
FlaK37s for everyone.png
34 KB, 738x626
>>44058559
You can get even more 88s with Nachtjager trainyard crazyness.
>>
>>44047284
>P39 Cobra
But why?
>>
>>44058929
What's wrong with the P39?

The Russians had a ton of them from Lend Lease and they seemed to do pretty well.
>>
>>44058929
Mainly because it's a lend lease plane. Also it has FP 2+ bombs and an AT 9 cannon, and you don't have to pay for flying tank.
>>
>>44056305
Ask if you can run a support company, and if so do an Armoured Train Support Company.
>>
>>44056305
Always good to have a train under the Christmas tree:

Compulsory Grenadier Company HQ (p.27) - CinC SMG, 2iC SMG (45 pts)
- Upgrade CinC SMG to CinC Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)
- Upgrade 2iC SMG to 2iC Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)

Compulsory Grenadier Platoon (p.27) - Command Rifle/MG, 6x Rifle/MG (155 pts)
- Replace Command Rifle/MG with Command Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)

Compulsory Grenadier Platoon (p.27) - Command Rifle/MG, 6x Rifle/MG (155 pts)
- Replace Command Rifle/MG with Command Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)

Armored Train (p.122) - Locomotive, Infantry Car, Command MG, 6x MG, 2x Artillery Car, 2x Anti-aircraft Car (485 pts)
- Command Panzer 38(t), Panzer 38(t) (75 pts)
- 2x Tank-hunter Car (70 pts)
- Staff Car (only if have Locomotive) (15 pts)
- 2x Replace 2cm FlaK38 gun (V) with 3.7cm FlaK43 (only if have Locomotive) (10 pts)

Field Strongpoint (p.148) (Compulsory if any fortifications are used) - 2x HMG Nest, 3x Trench Line (85 pts)
- 7.5cm PaK40 Pillbox (115 pts)
- Replace HMG Nest with HMG Pillbox (35 pts)
- Replace HMG Nest with 2cm FlaK38 Nest (-10 pts)

Field Strongpoint (p.148) (Compulsory if any fortifications are used) - 2x HMG Nest, 3x Trench Line (85 pts)
- 7.5cm PaK40 Pillbox (115 pts)
- Replace HMG Nest with HMG Pillbox (35 pts)
- Replace HMG Nest with 2cm FlaK38 Nest (-10 pts)
>>
File: BMP-1.jpg (54 KB, 570x359) Image search: [Google]
BMP-1.jpg
54 KB, 570x359
>>44059869
>>
>>44058965
>>44059038

I think that the Chaika with the rockets is the superior tank hunter, statistically. Especially other heavy tanks can be a chore when playing soviets (or facing them KVs).

Secondly, it has been removed from the arsenal so you can't take it even if you like to. Phil said it was an air superiority fighter and including it was a mistake.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/Mid-war/Mid-War-Arsenals-V3.pdf
>>
>>44061619
>http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/Mid-war/Mid-War-Arsenals-V3.pdf

You just had to ruin my fun.

I guess that is a good point about the P-39. The Soviets were mainly supplied with HE shells, limiting the effectiveness of the 37 mm against ground targets. At low altitude and high speed, the Soviet pilots were able to outmaneuver BF-109s. Still surprises me how they were able to do it. The P-39 is not easy to fly in simulators.
>>
>>44058559
it's late war, but I don't have that many 88s
>>
>>44056305
DM schwere panzerabteilung 500

Aka full retard Porsche king tigers

If I remember right the 6 Porsche king tigers come out to right at 1500.

Alternatively, run a 78 sturmkompanie and take all the fucking pak 40's your heart could desire, including combat attached ones to a grenadier squad
>>
What are some good places to get paints for the models? Noob guide didn't mention any, unless they come with Open Fire?
>>
>>44064468
I personally recommend Vallejo paints, which are sold in most proper miniature games stores and some model shops.
They offer a wide range of colours (including matching arbrush-ready variants) suitable for not just your typical bright colours but many actual camo tones.
In many cases, you can actually get the colours you need for uniforms, equipment and vehicles as a specific product, with no mixing etc. required.

There's also Battlefront's new Colours of War paints range, which is pretty good by all accounts.
They also have several paint sets which contain the appropriate colours for a certain nation's equipment, plus a core set which contains the much-used ones like black, metalic and certain brown and khaki tones.
There are similar sets from Vallejo as well.

Citadel stuff (Games Workshop) is expensive (relative to other manufacturers), but their washes and some of the effects stuff is still top-notch.
>>
>>44064612
I should still have some Citadel paints lying around, although I'm not sure how many of them have camo tones for the armies in the Open Fire kit.

After trying to get into 40k, Battlefront stuff looks dirt cheap compared to GW prices. Makes me wonder how that company even stays afloat. Thanks for the advice anyhow.
>>
>>44064662
>Citadel pricing
They stay afloat largely from licensing their settings and the yearly price hikes.

In the 15mm WW2 market, there is actual competition since you can't exactly copyright historical uniforms and vehicle designs.
That automatically helps keep the prices down.
Battlefront themselves offer one of the biggest ranges with some pretty high quality, especially on the more recent stuff. Because of that, they're one of the more pricy suppliers in the market as well, although still not ridiculously so.
Also take a look at the Plastic Soldier Company for some slightly cheaper alternatives (although some of their older stuff is a bit wonky) or Zvezda if you wanna go really cheap (or something like the T-26 horde, where buying in metal/resin kits is kinda unreasonable).
>>
>>44064612
Not him, but what about Testors? They're all my local shop has in stock, though obviously I can order others over the net.
>>
>>44061747
It is not that the P39 was great. It is that Lavochkings and Yakovles stuff was dangerous to fly. Also the American electronics and manufactoring techniques were usually superior to Soviet at the time. Aircraft are pretty sensitive and advanced vechicles and because of the rough conditions for soviet industry, there were many deadly accidents with homemade gear. The Germans had this problem later on aswell. So I guess some pilots prefered american made and if they had political clout like som of the decorated soviet aces did, they got what they wanted.
>>
>>44064893
The biggest problem with Testors is their color selection (or lack there of). What forces are you building? I would recommend you order some basic colors from battlefront or vallejo. Get a color for uniforms, a color for helmet, black or a leather color for boots and kit, a color for gun stocks, tank camo, and finally some gunmetal grey.

>>44065057
The P-39 wasn't a very safe plane either. Due to the weight distribution it can fall into a terrible flat spin when it stalls. I think it had to have some advantages in low altitude combat. That and the Soviets needed every plane they could get.
>>
>>44065455
British, 11th armored division post-overlord. Is the lack of good color selection because most of their paints are enamel?
>>
What's the best army for a first-timer anyway? The noob guide leads me to believe either German or British but I'm not sure.
>>
>>44065660

Any of the big 4 would be fine. They've all got plenty of variety, and their own character.
>>
>>44065523
On my phone. The previous post was me.

Testors has color selections for a broad range of models. I own some for other modeling I do.

However battlefront partnered with Vallejo for quite a while before starting it's own paint series. So either of those brands will have specific colors you can use on your models without the need to mix (US olive drab, british khaki). The books are a good resource for finiding what colors you need.
>>
>>44065660
As someone who started with strelkovy my advice would be:

1) Choose a force you are really interested in. This is why we get into the hobby right?

2) If you can, start with a armored or FV infantry list. (Less models to paint.)

3) Read over the rules and the special rules for the different nations.
>>
>>44065812
>or FV infantry list.
Not by much, and that's a fairly extreme way to start. FV's have their own challenges, and it's better to get used to a more middle of the road force rather than an outlyer.
>>
>>44065957
What would you suggest instead? what is an FV infantry group anyway
>>
>>44066115
Fearless Veterans. Unlikely to break, hard to keep pinned, and have the neat effect of being able to keep their heads down and become unhittable at range/to soviets (4+ tohit base, 5+ for cover, 6 for gone-to-ground, unhittable at long range/hen-and-chicks).
>>
>>44066183
One of the knock-ons of this is that infantry companies with towed AT guns will murder tank-heavy lists and that don't bring adequate support (which is common rookie error); if you can't hit them at range, you have to drive up into infantry AT gun range where they can unload on you at short range from the halt. And as infantry will usually be on the defence, they can wait things out and you can't.
>>
>>44066115
FV is referring to the motivation and skill level of the troops. It's generally abbreviated M/S or MS, where M is the motivation and S is the skill.

Motivation:
Reluctant (R) - Very shaky morale, quite likely to flee or not get back in their tanks.
Confident (C) - Average morale, equally likely to run or fight.
Fearless (F) - Exceptional morale, more likely to stick it out than run.

Skill:
Conscript (C) - Barely any training, have a hard time digging foxholes, getting unstuck, or avoiding fire.
Trained (T) - Average training, average results.
Veteran (V) - Extensive training or combat experience, very skilled at not getting shot and getting stuff done.

So FV is Fearless Veteran, elite ground troops that are very good at what they do and very unlikely to quit. Paratroopers, special operations, etc...
>>
>>44066115
CT or CV (Confident Trained/Veteran) are a good balance.

In Flames of War, lists are divided into 3 catagories. Infantry, Mechanised, Tanks. And Fortified, but they're not that common. In defensive battle scenarios, tanks attack mech attack infantry.

Infantry lists give you excellent resiliance, and a good range of capabilities. Plus I think it gives a truer WW2 experience.

In a CV or CT list you could easily fit in a few platoons of shitkickers, some HMGs and mortars, some arty, maybe some specialist infantry like pioneers, and ideally some recon or artillery support.

As anon's pointed out, it's a pain in the ass to even hit/range in on infantry that don't want to be hit, let alone actually removing them.
>>
File: document(3).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
document(3).pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44066354

Here's an example CV German list, from the Late War period. As you can see, Infantry can take quite a bit of kit. Tanks tend to be forced to be a bit more economical. But of course, you get tanks.
>>
>>44066288

Some examples;
Reluctant: Italians regulars. French reservists.
Confident: German Grenadiers. American infantry. British Riflemen.
Fearless: British Paras. Most SS. Fallschirmjager. Most Soviets, and Late War Soviet Guards.

Conscript: Non Guards soviet troops, pre-late war. Some Italians, some Romanians.
Trained: Regular Americans. LW Soviets. EW British and German infantry.
Veteran: Commandoes and Paras. A great variety of American German and British lists. Soviet Assault Engineers.
>>
>>44066528

It's also worth mentioning that various national special rules can affect things a lot. British get a rule called British Bulldog, in assaults, which allows them to reroll motivation. So even if they're only confident for routing, or unpinning from artillery, in close action, you really need to put in the effort to uproot them, or repulse them. Germans have a rule called Mission Tactics, which makes dead command teams respawn in place of another team. Germans are almost never paralysed for lack of low level leadership. The Americans have Time on Target bombardments. Even if a lot of their arty is only Trained, it can really sting. British conversely, have the Mike Target rule, which helps in repeat bombardments. Their initial bombardments might be unremarkable, but even unremarkable british artillery can bring a lot of pain if you let them find their pace. Soviets have Commisars. Generally speaking, any plan that relies on Soviet Infantry to fail morale, is probably an unreliable one.
>>
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Now I just hope I can find people to play against.
>>
>>44066905

Where do you live? I would look for a local gaming store near you. If they sell FoW, then you are set. If not, you still may want to ask around.

Here are some online resources:

http://network.wwpd.net/playerfinder.php#

http://www.dakkadakka.com/core/player_finder.jsp

If you still can't find a store or another player nearby, you can always see if you can rope a friend into playing. The Open Fire box will you you a good place to start for a decent price. You get some US Airborne infantry, some tanks, german grenadiers, pak 40s, and some Stug assault guns.
>>
>>44067106
>Live in Western Australia
>Literally no players on player finder, no store events, no wargaming societies support FoW

I have 2 friends who play super casual lists that make me play super casual if I want games. This is suffering.
>>
>>44067106
>go home to check these sites out on my computer
>computer's hard drive decides to corrupt and lock me out
>now I have to get a computer engineer friend to look at it this weekend
fuck my life
>>
File: stillnotsurehowIwanttobasethis.jpg (346 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
stillnotsurehowIwanttobasethis.jpg
346 KB, 800x600
The 8cm was a pretty gun.
>>
File: 20151209_125556_HDR-picsay.jpg (192 KB, 690x742) Image search: [Google]
20151209_125556_HDR-picsay.jpg
192 KB, 690x742
Almost done, 3 more left.
>>
>>44068509
what are you doing?
>>
>>44068731
I think its an elaborate form of self flagellation
>>
>>44064662
>Makes me wonder how that company even stays afloat.

Rampant fanboyism and all the Vidya game money.

Plus the constant price increases that the fanboys continue to pay.

Because two '50s-style robots and their cyborg handler is really worth $69 US...

>>44066115
>What is an FV infantry group anyway?

Fearless Veteran infantry. Hard as nails. They're hard for the enemy to hit, and
stay in the fight when they do get hit.

>>44068509
>Almost done, 3 more left.

Impressive. Most impressive.
>>
>>44068809
>Because two '50s-style robots and their cyborg handler is really worth $69 US...
Oh, sweet summer child. Never come to Australia.
>>
>>44068844
Let me guess... $90 AUS? $100 AUS?

And the sad thing is, the one army that would tempt me back into buying GW stuff *IS* Adeptus Mechanicus, but it's just too damn expensive.
>>
>>44069017
118 pacific pesos. And that's a pretty typical price from BEFORE our currency devalued against the Greenback again.
>>
>>44069075
I feel sorry for you guys down there. Those kind of prices are absolutely ridiculous.

Also I forgot to ask>>44068509, where did you get all that Zvezda? I've been trying to find some M109 Paladins, but they seem to be out of production. Or at least difficult to find in the US.
>>
>>44069393
Sorry for my experience might not be helpful, as I live in Korea.
I placed an import order to a company importing and wholesaling plastic models kits, promised I will buy at least half items of each carton box and pre-paid for it.
>>
File: chibi krauten.jpg (795 KB, 2398x3000) Image search: [Google]
chibi krauten.jpg
795 KB, 2398x3000
>>44070113
>+1 Korea!

we are truly the worldwide thread!
>>
>>44068509
Damn son
>>
>>44064662
Citadel paints are ok for some things (tool handles and other shit you want to stand out) but they have very strong pigments which don't scale all that well to 15mm. Their washes are fast-drying but still very useful though
>>44070113
>korea
Are you the guy who painted the grey/dunkelgelb E-100 a while back and recently posted an M113 in SK camo?
>>
Looks like the first people are starting to get their Team Yankee rulebooks and US army deals delivered.

My LGS is supposed to get their US stuff plus demo kit in tomorrow, with the Soviet stuff (and following releases) shipped to their distributor on friday; that probably means they show up early next week at the store.
>>
>>44070113
>Sorry for my experience might not be helpful, as I live in Korea.

Thank you anyway.

The question still stands though, any recommendations for a good place for people in the US to buy Zvezda stuff?

Normally I'd recommend The War Store myself, but they don't seem to carry the specific thing I'm looking for.

>>44073050
I'm supposed to be picking mine up from my FLGS on Saturday.
>>
>>44073121
Same; weekend drop here, apparently!
>>
So I'm to get a TY demo kit to paint up.
Anyone know what's in it?
>>
>>44075455
2 Abrams, 1 Cobra, 3 T-72, 1 Hind.

I'll probably get to start work on one as well, if my FLGS gets its shipment in tomorrow as expected.
>>
So, if you could get one fully-painted 1500-point Mid-War army delivered to you tomorrow, exactly the way you'd want it, what would you want?

Personally, I'd probably like one of those British Lend-Lease tank forces with a mix of Stuarts and Lees, plus various support elements like some recce, motor infantry and artillery.
>>
>>44077527
Depending on what fits in at 1500 points, probably some kind of US tank force.

Stuarts and Shermans with Armored Rifles.
>>
Don't die on me, general!
>>
I'm hearing the Russian breakthrough force is going to be a week behind the NATO one. Any accuracy there? AFAIK, they were both meant to be delayed to this weekend...
>>
>>44079267
I know my FLGS probably has the books, US starters and demo kit arriving tomorrow from their distributor.

According to BF, the Soviet starters and the next set of releases will be shipped from their UK warehouse on Friday if all goes well.

However, this weekend was meant to be the official release moment.
>>
>>44079267
I've been hearing the same rumors from several sources, but that might just be an Internet Echo Chamber.

I haven't seen anything official from Battlefront yet.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that BF missed even their late deadline...
>>
>>44077527
Soviet infantry horde, so that I had the option to run various soviet infantry lists across the different periods.
>>
>>44079324
This debacle and the recent spate of backorders, even before the sale, is making me wonder what the hell's going on. I used to think BF were a reliable company but the FLGS has said they've had issues with supply for months now. Is something fuckity at BF?
>>
>>44079459
From what I can see through my FLGS, supply issues are mostly gone in the last few months, with the exception of some especially niche sets.
Which makes sense, since BF run one of the most massive ranges of miniatures in the industry. You can't realistically expect them to have all items in stock at all times.
Sometimes, it's recent plastic kits as well; in that case, it's probably because they sold out before they could finish a new production run.

With TY, there have been two separate issues that we know of.
The first is that one of their casting machines malfunctioned, creating a significant delay on the BMP kits and the addon sprue for the M901/M163.
The second was an issue with the mold for the T-72. This needed to be reworked, leading to another delay. News about this came up very late, likely because they tried to catch up in time. This problem chained into another one when the shipment of T-72s was delayed by customs. That's the one the recent discussion is mostly about.
>>
>>44079459
>I used to think BF were a reliable company
You used to be a naive idiot, apparently.
>>
>>44076307
Cool! Let's trade pics!
>>
>>44079459
Production and shipping delays are inevitable. They did one hell of a job attempting to still release on their scheduled release date.

But these things happen, and at least they're keeping us informed.

It also probably doesn't help that they're located in New Zealand, which is probably the furthest away from their core markets (Europe and North America) as they can be.

Shipping from New Zealand must be a nightmare for them.
>>
>>44079901
Technically, much of their products are shipped from Malaysia, where they have their factory.
>>
>>44068509
Are you making the entire Eighth Army? Who needs that many?
>>
>>44077527
Some huge force of RC troops that's entirely made of stuff still usable late-war (ie: infantry)

More seriously and less exploitative, a mid-war north african brit force.
>>
>>44080005
Russians
>>
>>44080005
See: >>44047284

It's a single 1750pt list.
>>
>>44079459
This has going on for over a year. Battlefront is notorious for slipups, missed deadlines, completely missing product, and models that are out of stock for months at a time.

My assault pancake army for example took 6 MONTHS to get to me
>>
>>44070406

We even have turks apparently. They have a painting service and everything.

http://unimogtr.com
>>
>>44080483
Makes one wonder if the warehouse staff get paid to play cards, just so they don't find a new job.
>>
>>44070406
Kraut with asian eyes, my sides.
>>
File: 20151210_112118_HDR-picsay.jpg (213 KB, 740x972) Image search: [Google]
20151210_112118_HDR-picsay.jpg
213 KB, 740x972
primed in black
will paint them in russian green with red stars, but still tempted to paint them in olive drab with white stars
>>
>>44082502

Surely you could paint 10 of them as non Russians? Are you really that likely to use all of your lend lease slots on just Lees?
>>
>>44082533
they will be All Russian.
if I am going to use lee's in MW American, I will buy 10 more and paint them in olive drab and yellow stars.
>>
So the following have appeared in the Forces database:
>Soviet- BA-10M
>Soviet- M3s (M3 Lee) with long M3 75mm gun
>Soviet- MID-WAR MONSTER T-43
>Soviet- Sporadic Air Support P-39 Kobra
>Soviet- T-34/57
>Soviet- T-34/57 with Mariya Oktyabrskaya
>Soviet- T-60 obr 1942
There are also a ton of new entries under Germany. None of these are connected to any lists-it comes up blank. Is it time?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.